Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Man, that color scheme was so much cooler than today's.

MrChips posted:

They should just go back to it and be done with it. After all, if your transports are being shot at because they aren't camouflaged or wearing ~*low visibility markings~~, you done hosed up big time already.

There were FREDs flying around during the same-ish time period with pretty much the opposite paint scheme idea, full blown European 1 camo, not just the low-viz grey they have today. Looked kinda cool actually.

But yeah, KC-10s would look sharp going back to the SAC era white/grey with a blue cheat line scheme that was very similar to the scheme the C-5 has in that picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Algeria Air A320 Mad Dog just lost contact, 110 on board :ohdear:

....Really not a good year to be flying. If it's not just a comms error, that's #3 in 7 months?

E: First story I could find that's not just an AP news update. http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/ah-5017-air-algerie-aircraft-missing-over-africa/1/373885.html

E: Don't trust the first thing you read, I guess.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 24, 2014

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Y'know, I'm starting to think CNN might be up to some shenanigans for the ratings bumps. I mean... come on. :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Duke Chin posted:

Y'know, I'm starting to think CNN might be up to some shenanigans for the ratings bumps. I mean... come on. :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Gotta prove the black hole theory.

Sounds like a turboprop in hyperdrive. I can understand now why you wouldn't want to fly those things. Too many people running off the road from lack of oxygen to the brain. :flashfap:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
One problem that is immediately obvious to me with propfans is that they don't have a cage containing the blades like normal turbofans do. So if something blows up those fan blades are going straight into the aircraft with nothing to stop them. I guess you could add armor to the plane in the area that they rotate?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

revmoo posted:

One problem that is immediately obvious to me with propfans is that they don't have a cage containing the blades like normal turbofans do. So if something blows up those fan blades are going straight into the aircraft with nothing to stop them. I guess you could add armor to the plane in the area that they rotate?

Turbofans actually still have problems with un contained engine failures, just something to think about when you get the last seat on a maddog.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

hobbesmaster posted:

Turbofans actually still have problems with un contained engine failures, just something to think about when you get the last seat on a maddog.

How so? I know that it's a requirement to pass certification that they blow these engines up and confirm that they are contained properly.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

revmoo posted:

How so? I know that it's a requirement to pass certification that they blow these engines up and confirm that they are contained properly.

Been a while so I'm probably missing a few details; to pass cert you must prove you can contain a failure of one or two blades. If you lose something along the lines of 5~10 or more, there's going to be shrapnel in the fuselage.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Naturally Selected posted:

Algeria Air A320 just lost contact, 110 on board :ohdear:

Confirmed to have crashed, no info on any casualties yet. It was a mad dog, not an A320.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Yeah, they only get tested to contain a few fan blades breaking off. Turbine disk failures are basically uncontainable; fortunately, they are rare.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

revmoo posted:

Turboprops are armored in the prop arcs, just for this possibility.

No they aren't. :pseudo:

Incident on a Fokker Friendship.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's interesting. You'd think if one blade breaks off it's taking the rest with it.

Ok well, back to be terrified of flying again.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MrYenko posted:

No they aren't. :pseudo:

Incident on a Fokker Friendship.

I like that the fuselage is painted with "Danger Propeller" with an arrow pointing to the gaping hole the propeller made in the fuselage.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

MrYenko posted:

Actually lots of prop driven planes ARE armored in the prop arcs, but for resistance to ice slung off the props in icing conditions, not for the loss of a blade.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yeah if you lose a prop blade, or hell even a large part of a prop blade, the rest of the prop is going to make a break for freedom, along with the engine and probably most of the engine nacelle as well.

E: That's actually a scenario where you hope things break real bad and the prop/gearbox separate instantaneously and don't cause any additional structural failures.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 24, 2014

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, Gander International Airport has been getting a little attention lately, since they've allocated the money to build a new terminal. The current one was built in the 1960s, when, ah, there was a lot more traffic stopping in to refuel. Anyway, the departure lounge for international flights hasn't changed since it was built, making it a kind of period piece for air travel in the 1960s, and is the bit worth saving. This huffingtonpost article has some nice photos.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I wish they'd show what it actually looked like instead of all that HDR pastel-colored poo poo

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

There were FREDs flying around during the same-ish time period with pretty much the opposite paint scheme idea, full blown European 1 camo, not just the low-viz grey they have today. Looked kinda cool actually.

But yeah, KC-10s would look sharp going back to the SAC era white/grey with a blue cheat line scheme that was very similar to the scheme the C-5 has in that picture.

The greatest tragedy in the Great Repaint of the 1990s is without question the A-10.

VS

gently caress YOU, GRAY PAINT

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, Gander International Airport has been getting a little attention lately, since they've allocated the money to build a new terminal. The current one was built in the 1960s, when, ah, there was a lot more traffic stopping in to refuel. Anyway, the departure lounge for international flights hasn't changed since it was built, making it a kind of period piece for air travel in the 1960s, and is the bit worth saving. This huffingtonpost article has some nice photos.

I remember reading an article about that in I think Wallpaper Magazine a few years back. It's a time capsule of 60's jet-set design, and still mostly pristine because of the lack of use but regular care. I hope they don't knock it down. Just glass it off and build the new terminal next to it looking in.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

The greatest tragedy in the Great Repaint of the 1990s is without question the A-10.

VS

I dunno. I think the light grey looks pretty sweet. Especially with the jet all dirtied up. Basically an A-10 oughta be a filthy looking animal.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

The Proc posted:

I wish they'd show what it actually looked like instead of all that HDR pastel-colored poo poo

Haha what?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think he's saying they retouched the photos because the colors are SERIOUSLY loving VIBRANT.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

The Proc posted:

No kidding. Thought I was having an acid flashback or something. The old smith terminal in Detroit was sort of like that too. Built in the 60's and then never updated but without the care and attention this place has gotten.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

MrChips posted:

That's actually a scenario where you hope things break real bad and the prop/gearbox separate instantaneously and don't cause any additional structural failures.

On a related note...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl5TIR1_ciQ

Looks to be footage of an airshow in the mid 80's. A Cap-21 experiences an engine failure during an aerobatic routine.

The failure? Prop detached. :stare:

While in a flatspin. :stonk:

Skip to around 5:35.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Seen it before but that is some crazy poo poo. His recovery is also top notch airmanship. He comes in way too fast on the approach but has no other choice but to put it down. Traildragger at that!

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I wonder what the Aresti symbol is for "complete the rest of the figure as a glider".

I propose a heart-attack image

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Godholio posted:

I think he's saying they retouched the photos because the colors are SERIOUSLY loving VIBRANT.

Yeah, the bottom three are without the LSD filter.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Godholio posted:

Nope.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The 'hog teeth are an inferior attempt to copy the shark teeth which are only authorized for the 23rd Fighter Group, the unit that absorbed the Flying Tigers.

Honest to god, I can't believe the AF still lets it go.

Edit: Another paint scheme option:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 24, 2014

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

revmoo posted:

Seen it before but that is some crazy poo poo. His recovery is also top notch airmanship. He comes in way too fast on the approach but has no other choice but to put it down. Traildragger at that!

He managed to line up with the runway, touch down and taxi off. I wonder if it was one of those situations that you are beyond scared and don't feel the fear until its over. Crazy good flying.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

buttcrackmenace posted:

On a related note...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl5TIR1_ciQ

Looks to be footage of an airshow in the mid 80's. A Cap-21 experiences an engine failure during an aerobatic routine.

The failure? Prop detached. :stare:

While in a flatspin. :stonk:

Skip to around 5:35.

Have you guys ever seen Kung Pow: Enter the Fist? If you have then you're aware of the part where Master Betty proclaims that he is a powerful magician for the rest of that scene...?

All I could think of during that flat spin is "You're now a glider!" :stare:

That was a drat good recovery after it went all tits :golfclap:

Godholio posted:

Edit: Another paint scheme option:

Oh man, I used to have the honest-to-god original run (when it was still dark blue) of the Rattler and the Sky Stryker back when I was a kid. I kinda wish I had kept it. :sigh: Maybe that's why I have always had/still have such a boner for the A-10 in my old man years?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Been a while so I'm probably missing a few details; to pass cert you must prove you can contain a failure of one or two blades. If you lose something along the lines of 5~10 or more, there's going to be shrapnel in the fuselage.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_Flight_1288

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Godholio posted:

The 'hog teeth are an inferior attempt to copy the shark teeth which are only authorized for the 23rd Fighter Group, the unit that absorbed the Flying Tigers.

Perhaps, but there used to be an A-10 wing in the Arkansas ANG that also painted their planes that way. They were converted to a Reaper wing recently :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/188th_Fighter_Wing

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That airplane is still in service, it's flown 7 trips today.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

Was just about to post this.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N927DA/history/20140724/2244Z/KLIT/KATL

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Locator posted:

Its a delta DC-9 derivative, it'll be in service until 2100.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

What the heck is the star of David doing under the lower wing?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I was wondering that myself..

Either :tinfoil: or as it's against the boundary of an aerodrome, maybe it's something for wind or navigation? Or points to the nearest buried Nazi gold?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Just guessing, but probably a radio antenna setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Nebakenezzer posted:

What the heck is the star of David doing under the lower wing?

Might be an old, like world war I old, offsite landing field. Landing untrained pilots in taildraggers means you want to have a lot of tarmac and a lot of options to avoid crosswinds. There is one on final to PNS that they still use as a helicopter OLF. 8 pointed star, looks like a landing site for Space Jews.

http://goo.gl/maps/3ABgm