Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Cap loses the super serum and turns into Harrison Ford

And then promptly gets killed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

purple death ray posted:

I dunno I don't think they're going to end another Captain America movie with him crashing a plane

Oh hot drat.

ImpAtom posted:

And then promptly gets killed off.

This good too

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Unless Ant-Man and the Wasp takes place mostly in a microverse or something.

They're still in Infinity War though so there's going to be some kind of transition from that to whatever the movie is doing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Huh, weird, I completely forgot about Ant-man & Wasp. I guess they gotta do something about these two in Infinity War, yea.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Has anyone seen My Friend Dahmer

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Ojjeorago posted:

The Mustache Wars are more interesting than Justice League.

I think you just came up with the name for Marvel's next big event comic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The big twist: Superman is a Viltrumite

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ojjeorago posted:

The Mustache Wars are more interesting than Justice League.

That's Wonder Woman 2:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

David D. Davidson posted:

I think you just came up with the name for Marvel's next big event comic.

I don't know, feels more like the follow-up to DC's Milk Wars.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Maybe Ant Man and Wasp starts with a big box saying "This film takes place prior to Infinity War - ed"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ant man & the wasp: an infinity war story

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If the Infinity War movies are Hamlet, then Ant Man and Wasp are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

OR

If Avengers 3 and 4 are The Lion King 1 and 2, then Ant Man and Wasp is The Lion King 1 1/2

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
As ant man has his hijinks, in the background a city explodes. It goes uncommented.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Retro Futurist posted:

Maybe Ant Man and Wasp starts with a big box saying "This film takes place prior to Infinity War - ed"

There will probably be a status quo established at the end of Infinity War that will allow Ant Man and the Wasp to take place in. It'd make sense to have the two smallest heroes to be the ones that start the resistance that leads to Avengers 4. It'd be a hell of a underdog story.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The fact that baby driver is on that list and the big sick isn't is loving absurd and completely invalidates it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

The fact that baby driver is on that list and the big sick isn't is loving absurd and completely invalidates it

I love Edgar Wright, but... yeah, probably

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Downsizing is the weird one on that list. That movie reviewed really mixed.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

That and Logan Lucky was a much funnier and better heist film

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, Baby Driver isn't a heist movie, so...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Arist posted:

I mean, Baby Driver isn't a heist movie, so...
Yeah true, its more of a heist adjacent movie

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don't hate Baby Driver but boy was it the version of Edgar Wright I don't like where he gets overly cute and stylistic to the point where it feels like you're watching a collection of gimmicks over an actual movie with actual things it wants to say.

Like I've never finished a film and felt more like I had just wasted my time because of how weightless the movie as a whole felt. Especially in comparison to something like, again, The Big Sick, which was incredible, moving filmmaking on basically every level.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 29, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s every Edgar Wright movie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh, no, The World's End owns

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aphrodite posted:

That’s every Edgar Wright movie.

Shaun of the Dead has a real good emotional core to it with a lot weight. It's a film that manages to show the main character's relationship develop with his mother, stepfather, best friend, and girlfriend over the course of a comedic zombie apocalypse scenario in a way that's genuinely affecting.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To a certain level he always engages in cinematic gimmickry, but it's often in service of a larger point or reinforces an underlying theme of Wright's moviemaking. Like all the shots in Hot Fuzz, he wanted to specifically replicate action movie shots and perspectives but contrast it within a "real world" scenario, hence why the final showdown has nobody die, or he had multiple scenes of police doing bureaucratic paperwork (which is mostly what cops end up doing anyways) and contrast that against the hagiographic vision of police that people have. The video game stuff is meant to reinforce Scott's arrested development and refusal to mature that is the underlying theme of Scott Pilgrim. The music videos in Baby Driver have no greater point; it doesn't serve the narrative on any deeper level.

To bring it back to comic books, the soundtrack and montages that Guardians 1 uses is meant to show how Peter Quill connects with his mom and informs his specific outlook on life, which forms the emotional backbone of the movie as a whole. The montages in Baby Driver are in there because, uh, they're cool I guess? And Edgar Wright really wanted to have them?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Disney-Fox deals reportedly re-re(-re?)-emerging. Source is Deadline, but also literally just some guy talking about rumors he heard, so.

quote:

I know you want to talk about the legacies of those exposed in these sexual assault and harassment scandals, but I just want to start with a juicy rumor that is fast gaining steam in town today, that Disney is progressing speedily toward that rumored acquisition of Fox. The version I heard has the Murdoch clan keeping possession of sports and news properties, and the rest of TV and the film studio going to Disney. Radio silence right now from both studios, and given how Disney made the Marvel and Lucasfilm deals under the cone of silence, if this happens we’ll probably only know it when it’s announced. It is certainly being talked about today. Not surprisingly, the reaction around town is not enthusiasm, because of the uncertainty that comes with potentially reducing a major studio to content generators under the Disney silo system.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I mean, ever since it leaked out that Disney was interested, both companies had their stocks increase. It's gonna happen.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ughhh.

On one hand it would be great to see a competent FF movie and like Dr Doom fight the Avengers and all that, but at this rate there's gonna be like 3 media conglomerates that own everything in 10 years.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Away all Goats posted:

At this rate there's gonna be like 3 media conglomerates that own everything in 10 years.

:capitalism:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Away all Goats posted:

Ughhh.

On one hand it would be great to see a competent FF movie and like Dr Doom fight the Avengers and all that, but at this rate there's gonna be like 3 media conglomerates that own everything in 10 years.

There literally already is. You're talking about a large section of a media conglomerate that, on the whole, is pretty loving evil (it's really hard to overstate how badly Fox News and various Murdoch based media enterprises here and abroad have hosed with our perception of the "truth") going to a significantly less evil media conglomerate (Disney's done some pretty hosed poo poo over the years but otoh they've more or less stayed out of Fox News-level untruth and reality warping).

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Away all Goats posted:

Ughhh.

I've started practicing with three seashells as a precaution.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It would probably be good for Disney to pick up Fox and the other Marvel stuff now, so that they can put that into Phase 4 or whatever

We'll see if that actually happens.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I finally saw Justice League tonight and it was way better than I expected. I put it on par with Iron Man 2. I enjoyed the relationship between Diana and Bruce, Cyborg was surprisingly interesting (and he said the thing), Flash stopped being annoying after a bit, and I didn't really notice Superman's lip.

Biggest complaint was how weightless Batman's fight in the beginning was, the two upskirts on Wonder Woman along with the closeup on her rear end in the leather pants later on, and the forgettable villain. Like my expectations were rock bottom, but I didn't leave the theater shaking my head like in BvS.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Soonmot posted:

I finally saw Justice League tonight and it was way better than I expected. I put it on par with Iron Man 2.

High praise indeed.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Soonmot posted:

I finally saw Justice League tonight and it was way better than I expected. I put it on par with Iron Man 2.

The quintessence of damning with faint praise, right here.

e; gently caress, now I just look unoriginal

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I think romantic comedies tend to have a bias against them regardless of how well they are made.

As for Baby Driver, I liked it when I finally saw it recently, but even though I haven't seen 10 movies, I wouldn't say it's the sort of thing that would qualify as top ten material.

That being said, I appreciate movies like Baby Driver (and Atomic Blonde) because I think it is good to have action movies you can make for $30 million which don't have to earn all the money in the world for them to qualify as a success.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Away all Goats posted:

Ughhh.

Turns out Continuum is the actual future timeline we are headed for.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

My favourite thing about Justice League is that there wasn't really any sort of resolution to the Cyborg subplot with his father. He rescues him from Steppenwolf, and that's about it. Did he even get any sort of coda like Barry did visiting his dad, or Aquaman returning to his home planet the sea?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

Ughhh.

If it makes you feel any better, we'll all be too poor to even see these potential movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

He tells young Clark that he doesn't have to save everyone, and shouldn't, because his identity is more important than saving kids after he does the bus thing and nearly blows his cover. Which is the exact same as murdering them, since Superman can (through no risk to his own safety) save people, say, stuck in a sinking bus trivially. Like, that's what murder is: enabling death through your own (in)action.

Words have meaning, and that's not what the word murder means. Murder literally means the opposite: Deliberately taking an action with the intent of killing someone.

That's even disregarding that you are not describing the scene correctly. When asked if he should have let the kids drown, Pa, obviously very hesitantly, says "...maybe". He doesn't have a clear answer, what he 's saying is that there's a lot at stake here, and that the premature discovery of Clark can have disastrous consequences, and he' is right, too. Others have elaborated on this point, so suffice to say that this is a scene with quite a bit of nuance, but the takeaway for most comic book fans is that Pa Kent is endorsing the murder of school children. It's bizarre, and again it all boils down to the "not my X" argument.

irlZaphod posted:

My favourite thing about Justice League is that there wasn't really any sort of resolution to the Cyborg subplot with his father. He rescues him from Steppenwolf, and that's about it. Did he even get any sort of coda like Barry did visiting his dad, or Aquaman returning to his home planet the sea?

The original idea was to give Cyborg more focus, presumably in the 3-hour cut he would have gotten some sort of arc and closure, but lol nope.

As someone who loved MoS and BvS I was deeply disappointed in JL. It's like a marvel movie without the polish (so yeah, Iron man 2 sounds about right). Even the harshest critics of Snyders movies has to admit they look gorgeous, and JL didn't even have the decency to offer that. It's all just boring walkways and stairwells. They may as well have shot it at a warehouse or airport. And Supermans characterization was atrocious.

In a vacuum, JL would have been a totally OK movie, on par with IM 2. But knowing what might have been just kills me. I would have killed for a JL movie going full BvS.

• Locked thread