Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
How do people break-in their surround speakers? My music is only 2.1. Is there a way to play my MP3s that I stream to my PS3 and out my Pioneer 1018 over all 7 speakers I have now?

When playing a 5.1 blu-ray is it possible to have my two rear speakers mimic the two side speakers, so they will at least be utilized despite playing the same audio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Phillyt posted:

Ugh. OK. I'll spend some time looking into this. Thanks.

Honestly I think your best option is a secondhand receiver from a thrift store. If nothing else, it would be a cheap experiment :)

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

KingKapalone posted:

How do people break-in their surround speakers? My music is only 2.1. Is there a way to play my MP3s that I stream to my PS3 and out my Pioneer 1018 over all 7 speakers I have now?

When playing a 5.1 blu-ray is it possible to have my two rear speakers mimic the two side speakers, so they will at least be utilized despite playing the same audio?

your receiver should be matrixing sound to 7.1 out of a 5.1 signal if im not mistaken when playing blu ray movies.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Omegaslast posted:

your receiver should be matrixing sound to 7.1 out of a 5.1 signal if im not mistaken when playing blu ray movies.

ok thanks I've yet to setup the speakers yet, so I don't know if anything happens automatically.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

vanilla slimfast posted:

Honestly I think your best option is a secondhand receiver from a thrift store. If nothing else, it would be a cheap experiment :)

I wish I could find something smaller. I don't want a giant thing on my desk. The Logitech Z-5500 receiver control box was really the best in terms of size but I sold those speakers.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
Would either of these receivers work?

Sony STRDE197 Stereo Receiver

or

Sherwood RX-4105 Stereo Receiver

Again, I want to hook up Macbook, Record Player (already has a phono preamp so I just have your standard red/white dual RCA cable hookup for the output), and possibly consoles such as Wii or 360 to the receiver to be output to stereo headphones with amp and Audioengine A2 stereo speakers that may or may not have a sub. Thanks for the help.

Also, I realized size doesn't matter as I can simply place this under or above my record player depending on the size of the unit.

Edit: I realized my dad had an "old" Marantz receiver (late 1990's). I could take it from him (I'd be taking it from my mom as he's passed away and my mom doesn't use it). However, I don't know what model this is and I know he also had an amplifier to go with it. Would that mean that I can't use it with my current set up?

Phillyt fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 21, 2009

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I want to connect headphones to my new HDTV (a Samsung 7 series LED TV), which doesn't have any dedicated headphone jack. I've tried plugging them directly into the "Audio Out" jack. This actually works, the only problem is that I can't control the volume at all - the TV will ignore any attempt to change the volume through this output.

I can't change it up or down. Because my headphones are pretty low-impedance, it doesn't lack power to drive them, it's actually usually too loud, not too quiet.

What do I need to solve this problem? I assume a headphone amp would do it, but it seems like overkill. Is there a better solution? Or, can anyone recommend a cheap amp that would be appropriate here?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Just got an Onkyo 607, now I need speakers. Suggestions?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

BiohazrD posted:

Just got an Onkyo 607, now I need speakers. Suggestions?

http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/store/Speakers/33/144763/9_1_-1_103__0_0_0_-1/

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
I think I may have found my solution!

Sima SVS-14 4 Input Manual A/V Selector. While it can't do headphone audio (I believe the headphone audio port is just for monitoring), it seems to be able to do everything else I need. What do you guys think?

There is also this Sony SB-V40S A/V Selector which appears to be the same thing with just a brand name.

I suppose I could use a headphone switch on the line out to choose between headphones and speakers? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Edit: Here is an example of a headphone switch: Plantronics PC Headset Speaker Switch.

Second Edit: Just as a reminder, I wish to hook up my Macbook, record player/preamp, and possible a console or two to Audioengine A2's(powered speakers) and/or headphones/amp.

Phillyt fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 22, 2009

CamptonFox50
Mar 25, 2006
Anyone able to suggest some free software designed to extract audio from DVD's?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

CamptonFox50 posted:

Anyone able to suggest some free software designed to extract audio from DVD's?

Generally, I use SmartRipper.

Go to the settings tab and select "Split every chapter" and then simply select the chapters you want, go to the "Stream Processing" tab and uncheck video output. If the DVD has multiple audio streams you'll need to select which one.

Anyways, you will either get an AC3 file (if it is a surround rip) or a PCM file, which you can then convert to MP3/FLAC/Whatever.

CamptonFox50
Mar 25, 2006

BiohazrD posted:

Generally, I use SmartRipper.

Checking it out right now. That's great that you can select chapters. Awesome.

Captain Libido
Jun 17, 2003

Phillyt posted:

I think I may have found my solution!
:words:

I'm in the same boat with you as I now have a DTV box, 5-disc changer and two computers I'd like to hook up to my headphones and speakers, the difference being I actually have a headphone amp with a loop out.

The Sima unit looks serviceable for your headphone situation I think. I actually found a local eBay listing for this GE switch for considerably cheaper than Amazon so I'll probably pick that up. Thanks for the tip! :cheers:

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
When I have the Dayton 8" Sub plugged into my Audioengine A2 speakers, what volume control will control the whole system?

If I have my source output plugged into the sub then the output from the sub plugged into the speakers; will changing the volume of the speakers change the volume of the sub simultaneously, changing the volume of the sub change the volume of the speakers simultaneously, or neither, they are independent of each other? If I go the other way for the source, that is, source output to speakers, then speakers to sub, will that allow me to control the sub through the speakers? I basically don't want to have to bend down to control the sub volume.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Phillyt posted:

When I have the Dayton 8" Sub plugged into my Audioengine A2 speakers, what volume control will control the whole system?
The source volume control.

quote:

If I have my source output plugged into the sub then the output from the sub plugged into the speakers; will changing the volume of the speakers change the volume of the sub simultaneously,
No, the furthest equip. down the line has no affect on what is further up the line

quote:

changing the volume of the sub change the volume of the speakers simultaneously, or neither,
It may, depending on the xover in the sub

quote:

they are independent of each other?
It's a signal trail, it comes from point A and goes to point Z.. everything can affect what is further down, but nothing can affect what it gets.

quote:

If I go the other way for the source, that is, source output to speakers, then speakers to sub, will that allow me to control the sub through the speakers?
Do the speakers have a sub output? Not what you posted..

quote:

I basically don't want to have to bend down to control the sub volume.
Perhaps use a source signal or preamp that you can control at one point, and leave your gear to work as it is expected to?

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Sniep posted:

Do the speakers have a sub output? Not what you posted..

I've been told by the manufacturer that the speakers inputs also function as outputs.

Sorry that I ask so many questions about this. I just want to fully research what I'm getting into before I purchase so I don't have any headaches later.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I'm working on piecing together a budget stereo, and already have a Sansui 881 receiver (http://www.classicaudio.com/value/san/881.html) and a set of B&W 603 S2 floorstanders. The Sansui has more than enough current to drive the crap out of these speakers, but I want to clean up some of the hum and noise.

I am already planning on recapping it with high-quality caps, but I'm wondering if removing the tuner, bypassing the tone controls/muting/loudness/speaker selector, rewiring the inside with new high-quality wire, replacing the RCA and speaker jacks with new good-quality units, and replacing the volume control and source selector with new pieces would be a good move. I'll have no issue performing the work, and it's not exactly going to cost me an arm and leg, but if it won't provide any benefit, or will cause problems, I'm not going to do more than recap.

Any thoughts? I have the strangest feeling that, with careful planning and work, I can spend a few dollars and have a really stellar "integrated amplifier".

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Phillyt posted:

I've been told by the manufacturer that the speakers inputs also function as outputs.

That doesn't make any sense unless they meant they are just hard wired together... which would be a terrible design flaw in other ways.

Also, upon looking at the spects, the 5 model has a sub out, the 2 does not.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Sniep posted:

That doesn't make any sense unless they meant they are just hard wired together... which would be a terrible design flaw in other ways.

Also, upon looking at the spects, the 5 model has a sub out, the 2 does not.

I figured out what I'm going to do. It's ghetto as gently caress but it'll work. I am going to just swap out the headphone or speaker line out cable in my laptop and swap out the record player or 360 line in on my laptop. Since I'll only be using one at a time, it's really not a big deal considering the cables will be on my desk right in front of me and no different than pushing a button. I might buy a little chord or something at Monoprice so that I don't cause any stress to the Macbook line in and out from all the switching.

I should also add, the 5 model is above my budget and too big. As are the other popular bookshelf designs. I really love the size of the A2's as they are perfect for my desk and room.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Phillyt posted:

stuff

Well, you can solve it however you like but I go back to my initial statement that I made, that the source volume control should be the only volume control.

Here is how it would work:

1. Whatever your main signal out is, goes into sub.
2. Your sub outputs feed the speakers.
3. You set the speakers to approx. 60-75% volume.
4. You set the sub to fill that in conservatively.
5. Then, you use the source volume control to control both of their output, tweaking their respective volumes when necessary.

It's not going to require climbing under your desk unless you set the sub too high or far too low, and just keep your fingers off the volume on both of them after you have them set properly.

Am I missing something in here that was a problem with that setup?

Sniep fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 25, 2009

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Sniep posted:

:words:

You aren't missing anything. The issue is the inputs and outputs I have. If all I had was my computer and the speakers, there wouldn't be a problem. However due to the other inputs and outputs I want to use, it makes my situation more complicated. I think I found my solution though.

Does constantly unplugging and plugging in a cable to a jack cause stress on the jack? Would it be wise for me to buy an adapter to go in between the Macbook jacks and the outputs/inputs? I plan on routing the video game and record player sound through the line in on the Macbook and routing the headphones and speaker sound on the line out on the Macbook. I haven't really found a single 3.5mm male to 3.5mm female adapter that will work so I don't cause stress on the Macbook's jacks.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

There's also this 3.0 kit if you can't possibly put the tower rears anywhere: http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/store/Speakers/33/144790//
And this has two sets of the larger towers for $50 more:
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/store/Speakers/33/144762//

How would these compare to Klipsch Reference RF-5s for music? I'd like to get surround sound that's still good for stereo audio. What's keeping me from going with getting center/surrounds from Klipsch is that either of the matching centers are too tall for my furniture to accommodate (not to mention only available secondhand at this point) but the Jamo would fit.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent amplifier for use with a couple bookshelf speakers for a computer? I'd also like for it to have adjustable bass / treble (if that doesn't make it way too expensive) and outputs for a sub (either a low level or extra line-level outputs). I don't need it to go super loud. Am I better off just getting a receiver to do this?

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

Glottis posted:

Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent amplifier for use with a couple bookshelf speakers for a computer? ...
... Am I better off just getting a receiver to do this?

Asking a similar question here. Just picked up some Polk M40s http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290011 from newegg to replace my busted rear end Logitech 5.1 system from 7-8 years ago. I would like something that would provide decent power, cuz sometimes a playa need to bump, and would prefer it to be upgradeable, IE I could hold onto this receiver for a few years and eventually add on the rest of a surround system. 7.1 for future Blu-ray usage would also be a plus. I would also VERY MUCH like to use a SPDIF input. I can directly output that in Coax or Optical form straight from my computer into the amp, analog L/R RCA would require me using an adapter, and I don't like doing that for some reason.

Came up with these selections so far:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882103411
Meets all my requests, a few bucks more than I set out to spend, but also seems well featured. Read a bunch of reviews, all said it was too expensive at 700$ or whatever the MSRP was at launch, and now that it is cheaper, most reviews are positive. I haven't heard anything particularly good or bad concerning Panasonic in the home stereo world.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115193
Less features, 5.1 vs 7.1, less dollars, seemingly more reputable brand. Again, all reviews seem to be positive. Lower power output than the Panasonic, but probably higher chance that the amp is actually producing claimed watts due to better brand (is this true or am I making this poo poo up? Are the brands really that different or am I committing too many "my friend has one and says it sucks" anecdotes to fact?) Also, this one seems to not be able to decode as many things. How many DTS DOLBY EX PRO LOGIC IIx things do I need to decode?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120130
Everybody seems to jizz all over ONKYO. Less powerful than both of the above, doesn't decode a lot of things, but hella brand quality apparently.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-A...40901998&sr=8-1
Save all my money and just amp what I have now. Save some money, buy a crazy good receiver when the time comes.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Is there any danger in using a speaker with an impedance lower than what the amp/receiver was designed for? The 607 is 8ohms but I have some temporary speakers that I would like to use for a while that are only 4ohms.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I just ordered the Polk Monitor 70's on sale at Newegg to replace my nearly 15 year old Bose 301's (that I bought when I was in 9th grade)...good deal? I've never heard the Monitor 70's and I've been out of the speaker/home theater game for a long time.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3144062&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Convince me not to buy these speakers for 180.

Crouton
Feb 10, 2006
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, cuz there's bugger all down here on Earth.
Can someone help me identify this speaker? I got it for free when an electronics store closed down years ago, it was in a homemade box, but don't know what it actually is. Best guess is it's from a guitar or bass amp, but googling hasn't given me many answers.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/8d/8d2ce528eec0cc172973f7b5e58ed0020dfba84c.jpg

https://wi.somethingawful.com/ef/ef83afbebf50b951625f6adf72da9b741e35b0c5.jpg

https://wi.somethingawful.com/5c/5cc010de763dbc2674082d2585136b4eb1d3fa92.jpg

https://wi.somethingawful.com/61/611dfe24293d0df365b72426af398e0e033b2b85.jpg

The only markings on it are the Blues logo on the front and back, the 1171791/8 OHM on the side of the magnet, and the plate in the blurry picture says BL 12 - 8 ohm Serial No. 001222.

Apparently Celestion makes a BL-series, but that doesn't seem to be the right one. I'm leaning towards it being from a Fender Blues Series guitar amp, but I haven't been able to find a picture of one outside the amp for comparison, and it doesn't say Fender anywhere on it, only Blues.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

BiohazrD posted:

Is there any danger in using a speaker with an impedance lower than what the amp/receiver was designed for? The 607 is 8ohms but I have some temporary speakers that I would like to use for a while that are only 4ohms.
:siren: Yes. Do not do this. You will fry your amp.

You said plural. Do you have a setup where you could wire extra speakers in series to increase the impedance?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Dominoes posted:

:siren: Yes. Do not do this. You will fry your amp.

You said plural. Do you have a setup where you could wire extra speakers in series to increase the impedance?

Then why are people on this very page suggesting that I use 6 ohm speakers with a receiver rated for 8?

The only thing I'm really worried about is the center channel.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34158

It's confusing as hell.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Can anyone recommend a 5.1 system for around 100$? I'm not looking for anything extraordinary, just a system I can plug my ipod, tv, or xbox into.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I want to build an integrated amp. Preferably with the ability to switch between at least the following sources:

Tape
Ext
Turntable
CD

What are my options? Kits? Books with diagrams from the library? My friend builds cabinets and all sorts of junk and she says there are plenty of reference materials, I just don't know where to start looking.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 29, 2009

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
So I just want to buy a pair of speakers so that I can play music out of my laptop/ipod for parties. I'm looking for something that will have some bass, and hopefully sound good, but not gigantic, expensive, or complicated. Basically I'm hoping for two speaker boxes that I can just pull out and plug directly into my laptop and be happy with.

Now with that said, I know absolutely nothing about audio equipment, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to get into things like receivers and amplifiers or whatever and hopefully have it just be as simple as computer speakers but capable of doing what I'd like.

So anyway, I browsed Amazon very quickly this morning and came across these: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-Bookshelf-Speakers-Woofer/dp/B000OG6I6A/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243612115&sr=1-22

Would I be able to plug those directly into a headphone jack (like the one on my ipod/laptop) or would I have to get an adapter?

Are those even the best choice for what I'm looking for?

I might be making this seem very specific or complicated, it's not. To clarify I just want a simple set of speakers that has some power to it that I can plug directly into my laptop and hopefully not cost much more than $100.

Seventeen-Five
Apr 27, 2008
My left speaker cuts in and out, which I believe is due to a loose connection. If I just reenforce the connectors with extra soder will my problem be fixed or will I just gently caress it up more?

I tried to get pictures of the two connectors. Can anyone tell me if these look like lovely connections?

[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/bdf732ba73cf49d5b0fe9f0c17400d8b82366c12/t/IMG_1189[1][/img]
Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

And here is the whole unit, if it helps:

[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/a0b408ce4e799b58d304816fbc93195ab65d08ab/t/IMG_1187[1][/img]

Seventeen-Five fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 29, 2009

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

tranceMiNuS posted:

So anyway, I browsed Amazon very quickly this morning and came across these: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-Bookshelf-Speakers-Woofer/dp/B000OG6I6A/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243612115&sr=1-22

Would I be able to plug those directly into a headphone jack (like the one on my ipod/laptop) or would I have to get an adapter?

Are those even the best choice for what I'm looking for?

I might be making this seem very specific or complicated, it's not. To clarify I just want a simple set of speakers that has some power to it that I can plug directly into my laptop and hopefully not cost much more than $100.
No. Those are unamplified speakers, they need a separate amplifier or receiver to function. You want active speakers. With $100 you're pretty much left with computer speakers or maybe some cheap Behringers. You could also go through garage sales for cheap bookshelves and amp.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Glottis posted:

Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent amplifier for use with a couple bookshelf speakers for a computer? I'd also like for it to have adjustable bass / treble (if that doesn't make it way too expensive) and outputs for a sub (either a low level or extra line-level outputs). I don't need it to go super loud. Am I better off just getting a receiver to do this?

Quoting my own post but I found this amp that seems to do what I want. Does anyone have any thoughts about it?

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PTA2-2x40W-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B0013CDZDI/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Glottis posted:

Quoting my own post but I found this amp that seems to do what I want. Does anyone have any thoughts about it?

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PTA2-2x40W-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B0013CDZDI/
If you have sensitive speakers like say 90dB or above it might be worth a shot. From what I've read about these they're just a little more powerful than a T-Amp.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
Many years ago I picked up a JBL E150P Subwoofer for my HT. Several years after that I purchased a HTIB, Onkyo brand, for a new apartment. As far as I can tell the subwoofer that came with it is an SKW-540, which seems to resemble an SKW-204.

I really have no idea which subwoofer is better at this point... So, which one would you hook up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Straithate posted:

Many years ago I picked up a JBL E150P Subwoofer for my HT. Several years after that I purchased a HTIB, Onkyo brand, for a new apartment. As far as I can tell the subwoofer that came with it is an SKW-540, which seems to resemble an SKW-204.

I really have no idea which subwoofer is better at this point... So, which one would you hook up?

This is a purely uninformed decision, based solely on looks, but I'd say the JBL a thousand times over the HTIB include unit. Try them yourself and compare?