Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

jemand posted:

This strikes me as a fantastic idea that wasn't really on my radar. How do I find such a person? Any thread experiences here for what people generally look to get out of this?

My general advice around coaching is that you'll do best hiring coaches that specialize in what your gaps are. As a new leader, I'd look for a coach that has done your same role (e.g. product development full stack engineering manager) as an ideal, but varying is ok if you get good recommendations from people who were new to management in similar roles when they got coaching. I have a fairly fully developed curriculum that I run my new managers through as they move up from IC to leader; you'd want a coach who has something similar from doing it so often. Managing up ought to be one of the key skills they focus on with you early since going from IC to reporting to an SVP means you're going to need to be operating about 3 levels up from where you just were.

wins32767 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Thanks all. I've got at least a few ideas now on how / where / who to ask about coaching. Hopefully this new position goes well-- it'll be quite a learning experience at least.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

If you report to an SVP you're effectively a director and expected to meet KPI but how is up to you. Good luck with that

I report to the CTO, what does that make me?

Edit: we do have a director of engineering, but my team doesn't report to him since I think even the CTO realizes that this guy has the leadership potential of a fence post.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
and to be clear, when people talk about "gaps" in a coaching context, it's the space between where you are and where you want to go next, not the things that make you feel bad about yourself professionally sometimes, which are often the worst place to invest in self-improvement

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

What does Oracle RTO situation look like, and are all their bay area engineering offices in Santa Clara or do they have a satellite engineering office in SF proper? I guess they're winding down their redwood city HQ building (formally in austin now) but I'm guessing that facility is mostly focused on management, sales, gov relations etc

Friend of mine works there and is fulltime remote; he's in a totally different state and everything. Dunno if that's a one-off though.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

jemand posted:

Thanks all. I've got at least a few ideas now on how / where / who to ask about coaching. Hopefully this new position goes well-- it'll be quite a learning experience at least.

When I I’m your shoes it was the most difficult 6 months of my career but I learned a ton and it set me up well for my next gig which was by far and away my favorite job. Just stay positive, keep learning and regularly remind yourself that you are doing basically an entirely new job so of course it’s hard. After you learn delegation and how to prioritize it’ll get much, much easier.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I started using the Outlook web client for work instead of running Outlook in a Windows VM. It has its problems, but it also detected a sarcastic "Congratulations!" to a colleague that got to be the first to run into an infrastructural screw up out of our control that was messing him up. It converted it to a link that shot confetti out when you hovered your cursor over it.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I started using the Outlook web client for work instead of running Outlook in a Windows VM. It has its problems, but it also detected a sarcastic "Congratulations!" to a colleague that got to be the first to run into an infrastructural screw up out of our control that was messing him up. It converted it to a link that shot confetti out when you hovered your cursor over it.

The outlook tone filter is actually pretty rad. I was pissed off when writing an email and it was able to correct "I don't give a gently caress about..." to "I am not concerned with" and restructured the sentence otherwise to sound very professional.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm in the process of transitioning from being the tech lead for a single team to I guess more of a staff engineer role? I'm going to be doing planning and refinement for two teams and being the person their tech leads ask for help when they get stuck. (Currently one engineer is doing that for 4 teams so I'm going to be taking two of his teams, including my current team, to split the workload between us). My manager has asked me to come up with a succession plan before fully handing off my tech lead responsibilities for my current team. HR is being difficult about giving me access to the inhouse planning tools.

Anyone have a planning tool or process they like? Or advice? I've been a tech lead for a lot of years at a lot of companies, and done a lot of project planning and refinement, but I've never specifically tried to train a replacement before.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The process of planning a replacement is pretty specific to your company and the way that relationships are handled. You're unlikely to be able to make a big difference in terms of how they ramp up to the responsibilities themselves, technically speaking, so your job is really to educate them on how people will expect to interact with them and how they should be trying to interact back. Your instinct will be to be unopinionated and give them space to figure their job out. In this one area, you're actually setting them up for failure if you do that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anybody want to give commentary on oracle's OCI (cloud group) right now? Seems like they're in growth mode still. The few people I've talked to seem to not hate it, like an early AWS with interesting stuff to work on? Or are they blowing smoke up my rear end

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Along the same lines, has anyone worked with ServiceTitan? I got a recruiter email, but I'm very much still in study mode.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

Anybody want to give commentary on oracle's OCI (cloud group) right now? Seems like they're in growth mode still. The few people I've talked to seem to not hate it, like an early AWS with interesting stuff to work on? Or are they blowing smoke up my rear end

Not sure how close he is, but a friend of mine works for their incident management thing and generally likes his boss and coworkers and describes it as a target rich environment.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

What patterns is everyone using for user authorization in microservice-based architectures right now? What is doing the authorization for each service? Are you using third-party access tokens and trusting them through the entire chain of services, or are you exchanging them for first-party tokens somewhere along the way? Do you have a single authorization server handling your token exchanges, or are services responsible for authorizing their own requests? Are service-local requests for resources (i.e. same-user authorization) getting authorized within the business logic or do you have auth endpoints for each service generating service-specific tokens?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m curious what people’s experience with that is too. It seems like you could pass around a JWT and then refresh it via a single service, but maybe a sidecar to refresh it would be better?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I was just in a meeting about this yesterday afternoon, but as I was also baking cookies, I took away no information on the subject

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

lifg posted:

I’m curious what people’s experience with that is too. It seems like you could pass around a JWT and then refresh it via a single service, but maybe a sidecar to refresh it would be better?
That's a possibility, but token refresh is built into most sensible OAuth2 clients already

e: OTOH, what is not built in is exchanging third-party tokens for first-party ones when the third-party ones are refreshed, so maybe this would be a neat sidecar service in that respect

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 26, 2023

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
What do you mean by third party to first party? Like translating an Auth0 token for some sort of internal company token?

sim
Sep 24, 2003

At my work we have an auth service that validates a JWT on every request. We're integrating with Auth0 right now and basically we just exchange the Auth0 token for our platform specific one in the auth service. So it happens once at login and then not again until our session expires.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

sim posted:

At my work we have an auth service that validates a JWT on every request. We're integrating with Auth0 right now and basically we just exchange the Auth0 token for our platform specific one in the auth service. So it happens once at login and then not again until our session expires.
What do you do with the token? Is it returned to the client and used directly, or is it stored on the session and retrieved into the request context when the client makes a call?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Does anyone have a resource for getting into the swing of things regarding DS&A?

I have 17 years of experience, but haven't had to touch that stuff since college and it's all long gone.

I'm practicing leetcode stuff and struggling a lot worse than I thought I would.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

moctopus posted:

Does anyone have a resource for getting into the swing of things regarding DS&A?

I have 17 years of experience, but haven't had to touch that stuff since college and it's all long gone.

I'm practicing leetcode stuff and struggling a lot worse than I thought I would.

I mean honestly leetcode etc is the right answer in my view, combined with looking up answers when you get stuck. Leetcode in particular has paid explanations for a lot of the questions too.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
cracking the coding interview has a decent intro to ds&a, I tend to review it before jumping into leetcode practice each job hunt cycle.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Thanks!

I've been doing the problems then checking the answer thing.

I've been working my way through this list, https://gist.github.com/tykurtz/3548a31f673588c05c89f9ca42067bc4 and I'm on the cyclic sort section.

When I start them I'm ok at recognizing the patterns and applying them, but it's starting to feel like I need to know two tricks (the pattern and an additional hurdle) instead of knowing the pattern and building on it.

This one in particular stumped me earlier and lead to me making this post, https://leetcode.com/problems/find-all-duplicates-in-an-array/ I was able to sort the list just fine, but blanked on the idea of throwing in a negative number.

Kind of liking and hating these more than I thought I would.

Gonna keep on keeping on!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

moctopus posted:

Thanks!

I've been doing the problems then checking the answer thing.

I've been working my way through this list, https://gist.github.com/tykurtz/3548a31f673588c05c89f9ca42067bc4 and I'm on the cyclic sort section.

When I start them I'm ok at recognizing the patterns and applying them, but it's starting to feel like I need to know two tricks (the pattern and an additional hurdle) instead of knowing the pattern and building on it.

This one in particular stumped me earlier and lead to me making this post, https://leetcode.com/problems/find-all-duplicates-in-an-array/ I was able to sort the list just fine, but blanked on the idea of throwing in a negative number.

Kind of liking and hating these more than I thought I would.

Gonna keep on keeping on!

To be fair, that's all good. You don't want to approach this stuff as a fixed sort of "learn the magic answer" because interviews will modify the question over time, or simply always have a twist. Code katas are useful learning tools for this stuff because they force you to focus on a small problem with defined scope.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Just adding on to the original bit:

moctopus posted:

I will add that I had gotten a book on algorithms in particular and found it didn't really help me so much. The amount of rigor in determine the different kinds of Big-O/theta/whatever is pretty much irrelevant and the problems are too literal for the coding puzzles. So I wanted to de-emphasize going in that direction. I just found that I could do some easy-tier problems on leetcode or whatever in a category that was giving me trouble before moving on to mediums. The hard problems get pretty wild and can require One Weird Trick and are apparently only relevant if you want to get into Meta.

What reference reading can help is some more esoteric bits of the language and standard libraries you're using. I have done all of my interview coding in Python and found that I used a lot more breadth of Python syntax in these coding puzzles than I would use in day-to-day work. I had worked on a Python interpreter project and would use the programs I wrote for coding interviews to find all kinds of hiccups in it that I didn't have in regular scripting. You'd want to know what collections are already available for you in your language of choice (despite possibly never using them IRL) and cultivate an instinct to reach for them to solve the problems quickly. It's not an issue of thinking "I wish I had a heap queue but I can't write one on the fly." It's more like remember that you even have it in the first place and that you can use it for the problem at hand.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Just adding on to the original bit:

I will add that I had gotten a book on algorithms in particular and found it didn't really help me so much. The amount of rigor in determine the different kinds of Big-O/theta/whatever is pretty much irrelevant and the problems are too literal for the coding puzzles. So I wanted to de-emphasize going in that direction. I just found that I could do some easy-tier problems on leetcode or whatever in a category that was giving me trouble before moving on to mediums. The hard problems get pretty wild and can require One Weird Trick and are apparently only relevant if you want to get into Meta.

What reference reading can help is some more esoteric bits of the language and standard libraries you're using. I have done all of my interview coding in Python and found that I used a lot more breadth of Python syntax in these coding puzzles than I would use in day-to-day work. I had worked on a Python interpreter project and would use the programs I wrote for coding interviews to find all kinds of hiccups in it that I didn't have in regular scripting. You'd want to know what collections are already available for you in your language of choice (despite possibly never using them IRL) and cultivate an instinct to reach for them to solve the problems quickly. It's not an issue of thinking "I wish I had a heap queue but I can't write one on the fly." It's more like remember that you even have it in the first place and that you can use it for the problem at hand.

Thanks for this, that's good insight. I haven't hit anything unfamiliar in that area yet, but I have been using some stuff I barely needed to touch (looking at min and max) so you're on the money.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's a lot like doing proofs in logic or other systems: you do enough and you start recognizing "oh try x, try y, try z". doing leetcode and all that will help you get familiar with the various tools you can use. and of course sometimes your brain just spaces and you miss the should've-been-obvious thing but there's a reason it's called the algo lottery and not the algo sure thing

at the base level, you have things like "sort it first," "[strike]cache some stuff[/strike]dYnAmIc PrOgRaMmInG", "put it in a queue/heap/stack/graph", "use a hash," easy stuff like that. then there's array marking like in your example, sliding windows, etc

and going on the above post, if you don't know your language's interface to whatever data structure you want to use, just make one up. sometimes you'll get an interviewer who actually cares about that kind of thing, but most won't. after all, most won't remember the actual interface either, because they _also_ haven't actually had to know it for years

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
I'm in the same boat as you moctopus, in having to do DS&A problems to prep for interviews and hating it, and this dude has been helpful to me.

https://neetcode.io/practice

He just goes over leetcode problems and explains the algorithm with visuals, which works better for me than reading CtCI. It's also nice to have it broken down as a list of 75 problems that should expose you to the patterns and data structures you need to be familiar with.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Algorithms by Sanjoy Dasgupta is a great, brief, readable book that walks through complexity analysis and a few different algorithms.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Thanks for all the resources everyone! I got plenty to keep my busy for a while I think 👍

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

What do you do with the token? Is it returned to the client and used directly, or is it stored on the session and retrieved into the request context when the client makes a call?

Returned to the client, which stores it in a cookie, and then passes it back in each request (to be validated each time).

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I take all the tokens and jam them on a big spike on the counter, then give the customer the food they ordered

sim
Sep 24, 2003

No matter what the customer ordered, I give them a cookie

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

sim posted:

No matter what the customer ordered, I give them a cookie

Modern website design in a nutshell.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oddly, nobody has filed a ticket to try to make me add "this site uses cookies!!!" notices to all the web applications! Huh!

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

What is the polite way to respond to a recruiter that you're not currently looking at applying anywhere, but will be eventually.

I posted a bit back about taking a buyout/studying and I'm not really prepared to interview, but this particular recruiter has sent three emails and I'd like to be professional.

I feel a little silly asking, but everything is so gamified these days that every way of handling seems like it could be the wrong way of handling it in its own right.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"I'm not looking right now but I'm looking at making a transition here in 6 months, please reach out then"?

In the case of FAANG the recruiters will usually reach out 6 months and a day to when you send that email

For all others, the recruiter will have moved on to three other companies so it doesn't really matter

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Hadlock posted:

"I'm not looking right now but I'm looking at making a transition here in 6 months, please reach out then"?

In the case of FAANG the recruiters will usually reach out 6 months and a day to when you send that email

For all others, the recruiter will have moved on to three other companies so it doesn't really matter

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

moctopus posted:

What is the polite way to respond to a recruiter that you're not currently looking at applying anywhere, but will be eventually.
I’ve had good experiences following this advice: https://index.medium.com/career-advice-nobody-gave-me-never-ignore-a-recruiter-4474eac9556

I get contacted by a ton of recruiters (hooray for established skill sets in a volatile industry full of burnout) so it’s good to maintain relationships because like the other poster said, they’ll be somewhere else, and it might be somewhere you want to be.