Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

GXL posted:

The lady at Costco asked if I wanted to take off my mask for the card photo and I said "no"

For reference:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
forget it Jake, it's covid nineteen

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

e: This was a bad post. Removed.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 13, 2022

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sydney health minister Brad "Health" Hazzard is saying BA2 is about to gently caress poo poo up in Australia

Brad Hazzard concerned at rise of COVID-19 Omicron sub-variant BA2, flags case spike
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-10/nsw-covid-concern-at-rise-of-ba2-sub-variant/100898154

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Yep. Love new fears!

Bob Socko posted:

Sorry you were put in that position, glad you're ok.

Thanks. I let my guard slip, got too comfortable

:powercatte:

tuyop posted:

chapter 1 of your cli-fi novel going great i can see

You have given me inspiration. My last book sold well but I freaked out and pulled it

Iron Crowned posted:

See people, dogs are in fact bad!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Sydney health minister Brad "Health" Hazzard is saying BA2 is about to gently caress poo poo up in Australia

Brad Hazzard concerned at rise of COVID-19 Omicron sub-variant BA2, flags case spike
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-10/nsw-covid-concern-at-rise-of-ba2-sub-variant/100898154

how could this happen?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

spaceblancmange posted:

how could this happen?

No one could have seen this coming

"There were 16,288 cases recorded in NSW today, the highest figure since January 27."

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Loucks posted:

Sucks you had to kill one, but glad you’re OK.

It’d surprise you how many people don’t leave the house without a gun. Guessing animal control has seen enough to know it’s common in a lot of places.

Due to my mental health conditions it's possibly best I don't own a firearm. I own plenty of non-lethal options, I just got complacent, it will not happen again

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cloks posted:

forget it Jake, it's China Virus

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

facetoucher cat posted:

Due to my mental health conditions it's possibly best I don't own a firearm. I own plenty of non-lethal options, I just got complacent, it will not happen again
Sorry that happened to you :(

I imagine pepper spray would be a pretty good nonlethal option against dogs.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cloks posted:

hey am i going insane or is the current political leadership doing everything they can to make covid worse

pretty much yeah, they're overcompensating to pretend covid is over which translates to doing the exact opposite of what you would do if it isn't over, ie doing the exact opposite of disease outbreak mitigation

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

this is why I never leave my house without my katana, wakizashi, and elastomeric

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zugzwang posted:

ugh I hate thinking about dog encounters.

I'm very well-trained with dogs and the *vast* majority of them will respond to some very simple behaviors and proper body language.

but people don't know these things, and so they let the dogs bully them, when 99.5% of dogs will absolutely back down or more likely come to lick your hand

pepper spray does work but it's not going to be an advantage if you're letting them control the encounter

okay I know I'll shut up now.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jfc. Reminds me of my friend who's dog got into a neighbors yard and that neighbor basically decapitated it with a spade shovel.

Was a sweet dog too.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Jfc. Reminds me of my friend who's dog got into a neighbors yard and that neighbor basically decapitated it with a spade shovel.

Was a sweet dog too.

ugh this is what happens

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

mdemone posted:

ugh I hate thinking about dog encounters.

I'm very well-trained with dogs and the *vast* majority of them will respond to some very simple behaviors and proper body language.

but people don't know these things, and so they let the dogs bully them, when 99.5% of dogs will absolutely back down or more likely come to lick your hand

pepper spray does work but it's not going to be an advantage if you're letting them control the encounter

okay I know I'll shut up now.
What very simple behaviors/body language? That would obviously be the best course of action over any kind of violence, nonlethal or otherwise!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

hot witch divorcee posted:

do not under any circumstances let these plague rats near you

derra posted:

They will lie to you to visit. If nothing happens, that will justify their actions. If your family gets sick, how could they have known?

Protect your family. Assume they're positive.

The sad thing is my normally crazy mother-in-law was like, "This poo poo seems dumb, but whatever you need from me." That's literally all I was hoping for. Talk poo poo about how crazy we are behind our backs all you want, but get tested before you come and wear a loving mask. I've been stewing about this all night, it really sucks to lose the support system you thought you had because people don't want to spit in a tube?

At least I didn't have to kill a dog though, I guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

They should have put the zipper further out, so it could be used for doors opening inwards (like outside apartment doors all do). I got excited for a few seconds there :(

They’re made for remodeling. You can put a wall and a door wherever you want.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Was a sweet dog too.

Well, there's my night ruined.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Reminder that this includes money to purchase Paxlovid, because Biden spent what he had without doing that.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

facetoucher cat posted:

Yeah I'm good. It happened so fast. Was in my yard playing with plants and these 2 dogs got into my yard. Tried to scare them off by screaming and tossing sticks. One charged me but I dodged it an kicked it what seemed like 20 feet and it ran out of the yard and it's buddy looked like it was going to leave too but I don't trust anything so I grabbed a broken brick and the second one came at me so I hit it in the head with everything I had. That stopped it

Animal control was like, "why didn't you shoot em"

Yes, officer, I'm strapped to the teeth in my own back yard while feeding birds. Totally normal brain there
holy poo poo
glad you're alright it seems

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

If that dog got close enough to get brained with a brick I'd be worried it might have rabies, especially if it was aggressive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kylaer posted:

We probably won't get a new named variant until some new hellstrain comes roaring out of the remnant of lambda in South America. Basically when something that isn't directly descended from omicron emerges, because if it's omicron lineage, it'll just get called omicron :effort:

They won’t name it after a new Greek letter or a constellation or anything.

They’ll say “oh that’s Lambda. It’s been around for months, not big deal, Delta and Omicron outcompeted it”.

They will say this even as it is doubling in prevalence two or three times per week.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

GXL posted:

The lady at Costco asked if I wanted to take off my mask for the card photo and I said "no"

For reference:

gently caress yes. I shamefully held my breath and took my mask off for mine

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zugzwang posted:

What very simple behaviors/body language? That would obviously be the best course of action over any kind of violence, nonlethal or otherwise!

almost every dog will at least stop if you step toward them and show them your hands, but the most important part is that you can't be afraid of them.

they say that dogs smell fear but it's not like that. dogs have been co-existing with humans for so long now that they understand human behavior in ways that other animals don't.

I have been afraid of dogs, I have lived with many dogs, and I've learned what makes even strange dogs back down. Really kinda fascinating.

edit: obv if they continue to be aggressive then absolutely dump the idiot, like kick em in the head

mdemone fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 10, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dren posted:

btw I listened to another Andy Slavitt episode because I hate myself. It was about how the pandemic is over when people decide it's over. That's how the 1918 flu pandemic ended. After a couple of years people gave up doing anything then there were a few more bad waves, then it just kind of went away but it was over when people decided to stop doing anything about it. Then they talked about how covid is over now because people have decided it's over and I'm like gently caress you!!! This was top down! People don't want to die, actually, but they generally do what the top level messaging says.

“People who survived the flu in 1918 developed antibodies to a conserved region of the virus.”

drops mic

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
roni

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 12, 2022

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Reminder that this includes money to purchase Paxlovid, because Biden spent what he had without doing that.

Very on brand for him to announce that as a centerpiece of his plan and then not have it materialize but also never acknowledge that or change the plan.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

drat it’s almost as though someone should prevent novel pathogens from entering the country.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/choo_ek/status/1501602780334542848?s=21

good thread

Platystemon posted:

“People who survived the flu in 1918 developed antibodies to a conserved region of the virus.”

drops mic

the dude he had on was some big deal aids researcher. monica, fauci, and now this guy, what is it with the aids doctors being so loving bad at covid?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Platystemon posted:

drat it’s almost as though someone should prevent novel pathogens from entering the country.

No.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Was a sweet dog too.

Sic semper canis :black101:

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

my city dropped mask mandates earlier this week and lol

check out that slope on the right there

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

This probably belongs in the mental health thread but does anyone have tips for finding a Covid realist psychiatrist? I'm not doing so hot depression wise after some personal poo poo piled on top of the general loving nihilism of the moment.

I'm considering going back on antidepressants for the first time in a hot minute and my doc wants me to see someone more specialized. Not crazy urgent but definitely not at a point I want to sit on things too long.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tzen posted:

lol
my workplace has some all staff in person indoor CPR/defib training coming up

It's called synergy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Grabnar posted:

This probably belongs in the mental health thread but does anyone have tips for finding a Covid realist psychiatrist? I'm not doing so hot depression wise after some personal poo poo piled on top of the general loving nihilism of the moment.

I'm considering going back on antidepressants for the first time in a hot minute and my doc wants me to see someone more specialized. Not crazy urgent but definitely not at a point I want to sit on things too long.

look for people who are still holding appointments over video? or when you first speak with them/their assistant to set up the intake appointment ask them straight up. i don't think people will post their stance on whether covid is over or not on their psychologytoday profile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Zugzwang posted:

I normally have this on me, hell I keep 2 in my bag and one in my bathroom. Got caught slippin

Definitely going to have nightmares