Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

VideoGames posted:

I will definitely pay full price for Elden Ring because I would love to join everyone at the same time for new from stuff.

Loving Dark Souls 2 also :). And will change the thread title. There have been two amazing ones in the last few days.

If you get Elden Ring at launch I'll break my "not get games at launch anymore" rule (well, I broke it on 2020 with Streets of Rage 4 anyways) and get a goon crew together on stream :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m asking politely and respectfully, not as a snooty question but a genuine one:
Is the $40 you saved waiting for the game to go on sale worth the 2 years you spent not playing? Is there a breakpoint at which the time spent waiting for a thrifty purchase is offset by the waiting?

Maybe it’s an age thing, I dunno, when I was in my early 20s, working every night and going to class every day, $20-$40 was the difference between paying my light bill or not, so I just pirated everything because it was that or just... not play video games in college (lmao). My Buddy Kevin was like you, he played every major AAA video game... approximately 12 months after release for $20 on steam sale, but he also wasn’t online and games weren’t a social practice for him the way I think they are for me. It’s very likely I’d be more like you and Kevin if I weren’t on SA and didn’t want to experience *the discourse*

But now, in my 30s... $40 is like a couple hours at work, and a video game is potentially weeks of fun and relaxation and getting to talk to you guys about it and playing it together... I dunno, I personally don’t think waiting on a forever sale is worth missing out on all that... ESPECIALLY if the money has just been sitting in the bank the whole time doing nothing.

I think about this sort of thing all the time. I'll wait to grab a lot of games til they pop up on sale but usually it's only saving $15-30 and that's like the cost a takeout dinner and I don't ever bother with coupons when buying food. The cost to enjoyment ratio for video games is huge even if paying full price on day one but I still find myself checking the deals thread here and seeing what Wario64 has tweeted every day.

I've also found that even if I've been anticipating a game for months (like Sekiro), often times I won't even play it right away when I eventually buy it. I definitely think I waste a lot of my own time waiting for deals and end up sometimes buying a "good deal" on a game that I'm less interested in.

I'll sit there thinking, "should I buy New Super Mario Deluxe for $40 right now" when I know I'll have way more fun grabbing Hitman 3 for another $20. I'm a thrifty minded doofus is what I'm saying.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Guillermus posted:

If you get Elden Ring at launch I'll break my "not get games at launch anymore" rule (well, I broke it on 2020 with Streets of Rage 4 anyways) and get a goon crew together on stream :buddy:

Wow this would rule. Tarkus and Priapism, TOGETHER AGAIN

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
From has not yet become a bad gaming company but it is inevitable. Eventually they will release a game with microtransactions or it will have a CP2077 launch or just not be good at all and false advertising like FO76. Something like that. Hopefully it won't start with Elden Ring.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

They are quite strong actually. Not rock-skinned like in 2-1, but then they have no magic weakness either and aren't slow as gently caress like the workers in 2-1 either.

And they're way stronger than the enemies in 3-1.

the big guys, maybe, yeah. the little guys are way less of a pain to deal with than the mindflayers though and never took many hits from the halberd to take down. and they also don't stun and grab you.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

From has not yet become a bad gaming company but it is inevitable. Eventually they will release a game with microtransactions or it will have a CP2077 launch or just not be good at all and false advertising like FO76. Something like that. Hopefully it won't start with Elden Ring.

Bloodborne 2 will be a F2P MMO

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
From Software has been around for 40 years - it was founded in 1986. If they haven't chosen to sell out to that degree yet, I think they're probably to stick with their current practices for the foreseeable future.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
gently caress it, I'm paying full price for P5 Strikers

Yolo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX0JCVgfAYU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdjnLVlBy2w

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that track is so good, even after you've heard it for the 20th time because you're stuck on the map

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Simone Magus posted:

Yolo

*ryuji voice* for real!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSzN-YACU1k

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
It is weird how we quantify what constitutes "money well spent". I went to a drag show last night and tipped the bartender $20 and tipped one of the drag queens $40

I guess I'm okay with literally giving money to individuals that I want to have a better night, but spending it on myself seems "wasteful"

I blame my Irish Catholic upbringing. :(

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

Yolo

it's a good game and I don't regret it one bit

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Bloodborne 2 will be a F2P MMO

Grant us eyes...1 for $2.99, or 100 for $49.99 (Best value)...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Grant us eyes...1 for $2.99, or 100 for $49.99 (Best value)...

lol

boz
Oct 16, 2005

boop the snoot posted:

I think maybe their worst launch was Dark Souls on PC that had to be fixed by a mod.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

boz posted:

I think maybe their worst launch was Dark Souls on PC that had to be fixed by a mod.
In all fairness, they warned people up-front that they had no experience with developing for PCs and that they were only considering porting the game at all due to massive popular fan demand. All things considered, it's frankly impressive that it turned out well enough that the issues could be fixed by a quick-and-dirty day zero (I think) DLL mod at all.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

so long Tourist Head Popping Enthusiast Club :sadwave:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:rip:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I’m playing Mortal Shell and I have no idea what’s going on. All these items give me stuff when I execute a parry, which I can’t even do yet. I got my sword up to +1 but there are like 2 bosses I can fight right now or all these giant knights with shields that hit like trucks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

bows1 posted:

I’m playing Mortal Shell and I have no idea what’s going on. All these items give me stuff when I execute a parry, which I can’t even do yet. I got my sword up to +1 but there are like 2 bosses I can fight right now or all these giant knights with shields that hit like trucks.
Did you completely explore the tower? Parrying is one of the first things the game gives you, so you must have missed something there. You know you're in the right place when you see some giant creature chained up in a pile of rubble.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I love this game a lot

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Cardiovorax posted:

Did you completely explore the tower? Parrying is one of the first things the game gives you, so you must have missed something there. You know you're in the right place when you see some giant creature chained up in a pile of rubble.

What tower. I’m only in a swampy area I’ve not seen a tower

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

bows1 posted:

What tower. I’m only in a swampy area I’ve not seen a tower
Did you never go that ruined-looking building on the hill that should be visible from where you start after the fish fight? The game really, really wants you to do that and you get a number of important things there.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The game tells you where to go next by way of those weird silent visions showing you a far off place. Once you go to the tower building, there’s some dark shadow bodies laying in there, and glowing apparitions of weapons, each one gives you a vision of landmarks to get to them. Do all of those first. Just getting the bodies snd the weapons will introduce you to ways to get to adjoining worlds. Once you have collected the bodies and the weapons snd grown a big, then go to the other worlds.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

$400-500 every 8 years really isn't that absurd in the grand scheme of things.

Well okay, I just mean more buying it at launch with like, 6 exclusive games to pick up if you're lucky.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've never understood the whole "don't buy at launch" thing. I'll have it when there's 2 new games for it and I'll have it years from now when there's hundreds ideally. Seems worth more to me than waiting a year or two to save like $50 by waiting for a price drop.

Plus I was able to just get rid of my PS4 with PS5 so it was even more of a no brainer.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Idk when you've spent the last however many years saving for important life things you learn to try and extract more value out of the more frivolous pursuits

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

veni veni veni posted:

I've never understood the whole "don't buy at launch" thing.

Which console release was it where the launch version would shoot fire out the back if it got too hot

Anyway that's why

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Or were you talking about buying a ps5 at launch and not just games?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Which console release was it where the launch version would shoot fire out the back if it got too hot

Anyway that's why

This is ridiculous.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
People weren't lying, there really is a secret second half of game after ending B of Nier:A.

Honestly, I liked the fact that 9S can just hack things because it speeds up the 2nd playthrough and I don't see the appeal of having to do all that again as a means to I dunno show the circle of war or whatever that is supposed to do just for some very tiny cutscenes and 1 hour of actually different content at the end of 9s' run.

I really want to see where this is going but if I hadn't heard there was this entire second half I might have just given up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Anyway that's why

Some console you had in a dream maybe?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

Anyway that's why

The Sega Firestarter. Prodigy worked on the musical advertisement.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

VideoGames posted:

The Sega Firestarter. Prodigy worked on the musical advertisement.

lol

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I bought destiny 2 at launch and it opened my third eye and now I can foresee turds before they happen

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

it was like being bitten by a radioactive toilet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MechaSeinfeld posted:

it was like being bitten by a radioactive toilet

is that how you got to be so full of poo poo