Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
She worked as a translator for a Japanese model and helped edit subtitles, so I don't quite buy into her being awful at speaking Japanese. I'm sure she has an accent from not living in Japan most of her life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Teikanmi posted:

looking at her IMDb she ain't ever done poo poo in Japan except "the Disney channel"?

IMDB listings are quite often incomplete, especially for TV roles and actors who aren't A-listers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rhyno posted:

Uh, no. It was poorly received and didn't even make it's budget back domestically.

It was received fine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CelticPredator posted:

It was received fine.

Pretty sure it was almost universally reviled.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rhyno posted:

Pretty sure it was almost universally reviled.

68% RT rating, 70% of audiences liked it, B+ Cinemascore.

You're probably thinking of the second film.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MiB3 would have been a decent follow-up that still didn't live up to the original if it weren't having to make up for a really poo poo sequel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

computer parts posted:

68% RT rating, 70% of audiences liked it, B+ Cinemascore.

You're probably thinking of the second film.

Actually I think I just lumped them both together in my head.

Ballchinian is still funny though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also MIB3 opened 3 weeks after The Avengers which was pretty much the worst possible point in the history of cinema to try and release a quippy action film.

Fun fact: MIB3 actually had a bigger production budget than The Avengers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also MIB3 opened 3 weeks after The Avengers which was pretty much the worst possible point in the history of cinema to try and release a quippy action film.

Fun fact: MIB3 actually had a bigger production budget than The Avengers.

Of course it did, it was produced by Sony.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Teikanmi posted:

I mean I live in Tokyo and speak Japanese well enough to know her pronunciation sucked, specifically when she first shows up and says "yogata" or something that I think is supposed to be "isogashideshita" or some poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuyyQLvj9LU

what she said and the subtitles for the japanese were completely different

These are native Japanese people I'm talking about, they were the ones cringing and laughing at her poo poo accent throughout the movie, my (Japanese) girlfriend said it was unintelligible mostly

looking at her IMDb she ain't ever done poo poo in Japan except "the Disney channel"?

she said
"用があった" or "you ga atta", which is a slightly samurai-ish way of saying "I had work to do". Y,know, the thing the subs said she said.

Her Japanese is fine and the movie was good.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

MiB3 had a surprising amount of heart, and had a really nice ending. I thought it should have done better than it did.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Teikanmi posted:

I mean I live in Tokyo and speak Japanese well enough to know her pronunciation sucked, specifically when she first shows up and says "yogata" or something that I think is supposed to be "isogashideshita" or some poo poo

Evidently you don't because that's not even what she said. Japanese is her first language, inasmuch as it's all her parents spoke so she learned English when she went to school.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Hellbunny posted:

she said
"用があった" or "you ga atta", which is a slightly samurai-ish way of saying "I had work to do". Y,know, the thing the subs said she said.

Her Japanese is fine and the movie was good.

I think I remembering seeing 用があった in the subtitles during that scene

All I can tell you is that the natives giggled and cringed to loving hell when they heard it (and all her other scenes) because her pronunciation and speaking style was wonky, sorry to shatter your dreams about perfect nihongo authenticity in glorious nippon but I can only report what the actual people told me, which was that she was hard to understand for native ears

And no, the movie was poo poo, a complete mess

Teikanmi fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 24, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Teikanmi posted:

I mean I live in Tokyo and speak Japanese
These are native Japanese people I'm talking about, they were the ones cringing and laughing at her poo poo accent throughout the movie, my (Japanese) girlfriend

Congratulations on filling up my Goon Bingo card with your last several posts. :allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, right now the movie is sitting a 731 millions as worlwide gross. I'm guessing that if the movie would've opened on China that total would be at 900 millions mark at least.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So, right now the movie is sitting a 731 millions as worlwide gross. I'm guessing that if the movie would've opened on China that total would be at 900 millions mark at least.

China box office for Man of Steel and BvS were $63 and $95 million respectively, so I don't know if Suicide Squad would have broke 900. $800 million for sure though.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

Congratulations on filling up my Goon Bingo card with your last several posts. :allears:

Let me tell you about what it's like having REAL Nihonno-quality body pillows

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kurzon posted:

I don't know what you were talking about specifically. But some things the Joker does in this movie are still too implausible. Like hanging out in a nightclub while a fugitive in front of dozens of drunk partygoers who could ruin him with one phone call to the cops (fun fact: criminals rat each other out all the time). I've read books on the New York Mafia and the gangsters never discussed crimes in bars or clubs because the FBI had them all bugged. John Gotti and Sammy the Bull would discuss crimes on the sidewalk where the FBI couldn't eavesdrop. But instead Joker is hiding in plain sight and he murders a gangster. Now I know this is a silly superhero story but this is stretching reality a little too far. Even children know that breaking out of prison doesn't void one's conviction. The Adam West Joker had more sense than Leto Joker.
I can't believe it. This is just loving amazing.

Please also explain how Cesar Romero's Joker was better, because he's obviously wearing paint over his moustache, whereas in real life we know that chemicals can't turn people milk white and grass green.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't believe it. This is just loving amazing.

Please also explain how Cesar Romero's Joker was better, because he's obviously wearing paint over his moustache, whereas in real life we know that chemicals can't turn people milk white and grass green.

Why did you dig 20 pages back for that bad post? haha

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was searching for Joker-related stuff and I couldn't hold my tongue.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halloween Jack posted:

Hair dye and skin whiteners exist. :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

If Michael Jackson hadn't liked his hair color either, we could have seen a real live Joker.
:eyepop:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

No, his skin is always white and his hair grows in green; this is Canon, so mote it be.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Teikanmi posted:

I think I remembering seeing 用があった in the subtitles during that scene

All I can tell you is that the natives giggled and cringed to loving hell when they heard it (and all her other scenes) because her pronunciation and speaking style was wonky, sorry to shatter your dreams about perfect nihongo authenticity in glorious nippon but I can only report what the actual people told me, which was that she was hard to understand for native ears

:psyboom: she is loving native Japanese you idiot

are you implying that what is, at most, a slight accent or difference in dialect makes her suddenly not Glorious Ethnically-Superior Nipponese

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Like there's literally thousands of stories about people from other countries emigrating to America or even people from within America joining the military and then returning home and having a weird accent/using new or outdated slang and sounding funny to their friends and family.

It can legitimately be both, Teikanmi's Japanese friends may have thought she sounded funny, but implying that this is evidence she's not "an actual Japanese person" is stupid as hell, especially with people telling you repeatedly she is native Japanese. Why not just ask for the long form birth certificate at this point?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Teikanmi's Japanese friends

Please, the preferred nomenclature is 'the natives'.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

This is a picture of lil kim.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

:psyboom: she is loving native Japanese you idiot

are you implying that what is, at most, a slight accent or difference in dialect makes her suddenly not Glorious Ethnically-Superior Nipponese

Is she native Japanese? I thought she was born in California, lived a big chunk of her life in Cali, then moved to Japan for career opportunities.

While I hate judging a person's looks, I don't get the fascination with the cheek bone surgeries that are popular. I liked 90's lil Kim just the way she was!

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Remember when David Ayer said the theatrical cut was his cut and there'll never be an ultimate edition of Suicide Squad?

Guess what, now there IS an Ultimate Edition of Suicide Squad!

They just wanted to surprise you.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Junior Jr. posted:

Remember when David Ayer said the theatrical cut was his cut and there'll never be an ultimate edition of Suicide Squad?

David Ayer isn't quoted at all in this article.

It's really fascinating that the reverberations of BvS are so profound that it's actually convinced people that its release of a theatrical and then a home video-exclusive extended cut is both a new phenomenon and a particularly grievance manipulation. It's like when they credit Iron Man for doing something X-Men: The Last Stand did two years earlier.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it's more of the fact that both BvS and SS suffered from editing and pacing issues due to late in the stage editing changes, which frustrated views who saw the film in theaters. Then seeing them release a version that is a lot more coherent later on feels frustrating because it's like...why even see them in theaters if we're not getting the more coherent version?

I know you weird film analysis people love incoherent story things, but that's not mine, or a lot of people's bag.

It just gets old.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Seeing movies in a theater is fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's not fun if they've been meddled with.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

All movies are meddled with.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You've been meddled with.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It's true.

Really though I can't imagine skipping a cool looking movie because a different (not necessarily better) version might come out later.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I couldn't either until this year. Now I'm kinda okay with it. If Rogue One is a mess, I'm gonna be really okay with it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Junior Jr. posted:

You mean . . the storyteller's tweet lied??

That's awesome

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

CelticPredator posted:

I think it's more of the fact that both BvS and SS suffered from editing and pacing issues due to late in the stage editing changes, which frustrated views who saw the film in theaters. Then seeing them release a version that is a lot more coherent later on feels frustrating because it's like...why even see them in theaters if we're not getting the more coherent version?

See, this is what I'm getting at. You haven't actually seen the extended cut, have no idea if you have any strongly different opinion on it than you do the theatrical cut, it could be just more poo poo you don't like. You've formulated this scenario where the reason the extended cut is a selling point is because it will provide "coherency," which you've based on nothing except that you know that, logically, there will be more content. But that content itself could be superfluous to what you already understood or incoherent in its own way.

The selling point of the extended cut - as with any new edit of an already extant film - is that the extended cut exists, just like the theatrical cut. It's a movie, not "the real version" of the movie you saw before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It could be. But it's like, why bother at this point if every DC Movie's going to have some last minute complete reworkings of the plot and editing to either make it shorter or make it like a trailer? It's frustrating. It's cool and fine if the films organically change to be something different than what they set off to do, but when you see tones and things jive in a negative way with the film itself, you feel like something else happened. Something that wasn't a part of the film, but rather someone outside of the film forcing ideas into it at the last minute.

Like this for example.
Theatrical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhcRisru3I&t=45s
Unrated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wksN6xezDfs&t=97s

There is some nefarious poo poo going on here. It wasn't a product of making the film better, or fixing the pacing...it's the product of an old white guy getting skeeved out.

Even if it's not, it looks really, really bad.

• Locked thread