Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Eagerly awaiting the conservative call for noted person-who-got-US-service-members-killed-for-idiotic-reasons George W. Bush to be handed over to the Taliban.

No see Bush got people killed for the grand and noble goal of ....

Bergdahl personally sent those six guys to their doom after he left the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Radish posted:

When he left/abandoned his post people died looking for him. I don't really think it's entirely fair since while yes the events wouldn't have transpired where those six guys were in the exact place at the exact time of their deaths, they were killed by enemies in a combat zone so it's really not like the guy booby trapped his trail or anything malicious. It's really nothing more than OBAMA BAD since none of these people gave a poo poo about the six people that died when Bergdahl was in captivity as evidenced here:

http://freakoutnation.com/2014/06/03/before-and-after-shots-republicans-pleading-for-pow-bergdahls-release-until-obama-made-made-the-deal/

I mean this Time article is absurd.
http://time.com/2809352/bowe-bergdahl-deserter-army-taliban/

This entire premise is that we'll never hear about the six who died which is absurd since that's been the narrative since day 1. In addition there's lots of "these guys died while Bergdahl has the audacity to live!" garbage. I don't think that dude deserves any commendations or whatever but acting like he's been chilling at the poolside during his Taliban capture is ridiculous. They are really building up the message that this guy should be dead and since he's not, well we better fix that problem. Soldiers to the GOP are only good for one thing, killing and being killed and that's becoming more and more blatant.

Is there any actual evidence those soldiers died specifically looking for Bergdahl? Because all I can find is they were from the same brigade, in the same province. The 6 soldiers listed all died between 1 and almost 3 months after Bergdahl walked away.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Radish posted:

This entire premise is that we'll never hear about the six who died which is absurd since that's been the narrative since day 1. In addition there's lots of "these guys died while Bergdahl has the audacity to live!" garbage. I don't think that dude deserves any commendations or whatever but acting like he's been chilling at the poolside during his Taliban capture is ridiculous. They are really building up the message that this guy should be dead and since he's not, well we better fix that problem. Soldiers to the GOP are only good for one thing, killing and being killed and that's becoming more and more blatant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/world/middleeast/can-gi-be-tied-to-6-lost-lives-facts-are-murky.html

quote:

Two soldiers died during the most intense period of the search after Sergeant Bergdahl’s June 30 disappearance. Both were inside an outpost that came under attack, not out patrolling and running checkpoints looking for him. The other six soldiers died in late August and early September.

Seems pretty clear to me that it's bullshit to begin with.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zeroisanumber posted:

They were out doing many more missions, going into many more villages, and pouring a lot more soldiers into the area in the search for Bergdahl. It put a lot more people at risk and stirred up a lot of resentment among the Afghans, which led to a disputed number of American soldiers being wounded and killed.

So? Did we take away from Call of Duty time? Were these soldiers not already in a war, getting shot at?

I get the mechanics of how casualties increased because of Bergdahl's actions, but I don't see how you can blame him for making a war zone any more hostile and dangerous than it already was. Like this dude wandering off was the breaking point where poo poo got real.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Eagerly awaiting the conservative call for noted person-who-got-US-service-members-killed-for-idiotic-reasons George W. Bush to be handed over to the Taliban.

It doesn't matter that there is a mountain of strict protocols for declassifying information, (there are countless levels of classified, from, "a service tech can look at it on a need-only basis" to "only the guy with the knuckle of Jesus is allowed to read it") Dick Cheney declared that he can declassify information by verbally mentioning to the press.

Retroactively. :newt:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I hope Obama realizes he essentially has veto power over the Republican primaries now. If a returning USPOW can eat this kind of right wing hate just for being returned on Obama's watch I don't think Ted Cruz or Chris Christie could survive even a cusory approval. Christie was still reeling from the sin of "not throwing literal punches at the sitting president" during his hurricane Sandy visit when Bridge-gate took over as his de-facto reason for being hopeless.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 4, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He should just walk into Congress during session and give Ted the kiss of death.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Radish posted:

If I was active military I would think very carefully

Lol! Good luck with that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Radish posted:

If I was active military I would think very carefully about what the GOP is doing here and how that might affect me if I got captured.

Well you certainly shouldn't voice those concerns to your parents or unit, traitor.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Popular Thug Drink posted:

POW with probable poor mental health. Classy.

I recall from the old Bergdahl thread that the guy was a home-schooled survivalist, so you're not entirely wrong.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I hope Obama realizes he essentially has veto power over the Republican primaries now. If a returning USPOW can eat this kind of right wing hate just for being returned on Obama's watch I don't think Ted Cruz or Chris Christie could survive even a cusory approval. Christie was still reeling from the sin of "not throwing literal punches at the sitting president" during his hurricane Sandy visit when Bridge-gate took over as his de-facto reason for being hopeless.

No, you don't understand, those five Taliban he released were literally the worst bloodthirsty murdering Al Qaedas ever!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

My Q-Face posted:

No, you don't understand, those five Taliban he released were literally the worst bloodthirsty murdering Al Qaedas ever!

I'm sure they're very thankful to secret muslim brother Obama for having raised their profiles tenfold in a country where CIA robot planes fire giant missles at people just like them.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Radish posted:

If I was active military I would think very carefully about what the GOP is doing here and how that might affect me if I got captured.

If you were into thinking carefully you wouldn't be active duty military.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I've apparently been blocked from posting on Sarah Palin's FB wall for asking if anyone remembered when she quit being governor.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

shoplifter posted:

I've apparently been blocked from posting on Sarah Palin's FB wall for asking if anyone remembered when she quit being governor.

Should have posted that. Actually I might just do that.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

So? Did we take away from Call of Duty time? Were these soldiers not already in a war, getting shot at?

In terms of risk, there's quite a difference between being on a firebase and being out pounding around the countryside.

I get the mechanics of how casualties increased because of Bergdahl's actions, but I don't see how you can blame him for making a war zone any more hostile and dangerous than it already was. Like this dude wandering off was the breaking point where poo poo got real.

More soldiers and more patrols made it easier for the Taliban to set-up ambushes. If Bergdahl hadn't run off, then those patrols wouldn't have happened.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 4, 2014

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Zeroisanumber posted:

In terms of risk, there's quite a difference between being on a firebase and being out pounding around the countryside.

More soldiers and more patrols made it easier for the Taliban to set-up ambushes. If Bergdahl hadn't run off, then those patrols wouldn't have happened.
Were there more Taliban casualties after he walked off? (I'm just curious I don't really endorse this kind of calculus, but presumably a more aggressive posture would have this effect, too)

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Those specific patrols, maybe not, but they wouldn't have just been sitting in the base with their thumbs up their asses if he hadn't run off.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
So are we just buying into the idea being sold by a GOP PR firm that he's a deserter or is there actually enough evidence out there already to be talking about it like we know? What level of disappointment do you have to reach about being in a warzone to qualify you as an automatic traitor when you go missing?

I'm being kind of facetious but I honestly can't get a decent handle on what we know about his circumstances from the stories I'm reading. Thanks Media.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So are we just buying into the idea being sold by a GOP PR firm that he's a deserter or is there actually enough evidence out there already to be talking about it like we know? What level of disappointment do you have to reach about being in a warzone to qualify you as an automatic traitor when you go missing?

I'm being kind of facetious but I honestly can't get a decent handle on what we know about his circumstances from the stories I'm reading. Thanks Media.

As near as I can tell, the bulk of it is based on hearsay and pretty relaxed analysis of his last communications with his family.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm going mostly by what has been reported by his squadmates and from letters that he sent home talking about the idea of running off. There are also very few other explanations as to how he ended up off base without any of his equipment.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

anonumos posted:

As near as I can tell, the bulk of it is based on hearsay and pretty relaxed analysis of his last communications with his family.

He expressed disgust with American conduct in Afghanistan, a particular incident in which a young Afghani girl had been crushed by a careless MRAP driver being fresh in his mind, along with his disdain for the attitudes of his superiors towards the Afghan people.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Reading into it a bit more: it looks worse than I had initially thought, but we're still seeing a pretty disgusting display from a lot of people who think they know more than they do and are literally hoping out loud for worse for political reasons.

And again, if we're going to be prosecuting people for idiotic actions in war because they got our soldiers killed then I eagerly await Dick Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and GWB's stints in prison and weeks long cable news segments on FOX where Dr. Keith Ablow explains how much they hate America based on the way they fold their hands in a X-Mas card photo.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 4, 2014

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Wikileak's published wardiary intercepts say that he was captured while taking a poo poo.

https://archive.today/JDRxy#selection-2089.16-578.770

quote:

1- WE WERE ATTACKING THE POST HE WAS SITTING TAKING EXPLETIVE HE HAD NO GUN WITH HIM. HE WAS TAKING EXPLETIVE, HE HAS NOT CLEANED HIS BUTT YET. 2- WHAT SHEAM FOR THEM. 1- I DONT THINK HE W 2-YES LOOK THEY HAVE ALL AMERICANS, ANA HELICOPTERS THE PLANES ARE LOOKING FOR HIM. 1- I THINK HE IS BIG SHOT THAT WHY THEY ARE LOOKING FOR HIM. 3-CAN YOU GUYS MAKE A VIDEO OF HIM AND ANNOUNCE IT ALL OVER AFGHANISTAN THAT WE HAVE ONE OF THE AMERICANS. 1- WE ALREADY HAVE A VIDEO OF HIM.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

JehovahsWetness posted:

Wikileak's published wardiary intercepts say that he was captured while taking a poo poo.

Didn't even let him wipe first. These terrorist truly are irredeemable.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Regardless of whether he deserted or not, wouldn't it be a priority to recapture him for either retrieval as a POW or to face the consequences of his action by military tribunal? Either one seems like the direct message you would want to send to your own armed forces, either we get you to save you or we get you so that you face the punishment of your failures.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

JehovahsWetness posted:

I'm kind of hoping that Bowe claims that the real reason he'd left base was that his fellow soldiers were constantly harassing him, doing stuff like pouring buckets of water on him while he was trying to take a crap. He'd had enough of it, walked off base with a roll of TP and tried to have a poo poo in peace.

It'll be even better if he specifically targets the guy who has been poo poo talking him on Twitter.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Radish posted:

That's easy. Just don't hate America and you'll be safe!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

joeburz posted:

Regardless of whether he deserted or not, wouldn't it be a priority to recapture him for either retrieval as a POW or to face the consequences of his action by military tribunal? Either one seems like the direct message you would want to send to your own armed forces, either we get you to save you or we get you so that you face the punishment of your failures.

I'm not seeing any good Obama attack angles here. Can we still at least bitch about what a fair exchange rate is for American POW's and how the admin totally caved?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Man, if he didn't actually desert then there could be a real interesting slander case against the people who slipped past the 'just asking questions' line

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm not seeing any good Obama attack angles here. Can we still at least bitch about what a fair exchange rate is for American POW's and how the admin totally caved?

After 13 years in Gitmo those dudes that we handed over are probably still getting over being afraid of the sky. I'm not particularly concerned about them becoming terrorists again.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
If a soldier with probable poor mental health takes a poo poo in Afghanistan away from his platoon, would anybody know?

The answer is yes; the GOP, who will then promptly call for literal POW blood.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

That Irish Guy posted:

If a soldier with probable poor mental health takes a poo poo in Afghanistan away from his platoon, would anybody know?

The answer is yes; the GOP, who will then promptly call for literal POW blood.

The hosed up thing is that they were gung ho supporting him back in 2008/2009. It was a cause celebre in the right wing...that is, until Obama actually brought him home.

The Taliban also wanted over a hundred prisoners in exchange for him, and a million dollars. Getting it down to 5 used-up husks and no money is a pretty good feat. I half-expected them to decapitate him in spite...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm going mostly by what has been reported by his squadmates and from letters that he sent home talking about the idea of running off.

You mean the people that had to do months of extra patrols because they were told he deserted? No way they'd harbor a grudge against someone who already didn't fit in.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

anonumos posted:

The hosed up thing is that they were gung ho supporting him back in 2008/2009. It was a cause celebre in the right wing...that is, until Obama actually brought him home.

Matt Binder is doing a great job covering this on twitter right now. It really illustrates how quickly the RWM machine works.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The only clear report prior to this PR campaign is Hastings' Rolling Stone story with what some of the soldiers in his unit thought he did. Nothing actually factual, just a lot of supposition. Also, intercepted Taliban calls were released which suggest that he was captured at the outpost on the toilet without his weapon.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

He expressed disgust with American conduct in Afghanistan, a particular incident in which a young Afghani girl had been crushed by a careless MRAP driver being fresh in his mind, along with his disdain for the attitudes of his superiors towards the Afghan people.

And also the attitudes of his fellow soldiers towards that incident.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

Matt Binder is doing a great job covering this on twitter right now. It really illustrates how quickly the RWM machine works.

This is absolutely incredible.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

moths posted:

You mean the people that had to do months of extra patrols because they were told he deserted? No way they'd harbor a grudge against someone who already didn't fit in.

I mean the people who are in the best position to know, the people who lived and worked with him at his post in Afghanistan.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Actions Obama takes should be presented, framed and defended in with the words of a conservative pundits who have previously strongly supported that action, right down to naming the act after them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zeroisanumber posted:

I mean the people who are in the best position to know, the people who lived and worked with him at his post in Afghanistan.

A proper investigation would mean getting in touch with a wide array of people who lived and worked with him. That's a smart plan.

Currently, we're only hearing from the loudest, most motivated people. His parents certainly think he's a swell guy. Some guy on Twitter thinks he's a shitbag.

When I was in the Navy, there'd sometimes be people who were identified as "Shitbags." If you're a shitbag, you're on the bottom of the pecking order and you can expect to be bullied and harassed constantly until:
1. You fix yourself
2. You kill yourself
3. You get kicked out
4. Someone worse comes along

I'd be willing to bet money that the people complaining the loudest about Berghdal had personally done hosed up poo poo to him.