Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Vatek posted:

Carriers aren't even close to the level of bullshit that is artillery in World of Tanks.

Doesn't feel that way. A good arty player can carry a game the way a good carrier player can. If one carrier suck and the other team has a good one he will wreck half a team by himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Carriers are really annoying, but I've rarely found them to be anywhere near as bad as artillery in WoT.

Although recently I played a game where my team was loosing decidedly but I was alone in a Konig about to face off in a gun duel one on one with a Kaiser. I was pumped considering my opinion on both of those ships. But then the other team's carriers ruined that plan by torping the poo poo out of me and I died to the Kaiser super easily. I wasn't happy at all. That's like my worst carrier story though.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Krogort posted:

Doesn't feel that way. A good arty player can carry a game the way a good carrier player can. If one carrier suck and the other team has a good one he will wreck half a team by himself.

A lot of ships can carry a game but the WoWS equivalent to the "fairness" of WoT artillery would be a carrier with invisible planes.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

There are some times especially with two carriers where it's just gently caress you the valkyries have come and chosen you.

Confirmation bias and those make for not much fun.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vatek posted:

A lot of ships can carry a game but the WoWS equivalent to the "fairness" of WoT artillery would be a carrier with invisible planes.

Except the artillery can't spot for itself, and plane torp drops aren't horrible, horrible RNG.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Carriers aren't as effective at ruining one person's game like artillery, but are better at shaping the course of the game. They don't seem as effective at outright eliminating ships like they used too at least. Although there are times that a person can get caught in a bad space and get cross dropped, then set on fire.

Biggest problem with carriers is how most ships can't do squat about their planes at low/mid tiers because of how bad their AA is, making it so all you can do is helplessly watch planes fly in, and then leave without casualties.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Any good guides for playing dd? Im having fun rolling around at 30+ knots scaring people but not having huge amount of luck actually doing significant damage.

Stay alive. The longer you are alive, the more chance you have to get higher exp, especially in garbage time caps. When you die you leave your team vulnerable to getting raped by any destroyer with half a brain.

Play to your nation's strength. ex. Don't try to make Russian dd's torp masters.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

CitizenKain posted:

Carriers aren't as effective at ruining one person's game like artillery, but are better at shaping the course of the game. They don't seem as effective at outright eliminating ships like they used too at least. Although there are times that a person can get caught in a bad space and get cross dropped, then set on fire.

Biggest problem with carriers is how most ships can't do squat about their planes at low/mid tiers because of how bad their AA is, making it so all you can do is helplessly watch planes fly in, and then leave without casualties.

And at high tiers, you can't fly your planes near anything without losing all of them.

At the end of the day, the longer the game goes on, the more impact a carrier has. I have games that end before I'm getting my second bombing run off.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

This probably has to do with it. I haven't really been grinding any line in particular, so my best AA is either on my Wyoming or Myogi. That probably also influences their ability to keep someone spotted when the AA has short range and low damage.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
T4 and under is a strange, strange place where the AA is almost completely nonexistent, every cruiser has a gazillion single barrel guns and a St. Louis is a better battleship than most battleships.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This probably has to do with it. I haven't really been grinding any line in particular, so my best AA is either on my Wyoming or Myogi. That probably also influences their ability to keep someone spotted when the AA has short range and low damage.

My nikolai literally has 4 marines with ak-47s pointed at the sky as aa. I think there is one actual gun as well, but it is 4x1 7.62mm that makes me laugh the most.

In other aircraft talk though, I gotta ask some questions on some stuff as I'm rusty and don't really pay attention to the carrier meta while driving other ships (also, the ui fight really bothers me as well).

1) I have both the independence and ryujo. I know for the ryujo, neither plane load out is bad as you still have some torpedo bombers but strike is often the best choice. You still have a fighter for some air protection. The independence though is where I'm struggling. I would prefer to go through the american carrier line first. I know people point out they are bad in the top tiers. However, while true or not, they are also more friendly in that you are not running around trying to control a dozen different squads like the JP. So which plane loadout should I be taking on the independence. Strike is the given choice and usually what I hear, but without any fighters even a strike ryujo will just poo poo all over you. Balanced sounds like a possibility, but it'll be stalled by an AS ryujo anyway. An AS independence answers the air space problem, but you only get dive bombers which is.. less than ideal. However, I'd noticed I have been getting better at landing them using manual aim anyway.

2) Does anyone have info or screenshots of this supposed carrier ui update that was hinted at last patch (and apparently not in the next patch either)?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vatek posted:

T4 and under is a strange, strange place where the AA is almost completely nonexistent, every cruiser has a gazillion single barrel guns and a St. Louis is a better battleship than most battleships.

Seriously, if the St. Louis had access to repair party, I would have a hard time making myself play anything else.

The Tenryu/Kuma/Phoenix don't have so many guns, but I also don't really enjoy playing them, which is probably related.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Vatek posted:

Try the battle of Surigao Strait. Radar-guided FCS allowed West Virginia to land first-salvo hits on Yamashiro at ranges of 20,000m in pitch darkness, a feat that would be almost completely impossible with pre-radar FCS methods. The Japanese were widely regarded as masters of night fighting (as they had already demonstrated off Savo Island in 1942) but even the most skilled Japanese gunnery teams couldn't compete with that.

Obviously the hit rate increases substantially as the range closes but when you're talking about battleships taking shots at each other at ranges of 15-25,000 meters, hit rates would be in the low single digits.

Even before that, in the second battle of Guadalcanal Washington hit Kirishima nine times with main guns at night, in the same time as Kirishima hit South Dakota (which had a power failure, and was illuminated by searchlights) once or twice.

And Iowa first salvo straddled a maneuvering destroyer at 35,000 yards while attacking Truk.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

For those going up the US carrier tree, the stock configuration is generally the best choice at the lower tiers, because it strikes a good balance. And due to Bogue having incredibly low plane reserves to support 3 squadrons, and Independence simply gaining virtually nothing by swapping its squadrons around, one of the specialized options leaves you with serious weaknesses. Ranger and up the choice becomes slightly more difficult due to the rather large increase in plane reserves and additional squadrons, so throwing out suicide groupings of attack craft and then simply waiting a bit longer for your next strike becomes slightly more viable.

To wit:
-AS configuration can wipe the enemy from the sky if you know what you're doing, but decently influencing the game other than just keeping the enemy CV out is rather difficult. You can still rack up a decent bit of damage by picking and choosing wisely with your single squad of dive bombers, but even a 20k game is generally going to be difficult to get often.
-Strike configuration obviously has the potential to do the most damage, but you sacrifice any and all ability to protect your teammates from the enemy CV. If the enemy CV is better at choosing targets than you then it becomes a damage race that neither team of surface ships is going to enjoy, and if they're competent at controlling their fighters there is nothing you can do to protect your bombers and he may very well leave you as an ineffectual and slow bath toy.
-For Bogue especially, both of these configurations have issues that they have incredibly limited replacements for their squads. With triple squadrons, you only have 10 replacement aircraft, which means your primary, or only in the case of AS config, source of damage doesn't even have a single full squadron worth of replacements, and your dual squadrons are also incredibly vulnerable to taking any damage at all. Get unlucky as an AS Bogue and both your fighter squadrons get caught in a sweep by the enemy CV? Well, guess your sole reason for existence on the team just disappeared.

Simply keeping the 1 fighter, 1 torpedo bomber configuration for Bogue is fairly decent, and the 1/1/1 configuration for Independence is simply better than either nearly completely giving up on damage with 2/0/1, or ditching your fighter squadrons for a single extra lower tier US dive bomber squadron.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 1, 2016

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So what is dive bomber that you target do?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

So what is dive bomber that you target do?

This looks a bit mangled. Are you asking what happens when you target a squadron of planes? It focuses all your AA guns on that squad (that are in range of those planes) and gives you bonus damage against them. Basically, always be targeting planes if you have a few seconds to spare.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
While not my initial question intent, can you target planes for AA without that manual target captain skill?

Also, I was trying to ask how you intelligently use dive bombers because I just try to dump on DDs since they won't shred them with AA.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

While not my initial question intent, can you target planes for AA without that manual target captain skill?

Also, I was trying to ask how you intelligently use dive bombers because I just try to dump on DDs since they won't shred them with AA.

ctrl-left click to target airplanes. You can do the same for ships for secondaries although I don't think they get a damage bonus for doing it (I do it out of habit anyway even though I don't have manual secondaries).

In terms of dive bombers, one of the more fun aspects is to hide your torpedo bombers, and dump a dive bomber on a target. Wait for them to repair, wait a few secs, then bring in your torpedo bombers. If flooding occurs, smile as your planes are sitting on deck getting repaired/replaced with damage still rolling in. You can also do the reverse as well for things like carriers where fires are detrimental.

As for what ships to use them on, any really. Later USN BBs and cruisers are things to avoid with any plane set though as they have a monstrous amount of AA. IJN are pretty easy pickings. So are russians. Germans might take a few planes out on the run in though, but you'll still have some planes left to drop unlike a flight at a USN ship.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
This new ARP event seems very easy. 1.3 million damage or 700k damage in tier 4-5 or 6+ isn't going to take long, far less a month. Which I'm okay with, given how awful the ARP-Myoko event was. I'd just like a premium Myoko so I can switch that crew to a Mogami instead. Is the credit gain on the ARP ships even anything special, or is the gimmicky anime stuff the primary draw?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The only thing the ARP ships do is give you another crew trainer - no extra credit gain, even though they are 'premiums.'

JCFalkenberg
Jul 7, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only thing the ARP ships do is give you another crew trainer - no extra credit gain, even though they are 'premiums.'

Actually you can't even train regular tree captains on them. They do let you free up a couple port slots and keep a pair of excellent ships though.

e: Assuming you're willing to put up with the annoying as poo poo voices anyway.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

JCFalkenberg posted:

Actually you can't even train regular tree captains on them. They do let you free up a couple port slots and keep a pair of excellent ships though.

e: Assuming you're willing to put up with the annoying as poo poo voices anyway.

You can mute the voices.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Any good guides for playing dd? Im having fun rolling around at 30+ knots scaring people but not having huge amount of luck actually doing significant damage.

(This is mostly for lower tier)

For the IJN it's all about getting into the sweet spot where you're within torpedo range but outside detection range. Early on this is 7KM torp range and 6.1KM detect range. The best way I've found to do this is to charge towards them and at around 8-9KM (depending on their speed) do a hard turn so that you are roughly parallel to them and moving away. Slow down if you need to so they enter torp range, and once they do launch torps and speed away directly from them. Done right the first sign you are even there is a torp warning. For aiming, fire one lot at the marker and the rest further back, so that if they turn or slow down there's still a chance of hitting them. It's not a perfect method, since your target may decide to drastically change course, and there's always a chance an enemy destroyer stumbles across you, but it is a solid method of either getting good damage, or at least making the enemy too worried about stealth torps to focus of shooting.

The IJN DD guns are terrible. Slow reload, short range and slow turret turn time means you should avoid gunfights against anything not on the brink of death. And even then it might not be a good idea if you are not spotted, since shooting increases your detectability and being detected means death. Stay at range, stay out of sight, and if an enemy DD spots you run the hell away and pray he's not a good shot.

For the US it's the opposite. Great guns, average torpedoes. So you're gonna have to git gud at dodging enemy fire while also returning fire. Multiple course changes, keep changing speed, avoid showing your broadside as much as possible and generally be the most annoying shitstain you can be. Don't worry, your guns turn fast enough to keep up with all but the tightest of turns. You can also dart in to get some torps off as well is you're feeling ballsy, just make sure to spread them out since not firing the guns is a dead giveaway that you're launching torps and your target will start turning hard, and don't do it against cruisers since at that range they will punish you. And always remember to run if you get in over your head. Pop smoke or engine boost, cease fire, and leg it. Once you're undetected find some other poor sucker to harass.

For the Russians it's even more gun focused. Their guns have longer range and better rates of fire then US DDs (at least until mid-tier, where US DDs get machine gun cannons) and a flatter arc for easier aiming. The turn time is worse, but at the longer range your maneuvers don't need to be quite so violent to avoid incoming fire. Which is just as well since the torpedoes are really bad. Slow, low damage and suicidally short ranged. You do get a lot of them, and they have a short reload time, but it's generally best to maintain range so you avoid getting hit.

Above all, doing well with DDs is about patience. IJN DDs can get the big damage numbers but you need the patience to set up a good torp run. US and Russian DDs can't get big damage numbers without risk of eating a full broadside but while their guns don't do big damage per shot, they can put a lot of shots into an enemy, and it all adds up. Plink away, and once that battleship is burning from stem to stern it all becomes worthwhile.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The main advantages of the ARP missions is getting free ships and if you were lucky, a very good captain. I like both the Kongo and Myoko and had both IJN versions in my port. When I obtained the ARP versions of them, I was able to sell both IJN ships for around 3m creds. I was then able to drop their 12-14 point captains in other IJN ships, while gaining a 16 point ARP captain who can be used in both the Kongo and Myoko.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do you guys calculate long range shots cause now i have a very pretty kirov but firing at 12kms+ is basically firing at random and praying they fall somewhere near enemy boats.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mans posted:

how do you guys calculate long range shots cause now i have a very pretty kirov but firing at 12kms+ is basically firing at random and praying they fall somewhere near enemy boats.

Practise, really, takes a battle or two to get used to shell speed on each ship, and figuring out roughly how fast a target is going - the mod that tells you if a ship is still or in reverse is invalauble against those annoying as gently caress drivers. Botes moving at an oblique angle just require a little bit of eyeballing and geometry as well.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Mans posted:

I forget who said it in here, but the general rule was something like 1.0x the shell travel time per marker on the static gunsight (I think I use the Type 9 sight) for 20kt BBs (so, Standard BBs until the NorCal), 1.3x for cruisers (28-30knts) and 1.5+ for DDs.

Of course, if they are going faster(or slower) than you expect, you'll need to walk the fire onto them.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I repeatedly surprise myself with how well I manage to eyeball first salvos pretty much on target. Well, technically on target, practically not because RNG will make half the shells fly over and the other half fall short, but you know.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Practise, really, takes a battle or two to get used to shell speed on each ship, and figuring out roughly how fast a target is going - the mod that tells you if a ship is still or in reverse is invalauble against those annoying as gently caress drivers. Botes moving at an oblique angle just require a little bit of eyeballing and geometry as well.

In torp equipped ships, i just use the lead indicator to judge speed and direction. I'm also a weird guy in not using any mods.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

i always forget to do that, and I stopped using gunsight and reticle mods ages ago, they didn't do anything for me.

Also, the Dunkerque is cool and good, and I'm glad I bought it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Nordick posted:

I repeatedly surprise myself with how well I manage to eyeball first salvos pretty much on target. Well, technically on target, practically not because RNG will make half the shells fly over and the other half fall short, but you know.

Nothing like scattering a salvo all over an enemy cruiser showing broadside.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

I recently had an Omaha broadside on to my Kaiser after he beached himself. One loving hit. One! It was a citadel since, y'know, Omaha, but still, eight rounds, one hit :argh:

And then I exploded because of the three battleships shooting me, but that was another matter entirely.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

ArchangeI posted:

The Colorado killed my enthusiasm for this game due to this kind of thing. It was hilariously inaccurate while sporting huge size, poor turning speed, and awful armor.

I could deal with everything aside from the accuracy, watching your shells land in all directions around a target over and over again...

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Warbadger posted:

The Colorado killed my enthusiasm for this game due to this kind of thing. It was hilariously inaccurate while sporting huge size, poor turning speed, and awful armor.

I could deal with everything aside from the accuracy, watching your shells land in all directions around a target over and over again...

And then, you do something amazing with it. Like double citadel both an Amagi and NC winning the game for your team.

That said, I had maybe one of my worst days ever in this game yesterday. A 90k damage Bayern game aside I was playing like poop and getting wrecked. I was not a happy camper.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Colorado B hull got buffed a lot.

If it was four knots faster I'd still have it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Brilliant Mahan game, got rammed midships by a friendly Schors who refused to slow down or turn so I could get off his bow, plowed me into a torpedo, got us both killed in one follow up gun broadside for an enemy medal, then asked me why i wasn't getting out of the way.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Brilliant Mahan game, got rammed midships by a friendly Schors who refused to slow down or turn so I could get off his bow, plowed me into a torpedo, got us both killed in one follow up gun broadside for an enemy medal, then asked me why i wasn't getting out of the way.

Saw this on reddit yesterday, linked in discord, but apparently didn't link here:

https://streamable.com/72f5

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I wish I was that lucky, I got T boned, and it was my daily too

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Warbadger posted:

You should try the Colorado again. Starting with buffed B Hull, the dispersion and sigma value got tightened quite nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

JuffoWup posted:

Saw this on reddit yesterday, linked in discord, but apparently didn't link here:

https://streamable.com/72f5

I can only think the battleships are yelling, "get down, Mr. President!"