Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
At the beginning of Book 3, Gobwin Knob had a bunch of infantry and commanders in the Magic Kingdom, a thing that had never happened before, and let them use the MK to travel back and forth, but made them fairly unpopular there.

The major political factions in the MK at the start were:

• The Great Minds That Think Alike, the most prominent Eyemancers, who see themselves as guardians of Erfworld and of magic. Their primary goal is to destroy Charlie, who they see as a destabilizing force (and a potential threat to their monopoly on Thinkamancy). They're very powerful and important, probably the most powerful faction in the MK. They helped summon Parson to destroy Charlie, but they aren't super-happy about it because they're controlling and weird. They're Gobwin Knob's allies.
  • The Hippiemancers, who want to make Erfworld a better place, and helped summon Parson because they thought he can do that. They're reasonably influential because they produce most of the MK's food.
  • The Dirtamancers, who are mostly in favor of the status quo. They're very powerful in the MK (although Dirtamancers are lower than dirt in most other places) because they do all the building.
  • The Predictamancers, who want to serve Fate. They helped summon Parson to destroy Charlie because it's fate that Charlie dies. They're respected but not very politically powerful, but they involve themselves in a lot of schemes.
  • The Carnymancers, who aren't really a faction but who are mostly in with Charlie. Everyone in the MK hates and distrusts them.

Stanley went out and got into a fight with Jillian on his own time, and fought her to a point where either one of them could have gotten croaked; flip a coin. Charlie stepped in, because (for reasons unknown) he needs Jillian alive, and brokered a peace treaty for many turns. In general, Charlescomm takes a penalty for attacking GK; GK takes a penalty for attacking Charlescomm; GK takes a penalty for attacking Faq except in self-defense; GK takes a penalty for attacking Jillian herself under any and all circumstances.

Meanwhile, Charlie has gotten his hands on Lilith, a Decrypted Archon who was captured in Book 2. He's taking her apart with Thinkamancy in order to understand how Decryption broke her away from him, and Wanda is observing her through their link and generally being all "oh hell no." She and Maggie link up, and use the Arkenpliers to repatriate Lilith remotely and break her chains. She escapes and kills a bunch of Archons, because she doesn't know about the large monetary penalties she incurs every time she shoots one.

I'll tell you the rest later unless somebody else feels like finishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So Parson's idea of a treaty was putting up 25 million in gems as collateral on a loan that vassalizes TV as a tributary state? Makes sense.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The wording of this document indicates that the gems could be reclaimed from Charlie by TV intentionally breaking alliance, thereby converting the gems to schmuckers and awarding them to Gobwin Knob. It makes no stipulation about the location or ownership of the gems, just that they'll be converted and awarded to the aggrieved side if the treaty is subverted.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That's a lot of words to say "game's not over, man, stop moping and help" but it's nice to have some Benjamin perspective.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Only 2 more different perspectives to go until the story can progress again.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's a long way to go for a pun about bean-counting, but we're all glad we came.

Now, bring me Cubbins!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny that Huehue's idea of money as a commodity to be used is absolutely on point in Erfworld with how Shmuckers work compared to the Stupidworld idea of arbitrary currency that Benjamin is likely unwittingly channeling.

Reminded of how we have proof of forging currency, where enterprising Mesoamericans would create fake cocao beans out of dirt.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny that Huehue's idea of money as a commodity to be used is absolutely on point in Erfworld with how Shmuckers work compared to the Stupidworld idea of arbitrary currency that Benjamin is likely unwittingly channeling.

Reminded of how we have proof of forging currency, where enterprising Mesoamericans would create fake cocao beans out of dirt.

Although it's kind of interesting, because if the Tutelaries really are meant as tutorials, you'd think of them as having opinions somewhere close to what the Titans wanted as the starting point for Erfworld. It's kind of weird that Huehue dislikes money, and Shirley has a prejudice against Carnymancers, when both of those are built into Erfworld on a fundamental level.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Considering how much poo poo they're capable of, I'm starting to see why the temples stopped being "alive" at some point. The fact that they keep saying that Shirley can directly croak Caesar suggests that she can either give orders to mindless units or is able to work Bill's capture item/spell from a distance. Combine that with the fact that they don't take orders and can even go against their own ruler, as well as Isaac's suggestion way back when that the temples appear to like being at war and being fought over. This could very well become a "rogue AI" type of situation where the towers end up fighting wars against the rulers' will (hell, Charlie's already halfway there), especially if Parson ends up pursuing the path of world peace, in which case the temples might end up being the next big bad after Charlie is gone.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Temples might also have been removed as being too 'static', having a set personality and being functionally immortal. Titans got bored of watching that one temple with just the right mix of personality quirks dominating every game and scrapped the system for dynamic rulers instead, with fortunes waxing and waning accordingly.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Tutorials often lock you in on what you can/cannot do (therefore the Tutelaries can act on their own, even against the ruler's orders) and they spout a lot of interesting if basic (but by now forgotten) information. But they are often also disabled after a set amount of turns. In essence, the Great Minds hacked the Ancient Era tutorial back on during the Nuclear Era of a civ game.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

...really, Big Think? You really thought you could fit that in your mouth?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I thought the Thinkamancers were supposed to be smart. Big Think has been nothing but bad idea after bad idea.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

I thought the Thinkamancers were supposed to be smart. Big Think has been nothing but bad idea after bad idea.

Their belief that they always know best is serving them incredibly poorly now that they’re not in a position where there are good choices to be had.

This actually syncs up pretty well with the last thing they were thinking, though—they really need Croakamancy, but they don’t trust Wanda a bit. Trying to open source the Arkenpliers isn’t completely off the wall; it’s just hubris.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So now we get a text update written for the viewpoint of the arkenpliers.

I can't wait to see the update written from the viewpoint of Wrigley's spear.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
To be fair "the arkenpliers are now alive" is a pretty significant development.

I wonder if it'll take its own form/signamancy or it'll just take over Isaac's body.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kyte posted:

To be fair "the arkenpliers are now alive" is a pretty significant development.

I wonder if it'll take its own form/signamancy or it'll just take over Isaac's body.

Is that what happened? I couldn't make heads or tails of this one.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The Minds were unsure whether they wanted to work with Wanda -- they aren't attuned to use the pliers, so needed her to resurrect them, but don't trust her.

So they tried to use their second-hand knowledge of dirtamancy and dollamancy (dismissively underestimating the distance between magic disciplines that aren't thinkamancy) to force unlock the pliers and access its croakamancy. This backfired, somehow animating the pliers and essentially killing the Minds, who now only exist as fragments within the arkenpliers's consciousness.

I think Issac is still separated in that doll body, and that thing that looks like his ghost was just made up of the other Great Minds since that doll was made. But I'm not 100% sure I understand that part.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 1, 2018

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
they dun hosed up

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Their belief that they always know best is serving them incredibly poorly now that they’re not in a position where there are good choices to be had.

This actually syncs up pretty well with the last thing they were thinking, though—they really need Croakamancy, but they don’t trust Wanda a bit. Trying to open source the Arkenpliers isn’t completely off the wall; it’s just hubris.

It's not like they have any particular reason to distrust Wanda, though. They just refuse to trust anyone besides themselves. If they were worried about Wanda not freeing them, they could have had her do a pinkie swear, or they could have approached Parson and had him give her an order. They could have signed a contract with Gobwin Knob, even. Instead, they were just sowing chaos anywhere they can find it while absolutely refusing to contact anyone who actually likes them.

Bruceski posted:

Is that what happened? I couldn't make heads or tails of this one.

Yeah - Big Think stole the Arkenpliers and thought they seemed kind of similar to the towers, so they tried to awaken the pliers the same way they did the towers, and then it immediately ate their minds. It's easy to miss, because the way the update is written is fairly similar to the way Big Think's inner monologues are written, but the entire update is actually written from the perspective of the newly-sentient Arkenpliers reminiscing about the circumstances that led to its awakening.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
e: nvm

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not like they have any particular reason to distrust Wanda, though.

Wanda is crazy.

I mean, there's a sense in which Wanda is reliable, in that she's completely and terrifyingly honest and her behavior is somewhat predictable: she'll always try to do whatever she thinks Fate wants her to do.

But from the perspective of her prospective allies she is constantly making terrible decisions at random and she does not have a healthy person's outlook on life or an ability to form healthy mutual relationships.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 1, 2018

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I wonder if this is the bigger bad after parson. He was momentarily "out of the game" so maybe Fate arranged a bigger, badder thing to come after Charlie, like Parson after Jillian.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Fate doesn't seem capable of tampering with people's wills, so kinda hard for it to plant the suggestion or direct Big Think towards this conclusion.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Oh goodness

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Onmi posted:

Oh goodness

We can post this image for whenever there is a skip now!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Things are a tiny bit better in Balder land, but I really feel like he needs to remember the fundamentals of K.I.S.S.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Most writers are crazy people, isn't too surprising.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Onmi posted:

Things are a tiny bit better in Balder land, but I really feel like he needs to remember the fundamentals of K.I.S.S.

What do they have to do with it?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

DeadBonesBrook posted:

What do they have to do with it?

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

White Coke posted:

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Harsh, but doesn't explain what any of this has to do with Gene Simmons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Looks like at least one Transylvito unit has taken to firearms quite well.

I do wonder if there's something to Signamancy that the more modern-looking units and sides may find guns more familiar, auto-special aside. Charlescomm has always looked futuristic by Erf standards (Jetstone seeming ironically old-fashioned) and Transylvito has the mafia thing going which implies firearms going well with it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I guess we're soon in for a scene involving not-Juggalos charging through the portal while the portal sounds its "whoop whoop" alarm.

Because of course.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I'm shocked Balder didn't spend an entire page on the Wrench being dropped off.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Onmi posted:

I'm shocked Balder didn't spend an entire page on the Wrench being dropped off.

I'm kind of hoping that his need to streamline the updates now will lead to better more focused writing later when things are hopefully back to normal in his life.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Update!

But the site is completely boned so who knows what it says.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
It's Benjamin confronting a list of demands from Charlie. Ben tries to pick up vocabulary from HueHue. I probably missed something major, but I feel like nothing really happened, here.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

XkyRauh posted:

I probably missed something major

nope!

XkyRauh posted:

I feel like nothing really happened, here.

yup!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I accept payments in etherium mining for this repost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The double language barrier between Huehue's use of both Aztec words and modern parlance and trying to translate it into Erfworld's pseudo-medieval video game world logic is pretty amusing. (Though the idea of money as a bean, a commodity which ultimately is to be consumed rather than a static object representing value is something that translates better to Erf than Earth)