Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
It looks like Long War Studios just released a giant pack of new enemies, including the return of Drones and Sectoid Commanders, more Muton variants, and a Chryssalid Hive Queen. Other than the new ADVENT soldiers using the XCOM grenade launcher and cannon models, they all look absolutely fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh heck. I like the idea of an uptick in monster variety and difficulty, but LW has a reputation for being crazy hard, so I' may wait until I start a new game to try that out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Backhand posted:

To be fair, it was hilarious listening to Vahlen's audio log in the Nest which basically just goes " :stonk: Holy poo poo, without sane people around to keep me in check I make REALLY AWFUL decisions!"

The first time I played Enemy Unknown I was fully expecting her to defect to the aliens' side at some point.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh no, the mod actually overwrites the Muton Centurion mod, this is going to make my current playthrough interesting.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
Honestly from looking at the source code and ini files, they seem...ok? (Which I mean makes sense; These are supposed to be modular, it would be kinda be complete bullshit if they made it so these required the Perk Pack to effectively fight)

Like if you've been using A Better Advent + some of the standalone enemy mods you're probably not going experience a significant change in gameplay.

If you haven't though, then yes prepare for a lot more :xcom: moments.

edit: Oh wait, LWS added drones in their pack.

hello darkness my old friend

edit2:

Actually on second thought I'll even go one step farther and say A Better Advent has the more interesting enemies that actually shake up what you do.

Like the new enemies definitely look cool, but they feel like a retread of Long War where it's just doing what the base game does on the tactical side but up to eleven, whereas ABA has a component of enemies that do non-vanilla things when spotted, when hurt, or even having non-standard mdoes of attacking in general, which makes for far more interesting experiences IMO.

Though that said, this is definitely a case where "¿Porque no los dos?" applies. :v:

Exposure fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 5, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is there a mod that lets you randomize outfits for people in the character pool? I got a whole bunch of goons in my pool from when the game launched, and I'm sorry guys, but some of you need a fresh look and I'd rather not have to dress you all myself.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RBA Starblade posted:

I still love that all of Tygan's research notes and audio clips regarding them can be summed up as "why".

Tygan's reaction to the Viper King is basically "Huh, well this has some interesting abilities. I can totally see why this got out of Vahlen's control. Who could expect cryo-powers?"

His reaction to the Muton Queen and Archon King are more "WHY, VAHLEN? JUST, WHY?"

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I prefer A Better Advent because I support the little guys. :cheers:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Speedball posted:

Clearly they're saving her for the Enemy Within version of XCOM 2 or something.

I expect by then she'll be some sort of hilarious mutant with one swollen red eye and a hunchbacked assistant. Possibly a cyborg claw for a right hand.

She'll show up in the X-COM 2/Civilization: Beyond Earth crossover expansion at the helm of an INTEGR Aquilon. An Aquilon is this thing:

The weird dude on the left is the standard foot soldier if you're going the route that has you building Aquilons.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Dogen posted:

The ending of that is kind of unsatisfying, where they're like "well she's still out there somewhere!" I was kind of hoping they would find her being slowly digested in he berserker queen as part of the autopsy.

Who do you think the Ethereals are warning you about not being ready for in the final mission.

Also: Running with the LW mods and Grimy's has become completely preposterous. Late-game, I can have my shinobi with a superior death's hand sword, a light frame SMG, Icarus armor, and a Speed PCS just press the reaper button and mash Fleche until everyone's high fiving back on the skyranger. Bumping up squad sizes just makes him angrier and hungrier for blood. Why the gently caress would Death's Hand even make it into a playtest? Why would you make something that makes Reaper MORE powerful as it goes on

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I wouldn't make the mistake of thinking ANY mods are balanced right now without having to do some effort yourself or having 'house rules'. You don't make 6-8 classes with 3 abilities a piece and genuinely playtest the lot of it for balance against campaigns that last 20-40 hours. There is literally not enough time in the day for that to be exhaustively playtested by a small group of testers/developers.

It's better to think of the Perk Pack more like a 'wouldn't it be cool' / here's how you do this (for modders)' pack.

edit: to be fair, on paper something that makes Reaper better is clearly abusable, but then, it fits the 'wouldn't it be cool' impetus. Balance is not the aim, and really seems like a pipe dream when everyone seems to focussing on interoperating nicely with other mods, therefore you can't really do anything too drastic to control balance.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 6, 2016

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

I was thinking about this yesterday, what I'd really love to see in a mod is some reason to take your better soldiers out of rotation. Maybe they can be stationed at radio beacons to increase income or increase the frequency of guerilla actions. Just something for my max-level and accidentally-OP dudes to do while I train up other recruits.

I'm hoping this is something added by EW2 and that there's a mechanic for "getting the team back together" for a big story mission, complete with manly handshake cutscenes :c00lbert:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Doomsayer posted:

I was thinking about this yesterday, what I'd really love to see in a mod is some reason to take your better soldiers out of rotation. Maybe they can be stationed at radio beacons to increase income or increase the frequency of guerilla actions. Just something for my max-level and accidentally-OP dudes to do while I train up other recruits.

I'm hoping this is something added by EW2 and that there's a mechanic for "getting the team back together" for a big story mission, complete with manly handshake cutscenes :c00lbert:

I just saw something like that today, but it works by negative enforcement: Your dudes get more "notoriety" the more they keep going into the field without a break, and the higher the notoriety, the more aware enemies are about how dangerous they are. I think the first increment just increases detection range during the stealth phase, but it goes all the way up to bringing in extra reinforcements because ADVENT's all "oh poo poo it's those guys!" I remember one comment on the workshop page saying he got over 40 kills from reinforcements in one mission from all the notoriety.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 6, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ahah, so then that thing with your party members appearing on billboards becomes more than cosmetic then. Someone with high Notoriety has a bigger detection radius. Which you could ignore if you're just gong to go in hot anyway, that way the game mechanic wouldn't be TOO obnoxious.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lotish posted:

I just saw something like that today, but it works by negative enforcement: Your dudes get more "notoriety" the more they keep going into the field without a break, and the higher the notoriety, the more aware enemies are about how dangerous they are. I think the first increment just increases detection range during the stealth phase, but it goes all the way up to bringing in extra reinforcements because ADVENT's all "oh poo poo it's those guys!" I remember one comment on the workshop page saying he got over 40 kills from reinforcements in one mission from all the notoriety.

That's actually a really cool concept if done well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It's by the same guy who did Squad Cohesion, incidentally. Here's the link. It even can be tweaked in game to set the thresholds for different notoriety tiers.

One way to get a lot of notoriety is to kill civilians. If you're in a bring-it-on kind of mood, you know what to do.

Peak notoriety essentially turns all pods active at once you are detected; looking again it doesn't seem that it calls in reinforcements ad nauseum by default, so the comment I mentioned might have had a weird interaction with something else.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 6, 2016

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Lotish posted:

It's by the same guy who did Squad Cohesion, incidentally. Here's the link. It even can be tweaked in game to set the thresholds for different notoriety tiers.

One way to get a lot of notoriety is to kill civilians. If you're in a bring-it-on kind of mood, you know what to do.

Peak notoriety essentially turns all pods active at once you are detected; looking again it doesn't seem that it calls in reinforcements ad nauseum by default, so the comment I mentioned might have had a weird interaction with something else.

Probably A Better Advent since that has enemies that'll try to call down reinforcements up to three times once activated.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Spiderfist Island posted:

It looks like Long War Studios just released a giant pack of new enemies, including the return of Drones and Sectoid Commanders, more Muton variants, and a Chryssalid Hive Queen. Other than the new ADVENT soldiers using the XCOM grenade launcher and cannon models, they all look absolutely fantastic.

Disappointing after A Better Advent. The only thing this brings to the table is new sectoid art, new muton art and the drone. If you wanted recolours with new abilities ABA has 3x as many with more interesting abilities.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Carecat posted:

Disappointing after A Better Advent. The only thing this brings to the table is new sectoid art, new muton art and the drone. If you wanted recolours with new abilities ABA has 3x as many with more interesting abilities.

If ABA isn't defunct I can see the mod dev incorporating the LW stuff. Plus I'm totally fine with having both active, because it makes every pod unique. Until I leave them the same burning pile of radioactive slag as I do every other pod anyway :black101:

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Locke Dunnegan posted:

If ABA isn't defunct I can see the mod dev incorporating the LW stuff. Plus I'm totally fine with having both active, because it makes every pod unique. Until I leave them the same burning pile of radioactive slag as I do every other pod anyway :black101:

His supplemental other-mod-enemy compatibility mod has already been updated to support the new enemies.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Does the Hive Queen operate on Ruler rules?

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

ZearothK posted:

Does the Hive Queen operate on Ruler rules?

It's a normal enemy, there's no mod-added rulers as far as I know.

(Honestly I might just take a whack at that just to provide a working example for the enemy mod makers)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Shame it isn't, I'd like to have another Ruler to face, dealing with them was the most interesting part of my third playthrough. Let us know when your ruler happens!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Exposure posted:

It's a normal enemy, there's no mod-added rulers as far as I know.

(Honestly I might just take a whack at that just to provide a working example for the enemy mod makers)

Please do, I would love to see ruler types of each race just to keep the entire game on your toes.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Annointed posted:

Please do, I would love to see ruler types of each race just to keep the entire game on your toes.

A stun lancer king? An 8 foot stun lancer with 100hp zapping soldiers each turn? I'm down for that.

Stasis really takes the fight out of the Archon King. He did his devastate so I hit him with stasis before it landed. The rockets didn't come down until the start of the enemy turn when stasis wore off. I had plenty of time to move my guys out of the way. I also had the Berserker Queen pop up near an objective while I was just a few tiles out of sight. She smashed 2 ADVENT pods over 7 turns then wandered into my overwatch. It was a nice change from getting my face punched in.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
This game is so much better than EW. I tried playing it for a bit at launch but it never really clicked; either there's been a lot of patching fixing things or I'm making smarter research picks but I'm keeping pace with the difficulty enough to enjoy that every enemy has its own little gimmick. Downed two terror missions so far so I'm thinking time to get wrecked by the blacksite and DLC.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I loved the hell out of the first game but I finally found some time to try finishing XCom2 and the internet is correct, the final mission is ridiculous and un-fun and after trying for several hours I no longer have any desire to finish the last mission. Great job, development team. The length and the difficulty spike and the number of enemies is idiotic.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Doobie Keebler posted:

A stun lancer king? An 8 foot stun lancer with 100hp zapping soldiers each turn? I'm down for that.

Gatekeeper King, a literal Death Star that encompasses half of the map.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Exposure posted:

If the Geoscape is running like a slideshow you almost certainly have mods that have conflicting overrides (or need to force refresh the .ini files in the USER/Documents/My Games/XCOM2/Config folder), use the Alternative Mod Launcher to figure out which ones are conflicting.

Couple of days late but thanks for the recommendation. I'm still playing on minimum settings but at least the geoscape is running smoother now.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

I loved the hell out of the first game but I finally found some time to try finishing XCom2 and the internet is correct, the final mission is ridiculous and un-fun and after trying for several hours I no longer have any desire to finish the last mission. Great job, development team. The length and the difficulty spike and the number of enemies is idiotic.

I haven't gotten here yet in XCOM 2 but isn't this basically the criticisms for the EW final mission?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

A Magical Lamp posted:

I haven't gotten here yet in XCOM 2 but isn't this basically the criticisms for the EW final mission?

Not at all. EW final mission is a victory lap, the final room in XCOM 2's final mission has endless spawns.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

A Magical Lamp posted:

The criticism I remember hearing about the final EW mission was the opposite - too few aliens, too easy, didn't give you the game-ending challenge you had been building your squad up for. ON the other hand I came to EW pretty late when the people still playing and talking about it were all really experienced, so I dunno how people reacted to it when it first came out.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

In EW, the final mission, Operation Avenger, was a cakewalk. It was lengthy, but not taxing. A well-formed strike team plus a psychic trumpcard could overcome every obstacle in piecemeal fashion.

XCOM 2's finale can be overwhelming, by contrast. With no time to regroup and re-organize, the battle can easily get out of hand.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

And then if one or more of the avatars bug out and teleport where you can't find them or reach them, you could spend three hours just trying to track them down and dealing with the endless spawns the entire time, like I did.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
Yeah I meant more in terms of length than difficulty. I definitely remember thinking Avenger went on way longer than it should have. But I shouldn't be talking about the final mission in XCOM 2 when I'm only a third through the game.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

I liked the final mission and didn't have any problems :shrug:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So how am I supposed to repair a SPARK? Because I'm pretty sure a bug or one of my mods is interfering at this point. I have no option to "staff" the bot in "Engineering," which is what the internet tells me I'm supposed to do.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

The final mission of XCOM 2 is such a change of pace compared to regular missions. It's a marathon. I still like it way better that the final mission of the first game. Unless I was going for an achievement I rarely felt the need to do it once I got to that point after the first few times. This time around I do just because its such a challenge.

Lotish posted:

So how am I supposed to repair a SPARK? Because I'm pretty sure a bug or one of my mods is interfering at this point. I have no option to "staff" the bot in "Engineering," which is what the internet tells me I'm supposed to do.

Took me 2 games to find it. When you're at the base ant farm screen there should be a purple icon under the engineering room like you'd find for the AWS soldier slot. I couldn't find it anywhere else.

Doobie Keebler fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 7, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It's automatic at default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think the last mission is challenging for some people because it really punishes classes with limited resources (Grenadiers, Specialists) in a way the rest of the game doesn't. If you're the type to blitz through and alpha strike, which is a perfectly valid playstyle the rest of the game, and went all in on limited abilities you can be pretty screwed by the final mission since its such a marathon.

If you instead built your dudes for passives and cooldown actives (Gunner Grenadier or Medic Specialist for instance) its really not much different than the rest of the game.

Its why I'm really in favor of redoing some of the systems, especially in combination with the timers in most missions. Having everything be cooldown-based would help balance things out immensely and would curb things like the ridiculous alpha strikes you can pull off now.

Like, let's say heavy weapons had a 10 turn cooldown. In any given normal mission you're still only using them once, but on grueling marathons you could use them more often instead of it being a waste. Ditto Grenades (Grenadiers could get changed perks to lower their cooldown) etc. I feel it also synergizes a lot with mission timers which helps prevent the degenerate 'creep around after every pod until all abilites are off cooldown' that lategame EW could turn into.

As it is, Psi is already better and works on this system. And they could be balanced more by increasing their cooldowns as well.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 7, 2016