Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Alright. I'm converting to the Church of Urbie. Let's talk turkey.

Keep in mind, I'm an idiot. (UM-R60L)

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Lord Dudeguy posted:

FTFY

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Anita Dickinme posted:

I was thinking more of the option to hop onto other comms to see if people are actually playing more than trying to splitting us up. Like for example I've never played with anyone on your discord afaik so if I wanted I could see if a couple people were on there and drop with em.

mumble.goonrathi.com

mellon

Works for me. I'll post a permanent link to the discord. It contains various Hellion Goons and my MWO addicted buddies. There's usually at least a couple people playing most weeknights, and of course on weekends. Feel free to put it in the OP (or not, your call):

https://discord.gg/Nw59stN

Lord Dudeguy posted:

As Skoll mentioned you're gonna want an XL in that beast. All your weapons are in your arms so zombie-ing isn't an option and you're not gonna be that tanky in an urbie no matter what weapon you use. Take advantage of your 360 degree torso twist to roll damage.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

R63 with 2x LPL and an xl180. Stay near an assault and shoot what he's shooting. Unless it's an lrm assault then shoot him.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Great Beer posted:

R63 with 2x LPL and an xl180. Stay near an assault and shoot what he's shooting. Unless it's an lrm assault then shoot him.

"Accidentally". Remember to apologize profusely while requesting assistance.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

always this.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
I accidentally shot a lrm assault teammate in the back today.
Total accident! From 20m. Into his back ct. With a 105point alpha.
Whoopsies!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Projectiles like SRMs go through dead or dying mechs. You can use your deadweight lrm spirit bear teammate as a distraction while you flank an enemy mech.

Please do the needful.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Mother of god...

This rules.

:edit:

My eyes have been opened! I believe! :catholic:

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 19, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

veedubfreak posted:

Don't forget to tell your team where to scout either.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I decided to re download this today.
I'm in as Etreri for anyone who wants a Robo bro, all I have is a crab.

Also the servers are down, getting an error 66

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Using your jumpjets is extremely important with the urbanmech, because the only way you'll keep anything remotely close to pace with lights or even other mediums is by jumping to shorten your paths. It's also good for shooting people and not receiving damage.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
Just played a round with TheB33f in my new Urbie.

This is my new lucky build. I'm feeling it.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

future ghost posted:

Technical Stuff

I'm using the stand alone, and thanks for the info. I don't understand any of that since my technical skills are akin to a monkey smashing a keyboard, but it should help me direct searches on how to get MWO to actually work. It's been fine for the couple years I've been playing, and this just came out of no where.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
Sitting on a bunch of MC from a ways back... any recommendations for a mastery pack?

I've done the Locust, Griffin, and Stormcrow already.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
wait for clan heroes

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Buying the Locust was the best possible decision I could have made. It's like I'm not even piloting a mech, you can't even see above the waist of most mechs!

With my locust bringing in a shitload of cash I want to try out something with huge ACs now since basically everything I own atm is a laserboat (except for the Stormcrow where I purchased the SRM/SSRM parts to try that out). Leaning towards just getting the KDK-3 but I'm very open to suggestions for must-have good AC builds.

Moving on to something that doesn't break 150 kph is going to be hard though :smith:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
build an AC20 raven

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

No, build an AC40 Cicada

e: I'm dumb and bad and forgot you have to have 10 heatsinks. Try this terrible mech instead:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=39&l=5360723655b4939c22b0d811e3c3dcc9ab44903b

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 20, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

This doesn't have enough heatsinks.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Artificer posted:

This doesn't have enough heatsinks.

I knew I forgot something. That's what I get for hastily trying to make a half-remembered build from the days of yore. Now that I think about it I think it had standard heat sinks and a STD100 engine, and like only one ton of ammo. It doesn't matter - you won't live long enough to get more than two volleys off.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I'm not afraid to admit I tried to stick ACs on my Locust and it looked a lot like these... things.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
Sorry for blubbering on this page, guys... but holy poo poo this is the best...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Manyorcas posted:

With my locust bringing in a shitload of cash I want to try out something with huge ACs now since basically everything I own atm is a laserboat (except for the Stormcrow where I purchased the SRM/SSRM parts to try that out). Leaning towards just getting the KDK-3 but I'm very open to suggestions for must-have good AC builds.

KDK-3 is good, quad UAC10s, 2 5s and 2 10s, quad LB10s. There's a trial build of the KDK-3 right now if you want to try it out and see how it is; the build is a bit dumb but if you just never fire the lasers and pretend they're not there then it's fairly representative of the mech. If you'd rather go for AC20s, the King Crab will be your mech; you can fit two AC20s and three SRM6 while keeping a 350 standard engine with reasonable cooling. If you want to go a bit smaller, the Night Gyr is great, you can run quad UAC5s, six UAC2s, or double gauss easily.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Confirm. Urbanmechs are the best. Eagerly awaiting snub nosed ppcs for urbies.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

aniviron posted:

KDK-3 is good, quad UAC10s, 2 5s and 2 10s, quad LB10s. There's a trial build of the KDK-3 right now if you want to try it out and see how it is; the build is a bit dumb but if you just never fire the lasers and pretend they're not there then it's fairly representative of the mech. If you'd rather go for AC20s, the King Crab will be your mech; you can fit two AC20s and three SRM6 while keeping a 350 standard engine with reasonable cooling. If you want to go a bit smaller, the Night Gyr is great, you can run quad UAC5s, six UAC2s, or double gauss easily.

Excellent, thank you! I had my eye on all three of those mechs and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any other options, I'll be sure to fiddle with all of them in the mech lab.

Since I frequently forget trial mechs exist and haven't used them much: if there's a trial for your mech but with a variant you don't have, can you use it enough in the trial week to get the tier 1 XP skills, effectively reducing the number of copies of the mech that you need by one? The mech mastery thing is why I'm kind of looking forward to the new skill tree if they manage to make it much less super grindy than what it originally had.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Manyorcas posted:

Excellent, thank you! I had my eye on all three of those mechs and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any other options, I'll be sure to fiddle with all of them in the mech lab.

Since I frequently forget trial mechs exist and haven't used them much: if there's a trial for your mech but with a variant you don't have, can you use it enough in the trial week to get the tier 1 XP skills, effectively reducing the number of copies of the mech that you need by one? The mech mastery thing is why I'm kind of looking forward to the new skill tree if they manage to make it much less super grindy than what it originally had.

No. You can get xp on the non-champion version of the trial mechs by playing the trial mechs, but you cannot spend those points. Therefore, you cannot get the basics necessary for Mastery of a chassis.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Manyorcas posted:

The only other real ballistic mech of note is the Jagermech which is capable of doing double AC20s, double gauss, triple UAC5, or 5 AC2s; I didn't mention it because it's largely fallen off the radar these days. It has excellent high mounts, but it's very fragile so you don't see them often. If you want a ballistic mech but it has to be IS and can't be an assault, that is my recommendation.

And Artificer above is correct, you can't spend mech XP for mechs you do not currently own. I would personally hold off on buying three of a mech if it's as expensive as the Kodiak right now though, it's only a month until the skill tree IIRC. If you have tons and tons of CB to burn and need it now, go ahead I suppose but the wait isn't that long and the KDK-3 is great even without mastery.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

aniviron posted:

The only other real ballistic mech of note is the Jagermech which is capable of doing double AC20s, double gauss, triple UAC5, or 5 AC2s; I didn't mention it because it's largely fallen off the radar these days. It has excellent high mounts, but it's very fragile so you don't see them often. If you want a ballistic mech but it has to be IS and can't be an assault, that is my recommendation.

And Artificer above is correct, you can't spend mech XP for mechs you do not currently own. I would personally hold off on buying three of a mech if it's as expensive as the Kodiak right now though, it's only a month until the skill tree IIRC. If you have tons and tons of CB to burn and need it now, go ahead I suppose but the wait isn't that long and the KDK-3 is great even without mastery.

Only a month? Hopefully (haha) its actually well implemented this time around.

Also, for IS non-assault ballistic mechs, there's also the Black Widow but of course you ought to wait for a major hero mech sale if you want it, since the only way to get it is with real money.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I am glad you are enjoying the might that is the trashcan, king of mechs.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The Kodiak Trial mech was directly responsible for getting the "get 5 kills in one match" achievement. Think that ones a keeper. This KDK-3 looks like what I'll be going for, seems kind of difficult to gently caress up the build. Thanks again everyone!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Manyorcas posted:

The Kodiak Trial mech was directly responsible for getting the "get 5 kills in one match" achievement. Think that ones a keeper. This KDK-3 looks like what I'll be going for, seems kind of difficult to gently caress up the build. Thanks again everyone!

Going 2UAC10s and 2UAC5s like the trial one is the optimal loadout for it right now, because it lets you alpha strike your weapons instead of splitting shots over al ong period of time. UAC10s used to have poo poo all for ghost heat so you could just blat people in the face, but now you do the split so you can fire, jam all your guns like a dumbass, and then duck back around a hill to let them unjam after doing egregious amounts of damage. Going 4UAC10s doubles or triples your exposure time, which is something you don't want.

Also just use the clan XL400 or XL380. There is no good reason to run a standard on a clan mech with the exception of really, really dumb gimmick builds that are terrible and funny.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

aniviron posted:

How dare you forget the glory of the SHD-2H? Shove dual ac5 or triple ac2 in those ridiculously high shoulder mounts and run around at 100kph making GBS threads rounds with inbuilt 30% cooldown bonus

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

Commoners posted:

Going 2UAC10s and 2UAC5s like the trial one is the optimal loadout for it right now, because it lets you alpha strike your weapons instead of splitting shots over al ong period of time. UAC10s used to have poo poo all for ghost heat so you could just blat people in the face, but now you do the split so you can fire, jam all your guns like a dumbass, and then duck back around a hill to let them unjam after doing egregious amounts of damage. Going 4UAC10s doubles or triples your exposure time, which is something you don't want.

Also just use the clan XL400 or XL380. There is no good reason to run a standard on a clan mech with the exception of really, really dumb gimmick builds that are terrible and funny.

I completely forgot XL engines weren't as vulnerable on clan mechs, fixed. Also the cost on smurfy dropped ~3mil cbills but it looks like the cost of XL engines is bugged on there at the moment and won't actually be that cheap.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Numinous posted:

Sitting on a bunch of MC from a ways back... any recommendations for a mastery pack?

You have the greatest mechs in the game just quit while your ahead.

Note: This is a personal opinion and does not reflect the views of the greater goon MW:O community.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Manyorcas posted:

I completely forgot XL engines weren't as vulnerable on clan mechs, fixed. Also the cost on smurfy dropped ~3mil cbills but it looks like the cost of XL engines is bugged on there at the moment and won't actually be that cheap.

If you buy a kodiak it will come with an xl400. IIRC an xl380 with more ammo is the optimal loadout for the KDK3, but I barely ever play them.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

aniviron posted:

JM6 DD with 4 MGs, 2 ML and 2LBX 10 is fantastic at vulturing the poo poo out of de-armoured assaults. Shout METALSTORM and hold down all your guns until you explode or they do.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Numinous posted:

The thunderbolt masterypack is quite good value, all 3 mechs you get are good.
TOP DOG
TOP DOG
TDR-9SE
TDR-5SS
TDR-5SS

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Remember when you guys would always give me poo poo for piloting a Locust before quirks was a thing? WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW? Cus it's not me because I'm not a unique snowflake Locust pilot anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

The Repo Man posted:

I'm using the stand alone, and thanks for the info. I don't understand any of that since my technical skills are akin to a monkey smashing a keyboard, but it should help me direct searches on how to get MWO to actually work. It's been fine for the couple years I've been playing, and this just came out of no where.

C de Monte Cristo is out of the game, it seems. I've tried every suggestion I can find, but nothing works. Steam client doesn't work, standalone doesn't work, messing with various router settings don't work, firewalls all have exceptions for MWO. The issue started the day of the Easter event, and that's all I really know about it. Tech support hasn't gotten back to me, but I doubt they'll give me new info since I've told them everything I've tried. All well. I'll try again after the next patch and see if that resolves it somehow.

• Locked thread