Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

cis autodrag posted:

Thinking of changing my name but I haven't settled on a good persona yet. I think cis autodrag really needs queens in her avatar and that's kinda over.

do you want to stick with a yospos theme? "master butt record" or "bootystrap" could work if they strike your fancy (and if they are available).

Vintersorg posted:

mani's and pedi's are like gods gift to humans

do it, feels so good and it's clean

I dunno about that. people with diabetes are warned against getting pedicures because the less than great sanitation procedures of the average salon poses a significantly heightened infection risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

Thinking of changing my name but I haven't settled on a good persona yet. I think cis autodrag really needs queens in her avatar and that's kinda over.

sis odd toad rag

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
There we go

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

how do you all feel about a site like Hired asking about sexual orientation and transgender status in their optional information section? personally i think its a little weird and they can gently caress off

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I think some HR wunderkid thought it was a great way to promote diversity and didn’t bother thinking their brilliant idea through.

I prefer that to the alternative of they did think it through.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Shaman Linavi posted:

personally i think its a little weird and they can gently caress off

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaman Linavi posted:

how do you all feel about a site like Hired asking about sexual orientation and transgender status in their optional information section? personally i think its a little weird and they can gently caress off

That's bad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Isn't that illegal?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

that is very illegal

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Guys, I think I like percocet too much

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
oh no

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I got addicted to vicodin after a 6 month long root canal fiasco. Opiates are a motherfucker. It's crazy cuz I quit smoking cold turkey after a 10 year pack a day habit that started in high school but opiates just get me. And they're a cruel necessity to get through surgeries and hair removal.

I've been able to control myself, mercifully, but drat. gently caress anyone who blames addicts for their problem, this poo poo is powerful.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
i have done genetic anomaly where I don't get any euphoria from opioids and I'm thankful for it every goddamn day because holy poo poo I know Iwould be volumetrically Chinese lofentanyl in bathroom otherwise.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i got real sick when i was 11 and got addicted to morphine and it was a perfect time because the withdrawals sucked hard but i was young enough to literally be unable to get more opiates for myself

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

cqs: a very close friend who's always kept his sexuality close to his chest said that watching me go through the process of coming out years ago inspired him to work through his own sexuality and chose me as the first person he wanted come out to as bisexual the other day :unsmith:
hell yes

Shaman Linavi posted:

this is bad always and illegal depending on jurisdiction.

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

i have done genetic anomaly where I don't get any euphoria from opioids and I'm thankful for it every goddamn day because holy poo poo I know Iwould be volumetrically Chinese lofentanyl in bathroom otherwise.
The slow release opiates I got after a stint of orthopedic surgery literally did nothing for the pain and still gave me all the lovely side effects so I tossed them. I was lowkey thankful TBH.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 24, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I’m thankful I’ve never needed anything stronger than codeine, which gives me kidney pain. So no chance to have gotten hooked.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

jit bull transpile posted:

Guys, I think I like percocet too much

part of the reason why grs sort of scares me is that i had a dependency on percocet a decade ago

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

still have an emergency stash of hydrocodone laying around from my stupid stomach surgery years ago, personally

very rarely wanted, drat thankful for it when i do

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Shaman Linavi posted:

isn’t that like straight out super illegal?

e: turns out yes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the couple times i've been prescribed opiates as a not-child i was "lucky" enough to be a depraved addict in general and blasted through the 30-day supply in under a week, which seems to have been fast and hard enough to not make me addicted because I had no withdrawal or cravings after either time. woo?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

computer toucher posted:

isn’t that like straight out super illegal?

e: turns out yes.

i think it's just explicitly illegal if an employer asks you, an employment website asking you might be enough of a murky area to still be illegal but not have case law specifically calling it out as such yet

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Lain Iwakura posted:

part of the reason why grs sort of scares me is that i had a dependency on percocet a decade ago
That part is definitely going to suck, because I absolutely can not touch the stuff.

Also, General Anesthesia terrifies me as a concept.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Peeny Cheez posted:

the way my anesthetist explained it to me, driving to the hospital was way riskier then getting put under. he’s retired now, but he worked for 38 years without losing a patient to an anesthesia incident.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Peeny Cheez posted:

Understandable.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Peeny Cheez posted:

That part is definitely going to suck, because I absolutely can not touch the stuff.

What about Lieutenant Topical Numbing?

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

i think it's just explicitly illegal if an employer asks you, an employment website asking you might be enough of a murky area to still be illegal but not have case law specifically calling it out as such yet

I think it's illegal to take any such things into account when hiring here, no matter how you get that information. Finland isn't really big on forcing workplace diversity, I think the mood here seems to be pretty much "if you're qualified for the job we don't care about any of that sexual orientation or gender stuff". At least that's what we thought when we hired [to a techy job], the fact that we hired a woman had nothing to do with the fact that the person we hired was a woman. We just thought she was the best fit for the job because she had the right attitude and experience.

Funnily enough, we've gone really far in driving and legislating workplace/opportunity equality and now that people have the closest resemblance to free choice of profession, more engineers are men and more women are nurses than in a lot of other countries you'd consider more backwards in this respect. For some reason, as freedom to choose increases, the gender differences in chosen occupations widen.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

the way my anesthetist explained it to me, driving to the hospital was way riskier then getting put under. he’s retired now, but he worked for 38 years without losing a patient to an anesthesia incident.
I am afraid of some really weird stuff, so logic isn't gonna help here.

What about Lieutenant Topical Numbing?
I have no feeling on the subject.:j:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

computer toucher posted:

I think it's illegal to take any such things into account when hiring here, no matter how you get that information. Finland isn't really big on forcing workplace diversity, I think the mood here seems to be pretty much "if you're qualified for the job we don't care about any of that sexual orientation or gender stuff". At least that's what we thought when we hired [to a techy job], the fact that we hired a woman had nothing to do with the fact that the person we hired was a woman. We just thought she was the best fit for the job because she had the right attitude and experience.

Funnily enough, we've gone really far in driving and legislating workplace/opportunity equality and now that people have the closest resemblance to free choice of profession, more engineers are men and more women are nurses than in a lot of other countries you'd consider more backwards in this respect. For some reason, as freedom to choose increases, the gender differences in chosen occupations widen.

OK, I'm gonna ask you to cut off this line of reasoning. Nobody here is an expert on demography and I've seen discussions like this go to really gross :biotruths: places in the past. It's an interesting phenomenon for someone in an academic institution to ponder, but not something to chat about itt.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

OK, I'm gonna ask you to cut off this line of reasoning. Nobody here is an expert on demography and I've seen discussions like this go to really gross :biotruths: places in the past. It's an interesting phenomenon for someone in an academic institution to ponder, but not something to chat about itt.

it’s not a line of reasoning, it’s an observation, and I have no idea what it means. But sure, I have no interest in derailing this thread.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
i think that it may be best that you don't post in this thread

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
this is sort of a broad message: i get that some of you are allies (or perceive yourself as one), but you need to listen to those who identify as queer and not make your own assertions. there's a lot of sensitivity by those of us who are queer in whatever capacity and if you're cis, hetero, and especially white, you're going to come off as intrusive if you start to make statements that while in your own head may seem supportive but are otherwise are borderline or outright offensive

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lain Iwakura posted:

this is sort of a broad message: i get that some of you are allies (or perceive yourself as one), but you need to listen to those who identify as queer and not make your own assertions. there's a lot of sensitivity by those of us who are queer in whatever capacity and if you're cis, hetero, and especially white, you're going to come off as intrusive if you start to make statements that while in your own head may seem supportive but are otherwise are borderline or outright offensive

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the most charitable explanation for Hired asking about orientation and gender identity is they want to have the ability to use it to do research into whether employers discriminate based on those things (yes is the answer to that question).

the reason I would never fill them in is because I have zero confidence that they understand just how dangerous that information is and how important it is to keep it from leaking because someone who did understand that wouldn't be asking for that information in the first place. to me the questions feel like the work of people for whom everyone knowing their gender identity and orientation would merit a "whoopsie-doodle, haha" instead of fear for their own personal safety.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Shifty Pony posted:

" instead of fear for their own personal safety.

If I can talk real for a minute, this is what lurks in the back of my head, not the fear itself though, but my recognition that I don’t have that fear because I can’t conceptualize it. I’ve been in basically the most privileged position possible. White, cis, hetero, male, tall, middle class. For 34 years. I’m willingly trading in cis, male and hetero to be more myself, but all my previous life experiences just really doesn’t prepare me for actually having to worry about myself, so how/when is that going to bite me in the rear end?

Thank you for your time.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
That's one of the things that comes with not being cis and is a big part of the experimentation phase, learning and having people warn you with stuff you could do without it being a thing suddenly being at thing. Takes time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bunni-kat posted:

If I can talk real for a minute, this is what lurks in the back of my head, not the fear itself though, but my recognition that I don’t have that fear because I can’t conceptualize it. I’ve been in basically the most privileged position possible. White, cis, hetero, male, tall, middle class. For 34 years. I’m willingly trading in cis, male and hetero to be more myself, but all my previous life experiences just really doesn’t prepare me for actually having to worry about myself, so how/when is that going to bite me in the rear end?

Thank you for your time.

It's really scary at first, but you'll rapidly realize most people don't have the courage to do anything worse than stare. The biggest thing is learning to ignore those stares.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's really scary at first, but you'll rapidly realize most people don't have the courage to do anything worse than stare. The biggest thing is learning to ignore those stares.

the thing my wife has reported as bothering her the most is when her coworkers talk openly about super transphobic poo poo in the news (and boy do they have some horrible and downright bizarre opinions from what she's told me). she's too non-confrontational and shy to go to HR about it or complain at all though, so you'll probably be able to handle that a bit better :shrug:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

yeah. and to be honest you probably will never hear anything being said in your direction. i know for a fact that i pass for cis and that is fine by me and you may find that you'll get the same after a while. passing is only a concern when i am not in queer circles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Lain Iwakura posted:

i'm trying to figure out what i am but i never talk about it because i dont want to step on any toes