Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Duct Tape posted:

Thanks! A couple posts above yours for the metals on the terrain. The metals on Cawl himself are simply Leadbelcher + Nuln Oil or Retributor Armor + Nuln Oil.

For Cawl's cloak, I followed the same steps as my Skitarii cloaks, with an additional edge highlight of Fire Dragon Bright along the very tips.

Thank you kindly. I'd kind of stalled after basing all my red cloaks, so this is just what I needed.

Edit: crap, top of page. Have a 3d Printed gunarms boi -

Harkano fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does liquitex varnish work through an airbrush? I'm looking at that brand in particular since I'd be able to buy it locally rather than online.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah they work fine, the only thing worth mentioning is the liquitex matte is almost too matte and will really dull a paintjob. The satin is much better suited for miniature use

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I clean my airbrush with windex. Works fantastic. I squirt water in to get all the main gunk out first and dump it into a cup. Then I run a thumb of Windex through, backwashing it a few times. Then run a thumb of pure water after. My brushes are as clean as clean can be. Even after varnish.

For Liquitex matte varnish I do about 1/3 water. Mine isn't very matte though. It honestly probably depends on the temp/smoothness of area/etc. People say they used gloss before matte to get a super matte finish. I've never tried this yet.

I also use windex to strip models as well. The stuff is a catch all remove everything.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 22, 2018

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

ijyt posted:

Spray a gloss coat over the affected areas.

Cheers. I actually went back with a much more cautious coat of the GW munitorum varnish on a single model first just to see if it would help without going out to find a gloss spray.

It actually worked really well. I think I just put way too much on the first coat because I was spraying in the dark like a moron (apartment rooftop just has really low lights). They're still a tiny bit clouded but tons better than before.

Also more notable idiocy in that I first tried painting an affected model with an unlabelled 'gloss coat' which I now suspect was actually acrylic medium. That chap is now rocking what is probably a permanent dusty/weathered, yet glossy, look :downs:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

IPA Regulations posted:

Also more notable idiocy in that I first tried painting an affected model with an unlabelled 'gloss coat' which I now suspect was actually acrylic medium. That chap is now rocking what is probably a permanent dusty/weathered, yet glossy, look :downs:

Just tell people he has velvet. Aquarium nerds will love it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Skarsnik posted:

re: airbrush cleaning, I have a bottle of the vellejo stuff and then a bottle of just plain water. 90% of flushing everything out can just be done with the water (also between colours) and then save the pricy stuff for the end to get it properly clean

Also rad mans on the last couple of pages, good job everyone

For flushing your brush with water, get yourself a couple of these medical wash bottles.

https://www.amazon.com/Economy-Bottle-Squeeze-Medical-Tattoo/dp/B00WTHLR2M

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Dropping this here because a fellow goon asked about it yesterday:

https://shop.instarpaint.com/vintage-conversion/

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Slimnoid posted:

Yessss. Thank you.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

I keep forgetting to check these guys out.

Has anyone here used Instar stuff? How does it compare to other ranges?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Thanks for answering the question about varnish. I ran some through at 30PSI this morning, will see what it's like when I get home from work.

What was the reason why people ditched Fallout Hobbies for transfers? And who are the people the thread uses instead? I've got somebody at my club who's looking to buy from them...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

glitchkrieg posted:

What was the reason why people ditched Fallout Hobbies for transfers? And who are the people the thread uses instead? I've got somebody at my club who's looking to buy from them...

They "accidentally" used what was very obviously the SS version of the Deaths-head on a model then got lovely when called on it.

Or they were lovely about some Manhammer Pimp Chapter bullshit.

Can't remember which was which (both being well sufficient reasons).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fallout Hobbies just do stencils and transfers I thought? The totenkopf was some commission studio like FLG or something.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ijyt posted:

Fallout Hobbies just do stencils and transfers I thought? The totenkopf was some commission studio like FLG or something.

It might have been the man-hammer poo poo then.

We really need a poo poo-list.

Also, such a list would give the chuds something to clutch pearls and swoon onto fainting couches over. Not that they have a problem finding such swoon-overable objects.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Manhammer Pimp Chapter
what

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Whatever, Primarch Pimpius Maximus from the Monster Energy Drink Chapter. IDGAF.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeah we still don’t really know what you’re talking about.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Yeah we still don’t really know what you’re talking about.

I think it's in reference to that rather dubious Primarch conversion with Dorn (I think) in a pimp hat and a bunch of scantly clad women around him.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Sounds like something any 15 year old would come up with...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Don't worry about it. It was a bunch of stupid poo poo - some people got bent out of shape about a dumb model when they should have just shaken their collective heads and moved on and the model and its creator would have been resigned to the scrap heap of history. Instead, it became a Big Thing, and put the stupid model and creator in the limelight and brought out the idiot in both sides.

The worst part is that it wasn't even particularly offensive (unlike the IG/Eldar rape diorama,) it was just juvenile and dumb.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

There was implied rape on it as well. It was super dumb.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Also nothing to do with Fallout Hobbies.
What they did was to publicly speak out in support of the totenkopf knight.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Groetgaffel posted:

So which was the one who got high-and-mighty over Manhammer?

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Frontline gaming I think?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Groetgaffel posted:

No, the totenkopf knight was entirely on FLG.

Fallout hobbies liked the manhammer post on their instagram account, got called out on it, and then started arguing and defending their ability to like it.

And yes both the manhammer diorama itself and the guy behind it are incredibly tasteless and problematic, don't try to normalize it or say it should just be ignored instead of called out.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Oh alright, I stand corrected.
There were too many shitheels doing lovely things too close together for me to remember which is which.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Do I even want to know what the Manhammer diorama is? Google is giving me generic carpentry images

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Chill la Chill posted:

Do I even want to know what the Manhammer diorama is? Google is giving me generic carpentry images

You do not. It's not even well-done on a technical level. IIRC it's literally just gold Dorn with a stupid hat on a throne and the Dark Eldar slaves around him.

E: Brother Groetgaffel might be right: they might be from the slaves kit that dakka dakka made?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 24, 2018

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

E: ^^^^Too late! :pseudo:

A primarch (mashup of dorn and perturabo i think) with a purple top hat, surrounded by bound and gagged naked women.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ah hell its like a monkey’s paw

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

E: Brother Groetgaffel might be right: they might be from the slaves kit that dakka dakka made?
Yeah, it's those dakka sex slave models.

If y'all want to, I don't know give yourself a stroke and/or brain cancer, here's how the fuckwit behind it handled criticism by the Badcast.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Cobbled together some alien jungle terrain from Reaper Bones models to go on my killteam board. I put it on upside down 50mm bases, so it will slot into the holes for trees on citadel woods bases for easy swaps.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I took real pictures of my titan. I'll start on basing it in the next few days as poo poo I ordered starts showing up.

Also painted a terminator librarian, but its comparatively boring and I didn't enjoy painting it anywhere near as much, just wanted to clear it out of my queue of built but unpainted poo poo.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Wow, that Warlord :drat:

Looks incredible.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Booley posted:

Also painted a terminator librarian, but its comparatively boring and I didn't enjoy painting it anywhere near as much, just wanted to clear it out of my queue of built but unpainted poo poo.
The titan is gorgeous! However... can I ask how you did that librarian's axe?

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Finished this Excoriator Lieutenant.
They annotate battle damage with a date and place.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ceebees posted:

The titan is gorgeous! However... can I ask how you did that librarian's axe?

All Scale 75, Red Leather > Deep Red > Blood Red > Antares Red > Aldebaran Red > Mars Orange > White

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I haven't spray painted the Primaris Marines yey, mainly because we've had smokey air here, and I don't know how that would affect it.

Groetgaffel posted:

E: ^^^^Too late! :pseudo:

A primarch (mashup of dorn and perturabo i think) with a purple top hat, surrounded by bound and gagged naked women.

Yeah, it's those dakka sex slave models.

If y'all want to, I don't know give yourself a stroke and/or brain cancer, here's how the fuckwit behind it handled criticism by the Badcast.

Well, I guess now I know that site exists...:catstare:

However based on that description, now I'm imaging some kind of gender-swap where it's a Sister of Battle decked out in some sort of super-ornamental armor while accompanied by Pillar Custodes. :allears:

Speaking of Custodes...

I was going through 1d4chan, and it was pointed out how in this illustration (full version here) that the Custodes are in dark silver and have different headpieces. Was there ever an official miniature made based on these, or has anyone ever tried to make something similar to it?

Booley posted:

I took real pictures of my titan. I'll start on basing it in the next few days as poo poo I ordered starts showing up.

I want to paint one of those someday. Are they really hard to do?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

However based on that description, now I'm imaging some kind of gender-swap where it's a Sister of Battle decked out in some sort of super-ornamental armor while accompanied by Pillar Custodes. :allears:
Good news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Speaking of Custodes...

I was going through 1d4chan, and it was pointed out how in this illustration (full version here) that the Custodes are in dark silver and have different headpieces. Was there ever an official miniature made based on these, or has anyone ever tried to make something similar to it?

Not that model exactly but there is the Shadowkeepers paint scheme for Custodes (available on the paint app) that is Black/Gold and you could probably swap the gold for silver in this case.