Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Sakurazuka posted:

Jesus, gently caress stage 7 of Turok, hope you saved all your lives for these bottomless pits.

power through, remember, YOU. ARE. TUROK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've been on stage 8 for an hour and a half now with no end in sight lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
8 is the last level

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The chronosceptre is possible the worst secret weapon for actually getting to use it, a whole three shots on the final boss and that's it! Anyway I beat Turok, decent fps for the time but I was expecting more crazy weapons given its reputation, guess that's the sequels.

Time for Turok 2.....

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Blind Rasputin posted:

I feel like there’s a purposeful psychological science to the amount of distance they put between the bonfire and the boss. There’s always some quiet running to do. They know it’s those few seconds you’ll spend introspectively examining what you did right and wrong last run, taking a deep breath or two and getting re-centered before the current one. Those seconds of running may seem repetitive, but they’re vital. It’s genius in a way. We are what we walk between.

I agree. It’s either expertly designed with that in mind or one of those neat things that happens in the creative process where things organically find their form and purpose and the end product isn’t quite what you expected but even better.

The rhythm and flow of DS1 is very cool to me. That plus the rather minimal “dated” graphics in the remaster are so nice. It adds up to a unique atmosphere that isn’t cluttered or too dense with details. It’s very clear and everything has a purpose from a gameplay perspective to the general look of each area.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I 100% recommend playing Turok 2 with a guide, some of the objectives are surprisingly easy to miss and the levels are gigantic. That Port of Adia music slaps so hard though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The chronosceptre is possible the worst secret weapon for actually getting to use it, a whole three shots on the final boss and that's it! Anyway I beat Turok, decent fps for the time but I was expecting more crazy weapons given its reputation, guess that's the sequels.

Time for Turok 2.....

Turok 2 is where the crazy weapons come in to play. The level design stinks though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Back when Cerebral Bore didn’t mean another Tim Rogers video released...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

lmfao

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Feels like we are due another Tim Rogers video

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m so nervous about blighttown lmao. I’ve heard all the stories and seen some clips and well. Alright, I’m in!

I really like it. It’s classic and dead simple. Has some solid attacks and feels like a decent range for me. Can’t ask for much more!

Yeah I picked up on that and decided that I’d really like to stick it through. I could tell that the game was giving me a very fair and instructive challenge so I met it face to face and came out more confident than ever. It was a really fun fight honestly.

I’m approaching a zen like connection to the Capra Demon boss run. On one hand, holy gently caress I’m only starting to get my bearings with this nasty friend and their dogs after a bunch of embarrassing deaths. One the other I understand why some people like the routine of death->boss run. Every trip I try to be a little more efficient. It’s like a game in a game. Oddly relaxing once I’m at the point of the enemies in between not worrying me too much. Of course that’s when I get lazy and get my poo poo handed to me by MORE DOGS. This happens... most of the time. Game is still more fun than it has ever been for me!

Dont be like me and miss the shortcuts to the Capra Demon. Running back from Undead Burg or the Undead Parish sucks rear end

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Without the terrible fps and with the knowledge that the lovely toxin dart assholes don't respawn, Blighttown isn't that bad and actually one of my favourite areas in the game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sakurazuka posted:

Without the terrible fps and with the knowledge that the lovely toxin dart assholes don't respawn, Blighttown isn't that bad and actually one of my favourite areas in the game.

Yeah playing it on a 360 was super rough but going back on pc was dreamy :allears:

I guess the ps4 one runs fine in comparison but never seen it with own eyes!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I dreamed there was a game called Dirt: Threshold where you crash land on a deserted island and explore it with different vehicles, and also dreamed that I posted here about how good it is lol

Now I'm sad that it doesn't exist though

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m approaching a zen like connection to the Capra Demon boss run. On one hand, holy gently caress I’m only starting to get my bearings with this nasty friend and their dogs after a bunch of embarrassing deaths. One the other I understand why some people like the routine of death->boss run. Every trip I try to be a little more efficient. It’s like a game in a game. Oddly relaxing once I’m at the point of the enemies in between not worrying me too much. Of course that’s when I get lazy and get my poo poo handed to me by MORE DOGS. This happens... most of the time. Game is still more fun than it has ever been for me!

Yes, finally someone understands how dope boss runs are. It’s one of my favorite parts of souls games.

Phase 1: explore new area, eventually find the boss, die
Phase 2: master the boss run path, keep dying and making incremental progress on boss
Phase 3: beat boss, move on to next area, repeat

It’s so good, phase 2 is essential

nachos fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 13, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Still getting a real laugh out of how Geop bumbled into killing the Capra Demon on his first try during his LP of Dark Souls 1.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Simone Magus posted:

I dreamed there was a game called Dirt: Threshold where you crash land on a deserted island and explore it with different vehicles, and also dreamed that I posted here about how good it is lol

you can believe a video game into existence if you believe in it enough.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It helps to vocally believe in it at the right person.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Cardiovorax posted:

It helps to vocally believe in it at the right person.

Ah, the Reverse Kojima

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Simone Magus posted:

Ah, the Reverse Kojima

Aka the molyneux

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

Ah, the Reverse Kojima
lol. Yeah, basically. Game developers have to get their inspiration from somewhere same as anyone, right? Might as well be you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When you warp in Turok 2 the screen goes the exact shade of blue you get when you crash to the dashboard and it wants you to submit an error report.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Blighttown is rough on your first go but it’s really not that bad. It’s actually a pretty short area

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Blighttown is rough on your first go but it’s really not that bad. It’s actually a pretty short area
Yeah, it's a very straightforward area once you know your way around, it's just confusing as hell. The trick to navigating it is really just to be aware that all ladders have torches attached to them, so if you can't figure out where to go, look for the flames. You'll get where you need to go sooner or later.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My first memory of Blighttown is getting to the middle bonfire and then immediately having my only weapon break and I didn't have the repair box, so I had to run all the way back up through Blighttown, Depths, and back to Andre with no usable weapon.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Should've bought that repair powder after all, eh?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It's pretty easy if you go in the back door, skipping Capra and all that other nonsense

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Sounds like a Motorstorm dream.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's pretty easy if you go in the back door, skipping Capra and all that other nonsense
Well, I guess if you're a wimp, you could do that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I feel like there’s a purposeful psychological science to the amount of distance they put between the bonfire and the boss. There’s always some quiet running to do. They know it’s those few seconds you’ll spend introspectively examining what you did right and wrong last run, taking a deep breath or two and getting re-centered before the current one. Those seconds of running may seem repetitive, but they’re vital. It’s genius in a way. We are what we walk between.

I think the psychology of it began as making killing the boss feel like a high stakes effort, since you actually had to play through a section of game to get there, but ultimately people realized immediately that theres almost nothing in Dark Souls that you can't just run past if you want to and that's what people did. By the later games they sort of just acknowledged this by making boss runs mostly painless.

Boss runs are something I'm honestly over. I'd be happy to have a bonfire at every boss door at this point. I like it in theory, but at this point we've been playing these things for 12 years, everyone just games it and it kind of just feels like a waste of time to me. At the same time they don't bug me that much or anything. I just think it's something that could be streamlined out of those games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, I guess if you're a wimp, you could do that.

There's almost no reason to do that huge scaffold section. Just a giant waste of time with no tangible reward.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I was properly concerned with Blighttown when I first reached it, but we all had fun watching me fall off things and learn how to pro strat run past things, and then I got my favourite weapon so I cannot say I dislike Blighttown at all.

Also the best boss run back for me was Artorias because it was one of the few times I used the quiet path to think about what I was going to do. Usually the runs back have enemies I need to worry about so I concentrate on that, but with Artorias I had a clear pathway that I could use to really think about how I was going to defeat him :)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's almost no reason to do that huge scaffold section. Just a giant waste of time with no tangible reward.
That's what a wimp would say. :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can't imagine playing Turok 2 without the huge 'important thing here!' markers the remaster added but it's relatively straightforward with them.

Uh, well the first stage was anyway.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah before I forget again here’s my really tanky Artorias video showing just how OP I was at the time https://twitter.com/bownsgamepics/status/1299823733067206661?s=21

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh yeah before I forget again here’s my really tanky Artorias video showing just how OP I was at the time https://twitter.com/bownsgamepics/status/1299823733067206661?s=21
No kidding. Your HP bar is like double the size of your stamina bar.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The depths is more annoying than Blighttown imo. Very cramped, confusing layout and those goddamn curse salamanders

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The depths is more annoying than Blighttown imo. Very cramped, confusing layout and those goddamn curse salamanders
The depths really are 100% skippable even if you don't have the master key - there's a secret passage that slides you right past them, you land where Ay Siwmae guy is when you first encounter him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd rather do Blighttown than the Gutter any day.