Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Hope y'all are ready for 4 years of "stolen election!" and "he's not my president!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

For those playing along at home, 306-232 is exactly the same as 2016.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

For those playing along at home, 306-232 is exactly the same as 2016.

It’s better, actually; Trump got 304 EV due to 2 faithless electors. Biden did better than his YUGE LANDSLIDE WIN

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Hope y'all are ready for 4 years of "stolen election!" and "he's not my president!"

Honestly I just expect the "He's not my president!" poo poo to continue from whichever side loses from now on.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Elmnt80 posted:

Honestly I just expect the "He's not my president!" poo poo to continue from whichever side loses from now on.

Probably

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

So just like when obama was president?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/NicoleConlan/status/1326928011963195397

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Time Crisis Actor posted:

It’s better, actually; Trump got 304 EV due to 2 faithless electors. Biden did better than his YUGE LANDSLIDE WIN

Why would you say this

The EC vote hasn't happened yet

Their next tactic is to try to get enough faithless electors in play to swing the result (they won't) or claim the resulting margin means they have no mandate (more likely but still probably not)

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Aw man I can’t wait to see what my Facebook friends from Arizona are going to post now....I really used to like it there.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Woofer posted:

If I was a mod I would probate you until inauguration day for insinuating that Donald Trump is cute.

It's cruel to rats to compare them to trump, who is more of a shape that America's hate and ignorance has taken the form of.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
On the other hand, rats were also responsible for a major plague.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

They truly are an animal of contrast

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Wasn't that the fleas rather than the rats?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

nwin posted:

Aw man I can’t wait to see what my Facebook friends from Arizona are going to post now....I really used to like it there.

I drove through Tonto Forest and loved the scenery. Beautiful part of the country.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Wasn't that the fleas rather than the rats?

Correct, and that plague would have been sorted out with some basic antibiotics. Instead, the black plague rawdogged Europe until about the only people left had a genetic resistance/immunity to the bacteria.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Inky_Dan/status/1327254151110291457?s=20

Sounds fishy that D clerks tried their best to cure ballots whereas R clerks DGAF. It is pretty great that Rs always want federalism until it doesn't work for them

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Correct, and that plague would have been sorted out with some basic antibiotics. Instead, the black plague rawdogged Europe until about the only people left had a genetic resistance/immunity to the bacteria.

The plague has a case fatality rate of one in ten even with antibiotics.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-discussed-replacing-electoral-college-with-loyalists-nyt-2020-11

You know what, if 2020 is gonna take the dumbest route but have any redeeming value, it would be great if one state did this but wasn't enough to actually change the election so the backlash would be to destroy the EC (unlikely) or pass the national voter's compact (more likely)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr. Nice! posted:

Fun fact, the bubonic plague is endemic in New Mexico and Colorado by way of the prairie dogs everywhere. One of my exes learned the hard way not to joke about having the plague when she accidentally triggered a minor panic in the ER

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-discussed-replacing-electoral-college-with-loyalists-nyt-2020-11

You know what, if 2020 is gonna take the dumbest route but have any redeeming value, it would be great if one state did this but wasn't enough to actually change the election so the backlash would be to destroy the EC (unlikely) or pass the national voter's compact (more likely)

Or everyone in charge would throw their hands in the air and say "well he didn't break any of the rules so he gets another 4 years".

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

"And like Benjamin Franklin, Gritty is very popular with older women."

Nice.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CNN has called the final two outstanding states- GA to Biden, NC to Der Fuhrer.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Don Dongington posted:

Why would you say this

Their next tactic is to try to get enough faithless electors in play to swing the result (they won't) or claim the resulting margin means they have no mandate (more likely but still probably not)

The party that wins a state uses their own electors to case the votes. They're usually faithful party people. I don't see why Biden wouldn't get 306

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Don Dongington posted:

Why would you say this

Why the gently caress have the electoral college system if you can have faithless electors go against how people have voted?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

How long until big strong orange loser start rattling out ideas to try and bribe electors into going faithless?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Leavemywife posted:

Why the gently caress have the electoral college system if you can have faithless electors go against how people have voted?

Umm, excuse me, haven't you seen the hit musical Hamil--*garrotted*

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Leavemywife posted:

In theory, it was meant to counter the illiterate, unwashed masses from choosing a president like Trump. The electors were supposed to be the "voice of reason". As time has passed, this function no longer happens, especially with some states passing laws that prohibit "faithless electors".

Once ALL states pass laws about their electors being bound to vote a certain way, the electoral college will be obsolete.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

ASAPI posted:

In theory, it was meant to counter the illiterate, unwashed masses from choosing a president like Trump. The electors were supposed to be the "voice of reason". As time has passed, this function no longer happens, especially with some states passing laws that prohibit "faithless electors".

Once ALL states pass laws about their electors being bound to vote a certain way, the electoral college will be obsolete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

Its getting close!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

ASAPI posted:

In theory, it was meant to counter the illiterate, unwashed masses from choosing a president like Trump.
the electoral college will be obsolete.
Pretty sure the EC is already obsolete because it had its chance to do its job for the first time in 226 years in 2016 yet didnt do it.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Leavemywife posted:

Theoretically to prevent people like Donald Trump from becoming president.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

stealie72 posted:

Pretty sure the EC is already obsolete because it had its chance to do its job for the first time in 226 years in 2016 yet didnt do it.

~*~bUt wE'vE aLwAyS dOnE iT tHiS wAy~*~

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

stealie72 posted:

Woofer posted:

I never said it functioned as intended. I just happen to know the intent.

The ONE time the EC was supposed to step in, we got Trump.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Who do I have to bother for a gang tag, how does this stuff work?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

bird food bathtub posted:

Who do I have to bother for a gang tag, how does this stuff work?

McNally in the Sherman’s BBQ thread.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Woofer posted:

I thought it was to theoretically prevent people like Barack Obama from becoming president.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

stealie72 posted:

The Electoral College was obsolete before the ink was even dry. The original intent was that educated men could be selected by the state governments to meet and decide who would be the best President, with the second-highest vote getter becoming Vice-President, and this system immediately broke down the second people realized "what if we just select the dude who says he'll vote for the guy we actually want." In the aftermath of the first contested election, 1796, Adams (President) and Jefferson (Vice-President) couldn't stand each other, the election of 1800 featured both parties trying to game the system and accidentally throwing the election to the House. The 12th Amendment was literally written in response to how much of a shitshow those elections were, and even then the EC has featured multiple failures in the centuries since. It's a lovely system, one of the worst ideas that made it into the constitution, and any attempt to justify it is utterly laughable. God I hope it gets scrapped within our lifetimes.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Electoral College was obsolete before the ink was even dry. The original intent was that educated men could be selected by the state governments to meet and decide who would be the best President, with the second-highest vote getter becoming Vice-President, and this system immediately broke down the second people realized "what if we just select the dude who says he'll vote for the guy we actually want." In the aftermath of the first contested election, 1796, Adams (President) and Jefferson (Vice-President) couldn't stand each other, the election of 1800 featured both parties trying to game the system and accidentally throwing the election to the House. The 12th Amendment was literally written in response to how much of a shitshow those elections were, and even then the EC has featured multiple failures in the centuries since. It's a lovely system, one of the worst ideas that made it into the constitution, and any attempt to justify it is utterly laughable. God I hope it gets scrapped within our lifetimes.

Um actually it's a product of the founding fathers and therefore perfect.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Considering the states who've said they will or might implement this, wouldn't it massively favour the republicans because there's still populous republican leaning states that'll do it the old way regardless, thus giving republicans a share of electoral votes in traditionally democratic states without giving anything up in return?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Grip it and rip it posted:

Um actually it's a product of the founding fathers and therefore perfect.
Despite a political science degree 20 years ago, it took me until fairly recently to realize that the founding fathers were idiots who basically wrote "ida know...talk it out?" on parchment as a form of government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Churchill posted:

Considering the states who've said they will or might implement this, wouldn't it massively favour the republicans because there's still populous republican leaning states that'll do it the old way regardless, thus giving republicans a share of electoral votes in traditionally democratic states without giving anything up in return?

Not really, since Republicans would be required to win an actual popular vote election, which they haven't pulled off in nearly 40 years. The law would de facto kill off the Electoral College and probably lead to the EC being abolished as long as the compact passed the constitutional sniff check (it should, because it doesn't actually appropriate any new powers to the states that they didn't already have, it is just an agreement among states controlling the majority of EC votes to respect a National Popular Vote).

It would absolutely upend the landscape though because third-party candidates would suddenly be viable contenders, as long as they can convince the largest percentage of US voters to cast ballots for them.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 14, 2020