Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is that Castlevania a new one, or a re-release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Going forward nothing with the Castlevania name is going to be anything other than a re-release or a pachinko machine.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Phantasium posted:

Going forward nothing with the Castlevania name is going to be anything other than a re-release or a pachinko machine.

Don't rule out an all-zombie survival crafting Castlevania.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

thexerox123 posted:

Don't be so sure... there are a couple of other Ace Attorney games that they haven't even localized yet and don't really plan to.
Right, I don't expect to have the Investigations games or that Sherlock one at all ever, but this is Ace Attorney 4 and they've already released 1-3, 5 and 6 on the eshop. As far as I can recall, they released 1-3 not too long after coming out with the mobile versions. Maybe I'm just getting my hopes up but I only got into the series with Dual Destinies and I'd really like to play Apollo Justice without having to fork out for a DS cart.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Yeah I'd like to play all of them but having to hunt down DS carts is a problem living abroad.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

New MN rewards are up.
By new I mean you can get Flipnote 3D again.

And Europe got a 20% discount on that 3DS Ghost Recon... right after I bought it.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

2017 better be the year when I get to play Protect Me Knight 2.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's Japan's New Year eShop sale - upt to 50% off lots of first- and third-party games for 3DS and some first-party games for Wii U, including the first-ever discount for Shovel Knight: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/campaign/newyearsale2017/

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's Japan's New Year eShop sale - upt to 50% off lots of first- and third-party games for 3DS and some first-party games for Wii U, including the first-ever discount for Shovel Knight: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/campaign/newyearsale2017/

I predict the US New Year eShop sale will have up to 50% off lots of nothing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Coldforge posted:

I predict the US New Year eShop sale will have up to 50% off lots of nothing.

Don't be so cynical. I'm sure that there will be substantial discounts on Nothing Any Sane Person Would Ever Buy.*

*Available on all platforms from now until forever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hopefully they put some picross e games on sale. I could use more picross puzzles.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

In Training posted:

Hopefully they put some picross e games on sale. I could use more picross puzzles.

Same but I'm also hoping for a gotta protectors sale.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
3D world, Tropical Freeze or Bayonetta 1?

I can't decide. :argh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alteisen posted:

Get and play all three. They're all piss cheap now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Got bayonetta 1 and 2 combo off eBay for $50

Sorry that's my story just wanted to share, never played the games so am excited

Does Nintendo ever have games on sale

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Got bayonetta 1 and 2 combo off eBay for $50

Sorry that's my story just wanted to share, never played the games so am excited

Does Nintendo ever have games on sale

You're in the thread where we talk about the sales Nintendo is having.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

:thejoke:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The joke is your ignorance? idgi

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Apparently, the birthday month discounts stack with the regular store ones, at least at the moment.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hadji murad posted:

What does one play after the AA Trilogy?

Ghost Trick

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alteisen posted:

Tropical Freeze then Bayonetta then 3D World

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Augus posted:

Tropical Freeze then Bayonetta then 3D World

I don't think the order you hand them to the GameStop cashier really matters.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Been playing some couch co-op and Child of Light is really good on the Wii U, it's an artistic RPG with puzzle platforming segments. Some easy-to-learn but decently deep stat management with the Oculi minerals you let your characters carry for battles. We beat the game in 2 days, but there are some post-game missions.

Affordable Space Adventures on Technical (hard) if you're both smart and patient enough to get through it. Never played a game with such tight, time sensitive puzzles, with a complex set of controls (at least for the Gamepad user) that I like.

Another good one I played way back was How to Survive. Just a zombie survival/bullet conservation game. But really fun and had some character. (A Yakov Smirnoff-like character narrates all the instruction manual sequences.)

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Pokémon snap tomorrow on Wii U. How is no one talking about this yet?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fritzler posted:

Unless they're adding gamepad stuff, I already have Pokemon Snap on the Wii section of my Wii U.

Now Snap on 3DS, that would be worth talking about.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Unless they're adding gamepad stuff, I already have Pokemon Snap on the Wii section of my Wii U.

Now Snap on 3DS, that would be worth talking about.

Ah. I don't have a classic controller, so I'll be getting it for use with Pro Controller/gamepad (no extra gamepad stuff though, just a regular VC release).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Fritzler posted:

whats to say that hasnt been said in the 18 years since it was released

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fritzler posted:

Ah. I don't have a classic controller, so I'll be getting it for use with Pro Controller/gamepad (no extra gamepad stuff though, just a regular VC release).

Oh, fair enough, I hadn't thought of that situation! Man, I wish I could play that game on the gamepad or 3DS, though.

I guess it might come to Switch?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
After watching Microsoft do backwards compatibility for free, I'm going to be pissed when Nintendo says "please understand, you need to buy virtual console games again to play them on the switch."

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Spacebump posted:

After watching Microsoft do backwards compatibility for free, I'm going to be pissed when Nintendo says "please understand, you need to buy virtual console games again to play them on the switch."

I'll be ok with it.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Spacebump posted:

And only as they're gradually released since they'll probably start from scratch yet again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

I'll be ok with it.

I hope I can play all my VC games on Switch...having stuff like Metroid Prime 1, Rondo of Blood and Super Mario World on the go sounds godlike

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spacebump posted:

You mean the games largely built on middleware engines designed to be ported to drat-near anything, instead of hardcoded for hardware over a decade old?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean the games largely built on middleware engines designed to be ported to drat-near anything, instead of hardcoded for hardware over a decade old?

Eh, they clearly went to a lot of work just to get multi-disc games working for BC, it wasn't all easy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thexerox123 posted:

Eh, they clearly went to a lot of work just to get multi-disc games working for BC, it wasn't all easy.

That kind of fix is simple and universal though, and it's about as complex as "When Disk_Change_wait triggers, GOTO Disk2.iso"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You assume that games back then used standard system calls for things like this, even in the cases where those even existed.
It's much more likely that every third game uses its own slightly different implementation to poll for a disc change, some of those being indistinguishable from the one that streams BGM music from the disk which is called thousands of time per second or something like that.

Add to that that they usually don't have any source code for older games (mostly japanese ones), so there's no easy way to look up how a game does what either.

Have fun programming around hundreds of edge cases

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That kind of fix is simple and universal though, and it's about as complex as "When Disk_Change_wait triggers, GOTO Disk2.iso"

Microsoft's engineers were actively working on it for at least half a year, so... I'm guessing that's not what it was like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HenryEx posted:

You assume that games back then used standard system calls for things like this, even in the cases where those even existed.
It's much more likely that every third game uses its own slightly different implementation to poll for a disc change, some of those being indistinguishable from the one that streams BGM music from the disk which is called thousands of time per second or something like that.

Add to that that they usually don't have any source code for older games (mostly japanese ones), so there's no easy way to look up how a game does what either.

Have fun programming around hundreds of edge cases

Okay, I get that. I'd have thought even that would be pretty close to a hang state though, wouldn't it?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love Nintendo but the way fanboys rush to defend everything they do is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Give me Nintendo or give me death.