Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

gohmak posted:

Anyone read KSR New York 2140?

It's ok. It either needed to be 2/3 as long or 3/2 as long - it's got an ensemble cast but nobody really gets to shine. Either some characters needed to be cut or it needed to linger even longer.

It's about as mundane a future setting as you can imagine (Venice NYC aside), and I saw that criticism a few times. But I think that was part of the exercise: What if the future isn't drastically different from today? What if in 2140 it's still Republicans vs Democrats, arguing over capital gains and how to regulate hedge funds? What if every main character's job in ~*the future*~ already exists today? What if society isn't drastically different? Why do we assume it will be?

I guess it's one way of answering the question of our time - "How will the Climate Changed future feel to live in?" In New York 2140 the answer is "almost exactly the same, with different shorelines and assumptions about energy generation, but with all the same problems, and with mostly the same solutions (so stop putting it off)." It's an optimistic thought, in a KSR sort of way. But it could have been a better novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Sorry wt

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Books are my external hard drives. Giving them away is like giving away a piece of my brain.

. . . It's not hoarding if it's books

:same:

With a new house without storage space and two small kids I find my book shelf space is rapidly decreasing.
But I figure I will get more again once I have finished converting my kids to bookworms.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Prolonged Priapism posted:

It's ok. It either needed to be 2/3 as long or 3/2 as long - it's got an ensemble cast but nobody really gets to shine. Either some characters needed to be cut or it needed to linger even longer.

It's about as mundane a future setting as you can imagine (Venice NYC aside), and I saw that criticism a few times. But I think that was part of the exercise: What if the future isn't drastically different from today? What if in 2140 it's still Republicans vs Democrats, arguing over capital gains and how to regulate hedge funds? What if every main character's job in ~*the future*~ already exists today? What if society isn't drastically different? Why do we assume it will be?

I guess it's one way of answering the question of our time - "How will the Climate Changed future feel to live in?" In New York 2140 the answer is "almost exactly the same, with different shorelines and assumptions about energy generation, but with all the same problems, and with mostly the same solutions (so stop putting it off)." It's an optimistic thought, in a KSR sort of way. But it could have been a better novel.

I'll give KSR the benefit of the doubt on this, but if things are almost exactly the same, what happened with the predicted catastrophic famines and mass migrations in the third world?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Cardiac posted:

:same:

With a new house without storage space and two small kids I find my book shelf space is rapidly decreasing.
But I figure I will get more again once I have finished converting my kids to bookworms.

Kids don't need toys or beds, you should be fine for space

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Antti posted:

I'll give KSR the benefit of the doubt on this, but if things are almost exactly the same, what happened with the predicted catastrophic famines and mass migrations in the third world?

IIRC they did happen but mostly in the mid 21st century so things have recovered somewhat, and anyway all the main characters are New Yorkers living in the cosy protective bubble of the first world.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

freebooter posted:

IIRC they did happen but mostly in the mid 21st century so things have recovered somewhat, and anyway all the main characters are New Yorkers living in the cosy protective bubble of the first world.

Right, but what I'm getting at is that if you're a first worlder being able to live a perfectly happy and satisfying life in the 22nd century despite global warming, it takes on a dystopian tone to me if it was done on the backs of three billion poor people dying of starvation.

Now, of course you have a reasonable argument that this is already happening and has been happening since the birth of colonialism and imperialism. What I'm trying to say is that it makes me too uncomfortable to think of that kind of depiction of a climate-changed world as "optimistic."

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 25, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
that's because in the pessimistic scenario the 3 billion third worlders starve just the same, only the first worlders do too

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

freebooter posted:

I'm sure it's a diverse cast of New Yorkers though.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I read the first Dune book while on a trip. It was pretty good overall, though fifty-some years have probably tempered it since it was the book which raised the game for a lot of science fiction. It's kind of oddly paced too, it feels like half of the book is going "oh man, there's gonna be a betrayal, here it comes, look at these loving Harkonnens go!" and then kind of glosses over Paul turning into Genghis Khan: the Baron getting taken out like a complete chump kind of fits thematically in an Icarus kind of way but it's a bit of a letdown given how incredibly fun all of his plotting was, it feels like he goes from principle narrative force to an afterthought around the final bit of the novel. I'm sort of torn about the ending because it really made me want to read more but the lack of a real conclusion sort of hurt the book. I can definitely see why a nerdy teenager would adore this series though, I think if I was ten years younger when I read this book it would have been an obsession for me.

Also apparently the series overall has a really wide level of quality between books where some are really good and others are horrible and some are just straight up :wtc:. I know the ones written by his son are supposed to not be that good but could I get a quick runthrough of what the ones written by Frank are like overall?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

ManlyGrunting posted:

Also apparently the series overall has a really wide level of quality between books where some are really good and others are horrible and some are just straight up :wtc:. I know the ones written by his son are supposed to not be that good but could I get a quick runthrough of what the ones written by Frank are like overall?
  • DUNE: Masterpiece of sci-fi but a little bit weird. But the good kind of weird.
  • DUNE MESSIAH: Kinda always struck me as a worldbuilding book before that was a thing. At least it's short. :shrug:
  • CHILDREN OF DUNE: People say it's the best after Dune but I barely remember anything about it and it seems mostly like it's setup for...
  • GOD EMPEROR OF DUNE: You either think this book is a brilliant piece of spiritualist speculative fiction or that it's utterly batshit crazy nonsense. It could possibly be both.
  • HERETICS OF DUNE: It exists.
  • CHAPTERHOUSE: DUNE: It also exists, plus it ends on a cliffhanger and then Frank died and nobody cares what Brian and KJA think should have happened because they are terrible.
The rule of thumb for the series is that you should stop at some point and nobody is sure exactly where that point is. It ranges from "stop after Dune" to "stop before Brian/KJA take over." I'd argue the most natural points are after the first book, after Children, or after God Emperor. If you read Messiah you may as well read Children, and if you're super curious where he's taking that read God Emperor. I don't think the later Frank books really add anything.

Honestly if you want more Frank Herbert after Dune I'd just read Destination: Void and decide if that poo poo is for you. The Godmakers and God Emperor of Dune are probably his most interesting works on a conceptual level (after Dune itself), but whether they actually work is debatable.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nakar posted:

• DUNE: Masterpiece of sci-fi but a little bit weird. But the good kind of weird.
  • DUNE MESSIAH: Kinda always struck me as a worldbuilding book before that was a thing. At least it's short. :shrug:
  • CHILDREN OF DUNE: People say it's the best after Dune but I barely remember anything about it and it seems mostly like it's setup for...
  • GOD EMPEROR OF DUNE: You either think this book is a brilliant piece of spiritualist speculative fiction or that it's utterly batshit crazy nonsense. It could possibly be both.
  • HERETICS OF DUNE: It exists.
  • CHAPTERHOUSE: DUNE: It also exists, plus it ends on a cliffhanger and then Frank died and nobody cares what Brian and KJA think should have happened because they are terrible.
The rule of thumb for the series is that you should stop at some point and nobody is sure exactly where that point is. It ranges from "stop after Dune" to "stop before Brian/KJA take over." I'd argue the most natural points are after the first book, after Children, or after God Emperor. If you read Messiah you may as well read Children, and if you're super curious where he's taking that read God Emperor. I don't think the later Frank books really add anything.

Honestly if you want more Frank Herbert after Dune I'd just read Destination: Void and decide if that poo poo is for you. The Godmakers and God Emperor of Dune are probably his most interesting works on a conceptual level (after Dune itself), but whether they actually work is debatable.

Chapterhouse is amazing because the cliffhanger ending of all this galaxy-spanning philosophical war is Murbella thinking about eating oyster soup with the rest of the Sisterhood . It's delightfully bonkers.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
IMO Dune asks a question and Messiah answers it. The same is true of Children and God Emperor but to a lesser extent. Also Heretics is fun and rules.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The rule for Dune is to keep reading until you personally decide "ok that was bad," then stop, go no further, because it will never get better.

Personally the last book in the series I like is God Emperor.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am going to only read Dune because I heard eventually there is a philosopher man slug and that sounds p. dumb.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am going to only read Dune because I heard eventually there is a philosopher man slug and that sounds p. dumb.

You're going to want to read through and including God Emperor and... just strap the gently caress in for that one.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
It's never too soon to stop reading Dune sequels.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Just watch the movie, its better than the book.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just play the video game, it's better than the movie.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Sunbathing on a dune is the ultimate Dune experience.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Just watch the movie about the movie that never got made; it's better than the movie.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chairchucker posted:

And Dune II is a better video game than Dune I, and at that point you might as well play Warcraft.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 25, 2017

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Dune tabletop game is pretty good. You may have to :filez: the game board to make it happen, though.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And Dune II is a better video game than Dune I, and at that point you might as well play Warcraft.

Excuse you, Dune 2000 is the greatest RTS of all time

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The one with Agent Cooper or the one with Professor X

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

If you get a choice in life, always go with Dale Cooper.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Clark Nova posted:

The Dune tabletop game is pretty good. You may have to :filez: the game board to make it happen, though.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Dune

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Number Ten Cocks posted:

:can:

Chairchucker posted:

:allbuttons:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The one with Agent Cooper or the one with Professor X

They're both in the same movie, so obviously that one.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Anybody seen any news about K. J. Parker's apparently failing serial project Two of Swords?

Amazon just canceled my preorders for some of the last installments, and I see that now there's a "volume 1, volume 2, volume 3" up for preorder, but I can't figure out what's going on.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

We know the only movie better than the book is Starship Troopers

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Fight Club.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Blade Runner (Harrison Ford's best movie)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

Fight Club.

I would have also accepted The Shining

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I literally cannot watch Blade Runner without falling asleep

That movie is somehow programmed to knock me the gently caress out

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Stardust. IMO.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Hobbit

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The Godfather, if only by virtue of cutting the subplot about loose vaginas.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You best be referring to the Rankin and Bass version or we are gonna fight

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Godfather, if only by virtue of cutting the subplot about loose vaginas.

Marlon Brando's face was still in the movie though :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
L.A. Confidential.

I mean, the book is good too, but it's radically different and spans decades. And the whole Rollo Tomasi device was made up for the movie. It's a good thing it won an Oscar for best adaptation, because I can't think of a movie that has changed so much from the source book and still delivered something that good.