Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Youth Decay posted:

gently caress MLMs, seriously

MLMs are desperation detours for many people unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

Youth Decay posted:

gently caress MLMs, seriously

Sigh, I feel really bad for these people.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

In need of some guidence
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9dq7cd/in_need_of_some_guidence/

quote:

Hey Reddit, newbie here.

My wife and I are currently trying to find some options to set ourselves up for better financial success. My wife is an accountant, and I have my EE degree but I am currently working at a restaurant until I can find a decent job.

I want to preface that we live in Washington State.

Currently we have about $190k in debt. $25k in credit cards (mostly mine with absurdly high interest rates), and about $160k in other debt. We have about $140k in student loan debt combined, $15k for our truck, and $8k for our wedding we just had.

Now for the interesting part. We are buying property from my grandparents for our starter place. My grandparents own an orchard, split into two parcels. One is 7.5 acres that we live on, and the other is 10 acres that they live on.

Our lot that we want to buy and split from the 7.5 has a single wide trailer that can't be financed (due to it being a tin shack), and an acre of property. We settled on 100k for the price and are currently renting to own. We are paying $750 a month in rent, and we haven't got an estimate done on the place or done any legitamate paperwork.

My grandparents are in the hole about $15k because my grandpas orchard hasn't made money in the last few years, and they are behind on their taxes (2.5 years behind) for the 10 acre parcel. Because they are planning to sell an acre to us, the part we live on is up to date on taxes. My grandpa is likely on his last year of farming, and unless they sell some property (the family doesn't want this to happen), I don't see anyway for them to be able to get out of this hole.

What I want to figure out is whether it would be a good idea to take out a "property loan" or something similar to give to my grandparents, and in turn they use that money to pay off their bills, and "Gift" some of the loaned money to us to reduce our debts. I think this would be beneficial to whipe our hands clean of credit cards with something with a much lower interest rate, and giving my grandparents some emergency funds. I was told we would need 25% down for a property loan, which could be managable, however as an accountant (and CPA) there are certain grey areas that my wife cannot delve into.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, and if I left out some key details, please let me know!!

Thank you so much!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what is wrong with these people

isn't an EE like the most employable of humans assuming marginal competence

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
Whipe my debt: a wealth building pivot in the fast paced rent to own trailer world. DLC content includes exclusive orchard plot and weasel mount

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I could see problems if he had a poor GPA. But his wife is an accountant. What are they spending money on?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nirvikalpa posted:

I could see problems if he had a poor GPA. But his wife is an accountant. What are they spending money on?

ads, if the accountants I know are any indicator

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
What if, like, people didn't buy the thing?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/dont-buy-stuff/n12020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
wasnt blue story an accountant

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

bob dobbs is dead posted:

wasnt blue story an accountant

I think that was Slomo.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Yond Cassius posted:

I think that was Slomo.

Slomo worked in finance, I'm pretty sure trying to be an actuary or something. Blue Story was an accountant.

Both handled other people's money for their jobs and were utterly incapable of handling their own finances.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

She's an accountant. He's an electrical engineer. They have $200K in debt and live in "a single wide trailer that can't be financed (due to it being a tin shack)" on an orchard that's so unprofitable the owners are two years behind on their taxes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Slomo worked in finance, I'm pretty sure trying to be an actuary or something. Blue Story was an accountant.

Both handled other people's money for their jobs and were utterly incapable of handling their own finances.

A mechanic's car is frequently a piece of poo poo. Then again, it still functions. Unlike their finances.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A mechanic's car is frequently a piece of poo poo. Then again, it still functions. Unlike their finances.

But the mechanic also has 6 cars, of which only 1 functions.

Then again, a lot of these people have a pile of credit cards, of which only one has a small sliver of available credit. Analogy checks out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Assuming marginal competence in engineering graduates is how a whole lot of money gets spent to hire someone demonstrably competent to fix their foul-ups. At consultants' rates.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The cobbler's children have no shoes. Being an accountant can be many things including being able to file NY State bank tax returns and only doing those returns 80 hours a week every week of your life. That doesn't really help you manage your finances other than the huge paychecks you get.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My stepbrother had a 5-10 year old BMW. Apprentice mechanic.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'm an anesthesiologist and I can't get my kid to go to sleep!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm an anesthesiologist and I can't get my kid to go to sleep!

have u considered... applying your professional skills

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
All problems are solved with propofol

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

have u considered... applying your professional skills

Good idea

I just sent my son an invoice for $900 for reimbursement for his weekly allowance because although my household is technically in his insurance network, I'm considered an independent contractor by my wife and as a result am allowed to balance-bill him

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lead out in cuffs posted:

She's an accountant. He's an electrical engineer. They have $200K in debt and live in "a single wide trailer that can't be financed (due to it being a tin shack)" on an orchard that's so unprofitable the owners are two years behind on their taxes.

Their budget is 1.3m for a new townhouse in Toronto. Welcome... to house hunters.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Right now if you have a pulse and an EE degree you should be able to at least get some $25/hr contract work at a factory with no benefits. It's not great but better than a restaurant and if he did that for a year he would have something on his resume. The job market is insane right now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Their budget is 1.3m for a new townhouse in Toronto. Welcome... to house hunters.

1.3m CANADIAN DOLLARS.

They really should translate that to real money for other audiences.

Now I want to see a Venezuelan House Hunters where the house is 2 trillion Bolivars.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

Jobs was a loving rear end in a top hat so having the ability to tweet any random thought would have gone a long way to dispelling any good notions about his personality or managerial prowess. It would not have been a net positive.

I had a very short stint at Apple and during a training teleconference about HR policies and how we were supposed to treat co-workers I made a probably ill-advised comment that Steve Jobs violated all of these.

I just finished reading Lisa Brennan Job’s autobiography, and yeah, Jobs is a huge rear end in a top hat. He def shunned Lisa for 10ish years just because he was not invited to one of her introductory college events (the reason: her mom went to that event, he was invited to the next one).

People are making a fuss over how he looks bad in her book (not all bad though) and honestly, at this point I don’t know why people are so surprised. Everyone new he was an immature rear end in a top hat who just happened to be a genius at product design.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Right now if you have a pulse and an EE degree you should be able to at least get some $25/hr contract work at a factory with no benefits. It's not great but better than a restaurant and if he did that for a year he would have something on his resume. The job market is insane right now.

Yeah, there's no excuse. Either he went to an unaccredited school (shouldn't matter, honestly) or he's put close to no effort into finding those jobs. Everyone I know in the industry is being harassed by headhunters to fill entry-level positions, no matter their actual experience.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Now I want to see a Venezuelan House Hunters where the house is 2 trillion Bolivars.

Expensive yesterday, cheap tomorrow.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

quote:

So I recently stumbled upon some YouTube videos where people use a special strategy in a dice game and earn some Bitcoin or altcoins.

e.g. here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZk3ZrMb8Hg
I'm wondering if this is a legit way of earning some Bitcoin on the side?

Does anyone have any long term experience with this? :)

I already tried it out a few hours with a token that is already preloladed into your account by the site, but not with real BTC. Seems good so far but I'm still unsure if I should deposit real Bitcoin.

Seems like a good way to make up for trading losses lol

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Gee, I wonder if it's martingale

Fake edit: yep it's martingale

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Elysium posted:

~Gambling method~

Including automated betting sliders is a great way to trick idiots into thinking they've just invented the Martingale system

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Yond Cassius posted:

I think that was Slomo.

Did that go to the goldmine, or do you need archives to read it? I wouldn’t mind going through that one, again. As I recall, Goons were dunking on him pretty good with fan-fiction in his own thread, and that’s like my favorite thing that Goons do.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

My favorite post from the SlowMo thread

quote:

The 5000 is only on lift days and even at that I probably rarely hit it. I stopped making gains in the summer and decided calories were the bottleneck. I make sure to get 400g of protein and then eat everything in sight.

Typical lift day eating:

breakfast:

2 cups rice

4 eggs

3 scoops whey protein

SNACKS:

3 cans of pepsi

3 candy bars

3 hard boiled eggs

10 cups of coffee with 3 or 4 .5oz half and halfs each

4 PB&J sandwiches

4 bananas/apples or equivalent in other fruit.

Lunch:

2 fried chicken breast

2 corn dogs

500g FAGE full fat total greek yogurt

1 16oz redbull

Dinner:

16oz fruit juice

2 cups rice

2 grilled chicken breast

4 scoops whey protein

3 cups grilled vegetables

3 nice big chocolate chip cookies

I'm making mad gains on my lifts that I wasn't in the summer. But I've also gone from ~12% to ~20% bodyfat.

Whateves. I'll cut in the spring.

edit - I spell good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Did that go to the goldmine, or do you need archives to read it? I wouldn’t mind going through that one, again. As I recall, Goons were dunking on him pretty good with fan-fiction in his own thread, and that’s like my favorite thing that Goons do.

It was in the regular BFC forum about a month ago. Might still be there, just back a few pages.

I'm sad that he just got mad, decided "I'm not homeless. I'm going to be rich later, so I'm fine," and then left the thread without a conclusion.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Grumpwagon posted:

My favorite post from the SlowMo thread

lol what a dumbass, that's like a Ronnie Coleman diet there.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

Yeah, there's no excuse. Either he went to an unaccredited school (shouldn't matter, honestly) or he's put close to no effort into finding those jobs. Everyone I know in the industry is being harassed by headhunters to fill entry-level positions, no matter their actual experience.

If I'm a betting man, they're in Eastern Washington, and refuse to move, so there aren't any loving jobs, because nobody loving lives there.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I think you need Archives to read it, but here's the link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560557

Also don't forget his spreadsheets:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

.Z. posted:

I think you need Archives to read it, but here's the link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560557

Also don't forget his spreadsheets:

What a thread, as I'm now a tenth of a way through it. And unfortunately, I see some of myself in there (high debt, bad impulse control, enjoyment over the act of spending money), though thankfully I don't wear clothes that ugly, take out 401k loans, or act like big bar tabs means you're a baller.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

metallicaeg posted:

What a thread, as I'm now a tenth of a way through it. And unfortunately, I see some of myself in there (high debt, bad impulse control, enjoyment over the act of spending money), though thankfully I don't wear clothes that ugly, take out 401k loans, or act like big bar tabs means you're a baller.

My dude aren't you the guy with 30k in CC debt, shaky income and a Swiss watch habit? I'm not trying to cast any judgement here but reading Slow Motion shouldn't make you feel especially great about your situation.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My dude aren't you the guy with 30k in CC debt, shaky income and a Swiss watch habit? I'm not trying to cast any judgement here but reading Slow Motion shouldn't make you feel especially great about your situation.

Maybe you misread my post, as it didn't make me feel great about it. Without trying to go into too much self-posting in this thread, the debt has been nearly all refinanced onto very low interest rates, the income has stabilized and risen, and the watch habit has been under control, but it's drat near a daily fight to keep it that way, given how broken my mind is with buying things and the job situation being sorted out and working well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

metallicaeg posted:

Maybe you misread my post, as it didn't make me feel great about it. Without trying to go into too much self-posting in this thread, the debt has been nearly all refinanced onto very low interest rates, the income has stabilized and risen, and the watch habit has been under control, but it's drat near a daily fight to keep it that way, given how broken my mind is with buying things and the job situation being sorted out and working well.

I had definitely misread your post. Keep up the good work.