Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Hear, hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Weald doesn't even have a consistent gimmick or theme for its mobs and mechanics.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Excuse me but maybe you haven't noticed that actually it does and the gimmick is that all the enemies are awful poo poo?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly the Warrens is the place I usually hate the most just because those little pig shits giving you disease is infuriating.

My one death so far on this run has been this poor guy, who in literally the first fight on the first move got vomited on and caught the black plague, which on top of all the other nasty poo poo gives -75% disease resist.

He made it to the last fight and then died to a crit+bleed because he had no dodge and -20% health. Thanks, loving pigs.

Cythereal posted:

The Weald doesn't even have a consistent gimmick or theme for its mobs and mechanics.

Well it does have a pretty clear thematic theme, but you're right that unlike the other 3 main dungeons it doesn't have consistent composition. Its a hodgepodge of a bunch of different stuff. From a gameplay standpoint, its the "jack-of-all-trades" dungeon. Nothing is super weak there but nothing is incredibly strong either. This actually means it ends up being the most difficult often because, unlike the other dungeons, you can't really plan around and exploit its weaknesses. You just have to slog through the fights that your team will inevitably not be in an ideal position to handle.

Of course it also has poo poo like giants that enjoy critting you for your entire HP bar because gently caress you.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Cythereal posted:

PROT, Blight and Total Bullshit count as a gimmick.

I don't know that I'd agree that it lacks a theme, though. The theme's pretty consistent; it's only really the zombie dogs that stand out as '???,' but that's mostly because the artwork on them looks crappy when compared with every other enemy in the game. Like. I hesitate to call them 'wolves.'

Internet Kraken posted:

This actually means it ends up being the most difficult often because, unlike the other dungeons, you can't really plan around and exploit its weaknesses. You just have to slog through the fights that your team will inevitably not be in an ideal position to handle.

I hate to keep beating the Shieldbreaker drum, here, but Shieldbreaker is a great pointwoman for the Weald. Backed by a defender and a Bounty Hunter, they all make pretty short work of the enemies there. Arbalest(or Muskateer)/Occultist/MAA(or Houndmaster)/Shieldbreaker is another pretty reliable party with the right mix of trinkets, but party shuffle can gently caress things up for that comp in a hurry if you get hit with confusion spores. I'd bring Houndmaster in there more often since, aside from marks, he does pinch hits and stuns really well in the 2nd position, but the fact that his guard breaks every time he performs an action that isn't spamming guard (when the MAA has no such issue) annoys the hell out of me. Also, he doesn't have the same versatility as MAA when forced into the first slot, so :shrug:

Either way, Shieldbreaker's PROT-ignoring lunges and destealthing moves go a long way towards making the difficult fights easier to handle.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 17, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The shieldbreaker is good in the Weald only by virtue of being good everywhere. Her kit is so versatile that she can always be equipped for every location and perform exceptionally. Any dungeon can be made much more manageable by bringing her along, unless its gonna be a nightmare mission and you don't bring stress heals.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

The shieldbreaker is good in the Weald only by virtue of being good everywhere. Her kit is so versatile that she can always be equipped for every location and perform exceptionally. Any dungeon can be made much more manageable by bringing her along, unless its gonna be a nightmare mission and you don't bring stress heals.

TBH, much as I'm all about bringing her everywhere the moment her nightmare segments go away, I can't help but wonder if she throws balance out the window a little too hard. Like, once she ceases to be a liability, it's only her HP bar that turns into a legitimate downside, and that's easily mitigated.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 17, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Old Boot posted:

TBH, much as I'm all about bringing her everywhere the moment her nightmare segments go away, I can't help but wonder if she throws balance out the window a little too hard. Like, once she ceases to be a liability, it's only her HP bar that turns into a legitimate downside, and that's easily mitigated.

Oh she's absolutely OP, though not in the extremely stupid way the old Flagellant was so I don't mind using her. Her versatility is just way too strong compared to other heroes. There's no reason she should be able to hit literally every rank with several of her abilities. Puncture can hit every single enemy position from every single position in your party. When you compare her to... literally every other hero, with their very strict positioning and targeting requirements, it doesn't make much sense.

I dunno if they're ever gonna do another balance patch but if they did I'm sure the shieldbreaker would be nerfed. Weirdly though, despite this game being 3 years old now, I actually do hope they balance it again, or at least keep this balance mostly the same in Darkest Dungeon 2: Eldritch Boogaloo.. Playing it now there's so much stuff I never used before that I now consider, and a lot of my problems with the game have been sorted out. It was a good game at launch but its only gotten even better.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It’s not a hard game to mod. What would you change? I have my own little abomination patch that I’m futzing around with.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bogart posted:

It’s not a hard game to mod. What would you change? I have my own little abomination patch that I’m futzing around with.

I don't really like using mods for balance since i like having the same experience as everyone else. There are lots of things I would change if I could though. There are very few heroes I think need major buffs or nerfs; it would be mostly adjusting a few skills to be more or less useful to encourage variety.

If I ever did mod the game though the hero I would wanna change the most is actually the Vestal. She's my least-favorite class despite being one of the most useful, because 95% of the time you're only gonna use the same 4 skills on her (I haven't played enough of the latter dungeons yet to form an opinion on her stealth remover). She's extremely strong in only one way and trying to use her outside of that is just an awful, ineffective gimmick.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my controversial darkest dungeon opinion is that I think aside from camping the healing systems they have in place are just not very good, lead to boring builds, bad party variety and still cause battle stalling for heals, and with hindsight the game(or a darkest dungeon 2) should really just have either more powerful healing moves with limited uses or NO healing outside of camping and items, instead somewhat lower enemy damage/damage variance and replacing healing skills with skills that mitigate damage in some way

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my unsolicited opinion is that a hero should have one of the following

[*] a very strong kit for one position with an internally competitive toolbox and a tool for returning to that position quickly that comes at an opportunity cost
[*] two relatively balanced options for position/role w mutually exclusive root skills but flexibility elsewhere in the toolbox
[*] a movement-heavy skill set that avoids being too strongly cyclical / retains turn-to-turn decision-making

i agree with the powerful limited-use heals and more of a focus on attrition ideas too. dying should be a facepalm moment where the game tempted you into taking one risk too many, not a constant possibility at any turn. the latter just leads to situations where you feel like you got hosed over by no fault of your own

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Neurion posted:

I've really been enjoying the Endless Harvest mode, and for the longest time the 300-kill mark (and its associated achievement) eluded me. Managing stress was one of the more difficult things, especially once the 200-kill "Endgame Torchlight" effect kicked in. Then the random town event that gives a +15% Virtue chance on the next mission happened, and I got an idea. I assembled my party and fought through the shattered areas until I was warped to the Weald, where my plan went into action. I killed enemies until I was up against nothing but slimes, which are probably the tamest foe in the late game. I began having my heroes pass turns over and over (except the healer who focused on keeping the party alive), slowly accruing stress, until people would hit 100 stress and roll virtue checks. Even with the +15% chance, it took hours to get all four heroes into a Virtuous state, but I then had my buffer against stress, as well as stat and resistance bonuses. At that point, it became much easier to hit the 300 kill mark, then 400, then 500... After awhile I thought maybe I should start recording this, in case I'm breaking a record and need proof. There were many times when party members got hurt while at death's door, and somehow I've lucked out and survived all of them.

Here's the situation now, at 2,156 kills:

Plenty of supplies for the journey, even now.

Caen, Hellion, who rolled the Powerful virtue (+25% DMG, sometimes buffs companions' DMG)

Marian, Vestal, who rolled the Vigorous virtue (+4 SPD, sometimes restores a bunch of her HP thanks to Hippocratic buffing it)

Belissimo, Jester, also rolled Vigorous

Lillian, Plague Doctor, who rolled Courageous (+2 SPD, -33% Stress, sometimes restores companions' stress by 4)

I must've broken some record for this, but I have no intentions of stopping until one of my heroes finally rolls poorly at Death's Door.

loving wow

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Kind of surprised the Endless Harvest doesn't force the refracted status on anyone that goes over 100.

What's the deal with death in that mode anyways? I haven't done it yet but I heard people don't die permanently in it, which makes me wonder what the investment cost for it is other than a week lost on Bloodmoon.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Kind of surprised the Endless Harvest doesn't force the refracted status on anyone that goes over 100.

What's the deal with death in that mode anyways? I haven't done it yet but I heard people don't die permanently in it, which makes me wonder what the investment cost for it is other than a week lost on Bloodmoon.

IIRC, everyone who "dies" goes away for a week (like they would on a bender), and come back with the Refracted affliction. You lose all your trinkets, too, but those can be retrieved via the Shrieker, eventually.

I learned the hard way that dying to the Miller in the regular fight before Endless Harvest is just straight-up dying.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

You also lose any "unique" traits the hero may have had, specifically the kind that only 1 person in the roster is allowed to have, like what you get from beating The Thing From The Stars. It seems the game removes those traits on death, regardless of if the hero died on the Farmstead or died for good. That's the reason my Hellion only has 4 traits instead of 5; she lost a Thing trait from an earlier death and hadn't earned a new one before the opportunity for 40% virtue chance rolled and I dove in for Operation Maybe-Crash-The-Game-When-It-Tallies-All-The-Corpses-At-The-End.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I managed to beat the Baron mission in only two runs with a bunch of loot. I felt pretty confident in my team so even though the Baron banged us up badly, I decided to keep exploring. Immediately after the Baron, 4 maggots spawned. 3 of them targeted my weakened vestal, with two of them critting her to death's door. She then died to a trivial bleed tick left over from the Baron fight.

It was so bullshit I can't even get mad about it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I was looking to rename my bounty hunter and learned that the French word for scorpion is scorpion.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Apparently they're trying to make a live-action version of this game. Test footage of the Flesh:

https://i.imgur.com/GkBzHi1.mp4

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'd still try a bite of it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Samovar posted:

Apparently they're trying to make a live-action version of this game. Test footage of the Flesh:

Why you just posting spoilers of the final dungeon like this

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Samovar posted:

Weird flex but okay.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
All I want for this game is some sort of party management system, so that I, as a perfectly awesome user can save multiple parties (all 4 positions, skills, trinkets, camp skills, ect) and recall them with the click of a button.

Please redhook, please.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i basically play this game in two phases, setup and execution

ive just never been a "specific team setups" kinda person

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

My Endless Harvest has finally come to an end. DOTs triggered deathblows against my Jester and Plague Doctor while fighting a Shambler. Here's the final score:

It's slightly obscured, but I managed 2602 kills.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Neurion posted:

My Endless Harvest has finally come to an end. DOTs triggered deathblows against my Jester and Plague Doctor while fighting a Shambler. Here's the final score:

It's slightly obscured, but I managed 2602 kills.

And this is after the rebalance patch Red Hook released explicitly to prevent Endless Mode runs from being able to post these sorts of final kill tallies? What was your party composition, Trinket loadout, skill selection, relevant Quirk setup, etc.? I absolutely suck at Endless Mode and it's making it a huge pain in the bottom (butt) to get all the Star Shards I need to buy out the DLC Trinket merchant's stock.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
IIRC, it was savescumming until they got a four-virtue party that really did it.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly the Warrens is the place I usually hate the most just because those little pig shits giving you disease is infuriating.

My one death so far on this run has been this poor guy, who in literally the first fight on the first move got vomited on and caught the black plague, which on top of all the other nasty poo poo gives -75% disease resist.

He made it to the last fight and then died to a crit+bleed because he had no dodge and -20% health. Thanks, loving pigs.

Well it does have a pretty clear thematic theme, but you're right that unlike the other 3 main dungeons it doesn't have consistent composition. Its a hodgepodge of a bunch of different stuff. From a gameplay standpoint, its the "jack-of-all-trades" dungeon. Nothing is super weak there but nothing is incredibly strong either. This actually means it ends up being the most difficult often because, unlike the other dungeons, you can't really plan around and exploit its weaknesses. You just have to slog through the fights that your team will inevitably not be in an ideal position to handle.

Of course it also has poo poo like giants that enjoy critting you for your entire HP bar because gently caress you.

The thing that I hate the very most about the Warrens is that nearly every enemy completely ignores positioning. Move a vomit pig or drummer to the front? They can still do their worst attack. Push an attack pig to the back? Still has their good attack. The diseases can be annoying if you get one of the bad ones, but the dungeon just no-sells every movement ability. It makes it a much less tactical dungeon, and you're more about just putting down raw damage numbers. The other dungeons positioning of the enemy matters, and tactical play is rewarded.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

PMush Perfect posted:

IIRC, it was savescumming until they got a four-virtue party that really did it.

I don't know if I'm happy about this, but God drat do I respect it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ZypherIM posted:

The thing that I hate the very most about the Warrens is that nearly every enemy completely ignores positioning. Move a vomit pig or drummer to the front? They can still do their worst attack. Push an attack pig to the back? Still has their good attack. The diseases can be annoying if you get one of the bad ones, but the dungeon just no-sells every movement ability. It makes it a much less tactical dungeon, and you're more about just putting down raw damage numbers. The other dungeons positioning of the enemy matters, and tactical play is rewarded.

I mean you say that but the Warrens are the only place where the double-size enemy is positioning dependent. Movement options go a long way to avoid eating a pig spear to the face.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The warrens is also the best dungeon to abuse scouting to avoid encounters and/or pick up curio buffs before taking them on, so there’s some balance there at least. Whereas the weald basically says, “gently caress you, you’re fighting everything whether you like it or not.”

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

PMush Perfect posted:

Less save-scumming (hard to do with a game that autosaves frequently) and more biding time until favorable conditions occurred (+15% virtue chance via town event), then wasting hours inducing stress and then stress-healing party members that failed the virtue roll. A different brand of scumming, you might say.

Time_pants posted:

I don't know if I'm happy about this, but God drat do I respect it.

Thank you!

Time_pants posted:

And this is after the rebalance patch Red Hook released explicitly to prevent Endless Mode runs from being able to post these sorts of final kill tallies? What was your party composition, Trinket loadout, skill selection, relevant Quirk setup, etc.? I absolutely suck at Endless Mode and it's making it a huge pain in the bottom (butt) to get all the Star Shards I need to buy out the DLC Trinket merchant's stock.

Edit: Also I posted my loadout here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697943&pagenumber=551&perpage=40#post491516000

Effortpost Edit:

There are a few tips I can give that might help with Endless Mode. Firstly, trinkets and quirks that activate based on high light levels are good to take, because all battles on the Farmstead take place at 100 torchlight, EXCEPT for battles against the Shambler, which always take place at 0 IIRC. Dodge and ACC are probably the best stats to focus on buffing, as being able to reliably hit and avoid being hit is what will improve your survival most, IMO.

Secondly, it is very helpful to get used to the pacing of reinforcements and use it to your advantage. When you kill an enemy in battle the game will turn any corpses left behind at the end of the round into crystals, and on the end of the following turn it will summon reinforcements to bring the number of foes back up to 4, bypassing the crystal stage on any corpses left remaining. If you don't leave any corpses (kills via DOTs or crits or the enemy type doesn't leave corpses anyways, such as dogs or spiders) then you won't have to deal with the crystals. This can be good or bad. Good because you don't need to waste an action making sure the crystal doesn't burst, but also a little bad because you miss out on a tiny bit of healing by smashing the crystal. It's best to try to avoid killing 3 or 4 foes before reinforcements are called, because dealing with 2 fresh enemies and 2 wounded enemies is easier than 4 fresh. Also, you only need to kill 8 enemies in each area before you can move to the next, so if things are getting tight, focus down the enemies who are easiest to kill and try to survive until the Sleeper's Herald shows up to warp you away.

If your goal is to get crystals, then you don't need to try and last as long as possible. It seems like you can reap the best rewards with your time if you go as far as killing 3 or 4 bosses and then leaving, as you do get bonus crystals and gold based on how many bosses you kill, but the bonus caps out pretty quick. For longer runs, though, you're going to want to optimize your party for surviving against everything the game might throw at you, hence the party loadout I took: Hellion for hitting any rank with focused damage; Vestal for healing; Jester for stress heals, bleeds, and party buffs when necessary; and Plague Doctor for inflicting and curing DOTs (blight is the best DOT, IMO, because it's resisted by less enemies than bleed is, and the doctor's blight chances are easy to buff with trinkets) and curing diseases at camp.

The different areas also have to be approached a little differently, too. The Farmstead is kind of a breather area, where the only major threat you'll face is from the horses shuffling your party or the foremen hitting with a hard single-rank attack that bleeds and marks. The Ruins are kind of a middling difficulty, where the biggest threat is banner skeletons buffing and reviving their friends while the other skeletons wear you down. The Weald is also a mixed bag, because while there's a fair number of squishy enemies, there's also some really sturdy ones to take up a lot of time dealing with. DOTs are wicked useful here against the giants and the mushroom guys. Prioritize killing the Virago if she shows up. The Cove is pretty rough, cuz almost everything there either hits hard (fish, exploding thralls) or causes big problems (pretty much everything else). Focus on the fish, first and foremost, because while they're just plain damage dealers, those fuckers hit hard no matter what rank they're in. The Warrens are horrible and awful and I hate them. The only enemy I'm pleased to see there is swine drummers because they're not that threatening. Swine Skivers and Large Carrion Eaters will ruin you with their damage output, but ignoring the small fry for too long can also result in getting diseases. The Hamlet is also kind of a breather level, as you'll just face brigands and dogs, and those usually go down quick. The Darkest Dungeon is the worst of all and I was mortified when I warped there the first time. This should be illegal. Prioritize the squishiest thing you can target. Everything here hurts a lot, so the sooner you hit 8 kills the better. If witches show up, prioritize them, because their Marks last until the end of the battle. If flesh dogs show up while someone is marked, switch priority to them, because their gnash attack will hurt a lot more. Also their fetch attack will gently caress with your positioning.

I've run out of time before work, so I hope this is poo poo you didn't already know, and that it proves helpful!

Neurion fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 7, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

whydirt posted:

The warrens is also the best dungeon to abuse scouting to avoid encounters and/or pick up curio buffs before taking them on, so there’s some balance there at least. Whereas the weald basically says, “gently caress you, you’re fighting everything whether you like it or not.”

I like when you go into the Weald and the mission consists of two extremely long hallways with no branches and you have no choice but to walk down one and backtrack the other.

Neurion posted:

Less save-scumming (hard to do with a game that autosaves frequently) and more biding time until favorable conditions occurred (+15% virtue chance via town event), then wasting hours inducing stress and then stress-healing party members that failed the virtue roll. A different brand of scumming, you might say.

Thank you!

Edit: Also I posted my loadout here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697943&pagenumber=551&perpage=40#post491516000

Was this on Bloodmoon? Through pure chance I had a party that rolled 4 virtues on my second attempt at the Harvest and they still got forced out before I even hit 200 hundred kills. It just feels super easy to get screwed by a boss you're not geared to fight.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Internet Kraken posted:

I like when you go into the Weald and the mission consists of two extremely long hallways with no branches and you have no choice but to walk down one and backtrack the other.

Was this on Bloodmoon? Through pure chance I had a party that rolled 4 virtues on my second attempt at the Harvest and they still got forced out before I even hit 200 hundred kills. It just feels super easy to get screwed by a boss you're not geared to fight.

My party was well-equipped to fight every boss except the cannon (only 1 party member can focus-damage and that has to go to the matchman) and the pig king (no way to remove marks), and the cannon ended my earlier attempts a few times before I finally got into a workable rhythm.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean you say that but the Warrens are the only place where the double-size enemy is positioning dependent. Movement options go a long way to avoid eating a pig spear to the face.

Not really?

The whip brigand can't use point blank shot if he isn't in rank 1, and can't use rain of whips if he isn't in slot 1+2.
Ghoul can't use rend if he isn't in slot 1+2 (though his stress is generally the more damaging attack).
Bone captain can only use crushing blow from 1+2.
The crab can't use his slam from the back.

In fact the large enemies that have nothing positioning dependent is the large ectoplasm and unclean giant. So it is more accurate to say "the weald is where large enemies aren't positioning dependent". Unless you get large enemies that can show up anywhere, like the fat brigand. The swinetaur is maybe the *most* positioning dependent large enemy, but not the only by any means. I'm less worried about a swinetaur than I am a giant though, and all the stress/disease enemies will continue to poo poo on you if you move them around to nullify the swinetaur.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

I haven't touched DD in ages, but someone showed me this new enemy set for the Ruins that's professional quality. I've played with it just a bit and new enemies are really fun. The first one I ran into was a perma-counterattacking suit of floating armor that gets stronger every time it strikes (riposte strikes included).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgK-vRGuxkI

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Darkest Dungeon sequel in the works!

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/1097918744385310720

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

At the Mountains of Madness-inspired sequel? :getin:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Oh noooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Want list for Darkest 2:

A loving party management system in game, allow me to save all aspects of a party and recall that party at the click of a button.

- Class and order
- Skills / camp skills / position of skills on bars
- Trinkets

that, along with some other Quality of Life stuff for town systems would be my biggest hope.