Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I've been getting a lot of shifting in layers.

However, some of the test prints I've tried, such as a large hexagon, seem to print no problem. I wonder if this is heat related on the components driving the printer? It's hotter than usual in Seattle, and my first couple prints in the morning usually go fine, but later in the day when it gets hotter things seem to mess up.

I'm trying a print with slower non-print actions, I'm wondering if my printer is more likely to skip position on fast motions?

Also, anyone know if anyone sells rainbow or multicolor filament? I really like how this stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9850 looks, and if I could just order a roll of pre-rainbowed ABS that would be really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Chainclaw posted:

I've been getting a lot of shifting in layers.

However, some of the test prints I've tried, such as a large hexagon, seem to print no problem. I wonder if this is heat related on the components driving the printer? It's hotter than usual in Seattle, and my first couple prints in the morning usually go fine, but later in the day when it gets hotter things seem to mess up.

I'm trying a print with slower non-print actions, I'm wondering if my printer is more likely to skip position on fast motions?

Also, anyone know if anyone sells rainbow or multicolor filament? I really like how this stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9850 looks, and if I could just order a roll of pre-rainbowed ABS that would be really cool.

I don't know what printer you have but there are a few possible things that could cause artifacts like that.

1) check that the pulleys or whatever is on your stepper motor shafts are not slipping, tighten grub screws etc. Its only happening along one axis, so check that specific motor.
2) your motor current could be too low, causing missed steps on that axis, due to not having enough torque to overcome inertia, also check by hand that the axis is moving freely, and there is no binding or excessive resistance to movement when the motors are powered off.
3) your motor current could be too high and/or improperly cooled. This causes the stepper driver to overheat and temporarily shutting off as a safety mechanism, resulting in missed steps. if you are running pololu or similar drivers you can tweak the pot to adjust the motor current.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
What's a good source for a Mendel kit in the US? Most of the ones I've found seem to be EU-based.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

saint gerald posted:

What's a good source for a Mendel kit in the US? Most of the ones I've found seem to be EU-based.

MakerFarm has kits available, some people claim they're okay.

My one experience with them was negative, as the kit was missing some printed parts. If I didn't have another few printers laying around I would have been angry. I needed the printer literally a day or two after I ordered it, which is why I bought a kit. The parts were printed poorly, so poorly that the instructional videos explain that you need a knife to make the parts fit together, and the kit didn't come with any threaded or smooth rods (As the website says) I sent their support an email and they were pretty responsive, but I probably wouldn't use them again.

There are tons of kits available on eBay and Amazon, you'll get a good feel for where to buy from based on eBay feedback.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Forgive the stupid question..

As part of our annual meeting we are having a name tag contest and I need to know if it possible to print a 4"x3" name tag in 3D that will survive a week long company event?

My thought was a flat base with a 3d wind turbine, my name and location

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
What are folks using for hollowing out an STL? Normally if I print something, ReplicatorG or MakerWare or CubeX Studio or Objet Studio or any of a million printing tools I've used have a "hollow" option.

That's fine for one part, but I have an organic shape that has to be cut in half, then printed in those halves, and I'm having a hell of a time. Imagine a solid sphere - I want to hollow that shape so that the walls are x mm, then cut the model in half and print the halves face down. (Of course it's not a sphere, but you get the idea.)

The reason why I can't cut first and then print hollow is because I don't want the bottom wall that that would produce. I want two empty halves that I glue together afterwards.

Edit:
(Oh, and I can't spend $900 to add the capability to Netfabb, and the instructions that I've found for doing so in MeshLab take on the order of 10 minutes just to attempt it without crashing)

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 7, 2013

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

Forgive the stupid question..

As part of our annual meeting we are having a name tag contest and I need to know if it possible to print a 4"x3" name tag in 3D that will survive a week long company event?

My thought was a flat base with a 3d wind turbine, my name and location

Without a sketch to go by, I'm going to say that your design is more fragile than the plastic. poo poo's really strong on an FDM machine. You could probably walk around for a week on 3D printed shoe soles.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

techknight posted:

What are folks using for hollowing out an STL? Normally if I print something, ReplicatorG or MakerWare or CubeX Studio or Objet Studio or any of a million printing tools I've used have a "hollow" option.

That's fine for one part, but I have an organic shape that has to be cut in half, then printed in those halves, and I'm having a hell of a time. Imagine a solid sphere - I want to hollow that shape so that the walls are x mm, then cut the model in half and print the halves face down. (Of course it's not a sphere, but you get the idea.)

The reason why I can't cut first and then print hollow is because I don't want the bottom wall that that would produce. I want two empty halves that I glue together afterwards.

This is a thinking out loud thing, but if you use ReplicatorG and you use the 'move' tools to move around and center the model on the build platform, what happens if you then "sink" the model 1/2 way into the build platform? I don't suppose it would actually ignore the sunken part and properly only print the exposed 1/2, would it? :haw:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Mister Sinewave posted:

This is a thinking out loud thing, but if you use ReplicatorG and you use the 'move' tools to move around and center the model on the build platform, what happens if you then "sink" the model 1/2 way into the build platform? I don't suppose it would actually ignore the sunken part and properly only print the exposed 1/2, would it? :haw:

Nope, ReplicatorG would drive the nozzle into the printbed. Destroyed a couple of acrylic build platforms on my Cupcake trying something silly a few years ago.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think the Shell option in Solidworks will do what you want, but I can't confirm that, and I dunno if you have access to Solidworks.

If you just have a closed surface model, Blender might be able to do it as well: http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-256-beta/solidify-modifier/

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Lemming posted:

I think the Shell option in Solidworks will do what you want, but I can't confirm that, and I dunno if you have access to Solidworks.

If you just have a closed surface model, Blender might be able to do it as well: http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-256-beta/solidify-modifier/

My experience with Solidworks (I have some access to it through work) has been that it can't do anything to STL files, but I'll definitely try out that Blender option - thanks!

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

UberVexer posted:

MakerFarm has kits available, some people claim they're okay.

My one experience with them was negative, as the kit was missing some printed parts. If I didn't have another few printers laying around I would have been angry. I needed the printer literally a day or two after I ordered it, which is why I bought a kit. The parts were printed poorly, so poorly that the instructional videos explain that you need a knife to make the parts fit together, and the kit didn't come with any threaded or smooth rods (As the website says) I sent their support an email and they were pretty responsive, but I probably wouldn't use them again.

I'm not in much of a hurry, and to be honest the more assembly I have to do the more I'll enjoy the process. Is it feasible/economical to source the pieces individually? I see lots of people selling the plastics, but not so many selling motors and so on. The kits on Makerfarm look decent, I guess.

quote:

There are tons of kits available on eBay and Amazon, you'll get a good feel for where to buy from based on eBay feedback.

See, I was expecting that to be the case too, but I couldn't find much of anything on either, short of an i2 kit (sans plastics) on eBay. Maybe I am searching for the wrong things?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Has anyone tried to produce any of the polyhedral gaming dice available for print? If so were they decent quality?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

saint gerald posted:

I'm not in much of a hurry, and to be honest the more assembly I have to do the more I'll enjoy the process. Is it feasible/economical to source the pieces individually? I see lots of people selling the plastics, but not so many selling motors and so on. The kits on Makerfarm look decent, I guess.

See, I was expecting that to be the case too, but I couldn't find much of anything on either, short of an i2 kit (sans plastics) on eBay. Maybe I am searching for the wrong things?

I got my motors, plastics, controllers, and electronics from four different ebay sources, and a run to Home Depot for all my misc hardware. Came out to about 85% of one of the kits.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

techknight posted:

Edit:
(Oh, and I can't spend $900 to add the capability to Netfabb, and the instructions that I've found for doing so in MeshLab take on the order of 10 minutes just to attempt it without crashing)

Check out MeshLab, I haven't used it to do this but I'd bet a cup of a coffee that it can do what you need.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I got my motors, plastics, controllers, and electronics from four different ebay sources, and a run to Home Depot for all my misc hardware. Came out to about 85% of one of the kits.

Is there a detailed bill of materials or something like that somewhere?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Check out MeshLab, I haven't used it to do this but I'd bet a cup of a coffee that it can do what you need.

You might've missed my edit - MeshLab takes over ten minutes on an i7-920 to attempt it. (And sometimes crashes, or fails without an error message.)

I've got it working in Blender now, using the Solidify modifer. There's very little in the way of practical examples, causing my first attempts on a basic primitive to produce horrifying results like this:

However, with these settings I get the right sort of thing:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Cant you just print with 0% infill and no floor layers?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

Has anyone tried to produce any of the polyhedral gaming dice available for print? If so were they decent quality?

Ehhh, I wouldn't try to produce dice for anything but show. The printing process results in a die that is going to be very directionally dependent, so the result of a roll is never going to be perfectly random.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

insta posted:

Without a sketch to go by, I'm going to say that your design is more fragile than the plastic. poo poo's really strong on an FDM machine. You could probably walk around for a week on 3D printed shoe soles.

Last question.. Anyone interested in helping a goon out or telling me who could help me?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Spazzle posted:

Cant you just print with 0% infill and no floor layers?

No, I need the models to be correct before slicing. I will keep that in mind for my own stuff in the future - someone on the Toronto 3D Printers forum suggested how to do that in slic3r.

On this particular project though, the client has CubeX printers that offer only a limited set of options in the slicing stage.

I've done some more tests and the Blender solidify option is definitely the way I'll do things for now.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Mister Sinewave posted:

This is a thinking out loud thing, but if you use ReplicatorG and you use the 'move' tools to move around and center the model on the build platform, what happens if you then "sink" the model 1/2 way into the build platform?
I know that listening to a CuraEngine presentation, their "sink model" is designed exactly for this, to create hollow models. daid said it was for making models of architecture that had no base and just started at the walls. I've never tried it though so I'd suggest you hold your finger over the emergency stop button if you try it.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

techknight posted:

My experience with Solidworks (I have some access to it through work) has been that it can't do anything to STL files, but I'll definitely try out that Blender option - thanks!

Open SCAD will let you import an STL file and then create geometry inside of it, if you take the difference of the intersection of the two then you've got a hollow object with whatever internal geometry you want.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

saint gerald posted:

Is there a detailed bill of materials or something like that somewhere?

http://reprap.org/wiki/Mendel_assembly_data_sheet

If it's reasonably open-source, there will be a bill of materials somewhere. Mendels basically break down to 1) plastic 2) electronics 2a) stepper controllers [may be included with 2)] 3) Stepper motors 4) hardware store stuff 5) belts/build platform/bearings/bushings/specialized stuff you'll need one of, once.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

UberVexer posted:

Open SCAD will let you import an STL file and then create geometry inside of it, if you take the difference of the intersection of the two then you've got a hollow object with whatever internal geometry you want.

True - I've done that in the past for primitives, but in this case I need a specific internal geometry - which is to say a smaller version of the original mesh with a consistent thickness. That's just not possible with scale() or resize() on a complex organic shape.

I ended up with a new problem though! So I've got my shelled object, which I then cut in half to print: (using a cube as an example)

Naturally the red area is an unclosed hole from the cut, but the quick mesh repair tools that I've tried cover the entire bottom instead of bridging the gap:

I guess I could take the halves back into Blender and manually fix it if I have to, or see if Blender's knife tool can do the job quickly.. But there will be a lot of models for the project in the end, so I need to figure out the quickest, simplest workflow.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

techknight posted:

True - I've done that in the past for primitives, but in this case I need a specific internal geometry - which is to say a smaller version of the original mesh with a consistent thickness. That's just not possible with scale() or resize() on a complex organic shape.

I ended up with a new problem though! So I've got my shelled object, which I then cut in half to print: (using a cube as an example)

Naturally the red area is an unclosed hole from the cut, but the quick mesh repair tools that I've tried cover the entire bottom instead of bridging the gap:

I guess I could take the halves back into Blender and manually fix it if I have to, or see if Blender's knife tool can do the job quickly.. But there will be a lot of models for the project in the end, so I need to figure out the quickest, simplest workflow.

Looks like you cut it up in netfabb? Maybe try http://cloud.netfabb.com to repair instead of using the quick mesh repair tools in the app?

Unrelated Edit:

I did a bad thing. Shh, don't tell.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/45699157/fuel3d-a-handheld-3d-scanner-for-less-than-1000

kafkasgoldfish fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 8, 2013

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Looks like you cut it up in netfabb? Maybe try http://cloud.netfabb.com to repair instead of using the quick mesh repair tools in the app?

Unrelated Edit:

I did a bad thing. Shh, don't tell.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/45699157/fuel3d-a-handheld-3d-scanner-for-less-than-1000

The cloud version produces the same result, unfortunately. (Even if it had worked it wouldn't be practical though, I'm going to have hundreds of 20 MB meshes to deal with.)

Did you back the Fuel 3D or are you one of the creators? (If you're Kevin, are you still bringing the beta camera to Site 3 tonight?)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

techknight posted:

Is it possible this is the result of the face normals not pointing in the right direction? I don't have a ton of experience with Blender, but you should be able to google around for some instructions on how to check it out. It's possible that the repair is all janky because it can't tell what's supposed to be the outside and what's supposed to be the inside, but if the normals for the outer shell are facing out and the normals for the inside shell are facing in, from what I understand the repair should be working.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Check the facenormals on the inner half. In most 3D packages they would need to point inwards for the 'fix hole' tool to work.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Hmm.. I think the triangles are oriented correctly to start with, but I tried flipping the inner ones and doing a hole repair in Netfabb, got the same result as unflipped. :(

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

techknight posted:

Did you back the Fuel 3D or are you one of the creators? (If you're Kevin, are you still bringing the beta camera to Site 3 tonight?)

I just backed it. :psyduck:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

kafkasgoldfish posted:

I just backed it. :psyduck:

Oh oh oh, sorry - one of Fuel 3D guys is supposed to be bringing the demo unit to our makerspace tonight. I thought you were recognizing my username and posting that.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

techknight posted:

Hmm.. I think the triangles are oriented correctly to start with, but I tried flipping the inner ones and doing a hole repair in Netfabb, got the same result as unflipped. :(

I tried doing basically what you're doing, and there didn't seem to be any clean, cheap, or easy solution.

I was even trying to solve a simpler problem, and got the same results.

Basically, I wanted to take an arbitrary spline and extrude it vertically. When the spline got somewhat complicated and/or its feature size started to approach the extrude thickness, the bottom got terrible. Blender couldn't fix it, meshlab just identified that it was all jacked up, etc.

If you do figure this out, make sure you post how you did it; my project is still stalled in the incredibly tedious hand-fixing of thousand-vertex bottom spline stage.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

peepsalot posted:

I don't know what printer you have but there are a few possible things that could cause artifacts like that.

1) check that the pulleys or whatever is on your stepper motor shafts are not slipping, tighten grub screws etc. Its only happening along one axis, so check that specific motor.
2) your motor current could be too low, causing missed steps on that axis, due to not having enough torque to overcome inertia, also check by hand that the axis is moving freely, and there is no binding or excessive resistance to movement when the motors are powered off.
3) your motor current could be too high and/or improperly cooled. This causes the stepper driver to overheat and temporarily shutting off as a safety mechanism, resulting in missed steps. if you are running pololu or similar drivers you can tweak the pot to adjust the motor current.

The motor seemed to move smoothly, and when I would watch it when it was skipping, it didn't look or sound like anything was wrong with the motors.

I put a fan behind the printer pointed at the electronics, and I've printed for several hours today now with no offset layers.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Fun new issue, every few Z layers looks different, and the prints are pretty brittle at these points.

Not sure how to search this problem on google yet, I'll have to look at some 3D printer FAQs to get an idea on how to describe it.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Chainclaw posted:

Fun new issue, every few Z layers looks different, and the prints are pretty brittle at these points.

Not sure how to search this problem on google yet, I'll have to look at some 3D printer FAQs to get an idea on how to describe it.

Hah, those actually look kind of neat. You'll want to look up Z-wobble. Like does the nozzle appear to straying during a print? Which printer are you using?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mmmm, crinkle cut rabbits.

Looks like the rate at which the nozzle is being lifted isnt regular somehow.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Thanks for the tips. I found some pages on the Solidoodle wiki I will read through tomorrow on this issue:
http://www.soliwiki.com/Banding
http://www.soliwiki.com/Calibration_of_the_Z_wobble

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
I would hazard a guess that your hot end hysteresis is too wide. Ie its getting HOT then cooling then TOO COLD then heating repeat repeat etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

So how does one get into 3D printing? The OP doesn't seem to have been updated in a year and I was wondering if it was still current.

I would mostly just be printing little knickknacks, and maybe some misc. plastic camera accessories for my photography (maybe lens caps, viewfinder hoods, etc) depending on how much of 3D modelling I could learn.

Is there a more up-to-date list of current printers somewhere? I probably wouldn't be buying one for another few months, but I'd like to start doing some research. Currently the Solidoodle seems like a decent option for a fully assembled printer around ~$500-600, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm wide open.

I did back 3Doodler though :v: