Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

you should probably look at what some high-level DDR charts look like before you rag on those people, that's... pretty much how you're supposed to do it

like, i'm pretty sure this isn't even physically possible without breaking both your legs if you tried to "dance" it without bar-humping

e: I found a video of a guy doing it without the bar and he's basically holding his entire upper body mostly still while having a loving seizure from the waist down

Even this is relative tame for what some players are doing now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDVne0CFhm8&t=29s

I play near that level and the game is super fun and challenging, you just look kinda retarded doing it.

I appreciate the way beat saber is forcing motions though, the green screen videos of people slicing cubes look really really good.

Fano fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

that beat saber game looks like it takes more coordination to do a single song than i have ever collectively had across my entire life

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ciaphas posted:

that beat saber game looks like it takes more coordination to do a single song than i have ever collectively had across my entire life

Its a poo poo ton of fun. Its easy and normal modes exactly that so getting going is super easy. :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i bought it shortly after i posted because i realized i really need more excuses to get some fuckin' exercise

i got it

also is there some way i can set a 3rd person camera for e.g. replays and recording because i bet I look as insanely cool in VR as I look insanely dorky in rl

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ciaphas posted:

i bought it shortly after i posted because i realized i really need more excuses to get some fuckin' exercise

i got it

also is there some way i can set a 3rd person camera for e.g. replays and recording because i bet I look as insanely cool in VR as I look insanely dorky in rl

Liv.tv

Grab the software. Use obs to capture. Gonna need/want a green screen tho.

If you mean a literal in game camera, no.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Liv.tv

Grab the software. Use obs to capture. Gonna need/want a green screen tho.

If you mean a literal in game camera, no.

Yeah I meant like an ingame camera, like the one you can place in Job Simulator (or even one on a path based on the music oh my god that would rule)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fano posted:

Even this is relative tame for what some players are doing now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDVne0CFhm8&t=29s

I play near that level and the game is super fun and challenging, you just look kinda retarded doing it.

I appreciate the way beat saber is forcing motions though, the green screen videos of people slicing cubes look really really good.
I think that's true of most good rhythm games tbh, they're built around facades that fall apart at high levels of play. DDR is a "dancing" game but at the high end the metaphor is stripped away and its just pressing buttons with your feet. Just like Soundboxing is a "boxing" game but the most of the really technical tracks end up playing more like Para Para Paradise. Beat Saber is the same way that in expert and the side modes, the metaphor disappears and it turns into a very complicated polyrhythmic drumming game

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

homeless snail posted:

I think that's true of most good rhythm games tbh, they're built around facades that fall apart at high levels of play. DDR is a "dancing" game but at the high end the metaphor is stripped away and its just pressing buttons with your feet. Just like Soundboxing is a "boxing" game but the most of the really technical tracks end up playing more like Para Para Paradise. Beat Saber is the same way that in expert and the side modes, the metaphor disappears and it turns into a very complicated polyrhythmic drumming game

I think that the misnomer here is considering 'difficult' and more technical to be the highest level of play.

In my opinion, These people are playing DDR at a higher level than those in the twitchyfoot vids linked earlier.

That's why I would rather play Audioshield on midrange settings at most, and actually move and groove, than get a perfect on max level. my routine for Dynamite Rave was actually almost the same as the guy in the 2nd video, though less arm-flaily

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 4, 2018

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah but its not a matter of opinion because its a video game that scores you objectively. Freestyling is cool too but its a very very different thing

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

My opinion is that getting the highest objective score isn't the highest level of skilled play.

There is also a high level of "gently caress it do what you want to do" involved though, and if your heart soars when you wiggle your VR stick like a ravestick filled with cocaine, then rock it out, I guess.

I can never even know... but somehow, I'll still judge you...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I mean its like, are the Harlem Globetrotters gonna win the NBA playoffs? No they objectively suck at The Sport of Basketball. But I also have a lot more fun watching the Globetrotters than actual basketball. Not gonna disagree that the DDR freestyler is more fun to watch subjectively and that freestyling is a skill in and of itself, but that's also playing the game at a much lower level objectively as laid out by the mechanics of DDR because that's how video games work. Freestyle is barely even playing the game, its using an arcade cabinet as a stage.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

excuse me but the globetrotters could show lebron a thing or two about the sport!!!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I'm looking for a game that combines calisthenics with precision shooting, a bit like Olympic biathlon (cross country skiing + target shooting).

Does such a thing exist in VR?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm looking for a game that combines calisthenics with precision shooting, a bit like Olympic biathlon (cross country skiing + target shooting).

I haven't tried it but I've heard people kinda like the Natural Locomotion app, converts jogging in place to thumbstick motions so it works in lots of games. You could use it in your murder game of choice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ShadowHawk posted:

Hotdogs Horseshoes and Handgrenades would probably fix that itch. Especially the Take and Hold mode with the arm-waving movement type.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

Go to the future and get Echo Combat

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I think that the misnomer here is considering 'difficult' and more technical to be the highest level of play.

In my opinion, These people are playing DDR at a higher level than those in the twitchyfoot vids linked earlier.

That's why I would rather play Audioshield on midrange settings at most, and actually move and groove, than get a perfect on max level. my routine for Dynamite Rave was actually almost the same as the guy in the 2nd video, though less arm-flaily

Years and years back I used to play DDR a loving poo poo load. Even traveled around few states to attend several tournaments. The freestyle stuff was only in the very first tourney I was at, then people started to get better at the game and the guys that wanted to just dance around were left behind as everyone else was far more interested in being the most accurate on the hardest songs. I don't think the two need to be compared in similar ways because neither used the game for the same objective. One aimed to entertain a crowd, the other aimed for perfection on the hardest songs.

Personally, I think the freestyle stuff looks neat, but get off the machine I've got some 10 footers to try to get SDG's on.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Has anyone tried playing one saber mode with a groin-affixed controller yet? Probably won't be too hard if you turned directional boxes off.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Republicans posted:

Has anyone tried playing one saber mode with a groin-affixed controller yet? Probably won't be too hard if you turned directional boxes off.

just lol if you can't accurately thrust in various directions

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
After playing Beat Saber for an hour without realising it I definitely see it being a permanent fixture on "Recommend me a VR game" lists for a long time to come. Although I knew it was probably going to be good I never expected it to be this awesome. The presentation is top notch, the beat placement and direction works beautifully for every song and the OST is great. I play through the songs on Normal first and then try to survive/get an A on Hard because I'm not the best at these games and I'm having an absolute blast. I'd place it up there with Thumper for sheer quality alone, it really knocks it out of the park.

E: Also lol if you're not overcommiting to every swing like you were trying to murder someone with a hammer. gently caress your wrist-flicking dandiness, go hog wild and look like a dingus in the process.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Are Beat Saber's music files lying around in a directory somewhere? Only reason why I am resisting picking it up is because there's not a soundtrack edition.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hellsau posted:

just lol if you can't accurately thrust in various directions

It would probably horrible for your back, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think I'm playing H3VR right, but I'm not quite sure...

That's a normal American handgun, right?

Hoo-boy, my 1080 did not like trying to simultaneously render three scopes.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Okay I finally got to play some Beat Saber for the first time.

Initial impression: Every single person playing VR should buy this game, and also show to their friends. It's possibly even worth purchasing VR solely to play this game. It's all of the best things from DDR, but you get to swing swords instead of stomping with your feet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Does it have any good music though? I'm a dumb old fashioned person who mostly listens to poo poo like punk and ska and ancient pop music and I really don't like these games enough to enjoy them unless I get to listen to good music while at it. :v:

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I think the soundtrack is excellent. It's EDM but well done

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Truga posted:

Does it have any good music though? I'm a dumb old fashioned person who mostly listens to poo poo like punk and ska and ancient pop music and I really don't like these games enough to enjoy them unless I get to listen to good music while at it. :v:

As someone with similar musical tastes to you, I just looked up the soundtrack and found it…alright. The wubwub song in the steam video really turned me off of the game cus I just really dislike that style of music, but the rest of the game’s soundtrack seems better. I guess just look on youtube and see what you think. I don’t really like the songs enough that I’d buy the game on my own, but the thread seems so hype on the game that I’m considering picking it up now.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given the poo poo mounted on guns customers have brought in, yes.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Truga posted:

If you’re a hipster who listens to ska and punk to be cool. maybe not. If you’re into fun music that’ll make you shake your butt. You’ll enjoy it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

EbolaIvory posted:

If you...listen..to ska...to be cool

As someone who listens to ska, lmao

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lol pretty sure nobody has listened to ska to be cool in like 20 years

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CodfishCartographer posted:

As someone who listens to ska, lmao

:same:
e:

AndrewP posted:

Lol pretty sure nobody has listened to ska to be cool in like 13 billion years

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Ugh. The right eye on my Rift isn’t powering on. I contacted their support, but they’re famously slow. When I had to have my facial interface replaced it took a week and 4 back and forth exchanges, for a $25 part.

Sorry just had to whine about not getting to play anymore Skyrim VR for a couple weeks.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

bobfather posted:

Ugh. The right eye on my Rift isn’t powering on. I contacted their support, but they’re famously slow. When I had to have my facial interface replaced it took a week and 4 back and forth exchanges, for a $25 part.

Sorry just had to whine about not getting to play anymore Skyrim VR for a couple weeks.

Remount the hdmi cord to your Rift. I had the same issue and it was just the cord that was loose.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Nah, it’s not how the cord is plugged in from either end of the cord. Tried that already.

The cord itself might have gone bad, which is likely I guess also.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Truga posted:

They have custom songs + an editor in their roadmap, so look forward to being able to put anything you want on there.

If it's anything like any other rhythm game community, there will be some pretty high quality song charts made buried under a sea of lovely J-pop and anime OVAs.

Out of the existing songs, Escape is probably my favorite.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Obsurveyor posted:

Are Beat Saber's music files lying around in a directory somewhere? Only reason why I am resisting picking it up is because there's not a soundtrack edition.

The sound track is available on like every music platform.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

rage-saq posted:

The sound track is available on like every music platform.

Cool, thanks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fano posted:

They have custom songs + an editor in their roadmap, so look forward to being able to put anything you want on there.

If it's anything like any other rhythm game community, there will be some pretty high quality song charts made buried under a sea of lovely J-pop and anime OVAs.

Out of the existing songs, Escape is probably my favorite.

Minor :goonsay:, but the acronym you're looking for is anime OP's (Opening theme). OVA's (Original Video Animation) are like short direct-to-DVD miniseries shows, or one-off specials.

And yes, saying a rhythm game will get flooded with a sea of lovely J-Pop and anime OP's/ED's is like saying water is wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hotdogs Horseshoes and Handgrenades would probably fix that itch. Especially the Take and Hold mode with the arm-waving movement type.

This. I found the best way to run long distance (especially in the H13VR zombie mode) was to do a skiing motion. Lets you build up a poo poo load of momentum. It also adds extra amusement for anyone watching :v:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wish I saved the video of the monstrosity I built on an AR- it had about 5 lasers, 2 tac lights, 3 reflex sights, 4 scopes, and a good number of flags. When I used the CMAG drum, all the ejected casings got caught between it and the scopes.

Also you need more christmas lights