Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Sure it seems kind of bullshit that it's four thousand times the size of Doom 2, but I'm sure it's at least four thousand times as fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

2house2fly posted:

Sure it seems kind of bullshit that it's four thousand times the size of Doom 2, but I'm sure it's at least four thousand times as fun.

Go back to 1994 grandpa.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
At least Retard 4 is a good-rear end game and you're not downloading 25 GB of RAGE updates.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Computer games always stretch to fill the limits of what PCs can do. Programmers and designers can't resist it.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

RyokoTK posted:

At least Retard 4 is a good-rear end game

Where do I get this game?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Xenoverse 2 still does the - Guru's house is under attack - thing where if you're not supposed to actually - there's special training on offer in the business district - kill an enemy then they'll - Guru's house is under attack - be rendered invulnerable but keep fighting until their dialogue is done.

I'm not sure if you can still die while that's happening but - the Majin family has returned home - you can definitely take damage. It can happen mid-mission too if you're supposed to weaken but not kill multiple enemies. I spent a while doing side stuff - Guru's house is under attack - and I was a bit overlevelled, so I'd finish up in a minute only to spend another 30 seconds waiting for them to stop talking so they'd run away or ginyu would show up or whatever.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tardcore posted:

Where do I get this game?

Steam would work, but I hear it's like 80 GB or something silly.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

RyokoTK posted:

Steam would work, but I hear it's like 80 GB or something silly.

Checks out

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Gitro posted:

Xenoverse 2 still does the - Guru's house is under attack - thing where if you're not supposed to actually - there's special training on offer in the business district - kill an enemy then they'll - Guru's house is under attack - be rendered invulnerable but keep fighting until their dialogue is done.

I'm not sure if you can still die while that's happening but - the Majin family has returned home - you can definitely take damage. It can happen mid-mission too if you're supposed to weaken but not kill multiple enemies. I spent a while doing side stuff - Guru's house is under attack - and I was a bit overlevelled, so I'd finish up in a minute only to spend another 30 seconds waiting for them to stop talking so they'd run away or ginyu would show up or whatever.

Xenoverse 2 has apparently doubled the gently caress down on having AI allies interrupt your combos and punch enemies out of your super moves. I'm trying to get Z-Ranks Krillin you killstealing gently caress.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've been playing Car Mechanic Simulator 2015, and it owns as a "chill out and relax for an hour" type of game. But there are a couple of things that really frustrate me about the game. Like the loading times, which are typically measured in minutes. Each time you leave or go back to your garage, you're staring at a loading screen for somewhere between 90 seconds and 2 minutes, unable to alt-tab or even open the steam overlay.

The auctions are also really annoying, because you're bidding against the AI to buy junk cars to fix up and sell, or keep in your collection. The annoying part is they accurately modeled the auction in that the AI will bid only to drive the price up for you. So a piece of junk car that won't start under its own power and is missing three tires might cost you $50,000.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

dordreff posted:

Xenoverse 2 has apparently doubled the gently caress down on having AI allies interrupt your combos and punch enemies out of your super moves. I'm trying to get Z-Ranks Krillin you killstealing gently caress.

I've been noticing that.

It also seems like strike supers are once again way weaker than ki supers were in xenoverse 1. And they nerfed the best strike ultimate which I imported from 1, it's now trash against anything that isn't a great ape and it's not really that good then. 5 hours in and it's still the only strike ultimate I have.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While I am enjoying Baten Kaitos, the void and Mira haven't really won me over yet. I like the designs, but there are gameplay aspects that I dislike, like the boss in the void between islands, who not only completely nullifies dark elemental attacks he is resistant to every other element as well, leaving the only viable strategy just throwing all things at him, letting them cancel where they will and just letting the physical damage whittle him down. loving giant space penis... Also the Mystic Garden was an interesting idea for a dungeon but I hated navigating it. The Shadow Magnus boss was pretty cool though.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm loving Dishounoured 2 but the character models look really weird when they are dead. The arms aren't proportional to the body, they hang almost to their knees and their hands are bigger than their heads. When ever they end up rag dolling they look like that Ronnie Cox puppet at the end of Robocop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip7GGf2_b6Y

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I'm loving Dishounoured 2 but the character models look really weird when they are dead. The arms aren't proportional to the body, they hang almost to their knees and their hands are bigger than their heads. When ever they end up rag dolling they look like that Ronnie Cox puppet at the end of Robocop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip7GGf2_b6Y

Dishonored 2 is the first stealthy game I'm trying to play without being a sperg and quick loading every time I mess up the stealth and it's making me realize I am horrifically impatient and horrible on stealthing I am. 8/10 encounters end with me having a full blown combat fight when the stealth inevitably fails. I put the difficulty up to Very High to compensate for this however, and the combat works well so it's not a disaster when it happens - I might do a sperg run as Emily however.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the new doom is fun, i guess, but it really shouldn't be running at around 30 FPS whenever i kill an enemy on medium visual settings on my gaming PC that was made LAST YEAR. i get that hard mode is supposed to be a challenge, but it feels like any time i get hit, i need to melee kill three enemies to not die immediately, but i guess i should have been ready to get good at dodging if i wanted to play on hard mode.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Give Venom Snake more dialogue you lazy shits, jesus.

[ ] Neutralize the heavy infantry 18
[ ] Neutralize the heavy infantry 19
[ ] Neutralize the heavy infantry 20
[ ] Neutralize the heavy infantry 21...

DoubleNegative posted:

I've been playing Car Mechanic Simulator 2015, and it owns as a "chill out and relax for an hour" type of game. But there are a couple of things that really frustrate me about the game. Like the loading times, which are typically measured in minutes. Each time you leave or go back to your garage, you're staring at a loading screen for somewhere between 90 seconds and 2 minutes, unable to alt-tab or even open the steam overlay.

You using an ssd?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

spit on my clit posted:

the new doom is fun, i guess, but it really shouldn't be running at around 30 FPS whenever i kill an enemy on medium visual settings on my gaming PC that was made LAST YEAR. i get that hard mode is supposed to be a challenge, but it feels like any time i get hit, i need to melee kill three enemies to not die immediately, but i guess i should have been ready to get good at dodging if i wanted to play on hard mode.

It's not so much "dodge" as "never stop moving forward at full speed." The second you stop, eight things are gonna catch up to you and another six are gonna draw a bead on you. Staying ahead of the conga line of damage is 90% of the game. The remaining 10% is wishing you'd get another rage powerup in an all-imps arena.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Merry Christmas, thread! :toot: hopefully we all got games off the winter sales that we can whine about here!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
whatever they call those psydudes who can deal damage whenever they catch you in their line of sight suck. you can just run up next to them and they can't do poo poo. but even when you drop them the psy damage can last quite a bit and it's like someone tried to simulate vertigo.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

did someone mention conga lines of damage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixVPN8Z1jE4

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Action Tortoise posted:

Merry Christmas, thread! :toot: hopefully we all got games off the winter sales that we can whine about here!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
whatever they call those psydudes who can deal damage whenever they catch you in their line of sight suck. you can just run up next to them and they can't do poo poo. but even when you drop them the psy damage can last quite a bit and it's like someone tried to simulate vertigo.

Will never forget the first time you encounter one (I think?) when you're exiting the tunnels underneath the mil base. Love the screech and zoom into them until you riddle them with bullets. Worst enemy def would have to go to the invisible telekinetic fucks though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm with my family for the week, so the thing dragging that down is that while I'm amassing games through either gifts or just buying cheap stuff on sale, I can't play any of them.

I do have Pokemon with me, which is great, but god damnit I've got Axiom Verge, Civ VI and Stardew Valley waiting for me, plus whatever else I decide to buy in the sale.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Potato Salad posted:

You using an ssd?

No, I need to get one. Each time the game loads the garage or auction or whatever, it's loading every single part in the game, of which there are hundreds, in case you need to buy them or put them in a car. If you have multiple cars in the garage, it also has to load and render all of those parts, including all the various bits of damage on each. The developers know the loading times are awful, but they've come out and said there's basically nothing they can do about it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

No, I need to get one. Each time the game loads the garage or auction or whatever, it's loading every single part in the game, of which there are hundreds, in case you need to buy them or put them in a car. If you have multiple cars in the garage, it also has to load and render all of those parts, including all the various bits of damage on each. The developers know the loading times are awful, but they've come out and said there's basically nothing they can do about it.

Uh...for one thing it doesn't need to load all the drat assets in the game every time it loads the garage. Load them up as needed or only load up the ones that it is actually possible to show you at the moment. And if it has to load all that stuff up on every loading screen, just keep it in memory rather than dumping it and then immediately loading it back up again.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ducktales Remastered is good but feels like a crappy Shovel Knight. You've ruined platformers for me Yacht Club.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lord Lambeth posted:

Ducktales Remastered is good but feels like a crappy Shovel Knight. You've ruined platformers for me Yacht Club.

Same, only how cute the relationship between Shovel Knight and Shield Knight was versus the cringeworthy non-stop softcore cheesecake in Shantae.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cleretic posted:

I'm with my family for the week, so the thing dragging that down is that while I'm amassing games through either gifts or just buying cheap stuff on sale, I can't play any of them.

I do have Pokemon with me, which is great, but god damnit I've got Axiom Verge, Civ VI and Stardew Valley waiting for me, plus whatever else I decide to buy in the sale.

Axiom Verge at least has some good bait for this thread.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

RyokoTK posted:

I refuse to try Axiom Verge because the protagonist looks like a dork.

The story in Superhot serves no purpose except to stop the action. The meta-fictional angle of any story only works if there's a fiction, like a plot and characters, to care aboout. Here it's just some random bouts of nonsense you don't care about that interrupts the slow-motion murder we came for.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I like bomb jumping as Plague Knight in the game, but revisiting the same world lost novelty for me two levels in. final boss was pretty cool and more appealing to me than the one in the base game.

it's cool that the DLC was free. is it gonna be the same with Spectre Knight or will we have to buy it? looking at the trailers he looks fun as hell.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I like bomb jumping as Plague Knight in the game, but revisiting the same world lost novelty for me two levels in. final boss was pretty cool and more appealing to me than the one in the base game.

it's cool that the DLC was free. is it gonna be the same with Spectre Knight or will we have to buy it? looking at the trailers he looks fun as hell.

It's gonna be free. I'll probably buy it on my 3rd platform just to support them though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Thank gently caress for FAQs I suppose, though my ex told me that this is part of the Metroidvania charm to get lost and poo poo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I refuse to try Axiom Verge because the protagonist looks like a dork.

The story in Superhot serves no purpose except to stop the action. The meta-fictional angle of any story only works if there's a fiction, like a plot and characters, to care aboout. Here it's just some random bouts of nonsense you don't care about that interrupts the slow-motion murder we came for.

I actually disagree I loved it. It came as a surprise since they never discuss it in any previews or trailers.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

RagnarokAngel posted:

I actually disagree I loved it. It came as a surprise since they never discuss it in any previews or trailers.

I love that the ending is basically "go spread the word about this game, also don't give out spoilers. :allears:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inspector Gesicht posted:

"Superhot is the most innovative shooter I've played in years" was the "The cake is a lie" of 2016. Only even worse since it was obviously made to be a catchphrase and so many people who really should have known better fell for it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Thank gently caress for FAQs I suppose, though my ex told me that this is part of the Metroidvania charm to get lost and poo poo.

Getting lost in Axiom Verge isn't too big of a problem. The main thing that it does different from Metroid is that enemies in the overworld are strong and dangerous. Which sounds like it would be fun but it ends up making traveling across the map really tedious.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Guy Mann posted:

"Superhot is the most innovative shooter I've played in years" was the "The cake is a lie" of 2016.

I don't think I heard that a single time other than maybe in a passing review or something, so gonna have to disagree on that one with how insufferable the cake is a lie got. :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, at least the Superhot one stayed on the internet where it belonged, instead of being dragged into the real world by insufferable nerds.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Same, only how cute the relationship between Shovel Knight and Shield Knight was versus the cringeworthy non-stop softcore cheesecake in Shantae.

On that topic, I got really pissed off at one of the Shantae games when there was a long, boring stealth dungeon included entirely for the purpose of putting the female characters in Slave Leia-style outfits. If you wanna draw tits then fine, you do you, but don't make me go through this poo poo for it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I thought that was part of the charm of the game :smith:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

dordreff posted:

On that topic, I got really pissed off at one of the Shantae games when there was a long, boring stealth dungeon included entirely for the purpose of putting the female characters in Slave Leia-style outfits. If you wanna draw tits then fine, you do you, but don't make me go through this poo poo for it.

If people want to look at cartoon titties why don't they just look at cartoon titties? Who plays a game to look at their cartoon titties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

dordreff posted:

I really liked that dungeon though.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I thought that was part of the charm of the game :smith:

Come for the titties, stay for the excellent gameplay.