Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Len posted:

I thought they went on some rant about how Alien Isolation stole their idea and the game was basically dead?

Alien Isolation is what comes to mind on watching that trailer. But I feel like there's enough room for 2 of that sort of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

Alien Isolation is what comes to mind on watching that trailer. But I feel like there's enough room for 2 of that sort of game.

If anything it might make more people want to pick it up since you'll have game media telling people it's like this best selling game you loved.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Len posted:

I thought they went on some rant about how Alien Isolation stole their idea and the game was basically dead?

That is 99% guaranteed to be an excuse thrown out for what in reality was probably another gross mundane case of money mismanagement and internal troubles leading to downsized teams, and eventually game vapor.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Len posted:

I don't they did, I never heard of that. There's so many theories about why poo poo when south but there's no confirmation of anything.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

This feels like another one of those things that hosed over Killzone over the years, nobody attached to it ever so much as mentioned it being "The Halo killer" but a magazine said it in a big splash page, people strung that out to mean it was a statement endorsed by the devs, then eventually a statement straight from the devs, which only ever caught them poo poo when they never said it in the first place, likewise with Routine, I feel like someone somewhere said that Isolation came out and ate it's lunch, then people mutated the statement the same way.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/cjmelendez_/status/1253753172683882496?s=21

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pyramid head was the good guy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This town is full of 5G towers! How can you just sit there and self-isolate?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just in time to update REm4ke for the modern day.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

it's been known for years that cihi is a total kook so i can't say i'm surprised

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

FirstAidKite posted:

This town is full of 5G towers! How can you just sit there and self-isolate?

They look like 5G towers to you?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Piss Meridian posted:

They look like 5G towers to you?

:drat:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Len posted:

Statements like this are so weird, there are a lot of horror games out there that play similarly, see all the RE-alikes. People still play them because even if the core gameplay conceits are the same, stuff like monster design/environment design/plot exposition varies enough to make it feel fresh and interesting enough to follow (providing a certain minimum of playability).

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I bought Soma over 2 years ago on the recommendation of this thread, and finally got a chance to play through it this week.

Jesus. loving. Christ.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

a mysterious cloak posted:

I bought Soma over 2 years ago on the recommendation of this thread, and finally got a chance to play through it this week.

Jesus. loving. Christ.

Yeah, Simon's a complete loving buffoon isn't he? :v:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to find a game which was posted itt, it was ostensibly about driving a train but the background was some horrific plague/catastrophy ?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

unpacked robinhood posted:

I'm trying to find a game which was posted itt, it was ostensibly about driving a train but the background was some horrific plague/catastrophy ?

I think this was it

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Final Station. It's

fine.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Glagha posted:

Yeah, Simon's a complete loving buffoon isn't he? :v:

I mean, they actually kind of explain it eventually, but yeah, poor fella. It's not really his fault.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Bogart posted:

The Final Station. It's

fine.
Play Far: Lone Sails instead. It's not a horror game, but it's got the same premise of driving a vehicle between destinations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I mean, they actually kind of explain it eventually, but yeah, poor fella. It's not really his fault.

Wait, I actually don't know what you mean by that. What did they explain? Are we talking about the same thing?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Statements like this are so weird, there are a lot of horror games out there that play similarly, see all the RE-alikes. People still play them because even if the core gameplay conceits are the same, stuff like monster design/environment design/plot exposition varies enough to make it feel fresh and interesting enough to follow (providing a certain minimum of playability).
The difference is that we're talking about a guy who started working on his game a year earlier and didn't even make it to early access in the same amount of time it took the A:I team to go from game concept to finished product. That tends to make people want to blame someone who isn't themselves.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Glagha posted:

Wait, I actually don't know what you mean by that. What did they explain? Are we talking about the same thing?

He had a brain tumor it's why they scanned his brain to begin with.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I love this discussion, that was one of Soma's successes is it generated a lot of really good debate. The old SOMA thread was a fun read, it may be in archives at this point.

Simon's a lot more sympathetic a character than he seems at first. He's a very average guy put into an incredibly terrifying (and unlikely) situation. He uses denial as a completely understandable defense mechanism. Poor dude basically has to go through all the stages of grief in the space of like a few hours, that would do just about anyone's head in

Glagha posted:

Can't speak for SAT but I think they might be referring to the whole copy of a copy thing. Simon, being in complete denial, thinks his consciousness is being transferred into new bodies as one seamless, continuous package, and he is still "him" after each one, when in reality, which he is smacked in the face with the cold reality of at the end of the game, each "Simon" gets left behind to die alone in the cold and dark. It's terrifying, and one of the things I love about cerebral sci-fi and horror, I'm glad someone found a way to package it into vidya game.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Glagha posted:

I always just figured he was a small minded person in denial.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I absolutely loved how that went down too. A great story. Really gave me that existential discomfort or whatever. I came across a YouTube series sometime back that did a fantastic analysis that really did the game justice. If I find it, I'll post it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Simon's a lot more sympathetic a character than he seems at first. He's a very average guy put into an incredibly terrifying (and unlikely) situation. He uses denial as a completely understandable defense mechanism. Poor dude basically has to go through all the stages of grief in the space of like a few hours, that would do just about anyone's head in
Can't speak for SAT but I think they might be referring to the whole copy of a copy thing. Simon, being in complete denial, thinks his consciousness is being transferred into new bodies as one seamless, continuous package, and he is still "him" after each one, when in reality, which he is smacked in the face with the cold reality of at the end of the game, each "Simon" gets left behind to die alone in the cold and dark. It's terrifying, and one of the things I love about cerebral sci-fi and horror, I'm glad someone found a way to package it into vidya game.
I think I know a trilogy of sci-fi novels you might enjoy, they're really into exploring the implications of a world in which mind-backup technology made everyone almost-but-not-quite immortal thousands of years ago and what that does to their sense of personal identity. Except unlike Soma, they doesn't just cludge it together for the sake of a half-baked shocking twist! at the end of a horror game, so it's actually much better, really.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 25, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Books better than a video game? I think not.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
he was dying of brain damage before being scanned, which probably didn't help

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lol :smith:

Bogart posted:

The Final Station. It's

fine.

Oh that's the one, thanks !

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Piss Meridian posted:

he was dying of brain damage before being scanned, which probably didn't help

there wasn’t any cognitive decline yet, he was just a loving idiot

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Oxxidation posted:

there wasn’t any cognitive decline yet, he was just a loving idiot

He forgot to send the email to his boss at the start of the game. He also lost the contrast solution he was supposed to drink

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Cardiovorax posted:

I think I know a trilogy of sci-fi novels you might enjoy, they're really into exploring the implications of a world in which mind-backup technology made everyone almost-but-not-quite immortal thousands of years ago and what that does to their sense of personal identity. Except unlike Soma, they doesn't just cludge it together for the sake of a half-baked shocking twist! at the end of a horror game, so it's actually much better, really.
I don't think it's really THAT much of a twist to anyone but Simon himself though. If you follow what's happening throughout the game (and I did a terrible job of this myself the first time I played, there's a lot to take in and I kept taking long breaks in between), the story of the split between the ones who believed in seamless consciousness transfer (the game had names for them I believe, but it's been a while) and those who didn't foreshadow it pretty heavily.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I don't think it's really THAT much of a twist to anyone but Simon himself though. If you follow what's happening throughout the game (and I did a terrible job of this myself the first time I played, there's a lot to take in and I kept taking long breaks in between), the story of the split between the ones who believed in seamless consciousness transfer (the game had names for them I believe, but it's been a while) and those who didn't foreshadow it pretty heavily.

I agree; I didnt see it as a twist but more of a gut punch as no, there wont be some divine miracle to rescue this poor desperate person, there wont be a mind swap and yes, he will be left alone while the "other him" will wake up in some paradise. I really loved how it ended, in my humble opinion.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah, that was kind of what I meant. It comes across a bit as a Babby's First Existential Crisis, it's all kept very basic and superficial so that Simon can feel properly horrified by it, which really makes it not all that much of a twist or even necessarily horrifying to someone who is already familiar with the concept. The Golden Oecumene books actually go into questions like how much of a discontinuity of experience it would actually take for someone to not really be quite the same person anymore, or what exactly the legal status of a "forked" clone of your own consciousness would be. There's a pretty interesting anecdote told of someone who committed a crime, made a clone, and then underwent a massive neurological reconstruction that is usually profound enough in making the resulting individual affected not really quite the same person anymore. It's quickly pointed out as a really clever idea that would have worked perfectly, if only the law cared about that that kind of semantic trickery instead of just going after the instance they already know was the only who already existed when the crime was commited.

The entire trilogy is just full of that kind of thing and it was really one of the more interesting things I've ever read. Just the way it's so matter of fact about treating voluntary and habitual brain-washing and directed personality changes as mrore like getting a new haircut than even an invasive medical procedure.. It's a bit of an adjustment, getting into that kind of indset, but it's also really interesting and used consistently enough to let you pick up on upcoming plot twists that otherwise wouldn't make any sense when they happen.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I think the ending was great. It was definitely foreshadowed throughout the game, but it would definitely be easy to miss if you were kind of going through the motions. All the people into "continuity," Catherine mentioning the "coin toss" and telling Simon he's not listening to her... You can see it coming, but poor Simon just completely missed it.

The couple of times you have to choose whether or not to kill someone, particularly the last human alive really got to me - it was surprisingly difficult to decide. I was super impressed with the whole playthrough.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
We're fine with going to sleep. That's just the brain in another state. We're fine with anesthesia. Dreamless sleep. You can die and be resuscitated and you're still you. Anything with a new brain, too far. Clones? Useless. You die and the clone keeps living and you still die. Star Trek teleporters? Straight up killing yourself. Who cares if you're remaking the person from the same molecules. You got destroyed. You'd think they'd reconsider teleporters when they made two Rikers who lead very different lives. Proof positive you have hundreds of dead Rikers. Backing up your brain data? That's Soma and that's no good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sleep is actually just an altered state of consciousness, you're essentially never actually unconscious. You just don't form any memories during the times where it feels like you were, but you're actually still aware all night long.

Bit of a different situation from stepping into a teleporter in the clear understanding that you're about to bodily die as you are ripped apart into very, very small pieces and that a freshly-assembled clone of you is what's going to walk out the other side.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, that was kind of what I meant. It comes across a bit as a Babby's First Existential Crisis, it's all kept very basic and superficial so that Simon can feel properly horrified by it, which really makes it not all that much of a twist or even necessarily horrifying to someone who is already familiar with the concept.

Sure, I see what you're saying; you are well read in the concept and this is 101. So A) that's perfect for me and B) thinking about it more, I should clarify what the true horror of the ending was to me. It wasn't the concept of existential crisis now that I think about it - it was empathizing with him, realizing that it really doesn't matter now, who or what he is at the moment, or what happened to the copy, it[the horror] is what is going to be the rest of his currently reality - stuck down in the deep, dark abyss, alone with no silver lining. That actually got to me more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Professor of Cats posted:

Sure, I see what you're saying; you are well read in the concept and this is 101. So A) that's perfect for me and B) thinking about it more, I should clarify what the true horror of the ending was to me. It wasn't the concept of existential crisis now that I think about it - it was empathizing with him, realizing that it really doesn't matter now, who or what he is at the moment, or what happened to the copy, it[the horror] is what is going to be the rest of his currently reality - stuck down in the deep, dark abyss, alone with no silver lining. That actually got to me more than anything else.
Ye ah, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to invalidate the positive experience you had with the story Soma tells. It really just didn't work for me for the same reason it works particularly well for people who haven't had any real exposure to those ideas before: it's pretty much exactly the sort of questions and emotions people tend to go through when they're trying to really wrap their head around how muddled and fragile our sense of self can be.