Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Testekill posted:

As in the quality of the port or just as a game? Because it's good on both accounts. There's a fair bit of tonal dissonance at times but the game is a fun strategy title that there aren't very many like out there on the market.

Okay it is a good game? I might get it for a cool 20$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yea it's pretty cool

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WYA posted:

Okay it is a good game? I might get it for a cool 20$

It's a little *~anime~* in the beginning, but it does get a lot better later.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The MSJ posted:

If I have Shadowrun Returns with the Dragonfall expansion installed, do I need to download the Director's Cut of Dragonfall separately or will the one I have installed update itself to the new version?
The Director's Cut needs to be installed separately because its a standalone game now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I constantly see videos of people playing games going "WHY CAN'T I SHOOT, HOW DO I SHOOT" when it's literally one of the face buttons. Some people, man.

I used to work in a video game store, and you would not believe how many people tried to return one of the first Splinter Cell games because they thought it wasn't recognizing their controller.

Turns out the game starts in a training area with a guy saying out loud "turn and look to your left", and the game won't let you do anything else until you turn the camera.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Evil Mastermind posted:

Turns out the game starts in a training area with a guy saying out loud "turn and look to your left", and the game won't let you do anything else until you turn the camera.

Truly games have reached the Uncanny Valley.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I just discovered in-home streaming when it popped up as an option on my tablet. I just got done playing some Shadow of Mordor on said little tablet in bed and it's so cool to lay in bed and play a game. Sure the screen is tiny but WHO CARES I just played Shadow of Mordor while lying in bed.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I just discovered in-home streaming when it popped up as an option on my tablet. I just got done playing some Shadow of Mordor on said little tablet in bed and it's so cool to lay in bed and play a game. Sure the screen is tiny but WHO CARES I just played Shadow of Mordor while lying in bed.

drat I knew about streaming but I had never even thought to try it on my tablet. That's awesome.

e: vvv yeah that's what I got, already use it to emulate SNES games and use a DS4 via Bluetooth as a controller. Never even thought I could play AAA games on it.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 16, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Papercut posted:

drat I knew about streaming but I had never even thought to try it on my tablet. That's awesome.
The tablet is a Windows 8 tablet, just FYI.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I constantly see videos of people playing games going "WHY CAN'T I SHOOT, HOW DO I SHOOT" when it's literally one of the face buttons. Some people, man.

I remember when Firaxis XCOM was closing on release, all sorts of game sites had little LPs up. The majority of them featured someone moving a Heavy and then trying to fire a rocket, and becoming confused and angry when they couldn't, clicking the button over and over and wondering aloud if Firaxis would fix this "bug" before release - all the while ignoring the large section of the UI showing a "You cannot move and and fire this weapon in the same turn" message.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
Well I've had a nice time building an messing around with my new pc, and I'm glad I made the choice over the ps4. That said, now I have my library of old rear end games and very few friends from when I ran steam on my old laptop.

Steam: id/wholegrainwheatbread
Steam name: bunnysplits

Come be my friend.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Heard a rumor that Shadow of Mordor was going half price for Black Friday, is that true?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Splits posted:

Well I've had a nice time building an messing around with my new pc, and I'm glad I made the choice over the ps4. That said, now I have my library of old rear end games and very few friends from when I ran steam on my old laptop.

Come be my friend.

I recognise the name Bunnysplits. What have we played together? I wanna say Borderlands but I'm not sure.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home

AirRaid posted:

I recognise the name Bunnysplits. What have we played together? I wanna say Borderlands but I'm not sure.

Probably that since it was the last new game my laptop could run without overheating

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Heard a rumor that Shadow of Mordor was going half price for Black Friday, is that true?

Not seeing anything to that effect but it wouldn't surprise me. It's 64% off at G2A right now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Orv posted:

Not seeing anything to that effect but it wouldn't surprise me. It's 64% off at G2A right now.

Oh, cool. Not missing anything too important if I just go with the standard edition, right? And how demanding would you say the specs are...the recommended settings on Steam are through the roof, but will I be able to make it look as pretty as it seems in the previews with an i5 4570 / GTX 760 / 16 GB RAM?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Some thoughts on Valkyria Chronicles.

The game is very fun. It also has some significant flaws that are starting to bother me more and more.

Most of the time it's silly anime hogwash and then suddenly you'll have a few minutes of not-the Third Reich wholesale slaughtering not-jewish children in literal concentration camps, and then half an hour later you have two burning anime girls shooting laser beams at each other.

The cutscenes get really exhausting. I skipped pretty much all of them as the game progressed which lead to situations where I didn't watch a cutscene about a flying pig or whatever and the next cutscene just dropped me into a cutscene of the gang at a graveyard mourning the death of a pretty significant plot character. At another point I skipped a cutscene and ended up having to do a beach landing on my own territory because??? All the defenses Gallia are constructed in a really weird way in that they seem to be designed specifically for an opposing force to use against you. The cutscenes are also ripe with absolutely bizarre dialogue such as a dude going on about how war is a lot like birds or how he wants to become a bridge. Also nobody seems to be particularly hate the enemy very much, its more like welp we gotta fight these dudes I guess, oh well!

The balancing is completely hosed and the game designers know it. To get A rankings you are required to cheese the missions by abusing spells in combination with the character class that you will realize within an hour is OP as gently caress. The game "fixes this" by facing you with increasingly ludicrous challenges such as "invlunerable gatling gun bunkers". The crap balancing theme continues with the upgrade system where everything is so cheap if you can't buy every single upgrade after every single mission I really don't know what you're doing.

The tanks are haunted and will randomly spazz out or drive random directions leaving you at constant risk of your commander exposing his giant glowing weak spot resulting in a one shot kill and an instant game over.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Oh, cool. Not missing anything too important if I just go with the standard edition, right? And how demanding would you say the specs are...the recommended settings on Steam are through the roof, but will I be able to make it look as pretty as it seems in the previews with an i5 4570 / GTX 760 / 16 GB RAM?

The recommended specs are hot bullshit. The game is so well optimized people with less than minimum are playing it on low with perfectly fine FPS. You'll be more than fine, just don't bother with the Ultra textures, they have no noticeable difference.

As for the DLC, none of the meaningful stuff is out yet, and one of the DLCs is apparently going to be pretty extensive. At this point it's your call, but given how many times it has been on sale on G2A already I'd hold off.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I'm just below the minimum settings and I can play it with a constant 30+ FPS and I don't even have everything set to low.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

how me a frog posted:

Some thoughts on Valkyria Chronicles.

The cutscenes get really exhausting. I skipped pretty much all of them as the game progressed which lead to situations where I didn't watch a cutscene about a flying pig or whatever and the next cutscene just dropped me (snip) At another point I skipped a cutscene and ended up having to do a beach landing on my own territory because???

You skip cutscenes and then you get confused about what's going on? You don't get to complain about things being confusing if you deliberately try and ignore the story.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The tablet is a Windows 8 tablet, just FYI.

Yeah, I can confirm the Surface Pro 3 is made for Steam streaming. Good stuff.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

how me a frog posted:

The cutscenes are also ripe with absolutely bizarre dialogue such as a dude going on about how war is a lot like birds or how he wants to become a bridge. Also nobody seems to be particularly hate the enemy very much, its more like welp we gotta fight these dudes I guess, oh well!

The balancing is completely hosed and the game designers know it. To get A rankings you are required to cheese the missions by abusing spells in combination with the character class that you will realize within an hour is OP as gently caress. The game "fixes this" by facing you with increasingly ludicrous challenges such as "invlunerable gatling gun bunkers". The crap balancing theme continues with the upgrade system where everything is so cheap if you can't buy every single upgrade after every single mission I really don't know what you're doing.

The tanks are haunted and will randomly spazz out or drive random directions leaving you at constant risk of your commander exposing his giant glowing weak spot resulting in a one shot kill and an instant game over.

The nature thing is the developers attempt to explain why Welkin is a military genius. Basically as they describe it he understands nature so well/knows Gallia so well from his Uni days that he can come up with plans nobody else would think of ( the game is a WW1/2 analogue, most of the Generals still think in terms of trench warfare. ) off of how animals fight, with Alicia/Largo/Rosie coming up with the actual how they fight plans. Like most of the battles start with "We should gently caress them up from the water like the majestic seal, because the majestic seal is a total loving boss at slaughtering dudes."

Yeah it's dumb, but at least they tried explaining it, unlike most games which just say ~this child is the best because magic~.

A Rank isn't really something you should be trying for until endgame/NG+. You can go back through the levels with more gear/potentials/better stuff and suddenly all the other classes are viable. Also, and this leads into the tank issues, but if you play higher then 60 FPS the tanks kind of spaz out. Also though if you play at 60 fps, the enemies reaction fire is doubled, which is oddly enough a good thing, because everyone can survive it easily EXCEPT Scouts, so suddenly you can't Scout Rush anymore.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Splits posted:

Come be my friend.

Welcome back! I sent you something a few months ago. Almost regifted it when I noticed you hadn't been on Steam in over a year, but fortunately didn't. You have some catching up to do. 2014 has been a hell of a year for good games.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

how me a frog posted:

Also nobody seems to be particularly hate the enemy very much, its more like welp we gotta fight these dudes I guess, oh well!

Well yeah, that's war.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Well yeah, that's war.

You might want to talk to some real life veterans.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Our government is the good guys and everyone who they say is bad is the bad guys. You're not a bad guy, are you?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ekster posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce

also there are several characters that literally have the trait that they hate the enemy but i don't suppose a person might notice that if he can't understand the most basic recurrent war symbolism in regard to nature

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You skip cutscenes and then you get confused about what's going on? You don't get to complain about things being confusing if you deliberately try and ignore the story.

My point is more the cutscenes waste an hour of my time with frivolous bullshit but at the very end something important sonetimes happens. This is doubly asinine as they split the cutscenes into four segments you have to start manually. Ity almost literally like a video of a character baking a cake and suddenly aliens have invaded and your reasonable response to this problem is saying if i had watched the cake baking video for 10 more minutes they would have all gone tobeat the cake at the brach and after that i would have learned all about the aliens.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Justin_Brett posted:

Well yeah, that's war.

I dunno if some guys invaded my country and killed my sister i would be a bit cheesed off for sure...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ekster posted:

You mean the ones more angry at their government than the dudes they're fighting?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there literally is an entire chapter in valkyria chronicles dedicated to the fact that the enemy are just people as well fighting under a lovely government

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
That chapter is surreal though as it is just something the gang decides on its own while the enemy is depicted as murderous bastards on every level all the time.

Welkin at al are so much holier than thou it verges on parody. Maybe thats whats bothering me so much.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rookersh posted:

The nature thing is the developers attempt to explain why Welkin is a military genius. Basically as they describe it he understands nature so well/knows Gallia so well from his Uni days that he can come up with plans nobody else would think of ( the game is a WW1/2 analogue, most of the Generals still think in terms of trench warfare. ) off of how animals fight, with Alicia/Largo/Rosie coming up with the actual how they fight plans. Like most of the battles start with "We should gently caress them up from the water like the majestic seal, because the majestic seal is a total loving boss at slaughtering dudes."

Yeah it's dumb, but at least they tried explaining it, unlike most games which just say ~this child is the best because magic~.

A Rank isn't really something you should be trying for until endgame/NG+. You can go back through the levels with more gear/potentials/better stuff and suddenly all the other classes are viable. Also, and this leads into the tank issues, but if you play higher then 60 FPS the tanks kind of spaz out. Also though if you play at 60 fps, the enemies reaction fire is doubled, which is oddly enough a good thing, because everyone can survive it easily EXCEPT Scouts, so suddenly you can't Scout Rush anymore.

Actually that example was more like "the water in this river's pretty shallow this time of year, so rather than marching across the bridge and getting shot like lemmings let's get the Edelweiss across the shallows and jump their asses from behind."

There's also stuff like "gently caress the roads, here's how to spot the trails the local wildlife use through the forest and lets use them instead."

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 16, 2014

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Also though if you play at 60 fps, the enemies reaction fire is doubled, which is oddly enough a good thing, because everyone can survive it easily EXCEPT Scouts, so suddenly you can't Scout Rush anymore.

I'm not sure if i can call it a good thing that the devs were retarded enough to tie game logic into framerates to the point where characters literally melt if an enemy sees them. I mean this is already a really bad game for a lot of reasons but gamebreaking bugs usually aren't good.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually that example was more like "the water in this river's pretty shallow this time of year, so rather than marching across the bridge and getting shot like lemmings let's get the Edelweiss across the shallows and jump their asses from behind."

There's also stuff like "gently caress the roads, here's how to spot the trails the local wildlife use through the forest and lets use them instead."
Basically, if VC had been made in the US Welkin would have been rendered as a "Native American".

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

how me a frog posted:

That chapter is surreal though as it is just something the gang decides on its own while the enemy is depicted as murderous bastards on every level all the time.

Welkin at al are so much holier than thou it verges on parody. Maybe thats whats bothering me so much.

look i know you aren't watching the cutscenes but this is simply false welkin and alicia find a wounded enemy soldier, they try to treat them medically but he dies so they bury him. in the morning a patrol of whatever the enemy country's name was find them and have them surrounded. they ask about the wounded guy, find out they treated him and buried him respectfully and thus let them go to to meet them on the battlefield. there also is the example of the officer who kills civilians and prisoners getting court martialled and shot for his deeds and the guy from the other country who serves the enemy being a stand up guy. plus selveria isn't generically evil either.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Davincie posted:

look i know you aren't watching the cutscenes but this is simply false welkin and alicia find a wounded enemy soldier, they try to treat them medically but he dies so they bury him. in the morning a patrol of whatever the enemy country's name was find them and have them surrounded. they ask about the wounded guy, find out they treated him and buried him respectfully and thus let them go to to meet them on the battlefield. there also is the example of the officer who kills civilians and prisoners getting court martialled and shot for his deeds and the guy from the other country who serves the enemy being a stand up guy. plus selveria isn't generically evil either.

I saw that scene. Its shallow nonsense when the rest of the time imperials are all about shooting pregnant ladies and burning toddlers alive. This game makes a mockery of the holocaust and I will not stand for people actively defending it on that aspect.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the germans loving killed tons of people in my country during ww2, and yet i can travel 15 minutes and find a statue dedicated to the 'good german'. you're just looking for faults that aren't there
http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/controversial-memorial-honor-wwii-german-soldier-karl-heinz-rosch.html

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Davincie posted:

the germans loving killed tons of people in my country during ww2, and yet i can travel 15 minutes and find a statue dedicated to the 'good german'. you're just looking for faults that aren't there
http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/controversial-memorial-honor-wwii-german-soldier-karl-heinz-rosch.html

This was a long and arduous process that had to be undertaken, it was not a case of gi's burying the victims of liberated concentration camps while shrugging and moralizing about how most5 germans probably werent in to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

how me a frog posted:

This was a long and arduous process that had to be undertaken, it was not a case of gi's burying the victims of liberated concentration camps while shrugging and moralizing about how most5 germans probably werent in to this.

These are some really great opinions from a guy who didn't bother watching any cutscenes. Let me just ramble about WW2 for awhile.

• Locked thread