Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tazolol
Jan 15, 2010
SO I tried to make beer cheese soup last night in my slow cooker. The flavor turned out really good, but instead of melting nicely the cheese I used just clumped. Do you guys know a better way to make this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

What's the best oven temp and amount of time to cook chicken leg quarters? My oven temperature probe crapped out on me so I need a rough time to go by.

They've been rubbed with a mixture of rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper, oil and some other spices and I was just going to put them on a pan or in a baking dish to cook them.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tazolol posted:

SO I tried to make beer cheese soup last night in my slow cooker. The flavor turned out really good, but instead of melting nicely the cheese I used just clumped. Do you guys know a better way to make this?

You need to incorporate the cheese slower and at a lower temp. You're basically making a mornay and cheese will curdle/clump easily if you have the heat too high when adding it. There's really no reason to cook a beer cheese soup in a slow cooker, since it's not gonna benefit from a long cook time. Just do it in a pot and pull it off the heat when you fold the cheese in.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Dacap posted:

What's the best oven temp and amount of time to cook chicken leg quarters? My oven temperature probe crapped out on me so I need a rough time to go by.

They've been rubbed with a mixture of rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper, oil and some other spices and I was just going to put them on a pan or in a baking dish to cook them.

The basic old housewife way would be 350 for a little over an hour to an hour-and-a-half.

I do 450 for 20 minutes to crisp up the skin, then turn it down to 350 until they're done -about another 35-40 minutes. Poke one with the point of a knife and the juice that comes out shouldn't be pink. You only want to do that once, so be pretty sure that they're done before you do it. If you can let them rest for another 5 minutes, do.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I got a surprise immersion blender in the mail today from my stepmother since we were chatting about it over Thanksgiving and she doesn't use hers!

Now what should I do? Potato leek soup is on the list.

vv after making the post I kind of expected that and it is also on the list :)

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 6, 2011

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Make mayo

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

I got a surprise immersion blender in the mail today from my stepmother since we were chatting about it over Thanksgiving and she doesn't use hers!

Now what should I do? Potato leek soup is on the list.

vv after making the post I kind of expected that and it is also on the list :)

Curried cauliflower, spicy red lentil, cream of mushroom

I'd be making soups out the rear end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toum is also a must. That stuff is delicious on everything.

thefoozl
Nov 9, 2010
I have an apex edgepro sharpening kit. Before I use it, I would rather try it out on a really crappy knife to get the hang of it first. Is this a good idea, or will I just be wasting time by practicing on a rubbish knife?

If it makes a difference, the knife claims to be 'non-stain steel' and 'high carbon'. Made in Japan with no brand name.

Edit:

Thank you for your reassurance and advice. Whilst I had already thought that the angles may be different, I hadn't considered that the types of steel may make a difference in how it feels to sharpen.

VVVV

thefoozl fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 6, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thefoozl posted:

I have an apex edgepro sharpening kit. Before I use it, I would rather try it out on a really crappy knife to get the hang of it first. Is this a good idea, or will I just be wasting time by practicing on a rubbish knife?

If it makes a difference, the knife claims to be 'non-stain steel' and 'high carbon'. Made in Japan with no brand name.

I think it's a great idea. Just remember that different types of steel will feel a little different when you're sharpening them, and that the factory angle may be different than on your practice knife.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I decided to ask my hubby for a meat cleaver for Christmas.

We're so romantic.

Irish Revenge
May 22, 2004

I AM A GIANT FAGGOT THAT LIKES TO PRETEND I AM AN ADMIN. I LITERALLY SUCK COCK! GLUCK GLUCK I AM SUCKING COCK NOW BECAUSE I AM SUCH A FAGGOT!!!! IF I AM POSTING PLEASE TELL ME TO SUCK SO MUCH COCK I DIE BECAUSE I AM WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I made alton brown's chicken stock for about the 5th time, but for the first time, I actually got that spooge (or whatever it's called) layer on the top. Awesome! However I noticed my stock is fairly thick and gelatinous as opposed to the watery stuff from the store. Is that okay? Do I need to alter my recipes because of it? It's definitely a liquid and pours just fine, just has lots of body I guess.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Irish Revenge posted:

I made alton brown's chicken stock for about the 5th time, but for the first time, I actually got that spooge (or whatever it's called) layer on the top. Awesome! However I noticed my stock is fairly thick and gelatinous as opposed to the watery stuff from the store. Is that okay? Do I need to alter my recipes because of it? It's definitely a liquid and pours just fine, just has lots of body I guess.

Good stock should be thick and gelatinous when cooled. However, if yours is still thick while simmering, it may have reduced too far. If it's on the stove and moving like gravy, I'd thin it a bit. Although, this might not matter depending on your application.

Irish Revenge
May 22, 2004

I AM A GIANT FAGGOT THAT LIKES TO PRETEND I AM AN ADMIN. I LITERALLY SUCK COCK! GLUCK GLUCK I AM SUCKING COCK NOW BECAUSE I AM SUCH A FAGGOT!!!! IF I AM POSTING PLEASE TELL ME TO SUCK SO MUCH COCK I DIE BECAUSE I AM WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, I should have clarified. It is completely cooled and sat in the fridge for 24 hours. Glad to hear it finally came out the right way. I guess adding a whole bird to the stock helped. Thanks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Irish Revenge posted:

Sorry, I should have clarified. It is completely cooled and sat in the fridge for 24 hours. Glad to hear it finally came out the right way. I guess adding a whole bird to the stock helped. Thanks.

Yep, that means it's good stock. You can make sliceable soup.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

So while shopping for the ingredients for a Spinach lasagna I picked up way more fresh Parmesan cheese than I needed (10oz's instead of 2). How long can the cheese keep uncooked and still be good? I plan to use some in omelets next week but that won't use near enough.

Any ideas for a good Parm dish I can use 8oz's in?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Parmesan? It keeps for a long time since it's low moisture and pretty salty, but I can never keep it around. I just eat it straight hom nom nom. King of cheeses.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

^^^ For pork chops, my go-to preparation is to sear em off in a hot pan and toss in the oven to cook to 160F.

USDA lowered their guideline for cooking pork to 145F. Please don't cook your pork chops into shoe leather.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/NR_052411_01/index.asp

Tazolol posted:

Sodium citrate

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 6, 2011

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Chemmy posted:

USDA lowered their guideline for cooking pork to 145F. Please don't cook your pork chops into shoe leather.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/NR_052411_01/index.asp

I do what he does, but at closer to 200, and they come out perfect –and pink. The middle of a thick chop doesn't get up to 165 by doing that -I'm actually going to adopt his lower temperature next time I do it; most ovens won't even go below 150 and you'd have to cook them for a long time to get them up to the actual oven temperature.

edit: but it IS great news that the USDA stopped ruining meals for dummies. I had to lie to a friend once about the temp on her turkey and pull it. She was refusing to take it out until 165, when it would have been ruined.

vvvvv

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

He said "cook to 160". That doesn't imply that the oven is 160 to me, but the center of the meat itself. Either way the idea is that it's safe when it's 145 in the middle yay everybody!
Absolutely right; I misread "to" as "at" unless they changed the meaning of those words again . 160 is really high.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 6, 2011

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Very Strange Things posted:

I do what he does, but at closer to 200, and they come out perfect –and pink. The middle of a thick chop doesn't get up to 165 by doing that -I'm actually going to adopt his lower temperature next time I do it; most ovens won't even go below 150 and you'd have to cook them for a long time to get them up to the actual oven temperature.

He said "cook to 160". That doesn't imply that the oven is 160 to me, but the center of the meat itself. Either way the idea is that it's safe when it's 145 in the middle yay everybody!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I use an immersion circulator to do pork chops but honestly unless you're getting 2" thick chops you can probably get the center up to temp by searing on "pretty high" instead of "full blast".

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

What's really great though is rare pork.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Chemmy posted:

Derp, I have no idea why I typed 160. I always pull chops at 140.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Derp, I have no idea why I typed 160. I always pull chops at 140.

I think we knew you were better than that; I want to know now at what temperature you cook them AT when you finish them. I've been doing 200, but that's only because I worry about overcooking if I forget about them for a couple minutes extra.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I usually finish chops in the oven at 400F or so. It's kinda like the dual heat method for cooking steaks, just let em temp for 5-8 minutes in the oven after searing off.

Abu-Saleh
Dec 2, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Ok, so I'm kinda hungry right now and there is no appropriate receptacle in the room, so I just want to know if I can microwave spam in its original tin? Should be all right if I'd just open the lid so that the pressure can vent, right?

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.
The root beer experiment hasn't come too close what I consider "root beer" to taste like, but licorice root and wintergreen together make a killer tea! Adding sassafras root rounds it out, but the sarsaparilla root might as well be barkdust for all the flavor it adds. The longer the licorice root steeps, the stronger the sweetness and the longer it lingers on the tongue after each sip. It builds up gradually, rather than hitting full-force with the first drink.

I would make a minithread about it, but the pictures would be intensely boring. Lots of tinted water and wood chips.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Abu-Saleh posted:

Ok, so I'm kinda hungry right now and there is no appropriate receptacle in the room, so I just want to know if I can microwave spam in its original tin? Should be all right if I'd just open the lid so that the pressure can vent, right?

Trip report please

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJNDCvx8r7U

YEAH DOG fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 6, 2011

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

SatoshiMiwa posted:

So while shopping for the ingredients for a Spinach lasagna I picked up way more fresh Parmesan cheese than I needed (10oz's instead of 2). How long can the cheese keep uncooked and still be good? I plan to use some in omelets next week but that won't use near enough.

Any ideas for a good Parm dish I can use 8oz's in?

Alfredo Sauce! I've made this recipe a few times and it's great, though I prefer to replace the shrimp with diced chicken breast.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Cajun_Fettucini_Alfredo_with_Optional_Shrimp

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

I have to make the soup for the family's christmas dinner, since it was popular last time. It's butternut squash and sweet potato, would it benefit from roasting either or both of them beforehand?

Abu-Saleh
Dec 2, 2011

by Ozmaugh

SYFY HYPHY posted:

Trip report please

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJNDCvx8r7U

Too late, I used a page from my notebook instead. Turned out all right save for some parts that had to be scraped off because of the ink.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
So, I'm an idiot who bought and entire bag of cranberries to serve raw in a fruit salad deal. It turns out that my girlfriend does not like raw cranberries. So, now I have to figure out what the heck I'm going to do with a quart size zip-top bag full of cranberries. What are some suggestions.

Ideas I have are, cranberry & ____(orange, maybe?) jelly or maybe as a glaze for some pork chops. Barring these though, I'm at a loss. Suggestions?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Cranberry apple pie.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

MY GIRLFRIEND just made a whole bunch of cranberry orange marmalade which is a fantastic idea you should probably copy.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've got a vacuum packed chunk of bacon, and I can't eat the entire chunk by myself. The label says to use immediately after opening, but I'm wondering, if I cut half off, immediately seal it in a new bag, and put in the fridge, should it still keep for at least 24 hours?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Semprini posted:

I have to make the soup for the family's christmas dinner, since it was popular last time. It's butternut squash and sweet potato, would it benefit from roasting either or both of them beforehand?

I prefer roasting to boiling as you get that nice caramelised crust that's really amazing for flavour.

Don't forget to blend, blend and then strain until you're sick of it :)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Junior G-man posted:

I prefer roasting to boiling as you get that nice caramelised crust that's really amazing for flavour.

Don't forget to blend, blend and then strain until you're sick of it :)

Food mill would be best, but blend and strain is good if you don't have a food mill.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah, Alfredo is on the docket. Probably some Pizza toppings as well.

Man, getting Fresh Parm really opened my eyes too. I used to hate it when I was younger when I tried some of the powdered stuff in a dish. But the fresh stuff is really an awesome cheese.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I have a potato soup recipe that I am proud of. It's nothing fancy, and or original, but it is cheap, easy, healthy, and a good cold weather food. I was curious on how I can submit it to the wiki, and if it is too generic a recipe to bother with it's own thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Soulex posted:

I have a potato soup recipe that I am proud of. It's nothing fancy, and or original, but it is cheap, easy, healthy, and a good cold weather food. I was curious on how I can submit it to the wiki, and if it is too generic a recipe to bother with it's own thread.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Contributing

There are soup threads now and again that will get a few pages. Of you want to make an addition to the wiki and put a solid OP together in the process, go for it.