Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I read Problem Sleuth after seeing roughly one hojillion people with avatars from it, then went right to Homestuck after that thinking how could this possibly be any better???

:v:

I started reading on the page where John freaks out over the box of Gushers in his dad's room, for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

President Ark posted:

I started reading on the page where John freaks out over the box of Gushers in his dad's room,

I recommend starting on the first page for the complete experience, but to each his own. :shepface:

I came to this thread, saw the reposts of the gamzee-getting-scratched panels, wondered what the gently caress was up, went to the site, blitzed Problem Sleuth in one night, caught up to Homestuck about 4 days later, been here ever since.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Fucknag posted:

I recommend starting on the first page for the complete experience, but to each his own. :shepface:

I came to this thread, saw the reposts of the gamzee-getting-scratched panels, wondered what the gently caress was up, went to the site, blitzed Problem Sleuth in one night, caught up to Homestuck about 4 days later, been here ever since.

I'm not going out on a limb here to ask you how much crystal meth you used to be able to get through PS in one night and up to the Clownpocalypse in HS in four days.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Midnight Raider posted:

I'm not going out on a limb here to ask you how much crystal meth you used to be able to get through PS in one night and up to the Clownpocalypse in HS in four days.

It's not all that crazy. I more or less matched that speed when I read it, and I definitely know a few people who can read faster. Your brain turns to mush for about a week after.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think I joined in the fun about halfway through Problem Sleuth's initial run, at the very least I remember being able to submit a couple of my own suggestions to the pile. So about four years ago.

... :psyduck:

It seriously doesn't feel like it's been that long.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That's about how long it took me to get up to Cascade in a reread, but that was a reread, and it was still a pretty draining experience. Though it might've gone faster if I hadn't been pestering a friend about every instance of foreshadowing that I hadn't noticed my first time through.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I think I joined in the fun about halfway through Problem Sleuth's initial run, at the very least I remember being able to submit a couple of my own suggestions to the pile. So about four years ago.

... :psyduck:

It seriously doesn't feel like it's been that long.

I think I started reading around the beginning of the Mobster Kingpin fight.

After that, I've never complained about slow pacing in Homestuck.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Man aren't you gonna look silly when the climax of the story revolves around using voodoo to make a dead body do the limbo and me and the rest of the W@B2 fandom is laughin' it up on tumblr!

The body being undead only when the music was playing was legitimately the only fun idea in that entire movie, and I wouldn't mind Hussie appropriating some form of it.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman
I started reading mspa around the beginning of Act 6 when I happened to stumble onto the website while trying to find another. I started reading Homestuck until John went downstairs. Then I realized that more comics had come before Homestuck. I read Problem Sleuth in a few weeks, then Jailbreak. Then I caught up on Homestuck in a couple of months.

I got my friend into mspa by showing him the beginning of Problem Sleuth and how funny it was.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
If anyone in here plays TF2 (why am I even asking, of course you do), someone in the Games thread pointed out an Eyelander re-skin you might like:

come ON

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Scratch-O posted:

If anyone in here plays TF2 (why am I even asking, of course you do), someone in the Games thread pointed out an Eyelander re-skin you might like:

come ON

IMO, it'd be better if it had the same effect as in the comic, where the Demoman's hands would turn into outlines with jpeg artifaction.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Treestuck posted:

I CANNOT TYPE NO ENERGETICALLY ENOUGH YOU LEAVE THE MAYOR ALONE HE IS PRECIOUS AND GOOD AND THE BEST MOST SWEETEST MOST WONDERFUL THING IN THIS COMIC DONT YOU

DARE

With every passing liveblog post, my anticipation for her reaching Cascade grows and grows.

It's gonna be one hell of an update :allears:

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Color Printer posted:

With every passing liveblog post, my anticipation for her reaching Cascade grows and grows.

It's gonna be one hell of an update :allears:

Hahaha, I was just about to post this. It's true, her reaction to Cascade is going to be amazing.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Im really waiting for her to get to Aradia's ancestor's part. She already feels Doc Scratch is creepy now. :allears:

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Treestuck's joy at hearing "Dad" and then realsing she'd made a mistake is great.

quote:

what? Fedora freak isn’t Dad? WHO WAS THE ADORABLE PERSON THEN? THE ADORABLE… URINE DRINKING PERSON OKAY THAT’S PRETTY GROSS BUT THE HAT GLEE WHO WAS THAT?

FedoraFreak is the best.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Popo posted:

FedoraFreak is the best.

I am still hoping that Hussie will expand more upon fedoraFreak. Maybe it will be in the commentary of a book.

edit: How far along are we into the hiatus? I'm starting to experience withdrawal symptoms.

Doug Rattman fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 10, 2012

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
This saturday will mark 2 weeks since caliborn:enter.

Not much longer now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We're officially past the estimated halfway point, in other words.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

While you guys are waiting for Homestuck to resume, you can play around with the Homestuck Gmod Playset
http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1186520 Info Link
http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=131889 Download Link
Apparently right as it got released, people flagged it because it's Homestuck :( It's not malicious, me and my sister downloaded it and it's fine! It is a little buggy though, but that's to be expected. It has every character, a bunch of weapons, hugging, a corpse-smooching mechanic, and interchangeable glasses accessories

clockwork chaos fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 10, 2012

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

clockwork chaos posted:

It is a little buggy though, but that's to be expected. It has every character, a bunch of weapons, hugging, a corpse-smooching mechanic, and interchangeable glasses accessories

Plus, something that you will either love or hate: Automatic plaintext to troll quirk convertors.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Wow, that looks pretty decent. I'm not big in garry's mod, but that looks interesting enough to try. Can you still only use TF2 models in source filmmaker, or have they expanded to any source compatible files?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

A long time ago I had wanted to make a Left 4 Dead 2 map out of the Felt Mansion but I gave up pretty quick because I didn't have any models for the Midnight Crew.

I wonder if I still have those files around...

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Desfore posted:

Wow, that looks pretty decent. I'm not big in garry's mod, but that looks interesting enough to try. Can you still only use TF2 models in source filmmaker, or have they expanded to any source compatible files?

GMod and Source Filmaker are two different things. Gmod works with any Source Engine game. Get it here

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Desfore posted:

^^^
But to answer your question, people have managed to load custom models into SFM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyK2o0wr9x4

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Andrew Hussie guests for Dinosaur Comics

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Triskelli posted:

^^^
But to answer your question, people have managed to load custom models into SFM.

Another example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXEnIfSrnFo

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Which Sega game compilation's menu music does Sunslammer remind me of?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

I don't know, but I do know it reminds me of half the songs from Sonic Adventure.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Bongo Bill posted:

Just keep in mind, if there's a Genesis song stuck in your head and you just can't seem to pinpoint its identity, it was probably one of the menus from Sega Channel. This has happened to me at least six times.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Are there any good remixes of The Ballad of Jack Noir? It gives me a good Wario Land vibe and I'm hoping there's some more "dark" chiptunes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DaveKap posted:

I don't know, but I do know it reminds me of half the songs from Sonic Adventure.

It reminds me a bit of Starlight Zone from Sonic 1. Actually, now that you said it, it reminds me of anything in any Genesis Sonic game. And that's awesome.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It reminds me a lot of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Little Rocket Knight Adventures too. But yeah, you could basically say any Sonic game, or heck, any Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Was it made using the tools the Genesis/Mega Drive used?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do you folks think of this random tumblr theory? I'm not sure, myself.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I doubt that's what's precisely what's going on, but I definitely think Equius has something else to do in the story.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

I just finished Problem Sleuth having decided to finally get around to reading it. I quite enjoyed it. I think it helped that this time I read quickly and tried not to think too hard about it. The super-long DMK battle wasn't so bad since I knew about it in advance.

Compared to Homestuck there is definitely a noticeable shallowness and lack of emotional resonance due to the greater silliness and lack of character-building (Homestuck having actual dialogue makes a huge difference of course), but it was still fun, and it was nice to see the origin of some of the tropes and references later used in Homestuck.

Also now I appreciate this avatar more I guess?

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I'd really love the thought of Equius not being permanently vaporized, and would be happy at him getting some role in the story again, however minor, but this theory feels like a bit of a stretch to me. I think they might be giving the ol' lovable horsefriend just a bit too much credit, especially since if any dead troll still has a chance to make a meaningful resurfacing, it's probably Vriska, and even that I'm not holding my breath on.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Neither far fetched enough, nor plausible enough to be engaging. Smacks of wishful thinking. I give it a two on the objective five point "[X] Is Turning Evil" scale.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 12, 2012

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

It's really lovely and bad.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
I don't know why people are assuming that, because Equius is appearing in normal clothes and appearance in these dream bubbles, he was the 'alpha Equius' that was killed by Gamzee. This could be just any old Equius from dream Feferi or dream Eridan or Aradiabot #413's beta timeline.

I want to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The trolls generated a lot of failed timelines. Equius' death was definitely the most final of all the characters pronounced dead on-panel, though. He got to say goodbye to Nepeta and appeared to have no unfinished development. His ancestor didn't have a huge role, either - Aranea didn't even mention a Zahhak! - and we got no sense of what he thought of Darkleer anyway, so that's a dead end as well.

He was there to round out the zodiac, establish that Void powers trump all known forms of omniscience, and appreciate horses. He performed these tasks admirably! Narratively speaking, stick a fork in him.