Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

weg posted:

So did Putin smell dissent in the air and have Prigozhin do a false flag coup so he could round up any collaborators?

If so lol

one of the many theories being floated for events that seem to defy any rational explanation..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Tai posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_United_States_Air_Force_aircraft

jesus christ and tankies talk of USA's military power fading. Yea no

1400 F-35's on order :stare:

Thats only the Air Force. Not the Army, Navy, Marines, and National Guard units.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Starsfan posted:

one of the many theories being floated for events that seem to defy any rational explanation..

It makes more sense for them to be very tight and working closely together, with Prigozhin doing this rebellious act to see who goes along with him and report it back to Putin. You think he really gives as much of a poo poo about his men as he does the insane amount of money the Russian government is paying him? Probably not.

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK

weg posted:

So did Putin smell dissent in the air and have Prigozhin do a false flag coup so he could round up any collaborators?

If so lol

It'd be one of the first competent things Putin has done in a while

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

weg posted:

If so lol

I sincerely doubt Putin is capable of any kind od plotting and scheming anymore.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Starsfan posted:

“These guys are all loving stupid” is a rational explanation.

If you really believe ROSSIYA is a gas station run by mobsters everything we have seen thus far is perfectly rational because what differentiates mobsters is not that they are smart or strategic it is that they are willing to use violence when others are not.

Why start a coup and then just give up? You’re stupid and your stupid co-conspirators ditched you.

Why didn’t Putin just kill them all? Either he can’t or he’s stupid.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

weg posted:

If so lol

probably

prighozin is a major part of the russian propaganda/disinfo/psyop machine and has been for decades, he's been doing way more than running wagner & id assume subterfuge or misdirection over anything else any time he's involved at all

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

weg posted:

Putin didn't need an elaborate, weird false coup to do anything

He could've rounded up the collaborators, and did so previously without an issue, by firing or sidelining them

Like every time Putin shits his pants and the country shows signs of falling apart someone comes in with -- Ah the pants making GBS threads false flag to make himself even stronger... Genius...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think letting 6 helicopters and a plane get blown up by Wagner and fleeing Moscow would be part of the plan, if it existed at all

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

throwing away several irreplaceable helicopters as a feint

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Somaen posted:

Like every time Putin shits his pants and the country shows signs of falling apart someone comes in with -- Ah the pants making GBS threads false flag to make himself even stronger... Genius...

Seriously. No one is playing a 5D chess game, least of all Putin.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think letting 6 helicopters and a plane get blown up by Wagner and fleeing Moscow would be part of the plan, if it existed at all

I still like the theory that Putin triangulates all his henchmen and when they have a fallout he fucks off until they hash it out then arrests the losers.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

poverty goat posted:

I was googling Russian helicopter production because I'd be surprised if they literally can't make any more but then I remembered that helicopter isn't heli copter, it's actually helico (spiral) pter (wing) and I was so delighted by that recollection I stopped caring

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

tiaz posted:

I think you'll find that no aircraft restricted to a 200 meter runway gets its full combat effectiveness, and no turbine aircraft (especially military) tolerates lack of spares or maintenance for long. it's cool that they can do it at all, but if you're employing that capability you're losing.

Ukraine hasn't even run out of airbases in this conflict. The West broadly certainly wouldn't.

Sweden’s entire air doctrine revolves around operating decentralized, using the road with, and with small mobile ground crew - so I think a Swedish fighter designed to operate decentralized, using the road network, and small mobile crews will be able to do that

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

poverty goat posted:

Don't forget the IL-22 airborne command center too!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

weg posted:

No

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Sashimi posted:

The fuselage probably dropped on a daycare or old folks home somewhere, so according to Russian doctrine, Mission Accomplished!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

weg posted:

If so lol

Probably not, but there's never a bad opportunity to purge.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

sebmojo posted:

I was googling Russian helicopter production because I'd be surprised if they literally can't make any more but then I remembered that helicopter isn't heli copter, it's actually helico (spiral) pter (wing) and I was so delighted by that recollection I stopped caring

bus is short for omnibus
car is short for motor carriage
boat is short for bouyant automobile

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
People spent years doing the stupid "this is actually good for Trump!!" thing so we shouldn't be surprised when it gets applied to another stupid boomer leader that shits his pamps daily

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FirstnameLastname posted:

bus is short for omnibus

Taking notes

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Sashimi posted:

That's fine actually, Russia doesn't have as much stuff to command as it used to, it was redundant

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

beer_war posted:

Seriously. No one is playing a 5D chess game, least of all Putin.
He can poo poo his pants while playing regular chess, so how many dimensions does that add?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

bus is short for omnibus

Car comes from Middle English carre.
Boat comes from Middle English boat/bat/boot. The bus thing is correct.

sebmojo posted:

Common misconception, it actually comes from helios(sun) and copt(pre-Islamic Egyptian). No further explanation necessary.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 28, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Car comes from Middle English carre.
Boat comes from Middle English boat/bat/boot.

sorry, these are folk etymologies. OP was correct.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Anders posted:

Sweden’s entire air doctrine revolves around operating decentralized, using the road with, and with small mobile ground crew - so I think a Swedish fighter designed to operate decentralized, using the road network, and small mobile crews will be able to do that

To be clear I don't mean to say the Gripen is a bad aircraft or that it can't perform as designed.

I wasn't able to find hard numbers but I would be very surprised to hear that the published 600-800m takeoff distance (which is impressive for a fighter!) is with full fuel, drop tanks, missiles, etc. That isn't to say that capability is useless, but that it isn't directly comparable: the F-16's (and others') published takeoff distance is full load, a "clean" configuration wouldn't take 10kft to get off the ground.

I take back "if you're using your STOL capability you're losing", that was a little spicily framed but was meant to refer to NATO doctrine. If F-16s are trying to operate from improvised strips its NATO operators are probably on the back foot because we emphasize defending our (richly appointed, with their 10kft runways and whatnot) airbases. If you're able to do that then making the tradeoff in other areas of the aircraft to achieve STOL capability might not be worth it, like the F-35B throws away a ton of internal volume and fuel capacity to get the fan that enables vertical takeoff in there but accordingly is not desired by the USAF.

I dug a little bit but I'm not trying to go hard in the paint against you here and those kinds of second-order details can be tricky to find if they're even public. I did find this video but you can see there's no external stores at all apart from a drop tank. :shrug:

sebmojo posted:

I'd be surprised at total inability too but they certainly can't make them anywhere near as fast as they're losing them.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Gripen dis dick

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Gripens are a non starter mostly because there's 96 active Gripens in Swedens air force and there's just not really any spares to give.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

HonorableTB posted:

Gripens are a non starter mostly because there's 96 active Gripens in Swedens air force and there's just not really any spares to give.
On the other hand, a successful display from a small fleet in the hands of Ukraine might be the final chance to kickstart sales.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

“These guys are all loving stupid” is a rational explanation.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

the holy poopacy posted:

sorry, these are folk etymologies. OP was correct.

It is actually an acronym, apparently, since there is absolutely nothing better than messing about in boats it stands for Best Of All Things

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
When I found out "taxi cab" was an abbreviation for "taximeter cabriolet" it was the end of my innocence

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

When I found out "taxi cab" was an abbreviation for "taximeter cabriolet" it was the end of my innocence

:psyduck:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What's taximeter cabriolet an abbreviation of
e: omnitaxippatory encabriolaturement

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

HonorableTB posted:

They got 95 spares but a Gripen ain't one!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

bus is short for omnibus

Bike is short for Bichael.

I do enjoy how different languages went through the same process of having a cumbersome word for cars and then shortening it down as they became commonplace.

English did carriage or carre ,ok. German got Auto from automobil [selfmoving], which admitttedly is the stand-out feature. The Scandinavian languages had the same idea, but shortened it to "bil" instead.

That said, I looked through the other language pages on Wikipedia to see what else different languages have come up with. There are a lot of automobiles or short forms (Auto, bil, mobil, and one tomobil), some variants of motorcar/motor, and a few variants of machine. There are just a few I can't place, like Diné and (Irish) Gaelic. Half points to Polish for translating automobil to Samochód [self-going].

(If you want to take a look, I had more luck going to the Italian page and looking at their "other languages" list; their editors seem to have dug up more small language wikis.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 28, 2023

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

quick! take this remedy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk_sAHh9s08

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
a condition of any jet donations to ukraine should be mandatory waifu skins and paint jobs from ace combat 7.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shakespeare uses 'car' as short for chariot so it is impossible to day what is real or fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Shakespeare uses 'car' as short for chariot so it is impossible to day what is real or fake

carre/car/cart/carriage/chariot are all derivations from the same Latin root (carra) in various languages, so I don't think it really matters. It's not a 1:1 correspondence.