Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

To Catch a Beer Predator:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20131204/NEWS02/312040007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Me in Reverse posted:

That link just takes me to a "Download Instagram" splash page

If you're viewing it on mobile, yeah - here's the image:

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
re: DC/NoVa BCBCS. I was just at Westover Market about an hour ago, they had one case of coffee left. It's pricey as expected at that place, but that's the only place I've heard of/seen it being left. Whole Foods in Tysons said they'd be getting BCBS Thursday but didn't say anything about variants.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
BCBS for all! Bomb for some! Hey, FW XVII (which I wasn't terribly impressed with but whatevs), sup!? Oh, and after all that we get... the 2013 Bug Hugs label:

http://halfacrebeer.com/blog/

Extinction by kitty. This is pretty good but not on the level of last year's:

E: Oh, and the beer is pretty solid, too.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

nosleep posted:

re: DC/NoVa BCBCS. I was just at Westover Market about an hour ago, they had one case of coffee left. It's pricey as expected at that place, but that's the only place I've heard of/seen it being left. Whole Foods in Tysons said they'd be getting BCBS Thursday but didn't say anything about variants.

Bottle limit on the coffee? Not gonna drive an hour for a single bottle... I don't think I am.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Trying Sweet Repute right now. Reminds me a ton of a less-chocolately BB4D. Insane booze in the flavor, hot as gently caress. Roasted marshmallows all over the place, melanoiden explosion.

Pretty good!

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Cbear posted:

Bottle limit on the coffee? Not gonna drive an hour for a single bottle... I don't think I am.

No limit and it's in 4 packs. I am very happy I live close by.

edit: I'd definitely call. They're not limiting it so who knows who might swoop in and buy it all.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Are any of you Chicago guys going to even bother chasing Abyss? The one bottle I had was far too bitter fresh; if I wanted an aging stout besides BCBS (which I also basically already blew my wad buying) I'd buy the far cheaper (and better) Expedition.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

crazyfish posted:

Are any of you Chicago guys going to even bother chasing Abyss? The one bottle I had was far too bitter fresh; if I wanted an aging stout besides BCBS (which I also basically already blew my wad buying) I'd buy the far cheaper (and better) Expedition.

Probably not. I have spent a whole bunch on BCBS variants and some other stuff lately, and TBH I wasn't super impressed with Abyss when I had it at FOBAB.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

nosleep posted:

No limit and it's in 4 packs. I am very happy I live close by.

edit: I'd definitely call. They're not limiting it so who knows who might swoop in and buy it all.

I called. They have two four packs left and I'm driving there now. Well see what happens!

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Cbear posted:

I called. They have two four packs left and I'm driving there now. Well see what happens!

Good luck man. I have faith.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A friend called me while in a store picking up his reserved BCBS. Said they still had some and reserved some for me too. Now I have two bottles. Yay! :shobon:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

crazyfish posted:

I personally always find Abyss to be woody and astringent. I don't even think its a particularly good beer.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Virigoth posted:

Has anyone seen anything out of the Upland sour lottery drawing yet? I don't see a time listed anywhere on my ticket notification except for Dec 4th.

About 3/4 of the people I work with at Hoppin Frog signed up, a total of 15 people. None of us won - wtf?

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

nosleep posted:

Good luck man. I have faith.

Got the last 4-pack of coffee! Thanks man!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Cbear posted:

Lucky!

Also holy crap is BCBBarelywine amazing. Never had KH, but this might be the best barleywine I've had.
Makes me excited to get Straight Jacket since crazyfish raved about that one. Yay Chicago :P

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Picked up a second bottle of Backyard Rye on my way home tonight. Huzzah!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Goons randomly coming across bottles of Backyard and Proprietors gives me faith that the trade value will normalize over time. Hopefully I can trade for a bottle of each in person at some point in the near future.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

This event got posted on BA so if you want any of this you will probably have to fight insane crowds, but if you Chicago dudes haven't gotten any BCBS variants, this may be your chance. http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/event_page/48.php?id=1941

quote:

Join us at 1550 Bar inside Whole Foods for an amazing Bourbon County event.

On Tap:
Bourbon County Stout
Bourbon County Coffee Stout
Bourbon County Barleywine
Backyard Rye Bourbon County Stout
Cherry Rye Bourbon County Stout
Lolita

For Purchase:
4pks of Bourbon County Stout (Limit 3)
4pks of Bourbon County Coffee Stout (Limit 1)
4pks of Bourbon County Barleywine (Limit 1)
22oz Backyard Rye Bourbon County Stout (Limit 1)
22oz Proprietors Bourbon County Stout (Limit 1)

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
Just cracked open a Coffee Bender from Surly. I still have yet to have a beer that more perfectly captures a coffee flavor and aroma, it seriously tastes like good cold brewed coffee, carbonated.
So glad I can now get this stuff at will.

(Still haven't found any bottles of BCBCS, but this is worthy consolation)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Angry Grimace posted:

I personally always find Abyss to be woody and astringent. I don't even think its a particularly good beer.

I agree. I'd be interested in trying it with a significant amount of time on it but even the one year old bottle I had wasn't smooth. It- like a lot of Deschutes stuff - is pretty overrated.

Beer report: Perennial and Penrose's Hereafter starts out really solid. More tart than I expected, and the fruit comes out nicely. My bottle settled weirdly, though. The first glass was a a golden color. The last was a much darker reddish, with a ton of sediment. Not surprisingly, the later sips have a heavy yeast flavor. The first half of the bottle makes me even more excited for Penrose's opening. The second half I am going to blame on Perennial.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

umop apisdn posted:

Just cracked open a Coffee Bender from Surly. I still have yet to have a beer that more perfectly captures a coffee flavor and aroma, it seriously tastes like good cold brewed coffee, carbonated.
So glad I can now get this stuff at will.

(Still haven't found any bottles of BCBCS, but this is worthy consolation)

Just wait until you try this year's BCBCS.

I don't know whether this belongs in the BIF thread, the homebrew thread, or this one, but I just cracked open one of Docjowles' homebrew BA sour porters. This is pretty good. When I first poured the bottle I mostly smelled whiskey but taking the glass to my nose, it's mostly funk and sour with tiny hints of roast in there. The taste is mostly bretty and sour but then you get a nice roasty coffee note that creeps up afterward. I don't get a whole lot of booze heat, though the beer may be a bit cold at the moment. I was a bit worried about the lowish carbonation but it doesn't really detract from my enjoyment of the beer. Out of curiosity, what sort of bugs did you pitch in the barrel? It definitely doesn't taste like plain lacto.

For reference, I have had exactly one example of a soured porter, and that was Zwet.be from 3 Fonteinen. Zwet.be was like a porter first and a sour second and this almost tastes like a sour first and a porter second, but don't take that as an insult - it's very good and I can't wait to share the other bottle with some people.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Any goon reviews on proprietors? Deciding if its worth my left kidney in trade value.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Cbear posted:

Any goon reviews on proprietors? Deciding if its worth my left kidney in trade value.

No matter how good it is, it's not worth some of the things I've seen it going for...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Cbear posted:

I'll let you know after Saturday. I'm predicting that it's going to be very good but probably not better than Vanilla, Rare, Baudoinia, or Coffee '13. It will almost definitely be better than Cherry Rye.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kudosx posted:

No matter how good it is, it's not worth some of the things I've seen it going for...

Well, if it's the best beer ever then it's worth everything it's trading for...

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I am hit or miss on most coconut stuff in general. So I won't trade the farm for it. Hopefully some dumb rich guy in a bottleshare in DC will get it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Cbear posted:

I am hit or miss on most coconut stuff in general. So I won't trade the farm for it. Hopefully some dumb rich guy in a bottleshare in DC will get it.

If you don't particularly care for coconut, it's silly to spend all your trade ammo on something that's ultra hyped but obviously not worth it to you.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

crazyfish posted:

I don't know whether this belongs in the BIF thread, the homebrew thread, or this one, but I just cracked open one of Docjowles' homebrew BA sour porters. This is pretty good. When I first poured the bottle I mostly smelled whiskey but taking the glass to my nose, it's mostly funk and sour with tiny hints of roast in there. The taste is mostly bretty and sour but then you get a nice roasty coffee note that creeps up afterward. I don't get a whole lot of booze heat, though the beer may be a bit cold at the moment. I was a bit worried about the lowish carbonation but it doesn't really detract from my enjoyment of the beer. Out of curiosity, what sort of bugs did you pitch in the barrel? It definitely doesn't taste like plain lacto.

Glad you didn't pick the homebrew thread :) I haven't had time to brew in months so I've stopped following it for now.

Anyway I honestly don't know what bugs were in the barrel. New Belgium themselves had used it for something and then just let us put our beer into it when they were done. So, uh, probably whatever mix of critters goes into La Folie.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

If you want to see if you like it, get a french press and some toasted coconut and infuse a BCBS with it. If you like that, you will probably like Proprietor's.

edit:

Docjowles posted:

Glad you didn't pick the homebrew thread :) I haven't had time to brew in months so I've stopped following it for now.

Anyway I honestly don't know what bugs were in the barrel. New Belgium themselves had used it for something and then just let us put our beer into it when they were done. So, uh, probably whatever mix of critters goes into La Folie.

Nice! I gave a small sample to my wife who likes an extremely limited range of beer (mostly BA English barleywines and fruited sours) and she said "I don't know what this tastes like, but it's not bad" which I would say you should take as a compliment :)

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 5, 2013

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I think I'll be satisfied not trading my coffee for it then. This years coffee is probably a top 5 beer for me in my young beer nerd career.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Cbear posted:

Yes! Everyone is talking about how good the BCBCS is and me also being a coffee nerd I can't wait to try it. It's made with Intelligentsia beans which is one of the top roasters in the country. It's two of my favorite things made into one.

I'm saving one for the weekend.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Kudosx posted:

About 3/4 of the people I work with at Hoppin Frog signed up, a total of 15 people. None of us won - wtf?

I love right down the street from their tasting room. I'm considering trolling around the last/day after of pickup to try to score some.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Holiday Wine Cellar was mentioned a few pages back, for those of you who have ordered from the website have you had good experiences? I find it a little concerning that they don't mention anything about how they handle situations with broken bottles or busted cans on their faq.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Sorry if this has been asked, but are Stone going to brew a batch of Enjoy By that expires in January? Thinking it'll make a good gift if the date lies after Christmas.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Backwoods Bastard is so good this year. Wow.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Docjowles posted:

I still have one of your bottles from last year that I'm going to open in a few weeks. It's one of the better homebrew beers I've had!

katkillad2 posted:

Holiday Wine Cellar was mentioned a few pages back, for those of you who have ordered from the website have you had good experiences? I find it a little concerning that they don't mention anything about how they handle situations with broken bottles or busted cans on their faq.

They've been in business a LONG time. It's the sort of place that you could call if you had an issue and they'd make it right. Also, having been doing the online shipping thing for a while I can't imagine they do anything less than a solid job of packing their boxes. Most of the online beer stores know it's in their best interest to keep their merchandise whole.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Whats the consensus on Sweet Repute?
I scored a bottle yesterday at my bottle shop ... but a friend may have scored a case at a distributor, which would would split 3 or 4 ways..

Is this beer worth investing in?

Edit : Also the Backyard Rye as I scored two bottles and was thinking of trading one while the value is high

Vertigo fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 5, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

EDIT: I take it back, people are starting to ask for Sweet Repute with some pretty nice offers.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

crazyfish posted:

This event got posted on BA so if you want any of this you will probably have to fight insane crowds, but if you Chicago dudes haven't gotten any BCBS variants, this may be your chance. http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/event_page/48.php?id=1941

Planning on hitting this up since I've been out of town since before thanksgiving. What I'm debating is how early to get there given that it's going to be balls cold out...