Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Last Call posted:

That was the true scary part of Jonas Sr. Even after death he was admired and loved by all despite all the crimes and horrible things he had ever done. The average person has no idea he ever did anything wrong.

Even if people knew, he was still thought well of and celebrated by them.

He got away with it.

100% he won in the court of public opinion and fact he could easily keep winning is what makes the dude dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
In thread topic stuff, learned about https://streamily.com/

Can get autographs and they are some times done live for you to see!

They got Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss stuff. Along with other TV, games and stuff.

Saw the one for Stolas and figured someone here might be thrilled to get something so here you are:

https://streamily.com/BrycePinkham

For either show stuff:
https://streamily.com/HelluvaBoss
https://streamily.com/HazbinHotel

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder what kind of filters or tricks are being used for Fizz's adult voice. That warble or fry or whatever you'd call it isn't there in the flashbacks of his youth. It isn't something the VA is doing naturally, is it?

Also the whole idea of "clown shows" being Hell's pop idol juggernaut industry is hilarious. It's like how in Steven Universe all the anime comes from Australia

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I wonder what kind of filters or tricks are being used for Fizz's adult voice. That warble or fry or whatever you'd call it isn't there in the flashbacks of his youth. It isn't something the VA is doing naturally, is it?

Also the whole idea of "clown shows" being Hell's pop idol juggernaut industry is hilarious. It's like how in Steven Universe all the anime comes from Australia

Not sure, Adam in Hazbin was voiced by the same guy and sounded fairly similar

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Oh no it's one hundo percent natural. From his wiki page: Brightman has revealed that he utilizes ventricular fold phonation, allowing him to create the signature gruff voice of Beetlejuice and Fizzarolli without strain on his vocal cords.

In other words he's trained himself how to sing and speak that way no outside assist needed. He reveals how here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQDTYbtdBjU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh dang, that's cool as heck

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
In case people were not aware, Adams real look was based on him as well.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I mean he does this bullshit like eight times a week.

Also very cool and related is an interview or three that Billy West has given where he studied Tuvan throat singing in order to do Popeye properly.

Human bodies are neat.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
For the Murder Drones fans amongst us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdTCh97qHbQ

March 29, Episode 7.

Glitch has been putting in the time to make these look as good as they can be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Data Graham posted:

Funny thing IMO it makes some sense considering Hell's pop culture and societal osmosis probably lags the mortal world by decades at least. Clowns and circuses have been mainstays of popular entertainment for at least a couple centuries, and for many sinners television is still a relative novelty, while Hell's rulers are explicitly immortal and while it's not clear, there seem to be some implications that at least some other demons like Paimon are much older than human lifespans. Fizz has the broadest appeal to Hell's classes, high and low.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing IMO it makes some sense considering Hell's pop culture and societal osmosis probably lags the mortal world by decades at least. Clowns and circuses have been mainstays of popular entertainment for at least a couple centuries, and for many sinners television is still a relative novelty, while Hell's rulers are explicitly immortal and while it's not clear, there seem to be some implications that at least some other demons like Paimon are much older than human lifespans. Fizz has the broadest appeal to Hell's classes, high and low.

It also plays into the Circus theming going on with all of Vivziepops hell. Like each Sin is representative of a circus act while Lucifer is the ringmaster. Hence the decor in his home and the calliope ringtone on his phone. It makes complete sense that clowns would considered top tier celebrities. Mammon himself was a clown and emphasized that as something alluring and to be desired both for the fame and the sex appeal. Fizzarolli perfectly juggles both seemingly effortlessly hence his intrinsic value as a performer. It also makes Mammon look like a goddamn moron for not treating him better because he has a once in a lifetime resource. And instead of at least trying to keep Fizz invested he banks on the guilt being enough and emotionally and financially abuses the poo poo out of him. Mentally tormenting your cash cow every goddamn year to make a point and keep them begging for your approval is insanity. Doubly so when they're dating your equally powerful brother who hates your guts. It was only matter of time before Fizz snapped and unlike Angel he has a major heavy hitter in his corner who's entirely open to throwing hands if he has to.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 17, 2024

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I'm sure ya'll have gone through this already but I finally say down to watch Hazbin Hotel and it feels like something happened to it from the pilot and it's not... right? I'm 3 episodes in and it's weirdly straightforward with everything, all it's edges got sanded down maybe a little too much. Maybe I'm spoiled from Helluva Boss. Does that change as the season goes on?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kermit The Grog posted:

I'm sure ya'll have gone through this already but I finally say down to watch Hazbin Hotel and it feels like something happened to it from the pilot and it's not... right? I'm 3 episodes in and it's weirdly straightforward with everything, all it's edges got sanded down maybe a little too much. Maybe I'm spoiled from Helluva Boss. Does that change as the season goes on?

Immediately after the point you’re currently at, yes

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Jeez, what timing! I guess I'll get back to it then and report back. Thanks

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kermit The Grog posted:

Jeez, what timing! I guess I'll get back to it then and report back. Thanks

I will note that you shouldn’t expect it to be quite as edgy as HB however (that was all Brandon Rogers who isn’t part of the writers room on this show) but it does improve in my opinion at least (episode 4 is probably one of the better episodes of the show overall)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You're at exactly the point where I came in here to post the exact same opinion lol.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Honestly I thought the pilot was too edgy, as was early Helluva Boss, but it felt like all that Newgrounds/Tumblr gently caress You energy was sanded down so much in this now finished product. Didn't feel as personal and bumpy as Helluva does, but as stated, I still have more to go to find it finding its footing

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The Hazbin Hotel pilot has been described by some as being more punchy with jokes and sound effects firing at a more rapid pace than the series and I got to agree.

They definitely dialed back some on the amount of funny bits popping off.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Last Call posted:

The Hazbin Hotel pilot has been described by some as being more punchy with jokes and sound effects firing at a more rapid pace than the series and I got to agree.

They definitely dialed back some on the amount of funny bits popping off.

My main issue with the pilot is it was a bit rushed and too all over the place. It needed more moments to breathe and settle into itself. I think that's why the series seems constrained by comparison. Scene transitions aren't happening nearly as rapidly or with as much going on.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Brandon Rogers also loves clowns.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Does Amazon do test audiences or anything? Maybe the Hazbin crew got results from the first three episodes and were able to go 'see, the randoms get it,' at which point they could get crazier with it.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Y’all were not kidding. Just finished episode 4 and Wow! That’s what I’m looking for. That’s the energy I’ve been getting from Helluva. Thanks everyone for saying keep going

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Amazon took out the original plot of The Boys, they could easily do (or have done) the same to HH.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

KORNOLOGY posted:

Amazon took out the original plot of The Boys, they could easily do (or have done) the same to HH.
I've heard they put in a better one in the case of The Boys, or at least they hosed off Garth Ennis's unique style traits

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Nessus posted:

I've heard they put in a better one in the case of The Boys, or at least they hosed off Garth Ennis's unique style traits

Yeah, they definitely made it watchable. But what I'm saying is they have the power to do that.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
I mean look at The Sandman reboot.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kermit The Grog posted:

Y’all were not kidding. Just finished episode 4 and Wow! That’s what I’m looking for. That’s the energy I’ve been getting from Helluva. Thanks everyone for saying keep going

Episode 4 also has two of the best songs out of the whole first season with Poison and Loser Baby, which helps as well

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Macaluso posted:

Episode 4 also has two of the best songs out of the whole first season with Poison and Loser Baby, which helps as well

Best part of episode 4 is Keith David getting mega love from the zoomers who are now discovering him and it's just the best.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
loser baby is the best song of the season but the number really throws into relief how over designed husk is. especially that tuft on his tail, it ruins his silhouette

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Loser Baby is good, but it's a bit over rated.

Glad for the Keith love people gave him for it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Last Call posted:

Who assigns these ratings?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Madurai posted:

Who assigns these ratings?

Four people in two full body suits in extremely bulky tench coats with top hats.

Some say it's really a pair of brooms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nessus posted:

I dunno how Ennis feels about it but that may track with how The Boys started off as mostly an edgefest but later on Ennis realised he's onto something, and some passages have been described as Ennis arguing with the version of himself who wrote the earlier issues.

Probably not dissimilar to how Hazbin and Helluva grew more nuance from the pilots to the full shows, and figured out what about the characters and premise has the best legs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Last Call posted:

Four people in two full body suits in extremely bulky tench coats with top hats.

Some say it's really a pair of brooms.

I can see Moxxie and Millie doing this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Macaluso posted:

I watched the hell out of the video for Poison on YouTube before the actual episode came out. Thought it was absolutely banging.

Then I caught the 4th episode and OOF. Context hurts

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

KORNOLOGY posted:

The Boys comic and The Boys TV have a smilar plot and characters but the TV is definitely far better. It's not the first time a comic book concept has been taken and changed for the better. Take Wanted by Mark Millar, the comic is all about comic super villians pretty much doing whatever they want and better total shits. The movie? Assassins! Almost entirely different than the source material. Kings Men is another whose concept was vastly made better by the movie.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

The Last Call posted:

Glad for the Keith love people gave him for it.

Kind of agree here. I think Poison was the better of the two but that doesn't mean Loser, Baby is bad.

Personally I think my favorite is More Than Anything. Just for the simple reason of the father daughter relationship tugging at my paternal heartstrings. My kids are growing up quick and like Lucifer said, I'm dying to find out who they become.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So gonna put this riiight here.

Something has been stewing in my head and it's a theory on who is Alastor's contract holder. There's probably some tidbit somewhere that busts this in an interview or something, but here goes: Lucifer.

First, the obvious other contenders:

Niffy: The comedy option. While this would be hilarious, I don't think she's smart enough to get Alastor that stuck. The only acceptable option is if Niffty was taken over by God and is revealed in some crazy Deus Ex/Macguffin reveal where God just wanted to see what was going on.

Lilith: I don't think it's Lilith because I don't think Lilith has any real emotional attachment to Charlie other than the failed use at a power grab/way to get back into heaven. I believe the contract is very much to "watch over" Charlie and make sure she isn't hurt, and I honestly don't think Lilith has the capacity for that. There's a lot of conjecture in my brain about how Lilith is basically a sociopath.

On to Lucifer. The 'why'. As stated above, I firmly believe the contract is to protect and keep Charlie safe, maybe even help her with whatever she needs. I don't know how long the hotel project has been going on, but it's feasible. The contract would give him the power to be an overlord and basically fairly unstoppable in that realm of power. Lucifer is probably one of the few people who could actually do that, I suspect Lilith doesn't even have that much power. I don't think Alastor has had any challenges to that power beyond that until Adam wiped the floor with him. As part of the contract, I feel that Alastor disdains Lucifer's mentality, and they agreed to either act like they've never seen each other, or the memory of the contract being made was suppressed (Let's be real, Lucifer probably just forgot). That's why when they meet for the first time, Alastor and Lucifer were so incredibly antagonistic to each other. Even before their verbal sparring started, Alastor was badly irritated by Lucifer's arrival. Not just "oh here's someone who's more powerful than me', Alastor seemed to be angry annoyed (eye badly twitching and the 'smile' he always wears seemed to be more angry than just annoyed, like with the eggbois). Shortly after they immediately go into a pretty stabby verbal sparring match. Little things like Alastor wiping his hand off after shaking Lucifer's cane.

While a lot of it can be written off as Alastor antagonizing, it all seems incredibly personal. When they go into the song, it's very much Lucifer reiterating how he's over/more powerful than Alastor, and Alastor doing nothing but digging on how Lucifer's a lovely dad and pushing back as much as he can, likely knowing that Alastor can't do anything to Lucifer, and how Alastor also knows that Lucifer won't actually do anything to truly hurt Alastor.

Anyways, now let's stop thinking about it.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I suggested the Nifty possibility a while ago as well, mainly like you I find the thought to be hilarious and it would be a hell of a reveal if that turned out the stupid goofball character in fact was anything but.

Lilith? It sure sounded like it could go that way when the seven years thing popped up didn’t it. After the reveal she’s in Heaven odds are she’s actually hiding. My guess is something came and scared the hell out of her, or her straight out of hell. Alastor on the other hand got faced with death or a leash. They might not even know one another, simply both caught up in a similar event or situation.

Considering Alastor only ever swore at two angelic beings, that being Lucifer and Adam, his soul holder might be from Heaven. It explains his contempt and hatred of them and why he even wanted to fight Adam. Then again it might be his shadow that is always with him. It certainly seems alive.

I discount Lucifer due to the fact he’s been largely a depressed shut in who only ever had his family to keep him going and once he lost that he sunk in a deep hole. The man has power, ain’t no doubt about that. He’s also a total goofball. What goes on in Hell is almost beneath him, they are the worse of the worse and he really doesn’t care about them. If he really wanted to do anything he could simply, do it. Order any number of powerful beings in hell from Overlords, Goetia family or other Sins to you name it to do his bidding or else. The only reason he hasn't is because that's not quite who he is, Charlie takes after him. A gentle heart. It takes someone really pushing them to make them lash back ie: Threatening either family member and trying to kill them.

The show has played Alastor up huge and the fans obviously bought into it, but in the great scheme of things, Alastor is still very much middle of the road when compared to the rest of the powers and authority of hell. He's more of a office manager if you had to compare him to any real thing in life. Alastors attitude torwards Lucifer is what annoyed Luci with the guy. He's likely not use to getting treated that way and let's face it, if not for Alastor helping Charlie, Lucifer probably would have put him in his place there and then if pushed much further. Likely with as much effort as you lifting a pen.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

The Last Call posted:

Considering Alastor only ever swore at two angelic beings, that being Lucifer and Adam, his soul holder might be from Heaven. It explains his contempt and hatred of them and why he even wanted to fight Adam. Then again it might be his shadow that is always with him. It certainly seems alive.

His shadow was also grinning like mad while Alastor was having a breakdown during the final song, which kind of does imply its deal is more than just an expression of Alastor's powers.