Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Atlas Hugged posted:

40k fluff is whatever you want it to be because GW doesn't so much as retcon as they "reveal sources with different and potentially more accurate perspectives". Anything you read, even the officially published stuff, can be propaganda or a biased account or hearsay.

Counterpoint: saying the Emperor was Hitler is deeply sus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ultiville posted:

Dude never gets off his gat-dang throne. Hitler? Pfft, more like Sitler.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ultiville posted:

Let me clarify: I'm talking about the published 40k fluff from the 80s to today that doesn't always mash up well.

I mean, you can have whatever head-canon you want of course, and if you want the Emperor to be Hitler then that's basically tattling on yourself (in a way I appreciate that level of honesty because it lets me know who I should never interact with again!), but my meaning is that when we look at the weird shaman ritual Emperor and the Emperor hanging out in Ur and trying to reconcile those, we don't really have to.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'd more believe a nerd if he told me the Emperor was Winston Churchill or Stalin. Way more likely than Hitler.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Emperor was Jervis Johnson.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kwyndig posted:

I'd more believe a nerd if he told me the Emperor was Winston Churchill or Stalin. Way more likely than Hitler.

This was the emperor. Herb Tarlek, saviour of mankind.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the emperor was mr house, it’s how he got the idea for the whole thing

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The emperor is an absolute rear end in a top hat of a person who's bought into his own hype and is ready to throw anyone under the bus if it serves his own short-term goals. Also way into genocide and skulls.

Big E is either Hitler or Trump. Possibly both.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The Emperor is the friends we made along the way.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
I might be friends with Hitler. You don't know me.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
More like the grog-emperor

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I've never been particularly into Warhammer but I always interpreted the lore about the emperor as like 99% in-universe nonsense. Like, he never guided ships through the warp, sacrificing psychers at the golden throne doesn't really do anything, it's all just their stupid, messed up religion.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I always interpreted the thousand psykers a day as a metaphorical sacrifice. They literally might be importing a thousand a day, but only because they have millions in the choir straining their brains out to generate the beacon and so the daily death rate is a substantial number.

They probably only needed a handful of support singers at first, but as his body withers old corpsey just doesn't burn bright enough. Gotta pack a few dozen more seats into the choir stalls every year to keep the intensity up.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
The '1,000 psykers a day' strikes me as a clear parody of Ursula LeGuin's Omelas and probably intended to be taken literally in the 40k universe.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Let me clarify: I'm talking about the published 40k fluff from the 80s to today that doesn't always mash up well.

I mean, you can have whatever head-canon you want of course, and if you want the Emperor to be Hitler then that's basically tattling on yourself (in a way I appreciate that level of honesty because it lets me know who I should never interact with again!), but my meaning is that when we look at the weird shaman ritual Emperor and the Emperor hanging out in Ur and trying to reconcile those, we don't really have to.
I don't think it's tattling on yourself to think the genocidal fascist reincarnating dude was a historical genocidal fascist. Just you know if you think he's Hitler don't play loyalist.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Iirc the psyker thing is literally as the black ships are constantly roaming the imperium for psykers and then haul them back to earth when the holds are full where they get split into

1.Sanction psyker
2.kids that could become marine psykers
3.fodder

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Do the chapters recruit from the black ships? I feel like they'd hate being even a little beholden to the ecclesiarchy even a tiny bit

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

Do the chapters recruit from the black ships? I feel like they'd hate being even a little beholden to the ecclesiarchy even a tiny bit

A character that Ravenor sends off the Black Ships returns in a later book as a Grey Knight, though that's different from normal Space Marines.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

goatface posted:

I always interpreted the thousand psykers a day as a metaphorical sacrifice. They literally might be importing a thousand a day, but only because they have millions in the choir straining their brains out to generate the beacon and so the daily death rate is a substantial number.

They probably only needed a handful of support singers at first, but as his body withers old corpsey just doesn't burn bright enough. Gotta pack a few dozen more seats into the choir stalls every year to keep the intensity up.

They covered the first operation of the golden throne psycher fire in one of the siege or possibly Horus heresy books so they’ve committed to it being a literal thousand now I think

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah I think Chapters usually recruit Librarians from their local psyker population, it's only the Grey Knights and maybe the Imperial Fists that would recruit from the Black Ships

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

lenoon posted:

They covered the first operation of the golden throne psycher fire in one of the siege or possibly Horus heresy books so they’ve committed to it being a literal thousand now I think

But it's not like they just line up 1000 kids straight off the ship and shoot them in the head right?
I assumed they plugged all of them into some sort of machine (or something) to put them to work maintaining the astronomicon, and that 1000 of them burned out each day.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bucnasti posted:

But it's not like they just line up 1000 kids straight off the ship and shoot them in the head right?
I assumed they plugged all of them into some sort of machine (or something) to put them to work maintaining the astronomicon, and that 1000 of them burned out each day.

I assumed the psychers were tossed into a big blender and fed through the emperor's feeding tube as nutrient paste.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
NEW PSYCHER SLURRY FLAVORED SLURPEE ONLY AT SEVEN ELEVENTHOUSAND!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Big E has canon wiped out billions for reasons like "smiled at an alien once" or "didn't burn enough witches" even when he was in benevolent Great Crusade mode, so I'm not sure that "also was Hitler maybe" is any more of a demerit than was already written into his characterisation tbh.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Bucnasti posted:

It was this back in the day. The Golden Throne is a big siphon sucking out their psychic energy until they are burned out and replaced. Bit like the Matrix with human batteries. On top is a withered husk just alive enough to keep the beacon running.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like how custodes used to have capirotes

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

darkwasthenight posted:

Big E has canon wiped out billions for reasons like "smiled at an alien once" or "didn't burn enough witches"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

darkwasthenight posted:

Big E has canon wiped out billions for reasons like "smiled at an alien once" or "didn't burn enough witches" even when he was in benevolent Great Crusade mode, so I'm not sure that "also was Hitler maybe" is any more of a demerit than was already written into his characterisation tbh.

I was partly joking, by my point was that if all the source books are in-universe--and thus fallible--it could be those purges didn't actually happen and it's just what the current imperium would have done.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
GW is now hiring for THE ONE person who controls everything lore related. They never had anyone in this positiuon before.

quote:

Miniatures maker Games Workshop is looking to hire a new Head Writer for Warhammer 40k, its flagship sci-fi gaming franchise. In this job, says GW, you’d be “responsible for setting the vision and narrative for the future of Warhammer 40,000”, as well as ensuring a “consistent voice, tone, and content” across all 40k-related materials being created across the company. As usual for GW, there’s no salary or hours listed for the position – but it’s confirmed as full-time, and based at the company HQ in Nottingham, UK.

According to the details in a job ad published on GW’s official careers site this week, the person hired will be in ultimate charge of “creating and maintaining the internal Warhammer 40,000 IP guidebook”, the ultimate tome of facts from which folks both inside and outside GW have to work when creating licenced 40k books, videogames, or other content.

GW says it wants applicants with experience in senior creative writing jobs – such as “Head Writer, Showrunner, Managing Editor, or Content Manager” – who’re also tried and tested team managers, canny strategists, and – ideally – full to the brim with Warhammer 40k lore knowledge.

Beyond that, the GW job ad asks for prospective Head Writers who’re “tireless in your commitment to raising the quality of our writing, using your experience of managing writers and editors, and your love of the craft of writing to get the best results”.

Anyone interested has until 7pm EST / midnight GMT on Sunday, March 13, 2022 to apply for the job on the GW site.

You know what you must do*. Good Luck, we're all counting on you.

-------------
* - I am confident it will be a white male, so that narrows the pool a bit.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Comstar posted:

GW is now hiring for THE ONE person who controls everything lore related. They never had anyone in this positiuon before.

-------------

scrunts could be canon

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Space Marines are two squats in power armor. Primaris guys are THREE squats in power armor. Vote for me as Big Boss of Lore.

Edit: Thunder Warriors were unstable because the legs weren't power armour, so the bottom squat got tired and eventually fell over.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 16, 2022

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Whether or not you're tattling on yourself with regards to the Emperor being Hitler is 100% in your reaction to it

"Yeah that makes sense given all the genocide. gently caress the Imperium." vs. "LOL that's awesome."

I think for a long time the assumption was that most reactions were the latter.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Electric Hobo posted:

Space Marines are two squats in power armor. Primaris guys are THREE squats in power armor. Vote for me as Big Boss of Lore.

Edit: Thunder Warriors were unstable because the legs weren't power armour, so the bottom squat got tired and eventually fell over.

This fixes everything.

The Emperor's backstory is in constant flux because the three squats controlling his corpse can't agree on it. Like most writing pools there's always at least one person trying to slyly redirect the agreed plotline towards their own idea.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

sure has been over a page of no miniatures whatsoever

:nws:, contains penis

https://i.imgur.com/Vy57gV5.jpg

also :nws:, unclear why they gave up at the one nipple

https://i.imgur.com/CGJ9jwp.jpg

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Oh poo poo I need this mini

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Those daemonettes all want to speak to your manager

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Scratch Monkey posted:

Marines get librarians from already recruited marines showing psyk potential, discovering latent psykers during the recruitment process and getting them from the Black Ships. IIRC One of the Iron Hands books has a passage about how the librarian character was recruited and it mentions the IH bargaining with the Black Ships for gene-compatible psychic recruits

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 17, 2022

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Comstar posted:

-------------

That's a major position. I bet that will pay hundreds of cents per hour.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Harvey Mantaco posted:

10 sprues of marines a month actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Hey, they just cranked up the prices of their minis by 10-30%. I'd be willing to bet it would be at least in the mid-hundreds!