Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I definitely think the "throw human fodder at the Dark" thing is pretty key to the theme of the game but there are ways to give it a bit more personality. How about all the characters are the same people who survived the battle with the Heart but now they're tainted and they can't die? If they fall in a dungeon they eventually wander back to the camp a couple weeks later with even less of their humanity intact. They are all just drawn to this mountain.

Alternatively, build the game like the Etrian Odyssey Untolds: at the beginning you can choose either to play Story mode with pre-set characters or a more open mode where you pull fodder off the wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My guess is that at the end of the first game everyone flees the town and tries to escape to the far end of the world. It doesn't work.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I'm guessing you're not the same character anymore, since the final cutscene video makes it pretty drat explicit that you're supposed to have committed suicide when you realized that you only set the Heart back a bit and didn't actually destroy it.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My guess is that at the end of the first game everyone flees the town and tries to escape to the far end of the world. It doesn't work.

It wasn't really implied that everyone fled; seemed more like the normal townsfolk that aren't broke just go into terminal complacency and are just kinda like '...well I mean we're sitting on hell itself but we still gotta eat.' Dunno about the heroes, though. 'Short period of victory-induced complacency until one or several of them got antsy to the point of having a meltdown' would be both mundane and weirdly apropos.

Backhand posted:

I'm guessing you're not the same character anymore, since the final cutscene video makes it pretty drat explicit that you're supposed to have committed suicide when you realized that you only set the Heart back a bit and didn't actually destroy it.

'Dear whoever this is, I have learned literally nothing, follow in my footsteps and gently caress up just as hard, signed the Heir'

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 20, 2019

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Well hey atleast you postponed the apocalypse by some amount of time. Surely it's worth all the broken souls you ruined in the process.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Spurple and I got so excited about the new game announcement we started immediately drafting up alternate skins for our character mods. :shittydog:

Relatedly, we're working on another custom class! She's an exiled member of the Court, looking to take her revenge against the Countess.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Old Boot posted:

'Dear whoever this is, I have learned literally nothing, follow in my footsteps and gently caress up just as hard, signed the Heir'

It's basically the equivalent of the Khrushchev letters at this point.

"the first time you accidentally unearth an unspeakable evil: commit untold horrible and unconscionable acts to defeat it and blame the whole thing on me"

"the second time you accidentally unearth an unspeakable evil: grab a pen, a loaded pistol, and two sheets of paper..."

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Firstborn posted:

Where the gently caress is Crusader????

One of the bosses, maybe?

Also since this is Lovecraft I demand giant albino penguins.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Penguins are curios that your characters can watch to lower stress. If you use the shovel as the interaction item your characters bludgeon them to death and you get some food at the cost of stress.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
That mountain was seriously stressed out in the teaser!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Crasical posted:

Penguins are curios that your characters can watch to lower stress. If you use the shovel as the interaction item your characters bludgeon them to death and you get some food at the cost of stress.

That's seal pups. Penguins will be devoured to abate your ravenous hunger that can cause an adventurer to potentially starve to death during a day-long hike.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Guys we know were is the crusader: Reynauld retired and is living like a King off the stuff he nicked along the way.

Old Boot posted:

It's more of a "I just learnt the existence of a cosmic horror that happens to be our our planet or living inside of it, and we are its spawn, now mundane things randomly flicker into cosmic horror. I can't deal with this poo poo."
We also may be the same character or at least a version of them who didn't ate a bullet and broke the time loop.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Kinda astonished there was no stress symbol in the trailer. Does that mean it is connected to the first game's cult?

My guess: The game's about the Flame, which doesn't end up wanting to help humanity in the way you'd like.

edit: I mean, I know it's connected to the cult, but I didn't think it was *only* connected to it. I saw it as a thread running through the world as a whole.

double edit: duh, I just saw it. Shut it down.

Helion fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 20, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'd say that the Ancestor as he seems to have become a vessel or harbinger of the Chaos, can narrate all he wants. Not even death can stop it. On a meta note, there's no way they could cut Wayne June now. At worst, they could get another really good VA, but June is as much of this as stress symbols.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
https://www.pcgamer.com/darkest-dungeon-2-trailer/

"What gameplay and other changes are you able to talk to us about at this time?"

We’re playing this pretty close to the chest! Our combat system is making a return, but we’re giving it a significant tune-up—mechanically, and in terms of presentation. Most significantly, however, we are working with a completely different metagame structure. Darkest Dungeon 2 is a game about enduring a gruelling journey, not cleaning up your backyard.

"Darkest Dungeon's corrupted setting is an inseparable part of its appeal. Will the sequel be focused on the Estate and its surroundings, or a new location?"

In Darkest Dungeon 2, we’re giving players a glimpse of the supernatural apocalypse twisting and distorting the world beyond the estate... and that’s all we’re going to say about that for now.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
Curious to see exactly what they mean by metagame structure.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I was kind of thinking the sequel would take place far in the future where you plan to leave earth and blow it up once and for all, only TWIST ENDING the cosmic horror you just murdered was actually just a baby and it's daddy the sun gets super pissed off.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I wouldn't mind a sunless seas crossover

Theflametheflametheflametheflametheflametheflametheflametheflametheflametheflametheflametheflametheflame

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/darkest-dungeon-2-trailer/

"What gameplay and other changes are you able to talk to us about at this time?"

We’re playing this pretty close to the chest! Our combat system is making a return, but we’re giving it a significant tune-up—mechanically, and in terms of presentation. Most significantly, however, we are working with a completely different metagame structure. Darkest Dungeon 2 is a game about enduring a gruelling journey, not cleaning up your backyard.

"Darkest Dungeon's corrupted setting is an inseparable part of its appeal. Will the sequel be focused on the Estate and its surroundings, or a new location?"

In Darkest Dungeon 2, we’re giving players a glimpse of the supernatural apocalypse twisting and distorting the world beyond the estate... and that’s all we’re going to say about that for now.

The crystals have infested the world. The Flame is burning the world. The Fishmen are empire building.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

yo mamma a Horus posted:

Curious to see exactly what they mean by metagame structure.

I imagine given the expedition theming the game might be closer to a traditional rogue lite. Managing your team of adventurers as they slowly scale the mountain delving into caves of horror etc. the metagame is camping and so on between treks, so no townbuilding but more direct interactions with the characters hired.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Darkest Dungeon 2 is a game about enduring a gruelling journey, not cleaning up your backyard.
So Oregon Trail/Banner Saga in a DD universe?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Journeying beyond the Hamlet makes me wonder something specific, narratively speaking.

If I'm remembering the background fluff correctly, then the Hamlet was a run down fuckfest at the rear end end of nowhere; humanity has armies and high-level hero-type adventurers and all that, but actually convincing any of them that the Hamlet is worth their time was utterly fruitless. The depths of its evil were not common knowledge and it wasn't considered very lucrative by most adventurers. Nobody really knew how bad the problem was, or how world-threatening it was, until you really started diving into it.

If corruption is starting to spread into the wider world, are more and more people becoming aware of it? Are people going to start taking it more seriously and treating it as a more credible threat? I imagine the feel of the game is still going to be "you are hopelessly outmatched against horrors beyond imagining and desperately struggling just to keep things afloat," simply because it wouldn't really be Darkest Dungeon otherwise. But it makes me wonder. I feel like, if the dominant powers of the setting were aware of what was sleeping under their feet, there would be very little reason NOT to raise armies and attack it with everything they've got like some sort of bizarre reverse-XCOM.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Anybody playing on the Switch? I'm thinking of picking it up as a game to play on the little screen while my wife watches her stories.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
This game really benefits from having its setting mostly implied through glimpses, genre markers and references to history and fiction, so we probably won't see the wider world developed. The issue you're talking about can be easily handwaved away by saying that the powers that be are all lazy, corrupt, squabbling fools, some of them more than likely under the sway of dark powers themselves. Totally on theme.

As for replacing the hero meat grinder with named characters... I like it thematically, but I don't think it can be squared with permadeath in a way that doesn't make the game unfun.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

Anybody playing on the Switch? I'm thinking of picking it up as a game to play on the little screen while my wife watches her stories.

Yeah, I've got it on Switch. The version is usually out of sync with the PC version so you'll have different balance. And the controls take some getting used to. But it's perfectly serviceable, and a pretty great game for playing as much or as little of as you want in a sitting.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Backhand posted:

If corruption is starting to spread into the wider world, are more and more people becoming aware of it? Are people going to start taking it more seriously and treating it as a more credible threat?

There might be a lot of sticking their head in the sand, too. Depends a bit on how up their own asses the religious leaders are, and who/what factions they ultimately blame for the hamlet/everything that happened there, since (I'm guessing) they're going to be pretty key players in how said armies respond.

I mean, it'd be in lock step with basic history to have them turn around and tag, say, the Hellion's people as the dirty pagans that caused it, because you gotta blame someone to keep everyone believing in your sorry asses. Even, or perhaps especially when everything is coming apart at the seams.

One way or another, I'd guess they're either distracted by other poo poo, or basically pulling the Dark Ages vs. Lovecraft version of Republicans vs. Climate Change.

EDIT:

Guildencrantz posted:

This game really benefits from having its setting mostly implied through glimpses, genre markers and references to history and fiction, so we probably won't see the wider world developed.

Also, yeah, this. There may be more glimpses, this time around, but I doubt it'll be anything super impactful.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Pretty stoked to stumble across this thread and announcement. Bought this on Steam ages ago as a contingency game and wouldn't you know it I'm still waiting for the internet to be set up at my new flat. I have the base game updated as much as possible sans any DLC, wanted to share some thoughts and ask some questions:

Arbalest seems pretty underwhelming, but Bounty Hunter feels like such dead weight - he just hits things and, uh, moves things? Am I just using him improperly or is he legit just "meh"? I feel this way about Grave Robbers too.

On the flip side, Leper and Abomination are amazing in terms or raw damage output. Then again I got a very rare trinket for my Abom quite early so he's causing minimal stress as manbearpig.

Oh, and gently caress you Reynauld, you thieving gently caress I'm glad the hag cooked you to death.

Game is rad.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Bounty Hunter has an excellent stun and solid damage output, with reasonable speed and HP. The marking mechanic means he does better in long fights against big enemies, and with teammates who also use marks.

Grave Robber dishes out decent damage with ridiculous speed and positional flexibility, so she doesn't get hosed if your party gets shuffled around (unlike say the Leper who becomes deadweight if he gets shuffled into the back of the party.)

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Arbalest seems pretty underwhelming, but Bounty Hunter feels like such dead weight - he just hits things and, uh, moves things? Am I just using him improperly or is he legit just "meh"? I feel this way about Grave Robbers too.

Make sure you're paying attention to their attack tooltips, and specifically the conditions that cause them to do bonus damage. Arbalest and Bounty Hunter both rely on marking targets before attacking them, at which point they will do hilarious amounts of damage.

The Grave Robber is both fast and versatile, she has solid attacks from almost any position but more importantly she's more likely to go first every turn, which means you can use her to pickaxe or dagger some horrible thing away before it can attack again.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
:eyepop: Uh, wow. Not sure how I missed those modifiers, especially since marking isn't an alien concept to me thanks to abusing Houndmasters. I'll level up my Arbalest and Bounty Hunter a bit more and take them for a spin. As for Grave Robber I think I was just spoiled by Highwayman going Duelist Advance > Point-Blank Shot early game for obscene damage, but a blight-spreader that isn't a Plague Doctor taking up the back ranks sounds like a good investment.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Bounty Hunter is legit my favorite character since he is so versatile. He can stun, move things, hit a lot of rows, mark, debuff prot, buff damage AND do hilarious amounts of damage :v:

My fastest boss run was against champ prophet, 3 turns with Arbalest/Vestal/Bounty Hunter/Hellion, increased damage debuff from caltrops and the mark for the arbalest lead to constant 60-80 damage crits.

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 21, 2019

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

DeadButDelicious posted:

Pretty stoked to stumble across this thread and announcement. Bought this on Steam ages ago as a contingency game and wouldn't you know it I'm still waiting for the internet to be set up at my new flat. I have the base game updated as much as possible sans any DLC, wanted to share some thoughts and ask some questions:

On the flip side, Leper and Abomination are amazing in terms or raw damage output. Then again I got a very rare trinket for my Abom quite early so he's causing minimal stress as manbearpig.

Oh, and gently caress you Reynauld, you thieving gently caress I'm glad the hag cooked you to death.

Game is rad.
the less straightforward characters become more useful when you get into higher difficulties and need to outsmart your enemies rather than simply overpower them. for bounty hunter: pulling can be just as effective as killing. for arbalest: bosses, and eventually certain mobs, become much easier if you bring marking classes with you. the game is balanced so that if a class is conventionally weaker (less damage/health) they typically have more movement and utility.

Zane fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 21, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The leper is a sledgehammer; the Robber a scalpel. It’s just that, no matter how much people like to joke talk about quad leper, only being able to hit the frontlines is super not good.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Arbalest is one of the rare examples where being slow is an asset for her - she's more likely to go after other heroes, so if she gets shuffled out of position another hero can shuffle her back, she can heal people out of Death's door and set up bonus healing if you have a fast healer that might go immediately after her on the following turn. Sniper Shot gets bonus crit chance on top of bonus damage vs marked targets. She has a camp skill to boost the speed of other party members which is valuable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Am I crazy that I used to be able to organize by characters by level/class/stress level etc.? (PS4)

I just started a new game after a while away from it and now when I hit the shoulder buttons to cycle through the filters nothing happens. Is this a known glitch? Does it not work until I have the party maxed out at 27?

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 21, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Darkest Dungeon 2 is going to involve fighting the only other significant source of otherworldly power you never confront: The Flame

That's why the Crusader and Vestal aren't featured in the trailer despite being two of the most prominent classes; they're servants of the Flame, and would oppose your quest.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Relatedly, we're working on another custom class! She's an exiled member of the Court, looking to take her revenge against the Countess.

Cool concept but she doesn't look like a hideous bug mutant at all so you hosed it up.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I thought the Leper served the flame as well? Or I am miss-remembering the religious characters?

Either way, yay DD2 :toot:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I thought the Leper served the flame as well? Or I am miss-remembering the religious characters?

Either way, yay DD2 :toot:

Leper believes in the Flame but does not draw power from it, so losing his faith would not affect his combat ability.

Flagellant, Crusader, and Vestal all are reliant upon it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what if the vestal gets too horny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Obligatory 'jesus christ what's with the tits, will you stop puking your stupid fetish all over everything' followed by 'lol ur all prudes'

I suppose we should all be happy that Mr. Artistic Vision showed some vague restraint this time.

Internet Kraken posted:

Darkest Dungeon 2 is going to involve fighting the only other significant source of otherworldly power you never confront: The Flame

That's why the Crusader and Vestal aren't featured in the trailer despite being two of the most prominent classes; they're servants of the Flame, and would oppose your quest.

Somehow my mind just whiffed right past the part about the Flame, so thanks for clarifying.