Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

https://twitter.com/ObsoleteDogma/status/735144686000713729/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I remember Elijah Cummings's request, but from what I understand that is not a subpoena.

evilweasel posted:

He asked for them but only Republicans have subpoena power. Chaffetz might have but I don't think so.

Ah I see. Guess that won't have gone anywhere then.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I lean towards this, but there's a lot of evidence both that past presidents have continued to record the oval office and that trump personally was a fan of secretly recording people

Yeah, conventional wisdom says he's completely bluffing, but I don't think he is for the reasons you mentioned.

I think it's most likely that the tapes exist but they're too damning to admit that they do outright. Not that Trump is a brilliant tactician or anything, but if he keeps this up over the next couple months, reporters will eventually get fatigued, assume they don't exist, and stop asking about them.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, that's what I heard, but I don't know the details. Who set it up for Nixon? It must have been the FBI or a similar government agency. Right?

The USSS did it.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The beauty of the whole "do the tapes exist" argument is Trump only needs to say one word to make it go away "No". His own staff honestly does not know if they exist. If they do he's hosed. If they don't? He gets caught in a lie. Win/win for us, lose/lose for him.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

ekeog posted:

Option three is that they're actually stupid enough to try to release partial tapes or in some way destroy evidence. I don't think we can rule it out at this point considering how colossally bad their legal strategy has been.

Isn't that one of the items on the Nixon Speedrun checklist?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Ah I see. Guess that won't have gone anywhere then.

Right, but like I said earlier, with Nixon it was subpoenaed by the special prosecutor.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If the tapes exist why the gently caress would he not just destroy them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Renaissance Spam posted:

Isn't that one of the items on the Nixon Speedrun checklist?

Yes, right up there with wall-jumping to get the super missile.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Yeah I'm gonna need a better source on this

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like if no one legit knows burn those motherfuckers.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

cochise posted:

Didn't Nixon have the recording equipment in his desk?

Yes.

The practice of recording white house meetings is very common and goes back to at least FDR, and possibly earlier, was continued by JFK, LBJ, and Nixon, and has been presumably continued by at least some modern presidents. In theory there's nothing wrong with it; it's allowable under DC law, most potentially embarrassing but not actually illegal admissions would be covered under executive privilege anyway, and it is very useful for writing accurate memoirs (and keeping political opponents from writing innacurate ones!).

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 9, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Waffles Inc. posted:

jesus christ even his lawyers double down when they're caught in a lie

a lawyer taught trump the tactic

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Maybe he's being cagey on the tapes' existence because they did exist and he's already destroyed/deleted them.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
My feeling on the tape is that trump thinks comey saying "you are not currently under investigation" wins him the whole thing, and he doesn't realize other stuff he says is incriminating

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

angel opportunity posted:

My feeling on the tape is that trump thinks comey saying "you are not currently under investigation" wins him the whole thing, and he doesn't realize other stuff he says is incriminating

It's almost certainly this.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

Maybe he's being cagey on the tapes' existence because they did exist and he's already destroyed/deleted them.

If thats the case you lie and the answer is a no. And then you fight on that lie til its over.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Stop posting Seth Abramson.

quote:

“The burden is now on the President to come forth definitively and say what happened,” Reed said on CNN.

CNN’s Wolf Blitzer asked if Reed was saying Trump should make a statement under oath.

“I think that’s ultimately what will happen,” Reed said. "Certainly, at some point, that should happen."

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

Highly probable. Same goes for when any documentation gets subpoenaed.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/873260019793506305

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
In this fast-paced thread, this is way out of date, but God drat - NUKE OHIO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCf3mPUgsac

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, at least if he lied about the tapes and he's being all cagey about it, and they don't exist, we get to accuse him of destruction of evidence along with obstruction of justice.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Dave Weigel is a pro follow

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/873263604375707649
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/873262783768481792

:allears:

A reminder that at today's event at the Rose Garden, the NYT was specifically reserved a seat in the very very back row.

lol, the entire senior leadership team of the FBI knew about the contents of those memos.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/873230732080099328

This is probably the most annoying thing about the hearing from yesterday. "Gee, how on Earth will we ever know why Trump fired Comey :smith: "

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mister Mind posted:

In this fast-paced thread, this is way out of date, but God drat - NUKE OHIO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCf3mPUgsac

A cool thing is that not all of those people will be alive in 3.5 years.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
This whole 5/6 month time span has just been guessing how stupid everyone in government is, then hoping to god your right. Cause if anyone up in Washington was even half-way competant, the working man would be hosed.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/873263604375707649
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/873262783768481792

:allears:

A reminder that at today's event at the Rose Garden, the NYT was specifically reserved a seat in the very very back row.

How do these people lie so god drat much without getting any better at it?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

androo posted:

Dave Weigel is a pro follow

Just about anyone from Journolist is a pro follow.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/873230732080099328

This is probably the most annoying thing about the hearing from yesterday. "Gee, how on Earth will we ever know why Trump fired Comey :smith: "

"No see Trump fired Comey because he did a bad job on investigating Russia and Trump is hiring someone to do it better, how can that be obstruction?"
-Republicans in the near future.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
My brain might be entirely broken but I just rewatched the questions and it almost kinda seems like trump thinks he is being asked "would you put comey under oath to make him pledge loyalty" when he agrees to the reporter saying "under oath"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Trabisnikof posted:

"No see Trump fired Comey because he did a bad job on investigating Russia and Trump is hiring someone to do it better, how can that be obstruction?"
-Republicans in the near future.

They discount the Holt interview because 'Hey he's under suspicion for FLYNN, not RUSSIA so it's fine that he said he wanted to get rid of the Russia investigation that wasn't targeting him personally *yet*!'

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lying isnt that loving hard.

The only thing it requires is consistency and knowledge of what can sink your lie.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/873271121361162240

although this is a request, those requests are usually followed up with a subpoena if not complied with, and since the republican is on board you can issue a subpoena

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/cam_joseph/status/873271235421102084

EDIT: drat you :argh:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

My guess is that Trump doesn't think there ARE tapes, but Bannon had recording devices installed in the red Diet Coke button.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

My brain might be entirely broken but I just rewatched the questions and it almost kinda seems like trump thinks he is being asked "would you put comey under oath to make him pledge loyalty" when he agrees to the reporter saying "under oath"

I'm fairly sure by this time tomorrow 'I would be 100% willing to testify under oath' will have become 'I didn't understand the question'.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Dexo posted:

Lying isnt that loving hard.

The only thing it requires is consistency and knowledge of what can sink your lie.

or have enough clout (real or perceived) and no one will give a gently caress what you say

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

evilweasel posted:

although this is a request, those requests are usually followed up with a subpoena if not complied with, and since the republican is on board you can issue a subpoena

At the risk of nihilism, it seems like a lot of people are just flat-out ignoring things like that. First Flynn, then the two guys Wednesday who refused to answer the oversight committee's questions. Seems likely that Trump would File 13 any such subpoena that hit his desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wouldn't put it past Trump Co. to scramble to forge recordings, if none were made at the time.

• Locked thread