Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Coolguye posted:

unless he's willing to give up equity there's no way you'll get talent without a salary though

and even then most people are going to demand some sort of livable stipend

This is just one man's opinion but honestly I think this is the kind of situation where you have to decide, this is it, I'm making my next game, or okay I'm gonna keep expanding on Stardew Valley and put my other title on ice for now. It's not really the kind of thing you want to delegate--not necessarily for artistic reasons, but I'm talking from a strictly financial perspective. And the offering is in the Seattle area? Workers are gonna need somewhere close to six figures a year just to meet cost of living.

Being responsible for the livelihood of another person is heavy, and it's very easy to get in over your head without realizing it.

Well I guess I'm saying this more for the benefit of everyone else, iirc you're versed in this, and you can probably back me up in that hiring workers is expensive and it's hard life poo poo, huge responsibility.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah dude i've owned my own thing for 4 years and i'm 100% behind you on that. being responsible for someone else's livelihood is a massive responsibility that only a fool rushes into lightly.

i generally agree with you on path forward too, though i would handle it a little bit differently. what i'd basically do is plan out what my next game is going to require, and then do a roadmap to keep a small team (2-4 people, depending on what skills were needed) working on stardew for about as long as i needed to do my next game. then during hiring i'd be very up front with people - i am providing these bits of organization and direction to the team, you have this much of my time per day, and with the rest of my time i am working on my next game. you have such and such runway to get these priorities done and have stardew making money. if your updates turn into sales and revenue, the team will get profit share. and be generous on that, don't cheap out and give them like 50%, tell them if they put in the work and pull it off they'll get loving 80 cents on the dollar of net profit. that's still fair to you as the creator because all you're doing is showing up and providing some guidance, the vast majority of your time is free to do whatever and this thing you created is basically no-work income.

then with the carrot out, tell them the hard truth of the stick: if you can't get all that done, i'll have to let everyone go and re-evaluate what i'm doing, i don't have infinite money.

that lets you plan and budget everything to make sure you don't spend money you don't have, and makes it really loving clear what your limits and expectations are. ideal situation, it gets you the people that lets you build the team you want - 2-4 people that are personally invested in the quality and success of the product and are making you money without you thinking about it. worst case, you lose the money you budgeted toward the adventure and you never see it again. but you did the budgeting and poo poo beforehand so that should not be the end of the world.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I'm curious as to how Unknown Worlds Entertainment (Natural Selection 1/2, Subnautica) handled their community dev team for NS2?

I remember them putting a volunteer dev team in place at the start of their Subnautica development, but don't know how well it worked considering NS2 was doomed from the get-go.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
So who's responsible for thread titles, anyway? I'm just wondering why we still have the spooky thread title from October

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i have both run and worked with multiple volunteer dev teams and the one that was both responsive and competent was the result of two hard core professionals doing hard core professional work for free and setting the standard for everyone else on the team. these were two people who could have easily walked out and made $60+/hr doing the same stuff but chose not to for whatever reason. unless you want to bargain on that kind of miracle happening you don't walk into volunteer dev squads with anything resembling high hopes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Foo Diddley posted:

So who's responsible for thread titles, anyway? I'm just wondering why we still have the spooky thread title from October

Make up a fun title. Share with thread. Someone can PM a mod for the change if there's some laughs. No big deal.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

The White Dragon posted:

rip. bringing on a salaried staff is the best way to make your money evaporate

He has like $20+ million dollars that he's doing literally nothing with iirc

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Does cross platform multiplayer work in any capacity? A buddy of mine has a switch with SDV, and I've got PC with SDV and we haven't found a way to play together just yet.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

He has like $20+ million dollars that he's doing literally nothing with iirc

Have you seen the housing market in Seattle? He's probably got a tiny studio condo on lock for a few cool mil.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also, there's a difference between having 20mil to budget a game and having that much to run a whole company. Even with only four or five people, that money can go poof a lot fast than you might expect without a regular source of income.

Not saying it's probable mind you, that sounds like a more than a comfortable purse for a small team and Ape clearly has an aptitude for acquiring a broad range of skills. I don't think learning to manage a small business is at all beyond his horizons.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well, if he's doing some content DLC/expansions for about $5 a pop I could see that easing it off a bit.

Plus, he's already got SV under his belt so the whole early access thing would probably be a decent option for new IP.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Zesty posted:

Make up a fun title.

Well that's where it all falls down, isn't it

I got nothin'

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
How bout Stardew Valley - Slut-shaming since 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Krazyface posted:

How bout Stardew Valley - Slut-shaming since 2018

If this is a reference to the scene you get from trying to date everyone without the rabbit's foot, nah, I still wouldn't.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
More like StarDON'T Valley amirite (j/k actually it's good)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

'cuz I am most chill and I'm farmin' and sellin'

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tin Tim posted:

These sheds are made for keggin

Stardew Valley - These sheds are made for keggin

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stardew Valley - Still no weed

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Stardew Valley - Insert gifts, receive friendship

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm thinking I'll get back in to this game, and want to try the Forest layout but all my ideas for layout are based on the freedom of the default farm. Any tips for filling the forest farm in an aesthetically pleasing way?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Google mostly. People come up with neat ways to fill space.

Wouldn't say it's super efficient, but it does look nice.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Well, just because you can't farm some parts doesn't mean you can't build on them. You can't get rid of the bushes and trees on the land so you can't just build anything anywhere, but you're not as limited as you might think initially.

...uhhh sorry that's all I got. I just build things wherever they seem useful or like they won't get in my way.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Having the item id glitch removed has actually killed my interest in the game, which is stupid, but I really like slowly developing the community center but there's no way in hell I'm doing the god drat fishing.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mods?

No seriously you can just go get a mod for fishing to suck less

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I play on my dual handheld/console system, the Nintendo Switch. if I had modding available, I'd give myself the fish that way. :v: appreciate the thought, tho.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 3, 2019

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I used to hate fishing but once you get a couple of levels and better rods it gets so much easier. This time it was the first bundle I completed.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
fishing rules get gud scrub

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

dont be mean to me posted:

Mods?

No seriously you can just go get a mod for fishing to suck less

I laughed at this more than I probably should have.

Stardew Valley: Joja was a mart that thought it was the good guy

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Stardew Valley : Bribing your way to good relations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Stardew Valley 2112: We Are The Priests Of The Temple of Joja

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Bogart posted:

Having the item id glitch removed has actually killed my interest in the game, which is stupid, but I really like slowly developing the community center but there's no way in hell I'm doing the god drat fishing.

Still works on PC. I bought a chicken named something like [182][111] in December and got the two items I picked (I don't remember the exact numbers but it was a tomato, and a prismatic shard).

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GotLag posted:

I'm thinking I'll get back in to this game, and want to try the Forest layout but all my ideas for layout are based on the freedom of the default farm. Any tips for filling the forest farm in an aesthetically pleasing way?

I've posted it before, but here's mine. I think it strikes a good balance between looking nice while maintaining decent crop yield.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Coolguye posted:

yeah dude i've owned my own thing for 4 years and i'm 100% behind you on that. being responsible for someone else's livelihood is a massive responsibility that only a fool rushes into lightly.

i generally agree with you on path forward too, though i would handle it a little bit differently. what i'd basically do is plan out what my next game is going to require, and then do a roadmap to keep a small team (2-4 people, depending on what skills were needed) working on stardew for about as long as i needed to do my next game. then during hiring i'd be very up front with people - i am providing these bits of organization and direction to the team, you have this much of my time per day, and with the rest of my time i am working on my next game. you have such and such runway to get these priorities done and have stardew making money. if your updates turn into sales and revenue, the team will get profit share. and be generous on that, don't cheap out and give them like 50%, tell them if they put in the work and pull it off they'll get loving 80 cents on the dollar of net profit. that's still fair to you as the creator because all you're doing is showing up and providing some guidance, the vast majority of your time is free to do whatever and this thing you created is basically no-work income.

then with the carrot out, tell them the hard truth of the stick: if you can't get all that done, i'll have to let everyone go and re-evaluate what i'm doing, i don't have infinite money.

that lets you plan and budget everything to make sure you don't spend money you don't have, and makes it really loving clear what your limits and expectations are. ideal situation, it gets you the people that lets you build the team you want - 2-4 people that are personally invested in the quality and success of the product and are making you money without you thinking about it. worst case, you lose the money you budgeted toward the adventure and you never see it again. but you did the budgeting and poo poo beforehand so that should not be the end of the world.

The job posting says "other team members" so reading an awful lot into one sentence, lets assume a team of at least 3.

Glassdoor says even entry level engineer salaries start around 100k in Seattle and he wants people with at least 3 years experience. You certainly couldn't get me to move there for less than $120k and I like Seattle. Cost to employ someone including benefits, equipment and overhead is double by rule of thumb (although I'd be interested on your take on that). So somewhere around 250k an engineer. That works out to a minimum of 3/4 of a million a year. His last game took 5 years to make and he isn't hiring on a one year contract so use that as the estimated duration and you're looking at out of pocket costs of something like $4 million. That's not an impossible number, but its also a huge leap of faith. Even if the expansions make half what Stardew did (Call it 4 million sales across all platforms for about $26 million in CAs pocket after steam/nintendo et all and his publisher take their cut). So half would be $13million revenue or 9 mill in profit. Lets call it 10million to make the math easy. At 80% equity to the dev team, CA would be spending 4 mill to try to make 2 mill. 50% return over 5 years is pretty good compared to the stock market but there's a lot of risk there too. On the other hand, his post didn't say anything about equity at all, and a predicted return of 250% return on investment would make the risk a lot more tolerable. It would make the risks higher too of course, since the developers won't be as invested in the project's success...

Anyways, I think back of napkin math like this shows he can afford to make the gamble and I hope he succeeds. There've been several other farming game attempts on PC and none of them really come close to the same charm and polish as SV. He doesn't even have to charge for the next update although at this point he really ought to. We've more than gotten our money's worth at this point.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Fishing really sucks at the start, but if you stick with it long enough your catching bar gets considerably larger, and eventually you can start using the trap bobber which makes fishing a whole lot easier in general. Having the catch meter deplete 2/3rds slower makes a world of difference, especially if you're trying to catch harder types of fish.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

LLSix posted:

Still works on PC. I bought a chicken named something like [182][111] in December and got the two items I picked (I don't remember the exact numbers but it was a tomato, and a prismatic shard).

Apparently CA left the glitch in the game on purpose but Nintendo made him fix it for the Switch version because of some kind of Switch-specific fuckery :shrug:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LLSix posted:

The job posting says "other team members" so reading an awful lot into one sentence, lets assume a team of at least 3.

Glassdoor says even entry level engineer salaries start around 100k in Seattle and he wants people with at least 3 years experience. You certainly couldn't get me to move there for less than $120k and I like Seattle. Cost to employ someone including benefits, equipment and overhead is double by rule of thumb (although I'd be interested on your take on that). So somewhere around 250k an engineer. That works out to a minimum of 3/4 of a million a year. His last game took 5 years to make and he isn't hiring on a one year contract so use that as the estimated duration

It would probably take less time to expand on an already finished game though, right?

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

IcePhoenix posted:

It would probably take less time to expand on an already finished game though, right?

If you have competent leadership and a competent team, sure.

Otherwise you'll get devs who want to recode random poo poo like the loot-system to give it an API like WoW's. Not exactly bad, but time consuming and may not be in CA's vision for the game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Absolutely. CA did all the work for Shane and Emily in what, a few months right? That doesn't seem to be what CA has in mind, or at least not all he has in mind. If he only wanted something in the 6-month to a year range he should be hiring on a time limited contract. :iiam:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

In future Stardew Valley updates every adult in town (and the desert) will be marriable.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Can't wait to put a ring on that big, sexy desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skippy McPants posted:

Can't wait to put a ring on that big, sexy desert.

I'm sure you'll make it the happiest sand covered landscape in the world.