Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Perhaps as a somewhat out there question, but would ice asteroid mining be something that could solve water insecurity if the logistics were solved?

"If the logistics were solved" is a pretty big "if"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Munin posted:

I think it is fair to take the initial pitch, which was definitely of the "this will solve the North's water problem" variety, when assessing the eventual outcome. I do agree that is it stupid if your takeaway is that it did nothing.

The big question is how much the focus on that megaproject took resources and attention away from potentially more effective measures. You mentioned that the CCP have been taking measure around water rates etc. Have they had effective programs around improving their water productivity?

You also have to say, again, that China's water issue is shared by many places, including the US, and I don't know of any place which has managed to overcome all the political, institutional, and practical hurdles to solve it in a sustainable manner.

I guess the question if it was designed to solve " current problems" versus "total water supply", the system at least now is designed to be mostly supplemental. It may be the case with climate change it becomes the primary water supply for the region but that is still a bit off.

It is true you can use water rationing and rates to guide usage, but at the same time, since the region it is supplying has both significant agricultural and industrial output, the question becomes how much rates will cut into that output versus subsidizing it with more water. In addition, as I said, in a more extreme climate scenario (but still very much a possible one), it may be necessary to supply it with the canal alone and in that case obviously everything has to change but nevertheless, life would still continue.

I would say it is still significantly more cost-efficient than desalination plants or something more exotic (space elevators aren't possible yet and as is space ice mining).
However, in comparison, the US West anything is in a bit more of a pickle when it comes water if both the Sierra Nevadas/Rockies go simply because it would be much harder to build a canal from anywhere useful (also the Cascades would probably be under a significant pressure of their own). Desalinization plants are probably going to have to be built.

Admittedly, the North-South project is late and way over budget, but considering the needs and the threats, it is very hard to actually say it is useless or really failed here. Of course, if the Yangtze is dry then all bets are off but if the Tibetan plateau goes...it isn't a good sign for mankind.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 4, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

"If the logistics were solved" is a pretty big "if"!

I mean a space elevator (assuming China's research into carbon nanotubes is on pace) would solve those logistics pretty well. Retrieving large quantities of material from space is trivial with a space elevator; a little less trivial with a sky hook/loop which can fairly cheaply get stuff in and out of orbit, probably not as much though.

Without any of those I suppose you could process the water/ores in space and parachute/glide them down; or develop a reuseable rocket system that can with quick turnaround get back into orbit; as more of space gets used the incentivies to iterate on the technology and economies would scale would help drive down the price.

e: Tbf space asteroid mining *is* something the private sector is seriously looking into and is raising funds for, I think the moment it becomes feasible in the next 50 years is going to be a part of the puzzle that China glomps onto.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
When did people start thinking China was on pace to make a space elevator, or is that somewhat out of left field.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kavros posted:

When did people start thinking China was on pace to make a space elevator, or is that somewhat out of left field.

Nonono, no one thinks this. China is however making cool strides in carbon-nanotube research and China is one of the few countries with interest/political will to do megaengineering projects so if a space elevator was feasible its simple extrapolation to assume China will run full tilt to be the first.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
If we're going to indulge in this sort of sci-fi scenario, why not posit, say, a hyper-efficient and large-scale method for filtering the salt from seawater? That would solve the problem more directly.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 5, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

If we're going to indulge in this sort of sci-fi scenarios, why not posit, say, a hyper-efficient and large-scale method for filtering the salt from seawater? That would solve the problem more directly.

But do you know of such a method; there's a difference between "I wave a magic wand and all my problems are solved" and "I wave a magic wand to build a really really tall building".

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Raenir Salazar posted:

But do you know of such a method; there's a difference between "I wave a magic wand and all my problems are solved" and "I wave a magic wand to build a really really tall building".

what’s the difference?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

what’s the difference?

Because we can imagine and extrapolate what "really tall building" means in a way that can facilitate discussion. While saying "Well what about water desal thats 99% efficient" is just kinda wild mass guessing when there's nothing even hypothetically being researched that will work that well.

Basically speculation needs some sort of grounding to make it understandable, interesting, and ultimately needs to be to some degree hypothetically feasible in that the steps can be identified. We can identify the steps in which China could take an interest in exploiting resources in da belt and how it aligns with their national interest.

As far as I know there's no steps between current desal technology and magic desal technology; at least identify interesting intermediate steps that are googleable and exist in Youtube videos to provide an entertaining bit of popular science and go "Huh, that's cool."

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Raenir Salazar posted:

Because we can imagine and extrapolate what "really tall building" means in a way that can facilitate discussion. While saying "Well what about water desal thats 99% efficient" is just kinda wild mass guessing when there's nothing even hypothetically being researched that will work that well.

Basically speculation needs some sort of grounding to make it understandable, interesting, and ultimately needs to be to some degree hypothetically feasible in that the steps can be identified. We can identify the steps in which China could take an interest in exploiting resources in da belt and how it aligns with their national interest.

As far as I know there's no steps between current desal technology and magic desal technology; at least identify interesting intermediate steps that are googleable and exist in Youtube videos to provide an entertaining bit of popular science and go "Huh, that's cool."

you think it’s more realistic, interesting, and relevant to talk about china harvesting ice asteroids for agricultural irrigation than it is to talk about more efficient desalination? are you sure?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

you think it’s more realistic, interesting, and relevant to talk about china harvesting ice asteroids for agricultural irrigation than it is to talk about more efficient desalination? are you sure?

Curious, it seems you have misunderstood my meaning, probably because you missed that it's in response to Silver's post:

quote:

If we're going to indulge in this sort of sci-fi scenarios, why not posit, say, a hyper-efficient and large-scale method for filtering the salt from seawater? That would solve the problem more directly.

How does it reach this hyper-efficiency. What is the hypothetical breakthrough in material science that will bring this about that will result in desalination to not have the drawbacks it currently has even if you were to scale up and massively invest in it? Is it nuclear fusion? China is making good progress on nuclear fusion which is cool, but is that what Silver has in mind?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Raenir Salazar posted:

Curious, it seems you have misunderstood my meaning, probably because you missed that it's in response to Silver's post:

How does it reach this hyper-efficiency. What is the hypothetical breakthrough in material science that will bring this about that will result in desalination to not have the drawbacks it currently has even if you were to scale up and massively invest in it? Is it nuclear fusion? China is making good progress on nuclear fusion which is cool, but is that what Silver has in mind?

who cares? you missed his point. he doesn't actually want to talk about sci fi desalination, he's saying the entire line of discussion is nonsense. which it is.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

who cares? you missed his point. he doesn't actually want to talk about sci fi desalination, he's saying the entire line of discussion is nonsense. which it is.

I assume Silver is contributing to the conversation in good faith and that it was in earnest.

I certainly care, you don't have to participate in the discussion if you don't want to. :shrug:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I assume Silver is contributing to the conversation in good faith and that it was in earnest.

I certainly care, you don't have to participate in the discussion if you don't want to. :shrug:

Thank you for your faith in me, but I'm afraid I was being somewhat sarcastic there.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

Those people typically aren't on the street assaulting people; unless they're an example of the former upper-middle class who are about to or already have lost their business and blame it on China.

So Donald Trump and Marsha Blackburn are working class then

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yossarian-22 posted:

So Donald Trump and Marsha Blackburn are working class then

I don't recall who Marsha Blackburn is but Donald Trump is still last I checked, a part of the 1%?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

The point being that you relegated discrimination against Chinese people to a white working class issue when it clearly isn't one. In general poor people commit more street violence but that doesn't mean bigotry is exclusive to that sector of society

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yossarian-22 posted:

The point being that you relegated discrimination against Chinese people to a white working class issue when it clearly isn't one. In general poor people commit more street violence but that doesn't mean bigotry is exclusive to that sector of society

No one said it's exclusive to it? But ultimately they're the ones voting in people who fan those flames that result in street violence; it's a feedback cycle.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/11/13/white-trump-voters-are-richer-than-they-appear/

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/5/9/15592634/trump-clinton-racism-economy-prri-survey

https://www.dissentmagazine.org/online_articles/poverty-doesnt-make-you-racist

"As the data show, among high-school-educated white voters, it is the richer members of that group who most dismiss the salience of racial discrimination. The poorest white people are the only income group where a majority believes racism drives the racial economic gap—undercutting the idea that racism is the result of economic suffering. The denial of racism is strongest among high-school grads making $90,000 or more a year. The same is true of college grads and those with graduate degrees: those with higher incomes generally deny the prominence of racism at higher rates than lower-income members of the same educational level. Rather than racism being driven by personal economic pressure, far more compelling are theories that see white racism as stemming from voters justifying their own relative economic success, and their “fear of falling” (as Barbara Ehrenreich put it) if society became more equal."

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 5, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I don't see how that actually relates to anything I actually said in addition to this not having much to do with China at this point.

Also your own sources contradicts what I assume your argument is:

quote:

Since the 2016 elections, Democrats have endlessly debated how to reach the “white working class”—a demographically imprecise group alleged to have gone for Trump in big numbers. As multiple studies have shown, all white voters are in fact intensely polarized into two groups: one, open to progressive appeals, that recognizes racism is a reality in our society, and a second group, unfortunately larger, that thinks racial inequality barely exists and was mobilized by Trump’s racist appeals.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Again, you make the same classist argument of dismissing xenophobia and racism as a "white working class" issue when income doesn't correlate with racism at all. Moreover it is often exclusionary policies enacted by suburban or bourgeois whites that have the greatest impact on discrimination, in addition to hiring practices. That's not to say that the working class can't be racist, but the trope of the "white working-class" Trump voter has been debunked time and time again.

Two-thirds of Trump voters made over $50k per year. As many made over $100k as less than $50k. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/06/05/its-time-to-bust-the-myth-most-trump-voters-were-not-working-class/

Anyway my previous post was edited for clarity because one quote in particular should make this clear

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 5, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Raenir Salazar posted:

Space elevators will never happen.

Imagine building a bridge from Los Angeles to Sydney. That's just over 10,000km. Can you imagine that ever being done? The cost? The time? The resources?

Now imagine someone building a bridge 70,000km long, vertically.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Yeah china will just have to farm their ice asteroids the old fashioned way, by rocket-shippe

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Imagine building a bridge from Los Angeles to Sydney. That's just over 10,000km. Can you imagine that ever being done? The cost? The time? The resources?

There are many things wrong with this, first of course is you're making a fallacious analogy here between the difficulty a bridge on Earth of an arbitrarily long length and making a space elevator when these are such completely different engineering challenges as to not even be apples and oranges but the difference between a piece of fruit and an asteroid. This is an analogy with zero basis in fact. You're not building a 70,000 km bridge of concrete and steel up into the sky, that's a fantasy completely out of left field and wrong that you don't seem to understand what a space elevator even is. If someone wanted to extend a rope from an airplane a km up from the water dragging a buoy behind it no sane person suggests building a step ladder up to the plane!

Currently space elevators are still science fiction not because of how difficult they may or may not be to build, but because the cable with the strength requires hypothetical materials that don't exist yet; and of course may never exist; but that still of course doesn't make your comparison a valid one; and you don't seem to know what current proposals suggest which isn't to build it from the ground up like a skyscrapper, but probably from a space station in orbit extending the cable threading down to Earth via robots.

Maybe the base of the elevator is probably some small mountain size steel and concrete structure as it needs to be able to hold the cable that is being held aloft via centrifugal forces of the Earth's rotation, but that's not even remotely on par with a 70,000 mile long bridge to nowhere.

However China doesn't even need a space elevator right now to make good use out of space and asteroid mining, they can build Skyhooks with modern technology.

The point though of mentioning space elevators is that they are (a) cool and (b) China is probably the only nation that if the means were available that would be able to muster the political will due to geopolitical necessity to build one; forcing the West to play catchup. Given their position in the South China Sea they might even be well positioned to take advantage of the ease of building one close to the equator. Because (c) since in the future China might find themselves cut off from important resources that the Belt and Road Initiative might not be able to compensate for, especially in the case of a war with the US over Taiwan which could result in the Straights of Malacca being blocked; getting resources from the asteroid belt might be something China's leadership might be keeping a very serious eye on because it solves many of their problems with ready relative ease.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Megillah Gorilla posted:

These are very dissimilar things. Visual sci-fi does a terrible job conveying this. There is no additional structure besides the ground mount, it is purely the tether. If/when a sufficiently strong tether can be made of arbitrary length, an Earth based elevator could be made.

If levels of investment remain similar, China would probably have a better shot at a space elevator than most other current space faring nations.

e:f;b

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 5, 2021

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

quote:

There are many things wrong with this, first of course is you're making a fallacious analogy here between the difficulty a bridge on Earth of an arbitrarily long length and making a space elevator when these are such completely different engineering challenges as to not even be apples and oranges but the difference between a piece of fruit and an asteroid. This is an analogy with zero basis in fact. You're not building a 70,000 km bridge of concrete and steel up into the sky, that's a fantasy completely out of left field and wrong that you don't seem to understand what a space elevator even is.

even if this were the right thread for this kind of thing as opposed to some kind of Megastructure Dream Theory Stellarisposting thread, your eagerness to scrap on the subject isn't helping make sky elevator advocacy come off as grounded and reasonable. also china is not going to be making a space elevator

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Staluigi posted:

eagerness to scrap on the subject isn't helping... come off as grounded and reasonable.

This hasn't stopped people from doing the same about other subjects. :v:

Staluigi posted:

also china is not going to be making a space elevator

I think this is the key point that should be focused on that is most relevant for this thread, not on the feasibility of the structure in question; why do you think China wouldn't be making one; if they had the means? Are they not geopolitically and geographically well suited? If they made a engineering and scientific breakthrough tomorrow that enabled them to mass produce at economically sustainable scales the materials why wouldn't they?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Is my web browser malfunctioning, or did I accidentally click the spaceflight thread in SAL?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Raenir Salazar posted:

why do you think China wouldn't be making one; if they had the means?

why wouldn't china be making mecha or ringworlds or dyson spheres if they had the means? should we waste time on the discussion?

myself i am patiently waiting for china to achieve Zero Active Turbo-Gross Genocides, which will be a greater achievement than any of those things and more pertinent in any sense

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think this is the key point that should be focused on that is most relevant for this thread, not on the feasibility of the structure in question; why do you think China wouldn't be making one; if they had the means? Are they not geopolitically and geographically well suited? If they made a engineering and scientific breakthrough tomorrow that enabled them to mass produce at economically sustainable scales the materials why wouldn't they?

they don’t have the means. nobody does. as far as i can tell, it’s not even a priority for any country on earth. there’s not really anything to discuss

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
<snip>

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Is my web browser malfunctioning, or did I accidentally click the spaceflight thread in SAL?

Yeah, this isn't the thread for it

EDIT: but this is still cool as poo poo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Raenir Salazar posted:

what do you think it would do to the global geopolitical climate if china got a space elevator? do you think it would lead to military action?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Currently space elevators are still science fiction not because of how difficult they may or may not be to build, but because the cable with the strength requires hypothetical materials that don't exist yet; and of course may never exist;

I was gonna pick on the extended derail, but this is some S-tier comedy posting. Please continue!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

what do you think it would do to the global geopolitical climate if china got a space elevator? do you think it would lead to military action?

Do you think it would? I'm not sure why it would; Singapore would likely become exponentially richer as a result and every neighbouring country would benefit; and of course any nation that desired to cheaply make use of it.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

just imagine the 85-year-old man in a half-buttoned space suit who sits on a wooden stool chainsmoking cigarettes and pushing the buttons of the space elevator for everyone

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

If technologically we could make a space elevator, China would be working on one.

and the USA would engage in a spite race to build one faster because that is pretty much what we did when the soviets started putting rockets in space.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

they don’t have the means. nobody does. as far as i can tell, it’s not even a priority for any country on earth. there’s not really anything to discuss

So as it turns out this is wrong!

China actually does in fact plan on building a space elevator by 2045.

And so far via google cost estimates of a space elevator range from like 6 to 10 billion dollars which is nothing on the scale of national budgets; I was expecting an estimate closer to a trillion dollars which is a major investment on par with the F-35 program over 30 years or 1 Iraq War but its doable for superstates like EU, China or the US; but a mere ten billion dollars is a rounding error as far as most large economies are concerned. A private sector company like Amazon could do it.

quote:

Wang Xiaojun, Director of the state-owned Chinese Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology (CALT), explained during a conference addressed to academics last Wednesday the three phases of the Asian country’s plan for future expeditions to Mars.

The first phase will be dedicated to technological preparation. The plan is to send robotic vehicles to collect samples from Mars and identify a site to establish a base. The second involves a manned mission that will carry out the construction of the base on Mars. And the third will consist of setting up a transport network for carry cargo from Earth to Mars and build a community on the planet.

The academy also announced the launch date for these missions. They will be every two years starting in 2033 and ending in 2043.

Design of a space elevator. (Jonny Leahan and Miguel Drake-McLaughlin)
Wang also announced that the creation of a space elevator is being studied that serves as a shuttle for all kinds of space travel, from manned missions to the transport of goods. Although he did not specify what this space elevator would look like, the idea is not new and many researchers and engineers have been proposing different methods to carry it out since it first came to light at the end of the 19th century.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

So as it turns out this is wrong!

China actually does in fact plan on building a space elevator by 2045.

And so far via google cost estimates of a space elevator range from like 6 to 10 billion dollars which is nothing on the scale of national budgets; I was expecting an estimate closer to a trillion dollars which is a major investment on par with the F-35 program over 30 years or 1 Iraq War but its doable for superstates like EU, China or the US; but a mere ten billion dollars is a rounding error as far as most large economies are concerned. A private sector company like Amazon could do it.

The article is quoting a single dude who happens to be the director of one of China's space launch providers. Extrapolating from his wish-casting and saying "China plans to build a space elevator" is a bit of a stretch. Xiaojun speaks for China the country probably as much as Elon Musk speaks for USA the country. That is, not at all.

Your cost estimates are grossly off. The "6 to 10 billion dollars" numbers seem to be coming from questionable sources, such as (in the case of $6 billion) the president of International Space Elevator Consortium. Aside from the fact that it's impossible to estimate the cost of what is basically a science-fiction project (which would also be the most ambitious construction project in human history by far), we don't even have the capability to manufacture graphene at the amounts or lengths necessary, or the means to actually deploy it as a vertical tether.

There are several threads around the forums where you can post about a Space Elevator and very knowledgeable people will explain why it's a fantasy project:

Space thread here in D&D
Space and Spaceflight thread in Science, Academics and Languages
Physics and Astronimy thread in Science, Academics and Languages
An entire subforum dedicated to space (it even has a space elevator thread!)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Slow News Day posted:

The article is quoting a single dude who happens to be the director of one of China's space launch providers. Extrapolating from his wish-casting and saying "China plans to build a space elevator" is a bit of a stretch. Xiaojun speaks for China the country probably as much as Elon Musk speaks for USA the country. That is, not at all.

Your cost estimates are grossly off. The "6 to 10 billion dollars" numbers seem to be coming from questionable sources, such as (in the case of $6 billion) the president of International Space Elevator Consortium. Aside from the fact that it's impossible to estimate the cost of what is basically a science-fiction project (which would also be the most ambitious construction project in human history by far), we don't even have the capability to manufacture graphene at the amounts or lengths necessary, or the means to actually deploy it as a vertical tether.

There are several threads around the forums where you can post about a Space Elevator and very knowledgeable people will explain why it's a fantasy project:

Space thread here in D&D
Space and Spaceflight thread in Science, Academics and Languages
Physics and Astronimy thread in Science, Academics and Languages
An entire subforum dedicated to space (it even has a space elevator thread!)

I think there's some unpacking that needs to be done.

First I already post in the space thread so I think it is unnecessarily patronizing and assuming the conclusion to suggest I should go to some other thread to be "told" that it's a fantasy project; that's just unnecessarily antagonistic way of approaching it. I am aware of the various and potential problems and pitfalls, I was there, in those threads, in some of those discussions. I am not convinced it is impossible, but if you want to move the discussion there you can do so and we can continue it there.

Second, that there is a through line here in how the discussion started and developed; I had mentioned/asked off hand, would ice asteroid mining help solve China's water problems, if the problems of transporting those materials to China can be solved. In response to someone else's post I mentioned off hand a space elevator might be one answer, or a skyhook, and so on. As I had already mentioned a skyhook isn't science fiction. There's a weird sort of tunnel vision where a number of people decided to hyperfocus on that one minor off hand thing instead of the broader point of discussion. I responded to posts that were incorrect or levied fallacious arguments like comparing constructing a space elevator to construction a 70,000 mile long bridge because they're egregious; and while discussing a space elevator may not be super thread relevant I at least made the attempt to keep it relevant to discussing China each time I could.

Third, I'm not going to address the specific details of your post because I don't particularly wish to keep the discussion about space elevators in the China thread but the point of those links is to show that there is a real world interest and that there is arguably a legitimate basis to discuss certain kinds of "scifi" projects as it pertains to China in the same vein as China's nuclear fusion experiments. If Elon Musk tomorrow said he wanted to partner with China's space agency to build a space elevator I think that would be newsworthy and worth posting about in the thread just as much as Elon Musk saying anything else would have been by default, considered to be newsworthy for USPol. It was specifically in response to the argument "no one is interested in it, so there's no point in discussing it".

By the USPol standard newsworthyness tends to be always acceptable to post about stuff and then only split off to its own thread if it overwhelms all other discussion and in this case well; I'm not sure what other discussion was there. Everyone either agrees genocide is wrong and China is doing it or they don't and having to read repeated posts denying ongoing genocide gets difficult you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think there's some unpacking that needs to be done.

First I already post in the space thread so I think it is unnecessarily patronizing and assuming the conclusion to suggest I should go to some other thread to be "told" that it's a fantasy project; that's just unnecessarily antagonistic way of approaching it. I am aware of the various and potential problems and pitfalls, I was there, in those threads, in some of those discussions. I am not convinced it is impossible, but if you want to move the discussion there you can do so and we can continue it there.

Second, that there is a through line here in how the discussion started and developed; I had mentioned/asked off hand, would ice asteroid mining help solve China's water problems, if the problems of transporting those materials to China can be solved. In response to someone else's post I mentioned off hand a space elevator might be one answer, or a skyhook, and so on. As I had already mentioned a skyhook isn't science fiction. There's a weird sort of tunnel vision where a number of people decided to hyperfocus on that one minor off hand thing instead of the broader point of discussion. I responded to posts that were incorrect or levied fallacious arguments like comparing constructing a space elevator to construction a 70,000 mile long bridge because they're egregious; and while discussing a space elevator may not be super thread relevant I at least made the attempt to keep it relevant to discussing China each time I could.

Third, I'm not going to address the specific details of your post because I don't particularly wish to keep the discussion about space elevators in the China thread but the point of those links is to show that there is a real world interest and that there is arguably a legitimate basis to discuss certain kinds of "scifi" projects as it pertains to China in the same vein as China's nuclear fusion experiments. If Elon Musk tomorrow said he wanted to partner with China's space agency to build a space elevator I think that would be newsworthy and worth posting about in the thread just as much as Elon Musk saying anything else would have been by default, considered to be newsworthy for USPol. It was specifically in response to the argument "no one is interested in it, so there's no point in discussing it".

By the USPol standard newsworthyness tends to be always acceptable to post about stuff and then only split off to its own thread if it overwhelms all other discussion and in this case well; I'm not sure what other discussion was there. Everyone either agrees genocide is wrong and China is doing it or they don't and having to read repeated posts denying ongoing genocide gets difficult you know.

didn’t you bring up this ice asteroid idea in response to the discussion about how pumping tons of freshwater from south china to north china isn’t efficient enough to supply all the future water needs of north china?

how do you think they’d get the asteroid water from the space elevator (near the equator) to north china even if your idea worked?