Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

anyone ever try making a fluid wagon filling station with switchable inputs? like if i want to fill one train with lubricant and the next with sulfuric acid at the same station... seems workable but residual fluid in the pipes after filling the wagon could be problematic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

UraniumAnchor posted:

Creative mod just broke because of the bot changes they made in 0.18.7 so I'm gonna have to disagree with you there.

A modification to a vanilla sprite sheet isn't an unstable feature set.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006

Spoondick posted:

anyone ever try making a fluid wagon filling station with switchable inputs? like if i want to fill one train with lubricant and the next with sulfuric acid at the same station... seems workable but residual fluid in the pipes after filling the wagon could be problematic

Have the pump from the tank to train only run when the tank is full have another pump from the pipe set to pump excess fluid from the pipe into another tank and then from that tank into the first. This has room for failure still though. Just stagger the tanks and stations. If you pump directly from a tank to a train it is much faster.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Have fluid tanks A and B, and direct-link Z. Have Z capped off at exactly one car's worth (1/3 car per tank) via circuits, fill from A, lock pumps. Train comes in, empties tank to train, train leaves full of A. As soon as it does, circuit trips to pump residual A back to storage. After some time/testing, lock A-residual and turn on B-fill until full, etc etc

Sounds easy as a theory, probably an rear end to actually implement.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I thought pumps didn't connect to a tanker if connecting would mix fluids.

So you could use a two pump setup, with each pump dedicated to its product, right?

Edit: though I guess you'd have to leave some in the tanker car from where you drop it off, tomake this work...

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 20, 2020

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Spoondick posted:

This is what I came up with for use with LTN

Each of those pumps is connected to that decider combinator stack, and set to only turn on if the requested fluid matches what's in the pipes. These are set manually when I'm first building the station.

The left pumps only turn on if the train is requesting sulfuric acid, while center-lubricant and right-waste water pumps would stay off.

The main issue is to make sure that you never have any residual liquid in the fluid wagons or the system just gets completely clogged as each train will wait the default 200 seconds before leaving since it never fills up.

If you're not using LTN I think you could set up some kind of circuits where the output pumps at the other end of the line only drain out all but 100 units of liquid from the fluid wagons. Then the trains would come in already slightly filled, which would only allow the correct fluid to be pumped even if there's no circuit set up at the input station. But you'd need one or more train per output station for that to work right.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

GotLag posted:

A modification to a vanilla sprite sheet isn't an unstable feature set.

A patch release including a breaking change is pretty much the definition of "unstable api".

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yeah, nah.

It's a change that was extremely unlike to affect IR, unless the author suddenly became much less competent than they were on the modding discord channel.
Creative Mod was using a manually-specified part of a sprite sheet it didn't control, which is never a particularly safe or reliable thing to do.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I think it's fair for him to wait for it to leave the experimental branch.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

what im thinking right now is a double-sided fill station with pumps for each wagon attached to sulfuric acid, petroleum and lubricant on one side, and petroleum, lubricant and sulfuric acid on the other side and switching each pair of pumps per wagon on depending on the train so 2 pumps per wagon will fill

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

necrotic posted:

I think it's fair for him to wait for it to leave the experimental branch.

Yeah, updates come quick and loose early on.
And more importantly, the earlier he starts on porting it to 0.18, the more weeks of 'halp pls the newest 15 minute old hotfix caused BUGS!' he has to endure.

I can completely understand wanting to put it all off for later.
I'm amazed at how quickly in general factorio mod devs update their mods, but it does kind of create unrealistic expectations for the ones that don't have the time, energy, or drive to keep their mods updated.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
I fix the "tiny bit of leftover fluid" problem at the depot.

This cycles through pumps when a train is stopped at the depot waiting for its next assignment. There's room for a few modded fluids if you wanted to cram them in, but due to the changes to the fluid system in 0.17, I don't think there's a generalized solution to this problem that works with any number of fluids, you'd have to send trains through a sequence of stations every time and I don't think LTN will let you do that.

The extra bits of fluid get sent to an adjacent filling station, so as soon as they have enough for an LTN request, the train just goes straight from the depot to the local filling station to the requester and doesn't have to go out to a provider first, which is pretty nice if you have a sprawling rail network.

I haven't bothered trying to solve multiple fluids at a single provider station though, it's way easier to just slap down the same blueprint twice.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
If you are running LTN you can have buffer/unloading tanks that are not connected to the stop, but pumping into storage. That way you can be sure the train will always have room to fully unload.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Mods Update - adding to the list I posted earlier

A little mod showcase. I got around to cleansing the continent that stretches around my island on all sides except the south. In nuclear fire.

I tried making a beachhead to set up forward bases with lasers and canons but Rampant just made any foothold untenable. So I kicked up refined uranium production.

Which brings me to the mod I'd like to recommend. Mushroom Cloud.

It leaves behind a cloud of radioactivity that damages everything near where the bomb went off for a few minutes (a Geiger counter sound plays during this effect). This helps whittle down the boil of biters that comes surging, and makes easier work of them for the bulwarks I did wind up building as I cleared sections of the continent.

That's a teleporter pad behind the middle roboport, and behind the line of laser turrets is a large cannon turret and a (regular speed) rocket turret, the last of which winds up doing most of the work since it has a much longer range than the other two.

But that was just for mopping up the counter-attack. The artillery turret (which I manually fed nuclear ammo one-at-a-time to minimize wastage) did the bulk of the work. Then I went out on foot and finished them off.

The craters fade after a while so there's not much point in naming the continent Aberdeen.

The continent is secured, and now I have all the land and resources I could ever need to build an absolutely staggering megabase.

But that brings me to the next mod that I'm ambivalent about - Klonan's Mining Drones.

I had dropped the Robot Mining Site mod I never got around to using since it hadn't updated for .18 fast enough (and once it did it had a really dumb bug in version detection that really should have been caught), so when I saw the much more popular mod by Klonan (who works on the game) I jumped at it.

Simply put - it's probably overpowered. It has a trivial setup cost compared to the rate of mining available with no modules or beacons. 288 drones was way too many I found out - half that for 8 belts is more than enough. I'm tempted to get into modding just to add upgrade levels for drones that take different materials (they don't even use green circuits - no copper at all in fact), and limit the mining rate of the first tier.

Lastly, I uninstalled Honk. It's obnoxious after a while.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Duodecimal posted:

Lastly, I uninstalled Honk. It's obnoxious after a while.

Mods?!?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Sorry for trying to inject some life into your Fortress of Solitude

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

:mods:

GotLag posted:

Sorry for trying to inject some life into your Fortress of Solitude

I just launched slightly over 300 nuclear weapons to ensure I was as alone as possible.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just got this game like two days ago and the first mod I want is something to make inserters capable of operating at 90 degrees. Does this exist?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There is, Side Inserters, but it's not really a good thing. The constraints are what make designing things in factorio interesting, and they are really well designed.

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?

bird food bathtub posted:

Just got this game like two days ago and the first mod I want is something to make inserters capable of operating at 90 degrees. Does this exist?

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Side%20Inserters Side Inserters by our own GotLag
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/bobinserters or Bob's Adjustable Inserters which has the upgrades locked behind research

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

K8.0 posted:

There is, Side Inserters, but it's not really a good thing. The constraints are what make designing things in factorio interesting, and they are really well designed.

And I'm enjoying most of them, but the inserters limitation is just driving me loving bonkers. I just don't like that one.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Customizable inserters are fine because you are still consuming the single most important resource, the placement and configuration investment time by the player.

Plus, having a slightly more compact factory just means it becomes even more silly when you try and snake an additional conveyor in - it doesn't really make things easier or faster or less complex in the long run, it just allows for a different shaped band-aid.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

K8.0 posted:

Side Inserters still have the important constraint of having to be orthogonally adjacent to both their input and output. They also add their own constraint, in that side insertion is significantly faster than straight-line insertion, but making use of that speed is more involved than simply laying down a bunch of parallel inserters.

If 90° insertion was the only option the base game provided, you'd be saying exactly the same things about a mod called Straight Inserters.

And you'd still be wrong.

Bhodi posted:

Plus, having a slightly more compact factory just means it becomes even more silly when you try and snake an additional conveyor in - it doesn't really make things easier or faster or less complex in the long run, it just allows for a different shaped band-aid.

This is my favourite part. They tempt me into making a maximally-compact factory, which then bites me in the rear end an hour later when I need to change something slightly

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
For a feature as powerful and as deeply embedded in the game as belt lanes, it's strangely bereft of tools to make use of it. Until the somewhat recent addition of filters to splitters, your only options for loving around with lanes were side-loading, and if you wanted to block a single lane you had to take the extremely intuitive step of side-loading your belt into an underground belt (!).

Splitter filters help a lot but simply being able to choose which lane an inserter drops poo poo on to feels like something that's missing from vanilla (which is why it's in Side Inserters, Ctrl+F)

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I like to think that side loading and underground splitting were unintended features that early players discovered before the devs had a chance to implement what they actually intended for those functions, and decided that they'd enshrine them in the game as a testament to player ingenuity.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Another example of enshrined half-assedness was barrelling. Long-distance pipelines didn't have enough throughput with frequent pumping stations, so barrels were added as a quick and dirty temporary fix to let players put oil on trains. It took a long time for the fluid wagon mod to be incorporated into vanilla, and only then were barrel sizes and stacks rebalanced to not be absurdly more dense than fluid wagons.

There was an almost four-year period in which a single 1x1 iron chest could hold more oil (in barrels) than a 3x3 storage tank.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 29, 2020

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

GotLag posted:

Another example of enshrined half-assedness was barrelling. Long-distance pipelines didn't have enough throughput with frequent pumping stations, so barrels were added as a quick and dirty temporary fix to let players put oil on trains. It took a long time for the fluid wagon mod to be incorporated into vanilla, and only then were barrel sizes and stacks rebalanced to not be absurdly more dense than fluid wagons.

There was an almost four-year period in which a single 1x1 iron chest could hold more oil (in barrels) than a 3x3 storage tank.

I still think chests are like icebergs, in that you only see a small part of it above ground.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I still used fluid wagons (even before they officially implemented them) and storage tanks because barrels were :effort:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I wonder how much crude oil ends up in actual barrels in the real world

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Got ran over by my first train last night. Is this some kind of rite of passage? Feels like it is.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

bird food bathtub posted:

Got ran over by my first train last night. Is this some kind of rite of passage? Feels like it is.

It is indeed, congratulations. The next step is installing GotLag's Honk mod. :)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Important update in Mods With Snappy Titles news! An Evil Refinery From a Mirror Universe (With a Goatee) has been released, to replace the now-deprecated MMOTO.

The new release has an option to add little fluid icons to each mirrored recipe to show the relative positions of inputs/outputs. This is useful for people like me who can't remember what fluid goes where, but can get really cluttered on recipes like coal liquefaction, so it defaults to off.

A bit more detail on the reddit post because I don't feel like typing it twice.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

GotLag posted:

Important update in Mods With Snappy Titles news! An Evil Refinery From a Mirror Universe (With a Goatee) has been released, to replace the now-deprecated MMOTO.

The new release has an option to add little fluid icons to each mirrored recipe to show the relative positions of inputs/outputs. This is useful for people like me who can't remember what fluid goes where, but can get really cluttered on recipes like coal liquefaction, so it defaults to off.

A bit more detail on the reddit post because I don't feel like typing it twice.

I'm so happy you decided to use that name for the mod. It's absolutely perfect in every way.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm plugging away at my Krastorio playthough. I'm up to blue circuits and starting to look at the memory cards for research. Up until then all my resources were full, but as soon as blue circuits came online there were deficiencies everywhere. The factory grows...

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Is there a way to make sure an inserter that is moving multiple items into a filtered container not get stuck holding an item after that type gets full but theres room to put in more of another item?
Is it just disabling stack size so they always only move 1 item at a time?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Canuckistan posted:

I'm plugging away at my Krastorio playthough. I'm up to blue circuits and starting to look at the memory cards for research. Up until then all my resources were full, but as soon as blue circuits came online there were deficiencies everywhere. The factory grows...

You doing Legacy or Krastorio 2? I've just automated Green Science, and I'm debating switching to 2.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Foehammer posted:

You doing Legacy or Krastorio 2? I've just automated Green Science, and I'm debating switching to 2.

Did not realize K2 was out... now I have the itch to start a new game with it, but I've barely gotten started on the game I'm on! Darn it..

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I've never played with mods but K2 was linked from an official blog post so I had a look. The production values look surprisingly high.

One day after I've actually launched a rocket instead of restarting new games I'll have to give it a go.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Communist Zombie posted:

Is there a way to make sure an inserter that is moving multiple items into a filtered container not get stuck holding an item after that type gets full but theres room to put in more of another item?
Is it just disabling stack size so they always only move 1 item at a time?
Not that I know of, unfortunately. I ran into the same issue when I tried to load multiple items into a supply train with filtered slots. My solution was to use the inventory sensor mod and circuit conditions to control filter inserters instead of relying on filtered slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Foehammer posted:

Legacy. I had no idea K2 was out so I just looked and there's no upgrade path. I think I'll have to make the switch. I learned quite a bit this last game and it should make things easier starting out in K2.

Edit - Hrmm. K2 is not yet released, and still has daily/weekly releases. I might hold off yet until they hit 1.0.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 16, 2020