Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
A double exposure of sunset and twilight of the iconic canyon junction bridge view of Zion. First time trying focus stacking and double exposure with about 8.5 hours difference in the shots.

and some more star shots from that week

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Holy poo poo.

:swoon:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

A double exposure of sunset and twilight of the iconic canyon junction bridge view of Zion. First time trying focus stacking and double exposure with about 8.5 hours difference in the shots.

But, why?

It is not good, at all.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

bobmarleysghost posted:

But, why?

It is not good, at all.

Looked good on my phone. :shrug:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

But, why?

It is not good, at all.

Sorry bro.

But to rub it in since you’re being a troll, that photo paid for my whole trip.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I can only see the last two pictures.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Sorry bro.

One consistent thing about your years-long career of terrible posting in the Dorkroom is that you still can't seem to distinguish between anyone disliking your boring brand of dentist office photography and trolling.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Learn to distinguish between hard knock critique and trolling.

You're getting a hojillion upvotes for it on reddit's hugbox but in the rough and tumble something awful comedy forum you gonna get it straight.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Sorry bro.

I was not being a troll. I'm 100% serious when i tell you that that is a garbage tier photo. The fact that someone paid money for it is a testament that people will buy literally anything and have no taste.
I'm happy that you found your niche though.

Also it's cute that you think that I care how you pay for your trips.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It’s cuter that you think I care for your garbage tier critique. If you had put any thought into your comment I would have replied in kind like I did in the landscape thread.

xzzy posted:

Learn to distinguish between hard knock critique and trolling.

You're getting a hojillion upvotes for it on reddit's hugbox but in the rough and tumble something awful comedy forum you gonna get it straight.

Funny, because that’s exactly how I got this title.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Bottom Liner posted:

Sorry bro.

lmao this is always a good line to use

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s cuter that you think I care for your garbage tier critique. If you had put any thought into your comment I would have replied in kind like I did in the landscape thread.

What did you think the response would be here to the 2018 equivalent of tonemapped images? It's the same view we've all seen hundreds of times, with some ridiculous post-processing. It's a lovely photo, the photographic equivalent of a collectible eagle figurine, easily digestible schlock. You've sold another print, Mr. Kinkade, congratulations.,

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I would have replied in kind like I did in the landscape thread.

You didn't answer any of my questions.
You literally just said "It's shot at 100ISO".

I can't give better critique because the photo is so bad that it doesn't deserve any thorough thought.
You posted a composite of two poo poo high noise over filtered over sharpened boring photos and didn't get the praise you thought you might get.

Why would I waste my time by thinking critically about what you posted when what you posted is troll level garbage?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just post

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Astoundingly awful.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

tag urself im the dark matter void consuming the sky at the bottom of the frame

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

I would prefer you didn't

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

Sorry bro.

How much do we have to pay you to go into the desert and not come back this time?

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 8, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Depends what kind of dessert.

Zank Frappa
Oct 16, 2006
Freak me out Frank.

drat I wish I got to see that photo before it got took down.

Edit: oh no it is there I just suck at using my phone. So if I post a photo and get no comments I am actually receiving goon acceptance? Feels good.

Zank Frappa fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 15, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Generally yes. You know you really hit it big when someone actually compliments an image.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Bottom Liner posted:

People that say "its cute you think i care" are always ashamed of how much they actually care

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

Generally yes. You know you really hit it big when someone actually compliments an image.

But .. but .. one can dream!

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Did these supposedly lovely pics get taken down? Tried clicking on them on the phone and copy/pasting the links. Nada.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

July 16th

Moon shot

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Man, I can never get the night sky in focus that well. Even got a bahtinov mask and everything. :|

Moon & Venus from last night:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Share your settings?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Javid posted:

Man, I can never get the night sky in focus that well. Even got a bahtinov mask and everything. :|

Using Live View zoomed on a bright star and manually adjusting the focus until the star is as small as possible is a fairly solid method.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Went out to AZ and only had a mini tripod with me for the trip so I didn't get the greatest long exposures but they were fun to do still.

Long Exposures of Bell Rock by Peter Crain, on Flickr

Sedona by Peter Crain, on Flickr

Long Exposures of Bell Rock by Peter Crain, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Local church that I've always found to be a bit ominous.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's Perseid time again, and after a couple years completely loving it up I want to try and get it right this time. Anyone in here with experience shooting meteors that can confirm/deny the validity of this guy's claims?

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/meteor.photography/

tl;dr is basically "f1.4 or go home" and his premise seems to be that you need to maximize the physical size of the aperture to capture the dim meteors. The example he gives is that a 35mm 1.4 lens' max aperture is 25mm across, compared to the human eye of 7mm.. so the lens is physically capable of passing more light to the sensor.

He claims that as the focal length decreases, the diameter of the max aperture goes down meaning that ultra wide lenses have trouble capturing meteors. This is a characteristic of lenses I was unaware of, and haven't been able to confirm because the diameter of the aperture in millimeters doesn't seem to get published.

With my gear on hand the best I'll be able to do is my 17-55 f2.8, which if I read his table correctly means all my pictures are gonna be poo poo.

Does this agree with anyone else's experiences?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

He claims that as the focal length decreases, the diameter of the max aperture goes down meaning that ultra wide lenses have trouble capturing meteors. This is a characteristic of lenses I was unaware of, and haven't been able to confirm because the diameter of the aperture in millimeters doesn't seem to get published.

f-number = focal length / aperture diameter. So, yes, all his nonsense about aperture diameter is correct if unimportant. You use the ratio in the first place because f/1.4 lets in the same amount of light at 50mm as it does at 200mm.

I've never shot a meteor shower before, but I imagine getting to a place with low light pollution will have more of an impact than the difference between f/1.4 and f/2.8. Bump up the ISO, a bit of noise isn't he end of the world.

tk fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 3, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, some corner of my brain knew that but in reading his very dense page it never really surfaced. I read up a bit more on it and his whole premise seems to focus on delivering the maximum number of photons to the sensor, and his experience has shown that 35mm f/1.4 does the best job of that. It's some relationship that I don't fully understand between the brightness of celestial objects, the lens transferring light (and invariably losing some of it due to limits of efficiency), and the pixel density on the sensor.

But intuitively I think he's right. My past two years of attempts capturing the Perseids were done at something like 10mm @ f3.5 (iso 400-1600, I change it a lot trying to capture something) and I got literally nothing, even in cases where I knew I had the shutter open and witnessed a meteor streaking past. The light apparently wasn't "big" enough to register on the sensor.

I think I might rent a 24mm 1.4 for next weekend, just to put it to the test. Since I shoot crop, 35mm seems like it would be too narrow and I want a little more vista in the shots.

edit - on thinking about it, an easier way for me to understand what's going on is that as FOV increases, each meteor gets smaller as projected on the sensor so it would need to be brighter to be recorded. Or run at really high ISO, but there's diminishing returns on that choice.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 3, 2018

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

e: oops wrong thread

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trip report: can confirm that f/1.4 @1600 improves results a hell of a lot. I did side by side tests with an f/2.8 lens and it just wasn't pulling enough light to capture meteors.

I got really lucky with this one, I was just starting to pack up all my poo poo when a flash lit up everything around me for a fraction of a second. Look up and see a fading smudge in Casseopeia. Fortunately the camera was still going.. was my second to last exposure for the night.

Large Perseid Meteor in Casseopeia by xzzy77, on Flickr

I've only been watching meteors for a few years and I've never seen one this bright, not sure how common they are. It was bright enough to clip my whites, where all other meteor shots I have are dim grey spears.

Having my camera's shutter open and it happening to be pointed in the right spot is even more rare. :downs:

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I tried this "night time long exposure" of Oslo.

Oslo by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

ISO 100, f/6.3, 15 seconds exposure.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

That's fantastic! It was a nice night to be out and watch some meteors. I just caught some faint ones:

The meteor is the long horizontal line in the upper left. The shorter, brighter line is a plane. The light at the bottom is lightning.

No meteors in the last one.

azathosk posted:

I tried this "night time long exposure" of Oslo.

Oslo by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

ISO 100, f/6.3, 15 seconds exposure.

I like it!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

My first attempt at a night sky photo (actually thee stitched together). Think it works well, obviously a lot of light pollution in front of/behind the mountains at the base adding a lot of glow.

Stars above Rothornhutte by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

And here's my first attempt at taking a photo of the galaxy. Apart from the obvious framing issues with the tree, and nothing interesting in the horizon, do you guys reckon I overdid it with the editing? I'm just starting to learn how to use lightroom so I'm just pulling sliders this way and that until it looks good to my untrained eye. Any feedback is welcome.

LRM_EXPORT_1695683875781_20180914_221225045 by Pooper Trooper, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a bit heavy on the blues, if accuracy is what you're after the night sky is supposed to be black (absent airglow) and the milky way is a dusty tan.

Read what this guy has to say on it:

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/night.photography.image.processing/

I think the same way he does, you don't have to get quite as spergy with processing but he explains in exhaustive detail what "correct" is. Just avoid going too far, a lot of photographers treat it like a saturation contest and bring out sunset levels of colors.

Unless you like the blue. Lots of people do.