Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

You're realistically capped at about 120 die unless you play outdoors or in a room with high ceilings

Add "ladder and tape measure" to your list of "must bring to unhinged'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I'm sure there's an actual optimal X that has the most dice actually hit cards. After a certain point, the extra inch is not worth the die, right?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Just guesstimating, but I think the ideal amount of X, given reasonable mana, is either 3 or 4. Probably 4. Once you start dropping dice from about a half foot or more, they are gonna start bouncing off the table.

edit: if the goal is to make one creature really big, I'd probably just do 3. 4 is tempting for wanting to kill multiple creatures.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Get dice made out of the same material those $0.25 sticky hands were made out of.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

which is better for this, small dice, or big heavy dice?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Rigel posted:

which is better for this, small dice, or big heavy dice?

Small dice to buff a couple creatures a lot, big dice to kill things or buff a big board a little.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

You're realistically capped at about 120 die unless you play outdoors or in a room with high ceilings

Add "ladder and tape measure" to your list of "must bring to unhinged'

Just yell over to the table of warhams players every shop has when you need to measure something.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A guy at the shop started opening Iconic Masters packs until he opened a Mana Drain. He opened 360 packs before it showed up.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

GoutPatrol posted:

A guy at the shop started opening Iconic Masters packs until he opened a Mana Drain. He opened 360 packs before it showed up.

I don't think my collection is worth $3,600 + tax, in fact I'm sure it isn't and I have like 6 Liliana of the Veil for some reason.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why not just buy a loving mana drain? :argh:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Shortest Path posted:

There are people who legitimately believe that buying singles doesn't "count" or that opening packs is "purer" or some stupid BS like that.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Sunk cost fallacy combined with gambler's fallacy.

On the flip side if he'd opened the Mana Drain right away he'd be bragging about how he was so smart to buy packs instead of singles.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I said print graveyard hate, not graveyard haste!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the actual best number for that guy is 0 because then you get a 2 mana 3/3, but that's boring

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So either spend 3600 on packs because
Or, 99.99 on mana drain.
Okay. Sure.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
And now the store doesn't have any packs left to use for an IMA draft. Thanks a lot, rear end in a top hat.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I doubt he is willing to wait a few months but he could come out well ahead if he sells his singles after the modern and legacy pro tours next year. The EV of iconic masters is pretty decent still and it'll go up, but the kind of person who cracks that many packs for a single prolly trades it all in for store credit anyway.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That sounds like profound mental illness TBH.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This. This got me on board with my friend's idea of everyone making silver bordered edh decks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

That sounds like profound mental illness TBH.

Or just a gambling addiction

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

cheetah7071 posted:

Or just a gambling addiction

Those two things aren't unrelated. Compulsive gambling has been recognized as a serious mental condition for a while now.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Star Man posted:

And now the store doesn't have any packs left to use for an IMA draft. Thanks a lot, rear end in a top hat.

Nah, there were drafts going off all day. I played in one and went 2-1, with both me and the other finalist playing GW. I had a ridiculously high percentage of mythics (2 Praetors, Avacyn, and a foil Consecrated Sphinx) in 8 packs that I opened...and a Flusterstorm.

He does this with every set. He's a doctor so he has the money.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 18, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

GoutPatrol posted:

Nah, there were drafts going off all day.

But he does this with every set. He's a doctor so he has the money.

Oh, so it's more about bragging that they can afford to spend money like that.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
https://twitter.com/DesertBus/status/931666330050166785

cheatyface's throne

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I mean, I'm a lawyer and I can't afford to buy $4000 in Magic product for any reason, unless your'e talking over the course of many years.

He still sounds like a gambling addict

also I'm not a good lawyer so I still don't have any money

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

This is going to be amazing in draft.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

also note, that card has no mana cost so you literally must cheat it into play

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Elyv posted:

the actual best number for that guy is 0 because then you get a 2 mana 3/3, but that's boring

1 is a 3 mana 6.5/6.5

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

So to stop the opponent from activating the 0 in response to revealing it, you have to pay the cost and sac it while its hidden on the battlefield, so it only gets revealed when its taken out of its hiding spot to be put in the graveyard.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pharohman777 posted:

So to stop the opponent from activating the 0 in response to revealing it, you have to pay the cost and sac it while its hidden on the battlefield, so it only gets revealed when its taken out of its hiding spot to be put in the graveyard.

Once you declare you are activating the ability, it's too late for your opponent to do anything until you've finished paying {2} and sacrificing it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

He does this with every set. He's a doctor so he has the money.

making a strong case for extreme tax laws tbh

President Ark
May 16, 2010

since saccing it is part of the cost by the time you reveal it they can't respond to it, i think

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

I love who they get to spoil these, having one come from RoboRosewater was genius.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

President Ark posted:

also note, that card has no mana cost so you literally must cheat it into play

Sure, but you can, like, cascade into it or play it with an Expertise or As Foretold.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Zemyla posted:

Sure, but you can, like, cascade into it or play it with an Expertise or As Foretold.

well, yeah, but unlike cheatyface getting this out legitimately is pointless since them being able to 'spot' it is there all the time, not just when you sneak it out

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
e: nevermind, it's attacking creature

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The real question is why is nobody calling it Cheatyseat

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Because it's just an armchair? A really normal armchair??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

The real question is why is nobody calling it Cheatyseat

because it's just a normal chair