Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Al! posted:

i wonder what john carmack things about the new wolfenstein given hes a stemlord prepper alt lite type

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/202754990945742850

Wait he is? :popeye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

whos the seinfeld producer?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lawman 0 posted:

Wait he is? :popeye:

yeah him and palmer lucky connected over more than just vr

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
John carmak is alt right, wtf

Now i have another reason to not buy VR, other than the obvious 'its a dumb expensive gimmick '

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Uncle Wemus posted:

whos the seinfeld producer?

Bannon.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/904346518563508224

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

im given to understand TEOTWAWKI is prepper usenet lingo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

rudatron posted:

John carmak is alt right, wtf

Now i have another reason to not buy VR, other than the obvious 'its a dumb expensive gimmick '

idk about full alt right but he was pretty libertarian a couple years back and i wouldnt be surprised if he followed the rest

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You also see weird patterns when looking at these social groups. Of course the people who become "hubs" are seeking out people with like-minded views; but other times you'll see little clusters of friends that all seemed to radicalize together but only connect to the regional hub. Or there's a husband-and-wife couple that is full Nazi but is pretty socially isolated like a pair of asteroids way out on the edge of the system.

Then you run into stuff like this:

:psyduck:

--

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/916052807710658561
I wouldn't be surprised if they did it. The extreme right hates Milo now. But I'm not sure this excuse is gonna fly when you had spent all that time and effort traveling to Dallas to party with 20 Nazis.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 04:23 on Oct 6, 2017

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
We really need to send everybody in Silicon Valley to Empathy and Humanity reeducation gulags to beat the god complex libertarian out of them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

idk about full alt right but he was pretty libertarian a couple years back and i wouldnt be surprised if he followed the rest
He's an autist if nothing else. There's a story in Masters of Doom about him deciding to take his cat off to an animal shelter after she peed on the carpet or something, anf because of some bullshit about how she was no longer a positive in his life. Then he couldn't understand why everyone was mad at him.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bushiz posted:

has the world always been this weird? Is The Zone something we, like, just noticed we had always been in or are things actively getting weirder.

All these broken shitheads can find one another much more easily. Milo wouldn't have flown in the 80s, even if he were straight, because he wouldn't have had an audience. The Mercers have enough money that taking a chance on the next big conservative wunderkind is pocket change.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

He's an autist if nothing else. There's a story in Masters of Doom about him deciding to take his cat off to an animal shelter after she peed on the carpet or something, anf because of some bullshit about how she was no longer a positive in his life. Then he couldn't understand why everyone was mad at him.

the funny thing is that he's one of the less broken people in that book

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

We really need to send everybody in Silicon Valley to Empathy and Humanity reeducation gulags to beat the god complex libertarian out of them.
I wouldn't worry about that, tech is not going to be in a good place fairly soon

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

the funny thing is that he's one of the less broken people in that book
Not really. Romero comes across as a lovable idiot next to Carmack the Cat Murderer. Now Jacked, also by Kushner and about Rockstar and GTA, that's a book with few sympathetic characters.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

quote:

The newcomers brought in by Gionet weren’t much better behaved. Yiannopoulos had to boot one prospective member of his “tour squad” for posting cocaine use on Snapchat.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

why are so many replies to olivia nuzzi’s recent tweets about her being conmected to milo? Is she another journo caught in this circle of freaks or is it nothing?

https://twitter.com/olivianuzzi/status/916124053966065665

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Montasque posted:

True fascism is way too much work, and Europe is actually way more racist than America could ever hope to be.

I hope that answers your questions.

Yeah, living abroad I realized that America, for all of its racism, shockingly, has a pretty advanced dialogue around race in comparison to other countries.

We're among the least worst, which honestly should scare folks since it means the racists outnumber the nonracists by a large margin.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

why are so many replies to olivia nuzzi’s recent tweets about her being conmected to milo? Is she another journo caught in this circle of freaks or is it nothing?

https://twitter.com/olivianuzzi/status/916124053966065665

aha

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/916109128312999936
https://twitter.com/josh_sey/status/916114000710111233

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

You also see weird patterns when looking at these social groups. Of course the people who become "hubs" are seeking out people with like-minded views; but other times you'll see little clusters of friends that all seemed to radicalize together but only connect to the regional hub. Or there's a husband-and-wife couple that is full Nazi but is pretty socially isolated like a pair of asteroids way out on the edge of the system.

Then you run into stuff like this:

:psyduck:

--

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/916052807710658561
I wouldn't be surprised if they did it. The extreme right hates Milo now. But I'm not sure this excuse is gonna fly when you had spent all that time and effort traveling to Dallas to party with 20 Nazis.

I don't think Milo is a Nazi, but he sure as poo poo did his best to forward their ideas and push them mainstream. He really is a dandy idiot who got played.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

What's Ashley Feinberg doing in Moscow tho

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

quote:

Yiannopoulos may have been exaggerating: He was asking his acquaintance the novelist Bret Easton Ellis for a signed copy of American Psycho as a gift for Saucier.

this article is loving hilarious

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

quote:

In a June 2016 email to an assistant, Yiannopoulos shared the password to his email, which began “LongKnives1290.” The Night of the Long Knives was the Nazi purge of the leadership of the SA. The purge famously included Ernst Röhm, the SA’s gay leader. 1290 is the year King Edward I expelled the Jews from England.

oh my God irony is dead and we have killed it

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Montasque posted:

I don't think Milo is a Nazi, but he sure as poo poo did his best to forward their ideas and push them mainstream. He really is a dandy idiot who got played.

No he's a nazi

He doesn't get to not be a nazi after all the nazi-like stuff he stumped for and advocates

pillsburysoldier has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Oct 6, 2017

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

pillsburysoldier posted:

No he's a nazi

he's an opportunist. saying he's a nazi would mean he'd have to hold an ideology beyond "what gets milo famous and wealthy?".

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Milo and Baked and Cerno and LoSo are victims of their own stupidity. They don't get played, they play themselves. Major key alert.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Dan Lyons posted:

I apologized earlier today directly to Amber Discko and Zoe Quinn, for those emails. I feel awful about them. I wish I could take them back.

https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/916120576825090048

Montasque posted:

His password was LongKnives1290.
He hoarded Hitler biographies.
He wore an Iron Cross.
He associates with Nazis.
After Leave won the Brexit vote, he posted a white supremacist stock image of a blonde haired child captioned with NICE TRY SOROS.
Etc.

It's a Nazi.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Milo is a Nazi, which is surprising because I am still for the idea that he barely has a coherent identity, let alone one that has a history.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Dreddout posted:

I really don't think the alt-right is gonna go away, because it's predicated on Capitalism pulling up the ladder on a group of people who until now have largely got everything they were promised by their society.

If anything, I think the alt-right gonna subsume the traditional right as time goes on. At which point the 'alt-right' will simply become 'the right' You can't really go back to being a conservative if you reject the traditions and mores of your society.

I also don't really get what you mean by "can't reconcile the past with the present" because that has really never mattered in politics. I don't believe the traditional right, (or liberals for that matter) really 'reconcile' the past with the present because at the end of the day, the past is white noise that you can choose to ignore or cling to at your discretion.

I was actually going to write a little more on this point, but I thought it was getting a little long. Basically, the relative purity of the political philosophy of the alt-right can't handle the reality of politics in a social democracy. By the past, I mean adopting political theories and moral philosophies from an earlier time, absent of any tangible policy. So the political ideas of Locke, Mills, and early liberalism, and Kantian and libertarian ethics. By comparison, the present is the Republican party. A shambling bloated corpse of political positions, compromises, and contradictions. This is due to a process of evolution out of necessity, in order to adapt to a changing political climate.

The alt-right is a political movement built on people who base their philosophy on wikipedia articles, and who buy into the myth of the American Dream and a simpler time that was more ideologically pure. It doesn't have any of the modern baggage of the Republican Party because none of that poo poo can be succinctly explained in a wiki article or argued on a forum. That is the disconnect the alt-right has with modern politics. The alt-right isn't going to become the right because it means throwing out large portions of what the right has built up over the last 150 years without a solid understanding of what replaces it.

I agree with the alt-right being a breakaway from Conservatism (the present), and that you can't go back. But what I differ on is how it will play out. I don't think the movement will ever be popular enough to be a whole cloth replacement for Conservatism. The Republican Party will evolve and appropriate the bits of the alt-right that are beneficial to them, and compatible with the Republican identity. It is a lot easier to convince a party to evolve and make broad strokes while maintaining the original identity, then it is to change identities. You can sell the Democrats on standing for Medicare for all, or a $15 minimum wage. You can't sell the Republicans becoming more like alt-right, or worse yet voting for a new party.

From what I can gather, they don't have ideas coherent enough to form a party platform. How do you translate philosophy into policy? 'Personal liberty must never be curtailed' or 'American society should transform into a white ethnostate' aren't things you can legislate without detail. They can probably agree on a few things like repealing Title IX, but it's the sort of stuff the Republican Party can appropriate without becoming alt-right. They can't get to the present without going through and making the same compromises and evolution as any other political party. A process that will in all likelihood fracture the movement.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

Milo is a Nazi, which is surprising because I am still for the idea that he barely has a coherent identity, let alone one that has a history.

He's a Nazi because it's edgy and dangerous and forbidden and taboo.

He'll stay with that image until he either figures out a different one he can morph into in an effort to squeeze a couple of bucks out of some suckers, or he gets stabbed in the back by those who aren't play Nazis who aren't putting up with his poo poo.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

C. Everett Koop posted:

He's a Nazi because it's edgy and dangerous and forbidden and taboo.

He'll stay with that image until he either figures out a different one he can morph into in an effort to squeeze a couple of bucks out of some suckers, or he gets stabbed in the back by those who aren't play Nazis who aren't putting up with his poo poo.

Once a nazi, always a nazi. He's done way too much to escape the title, no matter how ironic or opportunistic his fascism was.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Krystallnacht was actually done ironically by opportunists so we should excuse the people taking part

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Daniel Penny in January 2017:

quote:

Despite the fact that Anglin states that the alt-right repudiates gays, Milo’s use of his homosexuality nonetheless works along the lines of the trollish, mimetic logic that Anglin lays out. His alt-right fans flock to his events not in spite of his sometimes outrageous appearance, statements, and flaming sexuality, but rather because of them. Like the Emcee in Cabaret, performing his deviance to the delight of a Nazi audience, Milo’s carnivalesque presence within the sphere of the alt-right is exciting and transgressive, signaling the inversion of the established order. In another context, Milo’s personal identity could be cause for his audience to assault him, yet on the stage, making fun of the alt-right’s enemies, Milo’s contradictions are permitted and celebrated as “edgy.” Even the commenters on Breitbart seem to recognize the strategic benefits of Milo’s contradictory persona.

http://bostonreview.net/politics-gender-sexuality/daniel-penny-milosexual-and-aesthetics-fascism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBlB8RAJEEc

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 06:07 on Oct 6, 2017

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
That Buzzfeed article was incredible and kind of a mindfuck in conjunction with the "secret agent" article earlier. I really don't think anyone can argue that Milo is "just" a provocateur now - that is completely discredited. His whole job is to provide that plausible deniability - regardless of whether his personal motives are purely opportunistic or not. After all, there were plenty of opportunistic Nazis who went along with it to get rich and powerful (and they were shot like all the rest - except for the ones the West wanted to use to kill Communists anyway).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Some joined up because they really wanted to kill Jews, some joined up because they wanted to serve their country, some joined up because they looked good in grey, and if you're a Ukrainian peasant they're all that fucker that burned grandma alive

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ScrubLeague posted:

Milo and Baked and Cerno and LoSo are victims of their own stupidity. They don't get played, they play themselves. Major key alert.

cernovich is a whole nother level of stupid, milo is at least somewhat savvy

but yeah all of those dudes are lucky to have gotten anywhere. people like o'keefe and watters serve a larger purpose and will persist, these guys are just grifter morons that got lucky and there'll be another crop to replace them as soon as they lose their sheen.

it'll be real interesting to see where the right with grift machine goes after trump.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

That Buzzfeed article was incredible and kind of a mindfuck in conjunction with the "secret agent" article earlier. I really don't think anyone can argue that Milo is "just" a provocateur now - that is completely discredited. His whole job is to provide that plausible deniability - regardless of whether his personal motives are purely opportunistic or not. After all, there were plenty of opportunistic Nazis who went along with it to get rich and powerful (and they were shot like all the rest - except for the ones the West wanted to use to kill Communists anyway).

"Oh the gay Jew who's married to a black man is a Nazi, Buzzfeed? :smuggo: "

I've seen this a dozen times today. They love arguing in bad faith.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A hypocritical racist? Now I've seen everythint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Liking black dick has been a punchline of his speaking tours for a while now. Marrying a black man seems like the natural evolution of the Milo character. He knows full well the implication of the gesture.