Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I'm starting to lean toward not taking this car, based on what I'm reading. My friend says the "engine lamp" is indicating:

P1128 Lean
P0172 Rich
P0116 engine coolant
Temperature circuit range performance

he says the car isn't getting optimum MPG too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Sounds like your temp sensor is making GBS threads itself. Replace, and that should cure your problems. If that doesn't fix it, clean the MAF and replace the O2 sensor.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

the walkin dude posted:

Hi VW goons! I was referred here from the general questions thread.

I might be buying a '98 VW New Beetle with the 2.0 off my good friend.

My dad had an early '99 New Beetle and drove it for over 100000 miles. The only problem that I remember him having with it for that whole time was the water pump and timing belt dying (at the same time). Granted that's one car and I've heard some horror storied from other people.

For $1000 the price might be right, just don't be surprised if it commits suicide pretty quickly.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
I just bought a 2010 Audi A3 for my fiancee to replace her aging 2000 Civic coupe. I spent some time looking at everything and couldn't pass up the deal on a car that had never been titled and had almost no miles. It is a 2.0t with the s-tronic gearbox. I want to pick up some factory parts for it, primarily; the rear cargo weather mat, mudflaps, and maybe a few other things. I really want to find a definitive reference forum for Audi's online. It was easy with my S2K, C280, Prelude, but a search yields less than desire results. Where are the goons populating/finding wisdom on the Audi forums?

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
quattroworld.com has a good TT and RS 4 forum, and some of the regional forums are busy. Dunno about the A3 specifically, though.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
Maybe not entirely the right place to ask, but what's a recommended product for taking care of VW leather seats like the kind in Jettas and GTIs?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Autism Monday posted:

Maybe not entirely the right place to ask, but what's a recommended product for taking care of VW leather seats like the kind in Jettas and GTIs?

For good shape seats, Lexol is a perennial favorite, I use Zymol's leather conditioner just because I get it for free, but they are all simple hide foods. If you're looking to repair / cover damaged areas, Leatherique.com has some fantastic, custom-colored products.

Aflicted posted:

Audi forums?

audiworld.com

It's too bad that the quattro mailing list didn't make the jump to web forums. It was one of, if not the, first automotive online community... sadly it died.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 1, 2011

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

It's too bad that the quattro mailing list didn't make the jump to web forums. It was one of, if not the, first automotive online community... sadly it died.

Wow...I always though Rennlist one one of the first (96). I just did a quick search and the quatro list started back in 91. Impressive.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Motronic posted:

Wow...I always though Rennlist one one of the first (96). I just did a quick search and the quatro list started back in 91. Impressive.

The quattro list was the only thing available in the early/mid-'90s that could keep an Audi owner sane. It was mostly filled with resistor mods for turbo cars, window/headlight switch repairs and forum drama before there were forums.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

resident posted:

I have a 2004 GTI VR6 with ~80k miles and noticed a ticking coming from the left side of the engine today, seemingly around the serpentine belt area. The tick increases frequency with RPM. I didn't keep the engine running any longer than a couple minutes so I cannot confirm whether or not the tick goes away when the engine warms. So far, no warning lights have come on. From a google search of GTI noises I do not think this is the direct injection ticking that most people freak out about the first time they hear it.

Any ideas what this could be related to? Is it safe to drive >20 miles to get to a mechanic to have it looked at? The only other forum post I've found that might be related is that I haven't had my oil changed for around 6k miles. Could it be low oil pressure? I was rushing to get to work so I didn't have time to check oil pressure before grabbing a ride with a friend. I plan on checking that first thing when I get off work tonight.

The timing chain guides are known to make some racket when they start to go but you'll need to get a look at them to determine that. Low oil pressure is possible but if it was low I would expect to see an oil light warning on in your gauge cluster to warn you. I'm sure it's safe to drive to your local mechanic for some diagnosis.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

timb posted:

The Airbag MIL came on yesterday and I got an airbag malfunction warning on the MFD. After checking it with VAG-COM, it appears to be the an intermittent short to ground on the driver's side seatbelt switch.

The first time, I cleared the code and the car drove fine for an hour. The next time I started it the warning came back.

Looks like all the wiring under the seat is secure, so should I assume the problem is in the switch/buckle itself? I assume I'll need to get an entire new buckle to replace the switch, right? I've also got to remove the seat to do that. Any special tools I'll need?

It's usually in the seatbelt latch wiring either in the latch's microswitch or in the pigtail. I believe you'll need a triple-square socket or a 13 mm wrench to remove it and it's much easier if you unbolt the seat to access it.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

the walkin dude posted:

Hi VW goons! I was referred here from the general questions thread.

I might be buying a '98 VW New Beetle with the 2.0 off my good friend. The thing has 100k miles. He was gonna offload it onto me for $1,500, and then reduced it to $1,000. It's a 5-speed. I plan to drive it to two internships this coming winter and spring, and use it as a daily driver. Just need the car to be in good maintenance-shape. He did the whole oil change/3k miles since gaining possession of the car in '05 at 15k miles.

The car has:

New coolant system & fans in '07 (friend bumped loose a coolant hose during an oil change and it caused the radiator to go kaput)
New brake system ("Custom Wire, Spark Plugs, Brake Pads, rear loaded calipers, rear brake rotors, front wagner brake rotors") in '08
Timing belt change a few years ago
"Suspension parts R&R" in '09 <-- not sure what R&R means
Power steering system flushed & pump replaced in '09
Engine Lamp in '10 <-- not sure what this is
New Coil Pack in '10

What are the trouble spots with those Beetles? Anything left that I should check? The check engine light came on recently and my friend suspects the oxygen sensor might've gone out. How much do those tend to cost to replace?

I asked my friend to have the Beetle checked out at a VW dealership for any needful repairs, especially the rust on the underbody and the suspension.

I'm coming to this car from a Honda Accord that was dutifully reliable and was generally cheap for me. I hear that VW dealership prices are atrocious.

The 2.0 engine is pretty much bulletproof besides the odd coil pack going bad. The 5 speed tranny is also pretty tough so no real worries there. Basically the Beetle is a Golf so you can take it anywhere for service but I suggest that you call your local VW dealer and ask what their shop rate is - people are always surprised when they find out our rate is lower than Canadian Tire's and other local shops.

Oxygen sensors in the 2.0 Beetle aren't usually too bad to replace at all. The only problems that ever crop up are due to corrosion of the sensor where it threads into the exhaust piping but any shop can beat that with a little patience so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Basically, any of the trouble spots that you've heard about for the A4-style Golf/Jetta apply to the Beetle. The only thing I will say about it is that on higher-mileage Beetles, replacing the headlight bulbs can turn into a real pain in the rear end - they have an over-complicated mechanism for removing the assembly to replace the bulbs.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Looking at doing a heater core on an '02 Jetta for a friend, what would be a reasonable 'driveway' rate to charge them? More importantly, what would shop rate be? I'm seeing book time estimates of 8 hours, watched the how to on Youtube and looking at other guides online and it seems like something I'm willing to tackle for the right price.

Depends on how good a friend this person is. The heater core on an A4-style Jetta isn't really too bad to do - it just takes time because of the amount of crap to remove to get the core out. I'd say you'll beat the 8 hour estimate easily and if you're on the ball it's more like 5 hours. You won't need any special tools or anything but make double-sure you've got the correct replacement heater core before you start.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

the walkin dude posted:

I'm starting to lean toward not taking this car, based on what I'm reading. My friend says the "engine lamp" is indicating:

P1128 Lean
P0172 Rich
P0116 engine coolant
Temperature circuit range performance

he says the car isn't getting optimum MPG too.

Both the 1128 and 0172 faults are cat or o2 sensor related - any shop should be able to diagnose that in an hour or less. The 0116 fault is very likely to be a bad coolant temp sensor. On very rare occasions we've found corrosion in the wiring for the sensor which set the same fault but it's far from common.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Neon Machete posted:

Where is the ignition/starter fuse located on the 2002 A6 (2.7T)?

I've checked the fuse box inside the driver's side on the dash and the ECU box under the driver's side plenum and came up with nothing.

Had a bad connection on the starter and I fixed it but the car still won't crank or anything at all, which leads me to believe a fuse blew somewhere. I tried jumping the solenoid manually and it spun, so that's not the issue.

e: Maybe a better question - which relay on the relay carrier is for the starter? I don't think the starter system has a fuse, does it?

I went digging into the wiring diagrams for thee starting system on your A6 but it's a boondoggle. There's no fuse directly related to starting but the J207 relay is for the starter interlock so that might be a good place to start. Did you do a volt-drop test on your starter wires to make sure you're getting full battery power on cranking?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Have you guys ever heard of a corroded fuse box causing warm start problems on a CIS-E car? I'm thinking it must be some mechanical component of the fuel system that has finally gone up the ghost, but the mechanic the 5000S is at is convinced it's electrical in nature.

The O2 sensor seems to be working fine from multimetering it, but maybe the ground I've established when I'm working with the multimeter doesn't reflect the actual ground of the sensor when the car is running otherwise. It's an NA 10v, so no hall effect sensor either.

meatpimp posted:

The quattro list was the only thing available in the early/mid-'90s that could keep an Audi owner sane. It was mostly filled with resistor mods for turbo cars, window/headlight switch repairs and forum drama before there were forums.
The Nissan SE-R mailing list is still ticking, although it's to the effect of 2-3 messages a month with the occasional flurry of activity when its regular posters recognize a name and try to figure out who owns whose car now.

MadMax
Apr 17, 2005
MadMax
I just came into a 1997 Jetta with 50k miles on it, the only catch is I have to get it running, it's been sitting in my friends driveway for the last 2 1/2 years since he got a company car. It was running fine when he parked it but will not start now (I'm assuming/hoping a new battery will do the trick). The only other known issue is that the lock cylinder has fallen out on the driver's side door. I'm heading down to his house to take a look at it this weekend, are there any particular things I should look for or check on it other than the battery. Further, are there any particular hoses/fluids/etc. I should change ASAP, assuming I do get it running or any diagnostic things I should do to check for any other issues?

Also, I'm assuming that a standard set of metric wrenches/sockets will be fine, any particular tools or book(s) I should bring along. The only real car work I have done is replace the spark plugs and alternator on my climbing partner's '89 Vanagon but I'm pretty mechanically inclined.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Timmy Cruise posted:

So I'm at a bit of an impasse on this. I'm getting what feels like a misfire at lower RPMS (say 2000-3500 rpm) while at higher throttle and building boost. The car is stock except for an APR chip. Note that I am getting no misfire codes at all, but there is definitely hesitating...

So far VWVortex and other forums have told me that it could be:
- sparkplugs - easy enough, probably could use them anyway.
- coilpacks - I'm uncertain of their age, so could be plausible.
- MAF - I'm not getting a code for running lean, so less likely?

I'm probably going to start with the plugs, but has anyone had a similar issue? I'd rather not throw parts at this...

Edit - car is a 2000 A4 1.8T with the ATW engine...

Not sure if it's relevant but a coilpack on my 05 MkV GTI died a week ago (I'm overseas, friend was driving) and he took it to VW who said there's a recall on the coilpacks for my model and a bunch of other models. Which is nice atleast in the sense they replaced all 4 for free.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

A couple of questions for MK6 owners: I'd like to enable gauge sweep (staging?) and turn my steering wheel voice control button into a mute button. Can Vag-com do this for a 2011 GTI? Where would I find someone with one - should I just ask some local VW shops if they'd do it for me? I don't mind paying for someone to change settings but I'm not really willing to buy a vag-com :/

Autism Monday fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 8, 2011

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Autism Monday posted:

A couple of questions for MK6 owners: I'd like to enable gauge sweep (staging?) and turn my steering wheel voice control button into a mute button. Can Vag-com do this for a 2011 GTI? Where would I find someone with one - should I just ask some local VW shops if they'd do it for me? I don't mind paying for someone to change settings but I'm not really willing to buy a vag-com :/

I believe the answer to #1 is yes, don't know about #2. I really want to get a cable for myself to play with a bunch of that stuff.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

I'd get it but can't really justify $350+ for changing two settings and then never using the cable again.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Autism Monday posted:

I'd get it but can't really justify $350+ for changing two settings and then never using the cable again.

Go to tdiclub and check out the trusted mechanics list for wherever you live. They will have vag-com because you need it to properly do a timing belt. Or just try posting in the regional section asking if anyone has it and could help you out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Autism Monday posted:

What's wrong with the $50 (and under) cables on eBay?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Motronic posted:

That's what I was wondering, I use an old serial piece of garbage that isn't even enclosed. Still works fine, but I haven't tried it on anything after 2008.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Motronic posted:

I didn't even know they were available there. Thanks, I'll check them out.. what's the type I should get though?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Autism Monday posted:

I didn't even know they were available there. Thanks, I'll check them out.. what's the type I should get though?

I got one that shipped out of Hong Kong for $30 including shipping. It works just fine on things I've hooked it up to, including a 2010 A8. Just search for vagcom and you'll see a bunch of them. I got a USB to OBD-II one to avoid any possible stupidity/compatibility issues with bluetooth, but I may just be over cautious.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

If you get that cable and it works let me know by posting about it here. I have an old hex-usb and it doesn't work on can-bus. It'd be worth for 50 bucks to have one around that does.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

From what I understand it isn't the cable that is the expensive part it it's the software.
To get the software without paying the license for it is getting into :files: territory.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

From what I understand it isn't the cable that is the expensive part it it's the software.
To get the software without paying the license for it is getting into :files: territory.

Oh yea, if the ebay cable uses the ross-tech software that has to be :files: territory.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Isn't their software free to download?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Autism Monday posted:

Isn't their software free to download?

If you buy the cable. When I got mine I had to plug it into a car first or something like that and then I was able to download the software. That was a few years ago though.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/current.html

Seems to be a free download now, unless there's something I'm missing.

gax
Jul 11, 2001
Just bought a 2011 GTI, first VW and I absolutely love this car. I am thinking APR stage 1 will be in the near future.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
98 New Beetle 2.0L 5-speed, 220000 miles. It seems to be running hot, but the temp light doesn't come on. I think only one of the fans is working. I'm going to check into it this weekend but what's the likelihood it's the fan controller vs fan motor failure? Seems like if the controller dies, the A/C won't come on, but my A/C is working.

edit: I guess I should check the temp sensor, too?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Bolkovr posted:

98 New Beetle 2.0L 5-speed, 220000 miles. It seems to be running hot, but the temp light doesn't come on. I think only one of the fans is working. I'm going to check into it this weekend but what's the likelihood it's the fan controller vs fan motor failure? Seems like if the controller dies, the A/C won't come on, but my A/C is working.

Definitely check the fuse on top of the battery first and if its blown then the motor probably needs to be replaced because it is drawing too much current.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

MadMax posted:

I just came into a 1997 Jetta with 50k miles on it, the only catch is I have to get it running, it's been sitting in my friends driveway for the last 2 1/2 years since he got a company car. It was running fine when he parked it but will not start now (I'm assuming/hoping a new battery will do the trick). The only other known issue is that the lock cylinder has fallen out on the driver's side door. I'm heading down to his house to take a look at it this weekend, are there any particular things I should look for or check on it other than the battery. Further, are there any particular hoses/fluids/etc. I should change ASAP, assuming I do get it running or any diagnostic things I should do to check for any other issues?

Also, I'm assuming that a standard set of metric wrenches/sockets will be fine, any particular tools or book(s) I should bring along. The only real car work I have done is replace the spark plugs and alternator on my climbing partner's '89 Vanagon but I'm pretty mechanically inclined.

I had a 95 jetta that had the same lock issue. It's a pretty cheap fix, usually the pin itself breaks off not the actual cylinder. Make sure you change the oil, flush the rad and brakes if it has been sitting for almost 3 years. Odds are you'll need new tires. Depending on if he has ever done the radiator hoses or not those could probably use being replaced also. Which engine does it have in it?

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Bolkovr posted:

Check the fuse first, and if it's okay, try disconnecting the wiring harness to the fan and jump it straight from the battery. If you can get both fans to turn with a direct circuit, then it's not the fan motor, it's something electrical.

MadMax
Apr 17, 2005
MadMax

veedubfreak posted:

Which engine does it have in it?

It has the 2.0L I4/manual trans and is the GL trim line. Thanks for the other info, definitely gives me a good start.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

dissss posted:

North America didn't get the DSG either right?

The normal auto is pretty good in my opinion, but the CVT isn't.

America did get the DSG, but the CVT is very common. It's also not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I found out I'm expecting a child. So we need to replace our 2 door Civic with a "family car." My wife wants something with good gas mileage and a 4 cyl, sedan.

My budget is 15,000.
I'm bored of looking at Camrys, Accords, etc..., and the wife only wants the 4 cyl versions.

I think I want a 2008 Passat Turbo with manual trans.
Is this a good idea? How should I convince the wife? Tell me the pros and cons of this thing please. What should I be looking for when shopping?