Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Quavers posted:

you don't understand image licence development

I found a vector image of a crowd on google image search with the intent to use it as a mock up for a client. I liked it so much I wanted to use it for the final artwork, so I booted up 123rf and asked their team to find that image if they had it, they found it, I bought an extended license and then went on with the project. That's kind of how it works when you are charging money for things, you do it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I found a vector image of a crowd on google image search with the intent to use it as a mock up for a client. I liked it so much I wanted to use it for the final artwork, so I booted up 123rf and asked their team to find that image if they had it, they found it, I bought an extended license and then went on with the project. That's kind of how it works when you are charging money for things, you do it properly.

This guy gets it. I am fine with someone lifting an image for tomfoolery or memes and whatnot. But when you are charging money to a client or are running a business, pay your loving taxxes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Titanic posted:

Sorry friend! As you can tell when I get into "Workd War 2 bomber mode" my office, made of aircraft stuff, becomes my B-52 and I just sometimes take it too far. Already thinking I should just replace my office door with a hatch from an old bomber too. I bet I can find the parts just laying around in a buddy's garage and have it cobbled together by volunteer employees. :clint:

World War 2

B-52

:doh:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sillybones posted:

Also TIMEWAAAARP:

Oh snap! A new red text!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48KaaTj4cnE

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 2, 2017

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

:chloe:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The best way to settle the speculation is to let the aggrieved party assert their rights.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like 123rf.com might want to pursue legal action against a company that is stealing their assets.

Even if CIG panics and buys the license for the images identified now, they have already made money from them by including them in product that is only available to paying customers (subscribers/avocados).

123rf would likely be entitled to search CIGs assets to determine what else they have misappropriated in order to calculate total true-up cost and penalties as part of any out of court settlement.

If it goes to court and CIG claims poverty, that would force financials into the light.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Golli posted:

The best way to settle the speculation is to let the aggrieved party assert their rights.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like 123rf.com might want to pursue legal action against a company that is stealing their assets.

Even if CIG panics and buys the license for the images identified now, they have already made money from them by including them in product that is only available to paying customers (subscribers/avocados).

123rf would likely be entitled to search CIGs assets to determine what else they have misappropriated in order to calculate total true-up cost and penalties as part of any out of court settlement.

If it goes to court and CIG claims poverty, that would force financials into the light.

Oh yeah I sent them an email like 6 hours ago lol

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fargin Icehole posted:

What if Derek was never brought up, ever?

Just had a thought. What if Derek didn't get the ban and refund treatment, and these idiots at CIG weren't so stupid aggressive by basically banning people for just asking people questions, forcing their own indie underdog narrative bullshit image, and maybe not hiring socially maladjusted, desperate, petty, completely unqualified people like Ben Lesnick...

It would still be the great scam, but holy poo poo, all the negative posters here would've been reported and banned.

I was actually thinking about giving this company money at one point, because I played the poo poo out of Freelancer.

Here's my own recollection of history...

Before Derek was on the scene, people like Beer4TheBeerGod were already doubting the project was possible, and actively posting about it being junk.

Now I don't believe the whole "it's a scam" came up before Derek though, he was involved by then.

But even without Derek, I think we'd all be at the same place today, though probably with less mass comedy and there'd be no hate forum on reddit dedicated to him.

Unfortunately Derek existing or not existing in the games timeline doesn't make it suddenly be great. Star Citizen would still be in the same condition it is now. Really though, it might be in worse condition today without Derek, because no doubt Chris has spent many hours yelling at people to get more done just to prove Derek wrong. In a comically round about fashion, Derek's involvement has probably helped Star Citizen be a better game. :shrug:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Golli posted:

123rf will absolutely sue, it's pretty much part of their business model :v:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oh yeah I sent them an email like 6 hours ago lol

This is like the second or third time they've been emailed about CIG stealing their poo poo. I hope they take them to the loving cleaners lmao

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

a cyberpunk goose posted:

This depends entirely on your ability to make good gameplay programming architecture decisions, which often are at odds with your goals when trying to poo poo out tech demos built on older tech demos.

Whether or not AI is easy or sane to implement depends on your needs and avoiding too many framework shortcuts without special considerations, i.e.: does your game fudge too many boundaries or contracts the engine's core is built around? Is the AI trying to be fair and fun? Or brutally efficient? Does it need to be flashy or showy? Does the engine have existing AI optimizations? Is the "AI" a realtime actor of many in a complex realtime scene or just a job that runs to update database things every night that exist in the game world as spread sheets. Generally your AI needs access to a lot of elements in the game state to make good decisions about what is going to feel convincing and fun to the player, given how poorly defined the limits are on scope for any given environment or gameplay scenario there's no clear model for how the engine would not waste tons of cycles trying to schedule AI work time and gauge entity relevance in a huge confusingly specced tangled mess of ideas and concepts.

Knowing that they want to do a bunch of frankly impossible magic mesh scaling poo poo this also presents a lot of questions about what an AIs role and limits are in the magic SC endgame. It's basically undefined from a requirements perspective. They are so many decades away from a functioning scaling PU that there is no telling what the technical limits would be for their AI plans so there's no real point in anyone at CIG pretending they actually know.

Let me give a practical example: in a modern engine it's not a big deal to have an NPC find a path from point A to point B. The work is simplified by the fact that most games have one idea of gravity and one coordinate space to think about, and usually pretty limited in total space. It's *relatively* straight forward to avoid worse case scenarios of your path finding taking too long... Now consider Star Citizen: each station and ship has its own coordinate system, planets too in theory while also modeling the astrophysics somehow. The AI will have to be extremely well thought out to handle all the different spacial systems to find a path to its destination if we assume CiG will promise unique NPCs that travel freely.

There's not a super good way to succinctly explain how hard or easy it is to just "make AI for your game" since games are really really hard to make and also hard to make simply enjoyable. Making AI work well in your game requires thoughtful planning and firm decision making about what your priorities are.

The AI in SC is never going to be seen nor function. At most we will see some buggy pawns solving paths through a navigation mesh in a cryengine level while someone lies about the personal life and hobbies of the emergent ghost in the shell intelligence before us, sweeping a hallway.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

This is like the second or third time they've been emailed about CIG stealing their poo poo. I hope they take them to the loving cleaners lmao

If they don't take action, maybe an email from a paying customer asking (rhetorically) why they should continue to pay when there are other companies that repeatedly steal without apparent consequence would nudge them.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hahaha, comic genius.

In his defence, we all make mistakes when we're young... wait, what's that? He was 25 and working in a school?

Oh.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Archer Strikes Back and I am made glad of it.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

For a company that boasts all of the greatest of fidelities, I would be embarrassed to have poo poo like this associated with my business. There is just something ironic about it being a "Best Price" graphic for a company that has been given $140+ Million.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

tooterfish posted:

Hahaha, comic genius.

In his defence, we all make mistakes when we're young... wait, what's that? He was 25 and working in a school?

Oh.

What I'm pointing out is that I believe wulfknight and Ben have known each other for longer than this star citizen thing.

And might be the reason why no action was taken against wulf for sending dick pics to female star citizens. Hell, they promoted him to work at events.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah I know. I just think it's worth reminding everyone (and new people) just how hosed up what he said is.

DapperDon posted:

For a company that boasts all of the greatest of fidelities, I would be embarrassed to have poo poo like this associated with my business. There is just something ironic about it being a "Best Price" graphic for a company that has been given $140+ Million.
You're assuming Chris Roberts knows shame.

We're talking about a guy who pretended to code live on camera.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

tooterfish posted:

We're talking about a guy who pretended to code live on camera.

Noooooo. When was this?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

The worm turns.

What if this stupid watermark fail is the turd that makes the shitbarrel flow over?

I couldn't think of a better beginning of the end, seriously.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Just think, to replace that 10KB texture will require a 2GB download.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What if this stupid watermark fail is the turd that makes the shitbarrel flow over?

I couldn't think of a better beginning of the end, seriously.

What makes this one different from the couple of dozen cases that preceded it?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

DapperDon posted:

Noooooo. When was this?

I haven't seen it but I like to imagine he put on a matrix green rain screensaver on.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

A minor problem with this type of crazy thinking and something I was considering earlier today, is that I still have a basic star citizen game package. It would me cost me nothing to download and install Star Citizen right now, run around the few demo maps they have hitting screenshot. Someone here would find more watermarked (presumably stolen) art in the logos I upload. However even considering the wonderful Citizen drama that would cause, the very idea of downloading/installing Star Citizen is so off putting that I haven't done it.

The idea anyone who knows anything about the "Star Engine" would download it in 2017 to actually try to play it, is beyond me.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

:smuggo:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
To be fair I do still desperatetly try to find a meaning to my sad existence rofl.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

That's fantastic :v:
Here's a top tip: When something is made available for purchase it is no longer concept art

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MeLKoR posted:

What makes this one different from the couple of dozen cases that preceded it?

This one gets upvoted and the usual suspects are waddling uphill to counter our FUD narrative. Also the possibility of getting a refund is better known

One of these days some basic, painfully mundane fuckup will make the bubble burst, we will all look at it and wonder what the gently caress made this one special

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm so glad I still have fresh star citizen chat logs
code:
16:13       voon | eve? sue cig? I'm not sure I recall that
16:13 lordmalloc | and why are they "going to do " this?
16:13     raivyn | so the devs of eve...sueing CIG lols the fk
16:13     raivyn | gl with that fail
16:13       voon | "You took our idea of an online space game!"?
16:13     raivyn | will make the internet laugh
16:14   iamvader | evidentally in the normal process of making a bit of concept art, one of the artist used anebula thats in EVE as background
16:14   iamvader | it was put in a recent newsletter
16:14   iamvader | now everyone is saying CIG used owned IP to market SC  
16:14    starlin | lol @ Labracadabrador
16:15       voon | sounds liek fake news
16:15       voon | or alternative facts, how you call em these days
16:15     raivyn | yep sounds like the usual news off reddit
16:15   iamvader | not fake news, just uninformed idiots
16:15   iamvader | who don't know the vast majority of concept art is just copy pasta'd
16:15   iamvader | because it's just that, a concept

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

Here's my own recollection of history...

Before Derek was on the scene, people like Beer4TheBeerGod were already doubting the project was possible, and actively posting about it being junk.

Now I don't believe the whole "it's a scam" came up before Derek though, he was involved by then.

But even without Derek, I think we'd all be at the same place today, though probably with less mass comedy and there'd be no hate forum on reddit dedicated to him.

Unfortunately Derek existing or not existing in the games timeline doesn't make it suddenly be great. Star Citizen would still be in the same condition it is now. Really though, it might be in worse condition today without Derek, because no doubt Chris has spent many hours yelling at people to get more done just to prove Derek wrong. In a comically round about fashion, Derek's involvement has probably helped Star Citizen be a better game. :shrug:

This is the point being missed by practically every backer. They might not know it, but every conversation they have - every important argument they have on "the internet" which they believe defending CIG somehow helps them - is nothing more than a giant Bioware RPG conversation tree.

It's the illusion of free choice followed by the forcible ramrodding of the sickening and heartbreaking truths of the developer's intended plot down their throats regardless of what conversation path they pick.

"We need you to kill 10 rats to save my daughter!"
- I will kill these 10 rats.
"Thank you! My child will be safe again!"

"We need you to kill 10 rate to save my daughter!"
- gently caress off, I don't care about your kid.
"That's so rude! To not care? Well here is cash payment then, come back when they are dead!"

Except with CIG the final result, regardless of every single internet conversation ever partaken in, is the game not coming out. That is literally the only given in this whole debacle. The exact path we take to that inevitable conclusion has varied and humorous twists and turns, but all roads lead to collapse.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

That's fantastic :v:
Here's a top tip: When something is made available for purchase it is no longer concept art

Look dude, there's just no way you've got the words to make Mr_Streaked change his mind

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

There's not a :smuggo: big enough to represent how I feel watching Cymelion go "Oh yeah I checked it's definitely stolen this is shady as gently caress" before trying to defend the loving Prowler/Copperhead ripoff later in the comment chain.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DapperDon posted:

Noooooo. When was this?
Couple of years ago, couldn't tell you which show (they've done that loving many).

He sat glassy eyed in front of an open IDE for a few minutes, typing like a grandmother learning how to "electronic mail".

It was pathetic, so citizens lapped it up obviously. Chris is the greatest coder since god.

edit: tax

No, I don't know either.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 2, 2017

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

There's not a :smuggo: big enough to represent how I feel watching Cymelion go "Oh yeah I checked it's definitely stolen this is shady as gently caress" before trying to defend the loving Prowler/Copperhead ripoff later in the comment chain.

He's latched on to the narrative that its one lowly artist doing misdeeds but he can't push that with entire ships.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

This one gets upvoted and the usual suspects are waddling uphill to counter our FUD narrative. Also the possibility of getting a refund is better known

One of these days some basic, painfully mundane fuckup will make the bubble burst, we will all look at it and wonder what the gently caress made this one special

These people don't mind getting scammed by CIG, why would they mind CIG scamming 123rf?

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

This is the point being missed by practically every backer. They might not know it, but every conversation they have - every important argument they have on "the internet" which they believe defending CIG somehow helps them - is nothing more than a giant Bioware RPG conversation tree.

It's the illusion of free choice followed by the forcible ramrodding of the sickening and heartbreaking truths of the developer's intended plot down their throats regardless of what conversation path they pick.

"We need you to kill 10 rats to save my daughter!"
- I will kill these 10 rats.
"Thank you! My child will be safe again!"

"We need you to kill 10 rate to save my daughter!"
- gently caress off, I don't care about your kid.
"That's so rude! To not care? Well here is cash payment then, come back when they are dead!"

Except with CIG the final result, regardless of every single internet conversation ever partaken in, is the game not coming out. That is literally the only given in this whole debacle. The exact path we take to that inevitable conclusion has varied and humorous twists and turns, but all roads lead to collapse.

You're saying this game of ours is on rails then?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I love this man! :allears:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Beer4theBeerGod, wanted for industrial espionage...

AND INDUSTRIAL SABOTAGE!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Look dude, there's just no way you've got the words to make Mr_Streaked change his mind

I have met my match

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: Watermarking our territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/kxdSb35.mp4