Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Being the first major all digital movie had its drawbacks and there was undoubtedly a learning curve for Lucas as there was for just about every filmmaker who made the switch. There is a "flatness" to some shots and superimpositions that wasn't there in TPM and was mostly solved in ROTS, but there are also some shots that are really gorgeous. Relevant to the discussion of the Jedi and their flashy glow sticks, the sabers and laser beams are really used to good effect in the climactic battle- Geonosis is all Earth tones against a brownish sky but you have these brilliant neon lights against it.

Also regarding that shot, the whole climax of the film is about demystifying the Jedi. In TPM they're still something weird and special- when one gets killed it's a Big Moment, and what we see of their discussions is still a little obtuse. ("Too old?" He's just a kid! Unless- do they train Jedi from the crib? Hmm...) For all the fuss about midichlorians there's still a heavy mystical vibe.

AotC is practically a deconstruction. We see the workings of the Jedi Council laid bare and it's not pretty- they're stubborn, old fashioned (Obi Wan's code for them is literally "the old folks' home,") and swept up by larger forces in the galaxy.

And killing the Jedi? A bunch of 'em die completely without ceremony in that arena. For the very first time in the whole series we see one taken down by somebody with no magic Force powers whatsoever. The onset of war reveals that they're as human as everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Let's see some gorgeous shots from AoTC.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

http://i.imgur.com/x2Mbsu5.gifv

Click for hi-res versions!!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel like some people in here will never acknowledge that any shot that has something noticeably artificial in it can look good because they're so invested in the idea that CGI murdered the prequels.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like Watto's hat and the jaunty angle at which he wears it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Watto is probably one of the best Star Wars characters.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Attack of the Clones came out the same year as the Two Towers and in comparison to that movie it's barely passable for special effects. Or anything at all for that matter.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 21, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
EYYYYYY WATTO

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Attack of the Clones came out the same year as the Two Towers and in comparison to that movie it's barely passable for special effects. Or anything at all for that matter.

It doesn't take much searching to find people complaining about the :circlefap: The Great CGI Satan :circlefap: in The Two Towers, telling anyone who will listen how that terrible, terrible Peter Jackson's CGI fetish took them out of the movie and Gollum looks so unrealistic and this one scene or that one really blahblahblah.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homullus posted:

It doesn't take much searching to find people complaining about the :circlefap: The Great CGI Satan :circlefap: in The Two Towers, telling anyone who will listen how that terrible, terrible Peter Jackson's CGI fetish took them out of the movie and Gollum looks so unrealistic and this one scene or that one really blahblahblah.

I didn't realize people thought Gollum looked bad. On the blu-ray editions you can see the green screen, but the whole movie still looks amazing and beautiful. The cinematography, acting, production values are all fantastic. Both Attack of the Clones and The Two Towers are high budget blockbuster movies, but the Two Towers didnt squander its gigantic budget and had some truly talented people working on it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I've never heard anyone bitch about Gollum. He's an immensely iconic figure from the series and is still the most remembered iteration of that character.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vintersorg posted:

Let's see some gorgeous shots from AoTC.

A handful of my favorites, from earlier in the thread.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Yaws posted:

Perhaps Lucas told Lee to act like a petulant child. Given the dialogue it wouldn't surprise me

I've become more powerful than you Yoda! :flipoff: Now let's have a cool lightsaber battle!

All these characters talk like they're concussed or something.

Lee is transparently all bluster, as evidenced by his limp dick shaped lightsaber.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A handful of my favorites, from earlier in the thread.

The thing about Lucas is that he went out of his way to give the original six Star Wars films a classic, Golden Age of Hollywood style--that is to say, a lot of static medium shots, a large depth of field, and relatively restrained camera motions. Unfortunately, that kind of style is seen as anachronistic if not just plain boring nowadays. It's ironic that Lucas has nonetheless been partially blamed for the rise of the style made most famous by people like Michael Bay and J.J. Abrams, which in many ways is the exact opposite of that used by Lucas on the Star Wars films.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 21, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
My own selection of Good Shots from Ep. II (in addition to those above):

This of course is the shot where Anakin and Obi-Wan fly into the opening of Blade Runner. I feel like Lucas was extra-generous with the sci-fi homages in this installment, but there's also an element here where we see the ugly side of Coruscant. In Ep. I it's still this magic city on a hill, the corruption is subtle- in this film we see there are ugly industrial parks and bad neighborhoods and so on.

Further evidenced here with this fun brief angle of a gaudy advertisement with wild pink/green color contrast. It's positively vaporwave!

I really like the curve here, and it plays up the contrast of colors, which is also of course pointing out corruption- the blood red (or is it royal burgundy?) of the Chancellor and his favorite pawn, against the pretty but faint blue of Coruscant by day.

This is just neat. Putting a familiar visual element in a new context with some good lighting from below- it conveys that this is the planet where the purported Bad Guys are, but something's wrong. Something's different.

This nice little vista is just good atmosphere- remote, forbidding, but still fantastical.

Very good light and color contrast, and curiously enough draws our eye not to Anakin or even the Jawa he's talking to, but the little civilization in the background. It's a nice "let's note the larger world this is taking place in" touch that can really help a sci-fi/fantasy movie, the sense that it's a lived-in world that extends beyond the characters, and it highlights Anakin's growing isolation.

Jumping way ahead this is a cool framing of a monster doing a little Harryhausen-esque movement before its (final) charge. Throughout this battle you do have the lasers and sabers contrasting against the earth tones of the arena. Also worth noting throughout, the droids are firing red lasers while the Jedi have green and blue swords- old SW grammar, but it helps keep the scenes legible.

Just in case anyone plays the "what's everyone doing in the background" game, you can see the remaining battle droids are all engaged with the Jedi in shot.

Again, earthy backgrounds disrupted/highlighted by flashes of brilliant neon colors (I particularly like that flash of green on the right). More importantly look at this droid. This isn't just retro 50s or even 30s, if you took away a leg it could be one of the tripods from War of the Worlds.

And I know we've looked at this before but it's still really cool. This sequence of clones and droids battling in a cloud of dust, the two becoming harder and harder to tell apart, the red and blue blaster bolts making purple light.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I might be misremembering, since it's been a while, but isn't that last shot either immediately before or after a scene with Mace Windu, noted purple lightsaber wielder?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

ungulateman posted:

I might be misremembering, since it's been a while, but isn't that last shot either immediately before or after a scene with Mace Windu, noted purple lightsaber wielder?

Judging from the site I got those from, doesn't look like it. But his increased prominence in this film and these scenes is notable overall.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mace Windu does not show up during those shots. I believe that is a separate scene from the Arena Battle. Complete with weird snap zooms, completely out of visual character. Like that awesome Spielberg homage in Episode III. It's a shame Lucas didn't try to change the visual styles with each films. It would've been neat to see him try a different look. (Besides just changing cameras/more green screen work)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Mace Windu does not show up during those shots. I believe that is a separate scene from the Arena Battle. Complete with weird snap zooms, completely out of visual character. Like that awesome Spielberg homage in Episode III. It's a shame Lucas didn't try to change the visual styles with each films. It would've been neat to see him try a different look. (Besides just changing cameras/more green screen work)

The Geonosis battle was "shot" in an interesting way. Once Lucas had approved the designs for the characters and vehicles and so on, he had the previz team cook up a bunch of animatic sequences of droids fighting clones on their own. He then went through and picked the stuff he liked and had them fully render it. So it's basically all second-unit footage.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The tied down break bulk luggage was a nice touch and ties in nicely with dexters diner.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I like the C3PO shot. Looks very 70's.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

oh, we're posting good shots from Attack of The Clones?

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
here's a neat shot

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
movie-fight proposal: Pixar vs. Lucasfilm?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Everything and everything about the prequels is trash for babies and if you disagree you are literally mentally handicapped

and have bad taste

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My favorite scene of AOTC was definitely the end credits.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Everything and everything about the prequels is trash for babies and if you disagree you are literally mentally handicapped

and have bad taste

Star Wars is for babies. All of it. It was made by one who had babies of all ages in mind when he did it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phi230 posted:

and have bad taste

Well duh; it's been thoroughly established that Star Wars fans are not actually mad at the prequel films, but at their fantasizes of children and the mentally ill.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well duh; it's been thoroughly established that Star Wars fans are not actually mad at the prequel films, but at their fantasizes of children and the mentally ill.

What regarding children exactly do you think "Star Wars fans" are fantasizing about?

quote:

Star Wars is for babies. All of it. It was made by one who had babies of all ages in mind when he did it.

Please cover your precious babies' eyes when the scene with the skin burning off the limbless man plays.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 21, 2016

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

and have bad taste

"Everything and everything"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Terry Grunthouse posted:

here's a neat shot

No ring

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Please cover your precious babies' eyes when the scene with the skin burning off the limbless man plays.

I said babies of all ages. The graphic violence is for the manbabies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

What regarding children exactly do you think "Star Wars fans" are fantasizing about?

At the top of the previous page, poster Yaws - apropos nothing - likens the late Christopher Lee to a brain-damaged child.

Fantasies of childhood are everything to Star Wars fans. The most hated characters in the prequels are children or child-like. "George Lucas raped my childhood". You yourself imagine the films could harm children. Children are fantasized as 'untouchable' in the dual sense of innocent and subhuman.

In a related way, Star Wars is consistently characterized as a degenerate art because of its 'unreality'. "It looks like a videogame." "They don't talk like normal people talk.", etc. The fans' implicit assertion is that they are mature, realistic, and normal.

I suspect Phi is joking, but he aptly summarizes the fandom's extremely conflicted feelings towards childhood, and extreme anxiety around concepts of maturity and adulthood.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 21, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
SuperMechaGodzilla what is your origin story?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PBS Newshour posted:

something something chatbot designed only to post truthfully

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edit, nevermind.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basebf555 posted:

I said babies of all ages. The graphic violence is for the manbabies.

I know, but there are little babies and big babies. :v:

quote:

You yourself imagine the films could harm children.

I'm sorry, you must be confused. I was making light, and also, I'm not a Star Wars fan. I do not think movies can physically harm children, SMG, but scary sequences can upset babies.

quote:

In a related way, Star Wars is consistently characterized as a degenerate art because of its 'unreality'. "It looks like a videogame." "They don't talk like normal people talk.", etc.

Actually, I only hear that about a portion of Star Wars.

quote:

The Japanese invented him to fight Godzilla. When I looked this up to see if that was actually true since I've never watched a Godzilla with a SMG in it, I found out someone's got a blogspot dedicated to reposting SMG's posts. And a twitter.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My main complaint for the dialogue in the PT has to do with how there's so many justifications for why X character lacks passion, is emotionless, talks awkwardly, or speaks in an absurd stereotypical accent. It feels like there's no real "normal" acting figure to establish that no, this isn't poor direction.

E:

RBA Starblade posted:

The Japanese invented him to fight Godzilla. When I looked this up to see if that was actually true since I've never watched a Godzilla with a SMG in it, I found out someone's got a blogspot dedicated to reposting SMG's posts. And a twitter.

IIRC there's a private wikispace where he/someone else records and categorizes his posts. I only know this because someone else linked and talked about it in a GBS thread.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 21, 2016

• Locked thread