Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hoiyes
May 17, 2007
They lose hard to brobots, especially of the advanced sensor / predator variety. Excellent range control, decent block of life to survive a couple of rounds in the DangerZone and the green dice to laugh of 2 dice primary. I'd imagine Ultra dash & ghost/Vrill would also chew them up with little remorse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Rol Le
Feb 5, 2015

The Gate posted:

Will the Brobots continue their reign of terror into week two?! Let's check and see what the next list they'll be faci- :stare:

Oh well then good luck ol' murderbot chaps. We hardly knew ye. De Rol Le, PM me or hit me up on Steam, I'm Mr. Papaya on there.

:golfclap:

If I have any power at all, I will do this. For you. For all of us.

I will add you on steam when I get back from game night. This should be a fun match.

I really don't have a setup for streaming, but if we can work something out, I 'm game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

De Rol Le posted:

I will add you on steam when I get back from game night. This should be a fun match.

I really don't have a setup for streaming, but if we can work something out, I 'm game.

If we can coordinate, I'd be willing to figure out the streaming.

Or maybe Corbeau can do it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

canyonero and I are going to do our league game if anyone wants to watch. Goons Being Goons, pass is lljk.

De Rol Le
Feb 5, 2015

Some Numbers posted:

If we can coordinate, I'd be willing to figure out the streaming.

Or maybe Corbeau can do it.

Cool. The gate and I will try to figure out a time and date, and then we will post here and see if we can make it work.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The problem with 5x Autoblaster Y-Wings is from a pure logistical standpoint in that you need five Y-Wings and five copies of Autoblaster Turret, which is a significant investment to play a list that I can only imagine isn't actually very fun in a casual loving around sense. It's very competitive, yes, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kai Tave posted:

The problem with 5x Autoblaster Y-Wings is from a pure logistical standpoint in that you need five Y-Wings and five copies of Autoblaster Turret, which is a significant investment to play a list that I can only imagine isn't actually very fun in a casual loving around sense. It's very competitive, yes, but that's a different kettle of fish.

There are lists that poo poo on this but most of them were driven off by palp aces and jumpmasters.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kai Tave posted:

To be quite honest, I love flying against weird poo poo like this. I'd laugh my rear end off if I lost because bravo. Same thing if I ran into a 4 space cow list, or that ridiculous Dead Man's Switch Z95 swarm.

Half the fun of playing X-Wing, even competitively, is figuring out how to solve the puzzle presented by a list you've never seen.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ConfusedUs posted:

To be quite honest, I love flying against weird poo poo like this. I'd laugh my rear end off if I lost because bravo. Same thing if I ran into a 4 space cow list, or that ridiculous Dead Man's Switch Z95 swarm.

Half the fun of playing X-Wing, even competitively, is figuring out how to solve the puzzle presented by a list you've never seen.

Sure, me too, I'm just throwing it out there that it's going to cost you a bit of money to assemble it unless you trade/borrow from other people, it's not "casual" in the sense that you can do it with the stuff you have from the core set and like $30.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

3 copies of Most Wanted and 5 Y-Wing expansions, but it's also a list no one saw coming that did pretty well at regionals, right?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Chemmy posted:

3 copies of Most Wanted and 5 Y-Wing expansions, but it's also a list no one saw coming that did pretty well at regionals, right?

Only 2 Y-Wing expansions, unless you absolutely need to fly under the rebel banner.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

De Rol Le posted:

Cool. The gate and I will try to figure out a time and date, and then we will post here and see if we can make it work.

Great! Corbeau and I are both in PST. The best days for me are Th-Sat.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

The answer is usually focus fire, by the by.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Chemmy posted:

Third overall out of 60-some competitors, so yeah.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

thespaceinvader posted:

Look if I can't set up a chain reaction that kills every ship in play simultaneously, what good am I?

Edit: this is never going to actually happen but man I wish it would!

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

The Gate posted:

Look if I can't set up a chain reaction that kills every ship in play simultaneously, what good am I?

Not with that attitude it won't. How hard could it be to get every single z95 to one health and within range 1 of a giant chain of z95s and also have your brobots at one hull?

De Rol Le
Feb 5, 2015

Brunas posted:

Not with that attitude it won't. How hard could it be to get every single z95 to one health and within range 1 of a giant chain of z95s and also have your brobots at one hull?

Oh, not as hard as it should be. :getin:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

thespaceinvader posted:

But that's their answer to your list as well, so the game is figuring how to focus your fire while splitting theirs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Poopy Palpy posted:

But that's their answer to your list as well, so the game is figuring how to focus your fire while splitting theirs.

Plus five PS2 ships let you cover a lot of blocking ground.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The Gate posted:

If my idea for Jabba crew ever comes to pass you will be able to.

"Every friendly ship gains an illicit slot. When your ship executes a green manoeuvre, every friendly ship removes one stress token. When it executes a red manoeuvre, every friendly ship gains one stress token. 3 crew slots.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Jabba's monkey rat muppet should be a crew card with an ability so annoying that you get irritated whenever you see it on the table.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

Jabba's monkey rat muppet should be a crew card with an ability so annoying that you get irritated whenever you see it on the table.

Emperor Palpatine already exists though.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Emperor Palpatine already exists though.
You lack vision...

"Once per round you may change an enemy ship's die result to any other result. "

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Salacious B. Crumb
Scum Only

You may change an opponent ship's die to any die result, then burn this card.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It needs to have a little audio set up that loops that laugh thing he does

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
•Salacious Crumb
Scum Only

When an enemy ship reveals its manoeuvre dial, you may discard this card to rotate its dial by one place in either direction.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

•Salacious Crumb
Scum Only

When an enemy ship reveals its manoeuvre dial, you may discard this card to rotate its dial by one place in either direction.

Broken as gently caress. Imagine that used against a big ship that starts in the corner.

I'd imagine it more as granting a Biggs-like power. If you can shoot this ship, you MUST shoot this ship or receive a stress token.

Something like that.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Biggs is super obnoxious, I grant, but is he really more obnoxious than reverse Palpatine would be?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

ConfusedUs posted:

Broken as gently caress. Imagine that used against a big ship that starts in the corner.

I'd imagine it more as granting a Biggs-like power. If you can shoot this ship, you MUST shoot this ship or receive a stress token.

Something like that.

you could maybe balance it by making it only work at range 1 or something but really what matters is that it should be intensely annoying to play against

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Corbeau posted:

Biggs is super obnoxious, I grant, but is he really more obnoxious than reverse Palpatine would be?

He could be. Scum already has a ton of one-off abilities that help distribute damage. Like Glitterstim. Sometimes popping it is enough to make the enemy simply shoot something else.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Canyonero and I just had a ridiculous 2 hour game. Wedge and Kyle got pasted real early then I spend one and a half hours chasing Jake with 4 B-wings.

This happened.

Then I lost another to, I think, a rock. So many turns where it was "Range 3 with Tractor to get him into Range 1-2 of the other guys" and then Tractor flubbing. I hate Jake. But I finally beat him with a lucky Range 1 shot.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
So I made a thing for all you TTS chumps flying Palpaces.

I think as long as the images continue to be hosted on imgur, you can have your own Palptoken by saving the linked file to your game chest.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h17zd3i0qy54fkm/Palptoken.json?dl=0

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tacopocalypse posted:

So I made a thing for all you TTS chumps flying Palpaces.

I think as long as the images continue to be hosted on imgur, you can have your own Palptoken by saving the linked file to your game chest.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h17zd3i0qy54fkm/Palptoken.json?dl=0

Pfft not enough Lambdas in that picture.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bless whoever ran the Waffalo Herd. I really want to try it IRL but I have not got enough Lambdas.

Or tacticians.

I have enough of everything else once Vets drops.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Canyonero and I just had a ridiculous 2 hour game. Wedge and Kyle got pasted real early then I spend one and a half hours chasing Jake with 4 B-wings.

This happened.

Then I lost another to, I think, a rock. So many turns where it was "Range 3 with Tractor to get him into Range 1-2 of the other guys" and then Tractor flubbing. I hate Jake. But I finally beat him with a lucky Range 1 shot.

Admiral Joeslop v Canyonero: Admiral Joeslop wins 100-50. TTS is both the perfect and worst venue for learning ships you've never flown before. Wow that HWK dial is gross.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So when (not if) your dials get messed up in game, there is an easy way to fix them that someone from chat showed me. Right click the ship, type in "keep" then set your dials like normal. Once they're set, type "q" and your ship will magically return to its spot!

Also what does the Scyk need to be fixed? The title definitely should have been free at the worst.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So when (not if) your dials get messed up in game, there is an easy way to fix them that someone from chat showed me. Right click the ship, type in "keep" then set your dials like normal. Once they're set, type "q" and your ship will magically return to its spot!

Also what does the Scyk need to be fixed? The title definitely should have been free at the worst.

1 forward to slowroll with HLC? Never actually tried playing it because I don't have enough scum ships, but it might help, same with the Kiharx, love the 1 hard but no 1 forward on a jouster sucks.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
SoCal Regionals Trip Report:

SoCal X-Wing Regionals was held this weekend at At Ease Games in San Diego, CA, which is about 93 miles south of where I live. This year they ran a 2-day event; 6 Rounds of swiss on Saturday, cut to top 16 who return on Sunday for the elimination rounds.

Here is my list:
Darth Vader (29)
Adaptability (0)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Emperor Palpatine (8)
Gunner (5)
Seismic Charges (2)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

This list beat the crap out of me at my first ever store champs so I stole it! Later I modded it with Adaptability on Vader so I can choose which to move or shoot first. 2 Hard hitters at PS10 who will take you on a grand tour of the face up side of your damage deck.. and a bomb that apparently everyone including me forgets. Its not 3x Jumpmasters, its not Triple Aces... its even debatable if it falls into "Palp Aces" It might be from a older meta but it checks out.
I'm just hoping to go a respectable 4-2

1st Match: Vs. Dengar and Bossk
I managed to stay out of both Bossk's & Dengar's primary arcs long enough to tear down Dengar without triggering his pilot ability; him drawing 2 Direct Hits for his Dengar didnt help. He was wily with his Bossk and managed to kill Vader and take half of RAC before going down. Also his YV-666 was painted red and had a tiny "Swingline" logo in the upper corner, it was hilarious. 100-67, 1-0

2nd Match: Vs. Han & Poe
Here come the Byes. Poe is at PS10 just like me but for some reason he takes initiative which helps be dodge Poe's slow-roll arc for several rounds while I pound on Han, getting him down to 1 hull before he changes tactics and gets more agressive with Poe while running Han away. I draw 2 crits on RAC: Damaged Engine (Turns are Red) and Weapons Malfunction (-1 Red Dice, Action to fix (iirc)) and proceed to forget about the Weapons malfunction as I make a huge mistake, I dial up a 2 left turn (to dodge Poe again) which will knowingly take me over debris. I take 2 stress then realize that I cant fix the weapons malfunction for 2 turns and my now 2 dice attacks are anemic and un-intimidating to Poe who chases RAC down and finishes him off. My Vader chases down Han and now its pillow fighting time, he gets Vader down to 1 hp and I've got the crit that makes red moves do damage on ahit/crit so I'm not gonna be doing any k-turning so I'm just dodging arcs until time is called. 64-66, He gets a Mod win, 1-1

3rd Match: Vs TLT Bomber Miranda (w/ Sabine riding shotgun) +2 TLY Y-WIngs with Bomb loadouts, all packing Thermals Dets & Extra Munitions.
1st Pass manage to get into R1 to avoind those TLT-s and I dig hard into the closest Y-wing getting it down to 2 health. Next turn I set up what could have been a *sweet* manuver that would have had Vader and RAC cross each other, left Vader at range 1 of Miranda with a TL while being at R1 of the Y-wings and RAC with a clear shot at the damage y-wing, all while dodging those bombs. Instead RAC juuuuuust bumped Vader and so could not clear one of the bombs, and I forgot to BR Vader away from the bombs once he landed. Also the damaged Y-Wing K-turned and got out of RACs range (and Vaders arc) and so lived to fight another day. Vader takes 3 damage and 2 stress from Bombs. Saving Grace was Miranda taking a blinded pilot and not being able to kill Vader. My opponent forgot to turn over Blinded pilot after Miranda's PS step so I reminded him - this is important for later. Vader is too stressed out to clear the next bomb wave and dies, now its RAC vs 3 TLTs... Make that 2, RAC kills Miranda before she can fire another shot. Y-Wings ofc do 4 damage. Next turn the damaged y-wing dies, the other does 3 damage (R1 primary shot and a good roll). I'm down to 1 or 2 health burning away from his full health y-wing. 1st shot is at r1, out of his arc and in the TLT donut hole, neither of us moved very fast, burn his shield off, next turn I get 1 hit 2 crits, he rolls no evades, its...the other blinded pilot. Now its his torn to shoot. He places Blinded pilot down in front of him on the ship card, reads it a few times... the says "Back to dials?" I didnt realize it until later, but he didnt flip it face down. Next turn I get him down to 1 health... he flips his Blinded pilot card face down... "Back to Dials?". Next turn he dies before shooting. 100-67, 2-1

4th Match: Vs. Kenkirk Decimator and Whisper.
I've played Tim before and he is such a cool dude, very much a "instant friends" kind of guy. He had a very survivability-oriented Decimator, Determination, Kenkirk and Yissard, but with me at PS10 his Whisper was pretty much out of the game and it went fast he got half my Decimator before the end. 100-33, 3-1

1 more win and its Achievement Unlocked, I get my 4-2!

5th Match: Vs. (No poo poo?!?) 3 TIE Bombers and Omega Leader
Don came all the way from Phoenix AZ and brought a very non-meta list. Also hes wily like a mofo and when he's setting his dials his "Im concentrating" face is intimidating, but a very cool dude. I knew I needed to prevent as many torp launches at my Deci as I could so I made plans to ram right into R1 of his bomber pack, actions arent *that* important to me. He saw that one coming a mile away and pushed one bomber ahead to block, but only one of the shooters managed to get the needed target lock to fire torps. Guess which one I murdered first? OL put his TL on RAC and started doing his thing while I killed Bombers, they only managed to get 2 torp shots off (And one @ Vader and I managed to do some dodging there) before they finally died. OL died to pure good/bad luck. Deci (Whom he has target locked and therefore cant mod dice) fires at R3, rolls one hit, he evades it, Gunner triggers, I roll hit-hit-crit, his greens blank out, shield/hit/direct hit. 100-33, 4-1.

Achievement Unlocked!

6th Match: Vs. Zuckas, Jm5k w/ Boba+Protons, and a YV-666 with 4-lom. I'm forgetting a few things in there but those are the important parts.
Again, I wanna barge into R1 to avoid torps, and again, I get blocked, this time by the YV-666. I tear big chunks out of Zuckas on the first pass while RAC takes a pounding and Boba Fett fucks with Palpatine's throne lumbar support adjustment taking him out of the fight. Next turn he does nothing of what I expected so the Hard 3 turn RAC did to get clear instead has him at R1 of a broadside from the YV-666. Zuckas dies before getting to shoot again, and RAC continues to get pounded, including taking a damaged cockpit crit (PS0). RAC will die next turn without firing again. Oh well it was a good run, and all I wanted was 4-2. Vader takes Torp volley, there go the shields, the crit gives me a stress. Next turn I 'm working on maybe killing his JM5k while maybe dodging the YV-'s huge fuckoff arc so I turtle up behind a obstruction. Hey I'm actually rolling some evades maybe I'll be ok oh nope a crit slips through and now If I do a red I might take a hit and I'm at 1 health so no K-turns for me Vs. a 3-health JM5K and a full health YV-666. Oh well it was a good run, and all I wanted was 4-2. Next trun a swing around and take a pot-shot at his JM5k, he rolls 2 evades so just my ATC Crit gets through, Turns are Red. I'm out of arc of his YV- and I manage to evade his JM5Ks shooting omg is this happening? Next turn he turns his JM5k hard for some reason, as he's putting down a focus token I say "Isn't that turn red" so noo action for the 2-health JM5k. I figure lets end it one way or another so I slide right up at R1 to this JM5k and focus, I'm still somehow out of his YV's arc and its hit a debris so its stressed, I roll 3 dice: blank/blank/hit, yay. I strap a crit onto it from ATC, he rolls his 2 green dice: 2 focus. If he had been able to take that focus... JM5K is dead :toot: Now I creep my 1 health Vader up behind his Full health YV-666. I CAN NOT let him get me into arc because he already has a TL and 4-LOM so he WILL hit hard and keep me from using turtle powers. He stressed but he's doing these long 3 turns trying to shake me while I'm moving slow because I think he's gonna move slow to clear stress and bump, and I dont wanna bump so my actions are mostly about boosting/rolling to make up the distance and I'm chipping away at his shields and he's near the corner when he for some reason decides to do a 1 bank to clear his stress instead of a turn... the bank puts his corner off the edge of the table.

Holy poo poo what a game. Somehow I'm 5-1 and I make the top 16 cut. Its 11pm when everything wrapped up, now I gotta drive 93 miles home to feed my cats then drive back in the morning. The 6 hours of sleep I figure I'll get becomes 3 because I cant decompress and I keep thinking about x-wangs.

7th Match. Palp Aces: Yorr w/ Palp and Ion Projector, Soontir, Inquisitor.
Franklin says my list is a "Hard counter" to his but it never seems that way. TL:DR he kills me with green dice. First Pass I get both Vader and Deci at R1 and in arc of a turtled up Soontir and put no-poo poo 12 hits into him over 3 shots... 1 crit goes through, blinded pilot. That'll be the only damage Soontir takes all game. I never even try to shoot at the Inquisitor, I kill the shuttle because its the only thing I can actually land hits on, and my Vader never dodges a shot. Franklin rolled 4 natural evades 3 times, always has a pile of tokens for the other times, and I never rolled one evade once. Vader died and RAC was below half by the time the match ended. 32-67

I stuck around to watch the rest of the matches... to hopefully get something more out of my extra 200 miles of driving besides a set of acrylic bomb tokens and a really disappointing, formulaic game. It was too bad that once we got into top 8 its was nothing but 3x Jumpmasters or Palp Aces or swarms; no fun allowed apparently at the upper levels. Interestingly enough, where as before I had figured I'd probably not go out of my way to do the higher level competitive stuff after this regional, the fun I had on Day 1 made me re-think that. Hopefully the meta will get more diverse by next season.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Siggy and I are about to start up our league game on TTS if anyone wants to stalk it.

Awful Wangs/lljk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah there were at least 3 Phoenix dudes in San Diego for wangs. One in top 16 and another in top 8

• Locked thread