Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I agree it's fine at a tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Broken Loose posted:

I did, actually. Well, before I was a professional fighting game player/commentator, I was a professional illustrator/painter/designer, so I'm not allowed to enjoy doing anything art-related, right?

Does that matter, though? Is that a thing? Am I having fun wrong if I'm not good at painting?

oh that's good

i was worried that you were one of those people who gets bored with video games and decides to try and bully the nerds down at the FLGS after throwing money at some prepainted figures

still not making a great argument about being anything other than an insufferable person to play games with, but i'm glad that this doesn't seem to have negatively impacted your important esports career - tho i admit that i'm not really the best judge of these things since i don't play games professionally

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i would respond with immense pity for you, a person who appears to only have fun when they're winning and seems to miss most of the point of hobby gaming

Guess what? The vast majority of people play this way. Good games accept the truth that people are shitlords and minimize the inherent douche so their games sell for longer times because they understand most people want to win and if there is an easy mode they are gonna take it and love it, provided the other side can't of course. ( This naturally leads to most people leaving the game. Most games die out shortly after the ULTIMATE STRATEGY is discovered. Because the game is then poo poo or a dice fest once everyone left plays the exact same lovely way which is normally unfun. )

What I'm saying is Jervis J is an out of touch numpty who has no goddamned clue how most people play games.

Apparently you don't either. ( Or you are just the luckiest sob with the best group of players ever so you don't know what reality is.)

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 19, 2016

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Can we all agree that you don't have to be "hobby-challenged" to be a player that tries to win games?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think we can all agree

Instead,

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/new/product/mantic-fantasy-taster.html
http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/new/product/mantic-sci-fi-taster.html
http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/new/deadzone/product/enforcer-jetbikes.html
http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/new/deadzone/product/iron-ancestor-arsaidh.html
http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/new/deadzone.html

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 19, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I mean, what BL apparently means is "A game that is trivially broken by someone actually attempting to win instead of periodically throwing contests in some spirit of imaginary fairness is a Bad Game". He's just phrasing it like a GW fanboy's platonic ideal of a WAAC to apparently keep this argument going for god knows what reason since we already know GW is bad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where's the others riding a shoe, an iron and a scottie dog?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If the game is just painting minis why are you buying so many duplicates?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
No one plays games to have fun you idiot pleb scrub. Games are about winning and if you can't handle not being a winner and have to be physically violent in response (this happens to me a lot as I win everything ALL THE TIME) then maybe you should back it the gently caress up and go back to mommy before playing so called games with me.I don't play games to have fun or interact with other human beings, I play them to prove my intellectual and martial superiority over the waste of skin the other side of the table. Get on my level.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

I think we can all agree

Those Mantic Salamanders are gorgeous when they're finished but they are a massive pain in the rear end to get together.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

Those Mantic Salamanders are gorgeous when they're finished but they are a massive pain in the rear end to get together.

:stwoon:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Captain Rufus posted:

( Or you are just the luckiest sob with the best group of players ever so you don't know what reality is.)

It's not luck, it's effort. Find people who play the way you want to play, play with them. Have a good time playing a bad game then ditch the bad game and have a way better time playing a good game with people who play the way you want to play.

apparently this is impossible?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

spectralent posted:

I mean, what BL apparently means is "A game that is trivially broken by someone actually attempting to win instead of periodically throwing contests in some spirit of imaginary fairness is a Bad Game". He's just phrasing it like a GW fanboy's platonic ideal of a WAAC to apparently keep this argument going for god knows what reason since we already know GW is bad.

Nah, he's just been playing fighting games too long, where being an enormous over-aggressive cocksleeve is not only allowable but the social expectation of players.

All I've really learned in this whole bullshittery is that he's one of those people that would play their way through the local crowd then move to another shop because nobody will deal with his bullshit in pursuit of a competitive game.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

lenoon posted:

It's not luck, it's effort. Find people who play the way you want to play, play with them. Have a good time playing a bad game then ditch the bad game and have a way better time playing a good game with people who play the way you want to play.

I've generally found people massively understate how hard changing people's interests in wargaming are. You get a lot of "Yeah, but I already know this game".

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, he's just been playing fighting games too long, where being an enormous over-aggressive cocksleeve is not only allowable but the social expectation of players.

Our uni's fighting game society was a really chill place; I've never actually encountered the UFC-smacktalk breed of fighting gamer in the real world. I assume it must be a regional thing.

I mean, I did encounter the one guy, but because he kept trying to go around with all his "cool smacktalk" he alienated literally everyone and stopped coming.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

TTerrible posted:

No one plays games to have fun you idiot pleb scrub. Games are about winning and if you can't handle not being a winner and have to be physically violent in response (this happens to me a lot as I win everything ALL THE TIME) then maybe you should back it the gently caress up and go back to mommy before playing so called games with me.I don't play games to have fun or interact with other human beings, I play them to prove my intellectual and martial superiority over the waste of skin the other side of the table. Get on my level.

Someone got lost on the way to the MtG thread.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Broken Loose posted:

In my decades of gaming, I've noticed an intense correlation with people who make the claim that I'm wrong for winning and people who get physically violent when things don't go their way. If I were to beat whathisface in a game, I'd be more worried about his behavior, because he isn't the type of person to believe that victory can be fairly earned.

Lmao

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Broken Loose posted:

In my decades of gaming, I've noticed an intense correlation with people who make the claim that I'm wrong for winning and people who get physically violent when things don't go their way. If I were to beat whathisface in a game, I'd be more worried about his behavior, because he isn't the type of person to believe that victory can be fairly earned.

this is some grade a fuckin bullshit

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

This is the worst thread sometimes but I'm sure it still beats the 40k thread.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Saalkin posted:

This is the worst thread sometimes but I'm sure it still beats the 40k thread.

the goal is to stop the 40k thread from having any fun

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

the goal is to stop the 40k thread from having any fun

I'm sure they do that themselves without any help.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Whole lotta narrative forgers itt

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

field balm posted:

Whole lotta narrative forgers itt

Ahaha.

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

I'd like to point out that the whole bit about cutting brake lines was said by SJ erecting a straw man from which he could defend BL. No one said anything about assaulting another player, breaking their minis/sweet customer controllers/etc, or sabotaging their vehicles until he brought it up. I made sure to clearly point out that outside a tournament setting (ie a casual/friendly/pickup game), taking a combo or list that is intentionally unbeatable by the other person with the attitude and intent to make your opponent have the worst (in-game) time possible by not allowing them to play the game at all is a bad thing to do to the other person who is playing the game with you.

While games that have sloppily written rules to allow this type of thing to happen are bad, playing a bad game is not a moral failing. The people who would play a bad game do not, by dint of that alone, do not deserve to be punished for that.

Disclaimer: I have not played a GW game, nor given them money, for years. Everyone should follow this example.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I mean, I'm also being charitable here because I'd say if you're playing a game and everything is fine except one combo you would "stop playing that game" by saying "Okay we won't take the broken turbodeath combo as a houserule, let's have a game".

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

spectralent posted:

I mean, I'm also being charitable here because I'd say if you're playing a game and everything is fine except one combo you would "stop playing that game" by saying "Okay we won't take the broken turbodeath combo as a houserule, let's have a game".

Yeah, it's really sad that sportsmanship has to be debated, especially in a casual context where literally nothing is at stake. GW's legacy to the nerd world.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

This zoanthrope owns.

It's an ownthrope.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I have learned from this thread that go, chess, golf, bowling, basketball and other sports are all bullshit because their delusional players sometimes use handicaps to try to make the competition between unequal players more fun. They need to scream more about how the game is broken and the other players just need to buy 10,000 dollar carbon fiber clubs if they have a problem with losing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Less bitching, more lizards.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Broken Loose posted:

Oh? What would you do if you were actually playing a game against me? How would you respond if I sat down with you in Street Fighter and threw fireballs at you over and over again despite how cheap you claim it to be?
I would Dhalsim-slide under that poo poo and kick you in the shins, double-head-butt you in the tiny fraction of time getting kicked had you stunned, then grab you by the head and throw you to the ground. Then I'd levitate all :smug: like as the game said "Dhalsim WINS!!!"

'Cause I was a fuckin' PRO at Street Fighter. :colbert:

But that's because for all its weirdness, SF was actually a pretty balanced game, and relying on any one strategy (regardless of how easy it might be to pull off and therefore how "cheap" it might be viewed) was a short ticket to getting your rear end kicked by someone who had a more complete grasp of the game's possible mechanics.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

Once more, :stwoon:

I need lizards in my life.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Desiden posted:

I have learned from this thread that go, chess, golf, bowling, basketball and other sports are all bullshit because their delusional players sometimes use handicaps to try to make the competition between unequal players more fun. They need to scream more about how the game is broken and the other players just need to buy 10,000 dollar carbon fiber clubs if they have a problem with losing.

Chess is a bad game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lool both of you sound absolutely insufferable to play any sort of game with

People who don't bitch about losing are the best people to play with actually

tweekinator posted:

I'd like to point out that the whole bit about cutting brake lines was said by SJ erecting a straw man from which he could defend BL. No one said anything about assaulting another player, breaking their minis/sweet customer controllers/etc, or sabotaging their vehicles until he brought it up. I made sure to clearly point out that outside a tournament setting (ie a casual/friendly/pickup game), taking a combo or list that is intentionally unbeatable by the other person with the attitude and intent to make your opponent have the worst (in-game) time possible by not allowing them to play the game at all is a bad thing to do to the other person who is playing the game with you.

While games that have sloppily written rules to allow this type of thing to happen are bad, playing a bad game is not a moral failing. The people who would play a bad game do not, by dint of that alone, do not deserve to be punished for that.

Disclaimer: I have not played a GW game, nor given them money, for years. Everyone should follow this example.

I made a hyperbolic statement to prove a point and you edited your post to have it include the non tournament whatever after the fact

E: the only violence I've ever seen is seeing people get so salty about dice rolls that they've thrown models across the room. It was pretty hilarious

S.J. fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 19, 2016

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This thread is good again.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

spectralent posted:

Once more, :stwoon:

I need lizards in my life.

Lizards on lizards improve everything. Please post more lizards.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Holy poo poo this color scheme is amazing. Damnit, GW

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ashcans posted:

Lizards on lizards improve everything. Please post more lizards.

Lizards on lizards you say?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Not a viking posted:

Can we all agree that you don't have to be "hobby-challenged" to be a player that tries to win games?
I find it's more satisfying to win with a hobby-enhanced gaming piece. Beating someone with some sick paintjobs in x-wing is definitely more enjoyable. :mrgw:

Panzeh posted:

If the game is just painting minis why are you buying so many duplicates?
So you can paint them in different styles. This is seriously the reason why I might be getting another lambda shuttle; I want to slap giant anime stickers on it.

lenoon posted:

For a lot of people, it is. They have this mental block that if you're playing "just to have fun with friends," it is considered extremely offensive and outright impossible to suggest doing that with a better game instead. I don't get it either, but it is a real thing. It's really weird since, because this is a get-together, you can easily suggest eating better food or better drinks for a better experience, but I have had people literally think that suggesting a better game as part of that better experience is taboo. :psyduck:

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

S.J. posted:

I made a hyperbolic statement to prove a point and you edited your post to have it include the non tournament whatever after the fact

I don't believe I edited in non-tournament after any point, but any edits I've made, I've made for clarity. EDIT: I went back and looked, and I did edit in a reply you had made while I was typing up that post clarifying my position that the discussed behavior is/should be unnacceptable in non-tourney games. There's no edit shennanians that statement implies. End Edit I started expressly stating non-tournament games because despite tournament games being the minority of games played, apparently people assumed they were the defaut situation. Sorry for any confusion.

Do you agree or disagree with my clearly expressed point made in the post that you just quoted?

EDIT:

Chill la Chill posted:

For a lot of people, it is. They have this mental block that if you're playing "just to have fun with friends," it is considered extremely offensive and outright impossible to suggest doing that with a better game instead. I don't get it either, but it is a real thing. It's really weird since, because this is a get-together, you can easily suggest eating better food or better drinks for a better experience, but I have had people literally think that suggesting a better game as part of that better experience is taboo. :psyduck:

Yep, I've suggested not playing bad games with friends, and it tends to work, especially if someone isn't having fun when playing.

Cotton Candidasis fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 19, 2016

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

So you can paint them in different styles. This is seriously the reason why I might be getting another lambda shuttle; I want to slap giant anime stickers on it.

Mods?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sheev built the death star to house his giant weeb collection. He was very disappointed when it was destroyed.

• Locked thread