Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Also do anything you can to avoid explosives hitting your unshielded hull. They'll damage a lot of modules at once.

Toss on a point defence if your ship is a slug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I just finished my first long distance expedition passenger mission and it wasn't too bad.

Gende to Csi+47-21046. A bit over 6000 light years away and probably about 170 jumps there and 190 back.
Payout was 18 million for the mission and it bumped my explorer rank from Pathfinder(52%) to Ranger(25%).

5 million in exploration data and tons of first discovered by credits.
Most of the was honking and scanning the primary star and then leaving.

I started Sunday night and ended it this morning. Probably about 9 hours or so of playing.

If I had it to do over again, I would have thought to turn my exploration data in before I cashed in on the mission to see if it boosted my rank higher.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Mu77ley posted:

It's not Alastair Reynolds, but this is actually very good: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/El...ite+reclamation

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out. Didn't Drew Wagar write some decent Oolite / Frontier Elite II fan novels back in the day?

Personally, I enjoyed Docking is Difficult by Gideon Dafoe. I know it wasn't the most popular Elite Dangerous novel, but it hit my sense of humour in a way few other books do. Especially the bit where the protagonists are playing the original Elite on a BBC Microcomputer they were hired to smuggle

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Bargearse posted:

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check that out. Didn't Drew Wagar write some decent Oolite / Frontier Elite II fan novels back in the day?

Yes. He's also written the first couple of books in the Shadeward series which I enjoyed a lot. They are an interesting mix of fantasy and sci-fi:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Emanation-Shadeward-Mr-Drew-Wagar/dp/1909163864/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Exoneration-Shadeward-Book-Drew-Wagar-ebook/dp/B01LT2KTOO/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1484832518&sr=1-2

He's also working on a follow-up to his Elite Dangerous novel at the moment.

Bargearse posted:

Personally, I enjoyed Docking is Difficult by Gideon Dafoe. I know it wasn't the most popular Elite Dangerous novel, but it hit my sense of humour in a way few other books do. Especially the bit where the protagonists are playing the original Elite on a BBC Microcomputer they were hired to smuggle

Wasn't a huge fan of that one. It fell kinda flat as a comedy for me.

Wanted was very good I thought: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elite-Dangerous-Wanted-ebook/dp/B00JDJIXBC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1484832685&sr=1-1&keywords=elite+wanted

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Gothsheep posted:

Okay, I am really starting to get tired of dying because my thrusters get taken out when I'm at 30-40% health, and then just sitting there helplessly as enemies I could have easily killed or evaded slowly pick me to death. Is there any way to stop this? I have died to this 4 times in a row, and it is really starting to frustrate me.

If you're getting down to 30-40% hull health, you're staying in the fight too long. Unless you have heavily reinforced hull strength, it's advisable to gtfo once the shields are down.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Krycek posted:

If you're getting down to 30-40% hull health, you're staying in the fight too long. Unless you have heavily reinforced hull strength, it's advisable to gtfo once the shields are down.
Supposedly less so these days (if the new module armour things do their job) but acting as if your shields are your "health bar" and fleeing before they drop is pretty solid advice for anyone still learning the ropes.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

Okay, I am really starting to get tired of dying because my thrusters get taken out when I'm at 30-40% health, and then just sitting there helplessly as enemies I could have easily killed or evaded slowly pick me to death. Is there any way to stop this? I have died to this 4 times in a row, and it is really starting to frustrate me.

Consider picking up Module Reinforcement Packs, those give your sybsystems some 'ablative health' before they go down. Are your thrusters D-grade, by any chance? Those are extremely lightweight but also exceedingly fragile. If so, consider upgrading to C- or B-grade - C is 'regular' toughness and a lovely compromise between price and effectiveness, while B-grade equipment is considerably more heavy but has oodles more health.

What kind of a ship are you flying, exactly? A Coriolis link would be helpful.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Turmoil posted:

I just finished my first long distance expedition passenger mission and it wasn't too bad.

Gende to Csi+47-21046. A bit over 6000 light years away and probably about 170 jumps there and 190 back.
Payout was 18 million for the mission and it bumped my explorer rank from Pathfinder(52%) to Ranger(25%).

5 million in exploration data and tons of first discovered by credits.
Most of the was honking and scanning the primary star and then leaving.

I started Sunday night and ended it this morning. Probably about 9 hours or so of playing.

If I had it to do over again, I would have thought to turn my exploration data in before I cashed in on the mission to see if it boosted my rank higher.

if I may ask a few questions:

what ship?
what size fuel scoop?
what passenger modules did you equip?
jump range?

I was looking into doing the passenger vessel stuff while I am still saving up spacebuxx. I'm getting close to my first 10mil from doing spacetrucking and have a pimped out eagle for when the next exploit comes out but I'm thinking about what to do until then other than just trucking around in my type-6

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

coupedeville posted:

if I may ask a few questions:

what ship?
what size fuel scoop?
what passenger modules did you equip?
jump range?

I was looking into doing the passenger vessel stuff while I am still saving up spacebuxx. I'm getting close to my first 10mil from doing spacetrucking and have a pimped out eagle for when the next exploit comes out but I'm thinking about what to do until then other than just trucking around in my type-6

Asp Explorer
3A Fuel Scoop
5C First Class
Jump range at the time was an average of 36-40.

I lightened the load with this: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=A0g0,,Cjw0,9p30A720AMg0AdsGp50wvM6tky8qpDGxReOgf-AsO0B4S0BNC0Bcg0,,BeE01c207Pc04zM02jw02UI00nE0
And my range now is 39.58LY (49.30LY). I like the 96 fuel capacity since I can go at least 15 jumps before I even start to think about refueling in the next few jumps after that.
It does take about 7-8 minutes when I finally do decide to refuel.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Turmoil posted:

Asp Explorer
3A Fuel Scoop
5C First Class
Jump range at the time was an average of 36-40.

I lightened the load with this: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=A0g0,,Cjw0,9p30A720AMg0AdsGp50wvM6tky8qpDGxReOgf-AsO0B4S0BNC0Bcg0,,BeE01c207Pc04zM02jw02UI00nE0
And my range now is 39.58LY (49.30LY). I like the 96 fuel capacity since I can go at least 15 jumps before I even start to think about refueling in the next few jumps after that.
It does take about 7-8 minutes when I finally do decide to refuel.

thanks for the answers goonbro I assume you got an A-rated FSD to get those kinds of jump ranges, correct? (edit: just peeked at the build log you posted and I take it the heat sink launcher is to help with fuel scooping without overheating/damaging components?) sry for all the newbie questions

i have enough for an aspEx but not enough for upgrades and all that so I'll have to do some more spacetrucking before i start booking flights

coupedeville fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 19, 2017

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

coupedeville posted:

thanks for the answers goonbro I assume you got an A-rated FSD to get those kinds of jump ranges, correct? (edit: just peeked at the build log you posted and I take it the heat sink launcher is to help with fuel scooping without overheating/damaging components?) sry for all the newbie questions

i have enough for an aspEx but not enough for upgrades and all that so I'll have to do some more spacetrucking before i start booking flights

A rated FSD and level 5 engineered. A standard jump drive with that config would give me about 27 LY or so versus the 39 I'm getting.

The heat sink is more for if I mess up and end up having an emergency drop from being too close to a stellar object.
Mostly I use it for sneaking into a station. I'll fly about 10K out from the mail slot and head in and request docking as soon as I'm less than 7.5K. I'm usually going full bore and drop the heat sink and will slide right in. As soon as I'm in I hit my button bound for kill throttle and let the autopilot take it the rest of the way.

I only do that when I'm carrying passengers that don't like to be scanned.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

so if I want to start doing the FSD engineer grind which one do I start on? I saw the lady in the menu who unlocks when you go 300ly from your starting point but then there's the other FSD lady which is like farseer something? does it matter which one I focus on first?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
One has better other things they can engineer but I can't remember which (I think it's Elvira aka. the 300ly one). Flying to Sothis used to be enough for the >300ly unlock but no one goes there anymore. You can still fly towards it (Elvira is sort of on the way), honk every system you jump into with the discovery scanner for 1.5m credits, and sell your exploration data at the engineer once you unlocked her (might need to launch and land again, or at least log out and back in to unlock the base service for it), that should get you to rank 2 upgrades or even rank 3.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Farseer is the only one with rank 5 upgrades. So if you want to max your jump range as soon as possible, do her first.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Krycek posted:

Farseer is the only one with rank 5 upgrades. So if you want to max your jump range as soon as possible, do her first.

Elvira Martuuk does rank 5 FSDs, and introduces you to much better people.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Angrymog posted:

Elvira Martuuk does rank 5 FSDs, and introduces you to much better people.

This. I dropped a bunch of exploration data on her and got multiple invites from people including Marco Qwent.

coupedeville posted:

Heading out to VY Canis Majoris from home and the first leg of my trip to Synuefe EN-Q d6-38.
This is from a full tank(96t) at the start and using about ~40t for 15 jumps.

And then this is my jump range when boosted by a neutron star.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Well I think I figured out that stuff with EDD and EDSN that I've been bitching about nonstop for the last couple days.

Apparently for the specific stuff I'm trying to do, EDD needs more than just a system's coordinates, it needs EDSN's version of those coordinates to be corroborated by several independent trilaterilizations; i.e., a huge part of EDSN's whole mission. It's all very complicated and interesting and apparently this is my new hobby in Elite.

I am now spending my evenings doing actual scientific surveying measurements in a universe that doesn't actually exist. My mother would be so very proud.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Turmoil posted:

This. I dropped a bunch of exploration data on her and got multiple invites from people including Marco Qwent.

Heading out to VY Canis Majoris from home and the first leg of my trip to Synuefe EN-Q d6-38.
This is from a full tank(96t) at the start and using about ~40t for 15 jumps.

And then this is my jump range when boosted by a neutron star.

man I'm still such a beginner I thought I was hot poo poo getting almost 20ly in my type 6 :(

so what's the lowdown on jumping off neutron stars? do you have to have engineered parts or is there a special technique?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

coupedeville posted:

so what's the lowdown on jumping off neutron stars? do you have to have engineered parts or is there a special technique?

"Try not to die" is the main technique, no special equipment required

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Jump in to neutron system, fly into one of the cones that stream off of it in supercruise with your rear facing the star and wait until you get a message that your fsd is charged. It'll damage the fsd slightly as well.

E: don't drop out of supercruise in the jet stream it will wreck your poo poo hard

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Trustworthy posted:

"Try not to die" is the main technique, no special equipment required
What you really do want is an AFMU to keep your FSD fixed after every few jumps since if it fails while you are in the jet at best you will get out with your ship half-wrecked.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you're going to go exploring, you should crash your rear end into some stars and neutron stars BEFORE you go anywhere, so you can learn to not panic and easily escape.

The T6 is actually an entirely competent exploration ship, because it has decent jump range and enough internals to actually fit all the important stuff. You just have to decide what you want to do, whether it's running passenger missions for money or fitting all the exploration goodies to go actually explore.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Ah, I forget about AFMUs. Do they still not repair power plants? Like, if you're out there long enough, playing rough with neutron stars, wouldn't you eventually get to the point where you're constantly rebooting to bring your power plant back online with a few percent health, while everything else is in relatively good condition thanks to your AFMU (and your other AFMU to repair the first one)?

edit: Or does a 0% power plant just mean you're dead? Sorry, I don't play very rough with my exploration ships, and have never been out in the black for long enough to find out about the perils of extreme wear-and-tear.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 19, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Trustworthy posted:

Ah, I forget about AFMUs. Do they still not repair power plants? Like, if you're out there long enough, playing rough with neutron stars, wouldn't you eventually get to the point where you're constantly rebooting to bring your power plant back online with a few percent health, while everything else is in relatively good condition thanks to your AFMU (and your other AFMU to repair the first one)?

The neutron boosting only damages your frameshift drive unless you screw up royally (eg. the aforementioned dropping out of supercruise, or getting so disorientated you fly into the star rather than away from it), so there's no need to worry about the power plant.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So how does one do a settlement skimmer assault? I chose to do a mission with 6 targets in a low security settlement with ++. I went down to the settlement and it was relatively large with an eagle a viper and an anaconda guiding it...

Also what's with all these factions. I understand there are three major factions (alliance, federation and empire) then multiple local factions, powerlplay factions. Each with their own ranks and relations? Can't really keep track of them.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I dropped into a white dwarf system and tried to charge my FSD in an imperial courier and man you get thrown the gently caress around. Didn't even get charged because I had my fuel scoop disabled. Too nervous to try it again :ohdear:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Tippis posted:

The neutron boosting only damages your frameshift drive unless you screw up royally (eg. the aforementioned dropping out of supercruise, or getting so disorientated you fly into the star rather than away from it), so there's no need to worry about the power plant.

Ahhh, well that's good to know. After I drop off these literal tons of Rick Steves Fucks the Galaxy books at Jacques, I'll swap in an AMFU before I head further out into the void.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I dropped into a white dwarf system and tried to charge my FSD in an imperial courier and man you get thrown the gently caress around. Didn't even get charged because I had my fuel scoop disabled. Too nervous to try it again :ohdear:

Don't need the fuelscoop iirc?

Anyway, White dwarfs are far more dangerous than Neutron stars because the cones are shorter. Ship mass matters too - small ships get thrown all over the place, whilst the heavy boats just wobble a bit.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Hm I guess I didn't stay in long enough. I googled afterwards and people were saying that it doesn't supercharge if you have it disabled but that was probably a months old bug.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I've found if you head three quarters of the way down towards the end of the ejection stream and just ease into it slowly at low speeds you'll get chucked around a lot less (and it'll be easier to get out after it's charged since you're near the edge). You need to stay in the stream so that it's moving your ship around for around 5 seconds before it supercharges your FSD. If you drift back out of the stream (or get to the end of it) before it supercharges it seems to reset the timer and you need to sit for the full 5 seconds again.

As an example, I was able to drop straight into the stream below where my ship is (facing the other way from this shot) and charge the FSD and then gun it sideways out of the stream afterwards:

That said, a couple of days ago I was chatting on discord and not really paying attention and entered a stream perpendicular at 15Mm/s and nearly ended up back in the star's exclusion zone while charging the drive :downs:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I'll keep that in mind! Right now I'm just starting on the modular terminal grind and hoo boy I can tell this one is going to be a real doozy.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Trustworthy posted:

Ahhh, well that's good to know. After I drop off these literal tons of Rick Steves Fucks the Galaxy books at Jacques, I'll swap in an AMFU before I head further out into the void.

There is something to be said for having two AFMUs these days, but if you only take one just be sure to disable it when not in use to save it from damage!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I'll keep that in mind! Right now I'm just starting on the modular terminal grind and hoo boy I can tell this one is going to be a real doozy.

Yeah, it'll suck. Just keep at it. Maybe try to grind out some faction rank or help with the DF war so your time doesn't feel wasted when you can't find any.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

coupedeville posted:

man I'm still such a beginner I thought I was hot poo poo getting almost 20ly in my type 6 :(

Just do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Gg_F7MXQw

And you should be OK! I'm like the most cautious guy ever, so if you follow that little guide, nothing should go wrong!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, it'll suck. Just keep at it. Maybe try to grind out some faction rank or help with the DF war so your time doesn't feel wasted when you can't find any.

I've managed to get one mission in a high tech boom system so that's 4 down and 21 to go. Pretty sure I just got super lucky because I got it pretty much as soon as I got here now I've been refreshing for ages with nada.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

There is something to be said for having two AFMUs these days, but if you only take one just be sure to disable it when not in use to save it from damage!

Holy loving poo poo DO DISABLED MODULES NOT GET DAMAGED?! :wth:

And if so, does this apply to everything that can be enabled/disabled?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Trustworthy posted:

Holy loving poo poo DO DISABLED MODULES NOT GET DAMAGED?! :wth:

And if so, does this apply to everything that can be enabled/disabled?

I think they still take damage from weapons, but if they are disabled they shouldn't take heat damage, which is the most likely danger for explorers anyways...

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
A 7 day CG that lasted 7 hours, thanks :frontear:.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

The aliens may be moving towards Sol. This could be interesting.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Also if you're going to Jaques remember they built several refueling stations along the way, so if you run out of afmu ammo and don't have the mats for a refill you can stock up at one of them and repair your ship as well. Saved me from having to slow boat the last 9k back to the bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I think they still take damage from weapons, but if they are disabled they shouldn't take heat damage, which is the most likely danger for explorers anyways...

My greatest danger is inattention and crashing into stars, often while browsing my music.

• Locked thread