Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Well of course, they were up for adoption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strikereternal
Nov 27, 2006
I don't even know what the smeg is going on now :tali:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Why can't dude just turn left and Kool-Aid through two squares of building instead of one?

PTN, how would the Piloting rolls look on that? What would be the difference if he ran vs. walked?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

TildeATH posted:

Why can't dude just turn left and Kool-Aid through two squares of building instead of 1?

PTN, how would the Piloting rolls look on that? What would be the difference if he ran vs. walked?

Hardened buildings are hard to walk through, sadly.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

GenericOverusedName posted:

Hardened buildings are hard to walk through, sadly.

Got some numbers to quantify that with?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Keru posted:

Well of course, they were up for adoption.

Who wants to adopt some ugly puppies? Ugly puppies are only good for solahma.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

TildeATH posted:

Posting the raw numbers goes sort of against the rules of the thread because they aren't available in the free intro books. Suffice it to say it's not a good idea to wade through hardened buildings unless you really had to.

VVV

Oh hey they're on sarna. There's other rules that are important (e.g. taking damage) that aren't in that table but you can get the jist of it.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 15, 2012

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

TildeATH posted:

+4 MP cost, +5 PSR. There is also some stuff about taking damage from a HD building, but I can't find the specific numbers (they're probably not freely available) so I'll leave one of the more experienced players to elaborate.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
a +4 PSR and takes up 5 hexes of movement just to get in.

Edit: and :stare: at the stuff that's happened between me turning off my phone and getting home.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 15, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

TildeATH posted:

It's +4 MP to move through, and +5 to the target number for PSRs to avoid damage, I think. So it would be 5 MP per hex and 7s on the PSRs.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

SolusLunes posted:

Who wants to adopt some ugly puppies? Ugly puppies are only good for solahma.

Look at those monstrous things!

What my next turn is going to be like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAsSyDAWR8

Keru fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 15, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Keru posted:

We tried walking through one, but it was just a Puppy Pawper adoption for homeless puppies!

No orphans. :(

You were still on the right train of thought. If this were Liao space, you'd have denied an enemy one of their food stockpiles by taking out that dog shetler.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Zaodai posted:

You were still on the right train of thought. If this were Liao space, you'd have denied an enemy one of their food stockpiles by taking out that dog shetler.

Can we not have casual racist stereotypes in the thread pleasE?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bunnyofdoom posted:

That means not playing Battletech.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
It kind of fits, and it was almost funny.

As for SD... Xanax, man. Xanax. You're not a horrible poster or anything, and I've had no problems with any of your moves or ideas, none sounded stupid. That being said, this is the internet. People are going to poo poo all over you, it's expected and you ought to take it in stride. You're getting very butthurt over what amounts to normal internet flak.

I will now return to lurking.

Spencerb
Apr 16, 2005
Yeah, SD. There's still a blaze of glory for you to go down in! A couple of lucky dice rolls and you guys are still in it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

bunnyofdoom posted:

But... their entire culture actually is a gigantic racist stereotype. :confused: That's the role the Cappellans fill in the universe. Crazy, cartoonishly evil chinese stereotypes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I leave the thread for a day and things got real interesting real fast. T'was an, er, enlightening Panic Room there y'all. My condolences for all parties involved.

Welp, that's a mighty fast-thinking Jenner. Looks like we got an early frontrunner for OpFor MVP, and with balls like that it's no wonder the 2nd SoL is considered elite even when almost every one of their MechWarriors on the field is technically Regular level. That's some dedication and initiative right there. That said, who's up for a little light bowling?

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

Keru posted:

What my next turn is going to be like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAsSyDAWR8

Sorry bud, but I think it's gonna be more like this.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Trochanter posted:

Sorry bud, but I think it's gonna be more like this.

Either way is going to be funny.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

P5, stay stationary, torso-twist to hit B, put both your AC20s on Rock-N-Roll. Fire everything but your ER Large. You'll probably savage both Yorinaga and the Thug this way, which is a really good thing. Remember to kick the Thug.

P3, move to 1518, walking 5, and put both ERLLs on B, since you'll be at Short. Put your Streak and ERSLs on one of the Lights that you're in short range to, or onto the Thug. P4, run to 1618, put both ERPPCs into Yorinaga, hit S4 with your SPLs and ERSLs.

P2, run back to 1118, backshot S1 with every single Streak you have.

Basically, you want to hurt Yorinaga and the Thug as much as you can, while attempting to clear out some light mechs so P5 can get out of the killbox he's in.

P1, S3's cockblocking you with a 0 movement mod but is a Jenner so weak armor, you have a max-armored 55 tonner which is still off-the-loving-tree cherry, just blast the poo poo out of him. Use an AC/20 shot if you think you need it to make sure S3's dead in one round. Back up 3 hexes to 0521 to put yourself at medium range against him and short for all your weapons, he's going to be shooting at 8s while you're shooting at 2s. 4 MLs won't do that much damage, you are going to need to accept that you have to take some hits to get this done fast, because every single turn you dally your fellow Clanners are dying.

Anyways, here's what needs to be said. Right now you've been ambushed. There are two ways to fight your way out of an ambush. The first is to break contact, regroup outside of enemy range, and counterattack. This is impossible, since P5 is stuck, unless you want to throw him away, which is both a dick move to the player AND a loss of a huge asset in the form of 2 Ultra AC/20s. The second is to turn into the ambush and attack it as hard as you can.

THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO RIGHT NOW IF YOU WANT TO NOT EXPLODE

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 15, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MJ12 posted:

P1, S3's cockblocking you with a 0 movement mod but is a Jenner so weak armor, you have a max-armored 55 tonner which is still off-the-loving-tree cherry, just blast the poo poo out of him. Use an AC/20 shot if you think you need it to make sure S3's dead in one round. Back up 3 hexes to 0521 to put yourself at medium range against him and short for all your weapons, he's going to be shooting at 8s while you're shooting at 2s. 4 MLs won't do that much damage, you are going to need to accept that you have to take some hits to get this done fast, because every single turn you dally your fellow Clanners are dying.
The building soaks damage. It'll be easier to just drop it on the Jenner than it will to actually kill the Jenner inside it.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Coming out from Madden mode for a minute, I'm going to be honest - goonstar really dropped the ball this game. Poor coordination at the beginning and throughout, and you guys really didn't anticipate how a cityfight while outnumbered would go. PTN's playing it really textbook and actually quite predictably. That some of you were surprised by it doesn't mean he pulled anything out of his rear end or was reading your mind, but simply that he knows what he's doing and you didn't take the time to consider where he would move. You guys spread way too much to pick up the Panthers and so forth too, which left you vulnerable to being blocked and bracketed as the Fisher is now.

What should have happened is you all move up in a group, pick off stragglers if they present themselves, and otherwise make it impossible to get isolated or trapped except as a five-man unit. The Fisher and SCrow should have been at the front, with the Gargs in back (for range purposes). Sure, you could get flanked, but since you move last you can always just turn at the end of your movement and then twist to fire behind where you were. PTN would have been forced to engage all of you at once, or stand off and try to direct your movement away from where he wanted. Either way that would have drastically improved your odds of making it to Takashi.

So let's review what you've got and ask: can you pick that ball up again? You're not terribly hurting right now; the head damage on P3 is a big concern though. Furthermore, P5 - probably the best cityfighter you have - is in deep trouble. You probably want to move to draw fire away from P5 and allow him to possibly survive. Where he is now, he's taking a lot of fire on good numbers, and aside from moving through the medium building to the north he doesn't have many options. The Kingfisher also is somewhat vulnerable, moreso than most KFs, due to the massive amount of ammo it carries. So, P3 and P4 need to put themselves somewhere to draw fire. Similarly P1 and P2 should ignore the Jenner and head back to the intersection too.

The ideal is to lose only one mech while taking down both Yorinaga and Akira. If you can do that, you have a good chance of getting past the Otomo. 3 on 4+coordinator would be very difficult, but 4v4+coordinator would be doable. Whatever you do now should be built around creating that eventuality.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:rolldice: Dual Ultra JAM!

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

The building soaks damage. It'll be easier to just drop it on the Jenner than it will to actually kill the Jenner inside it.

How much damage? This is the biggest question. If you can drop the building on the fucker, do so. Even if you have to eat an overheat or use the UAC/20 to do it, P1 should get rid of that cockblocking Jenner as fast as possible. Dropping the building will also open up a flanking avenue. Otherwise...

well, otherwise, I guess you can switch positions with the Hellbringer, go to 1118, and be the backshooter?

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

MJ12 posted:

P3, move to 1518, walking 5, and put both ERLLs on B, since you'll be at Short. Put your Streak and ERSLs on one of the Lights that you're in short range to, or onto the Thug. P4, run to 1618, put both ERPPCs into Yorinaga, hit S4 with your SPLs and ERSLs.

I thought splitting targets incurred some massive to-hit penalty on each? Can you even shoot at more than two in one turn?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

MJ12 posted:

How much damage? This is the biggest question. If you can drop the building on the fucker, do so. Even if you have to eat an overheat or use the UAC/20 to do it, P1 should get rid of that cockblocking Jenner as fast as possible. Dropping the building will also open up a flanking avenue. Otherwise...

well, otherwise, I guess you can switch positions with the Hellbringer, go to 1118, and be the backshooter?

It depends on the CF of the building, it's the building's CF/10 that it soaks. A hardened building means the ER Meds won't even do damage to the Jenner.

Tiny posted:

I thought splitting targets incurred some massive to-hit penalty on each? Can you even shoot at more than two in one turn?

+1s for additional targets. +2 for firing into a rear arc at a secondary target.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MJ12 posted:

CF for that building could be anywhere between 41-90, so yea.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

It is technically possible... but still a bad idea as it involves standing still in a fragile speedster mech and taking a possible 28 damage+ maybe a tac+ a roll vs falling (it will be a 3 but still).

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

bunnyofdoom posted:

What? This is battletech!

Besides there hasn't been close to enough shooting at infrastructure for tactical advantage. It's both satisfying and useful!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Decoy Badger posted:

Ah, I didn't notice. The colours you chose aren't very colourblind-friendly, they both look green-grey to me.

Ah. That'll be amended on future turns, then. I picked the light gray for dead `Mechs because it stands out better then black. I'll have to switch to white.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

MJ12 posted:

To understate things, I think it's more important to save the Kingfisher then kill the Jenner.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Hauki posted:

CF for that building could be anywhere between 41-90, so yea.

Okay, so P1 can switch spots with the Hellbringer, going to 1118. That takes exactly 9 movement, allowing him to hammer S1 at (1 base + 2 ran + 3 enemy jump) = 6. At this point, P1 will probably want to use the UAC/20 on single because you want that Phoenix Hawk down now so P5 can make a breakthrough.

P2 walks forward 2, turns, and methodically puts all 36 SRM-6s and his ERSL into the hardened building hex in which S3 is, then kicks the hex for good measure. You'll autohit, so you're guaranteed 72 points of SRM damage, and another 5 from the ERSL. A kick will also autohit, and do another 13 damage, dealing exactly 90, which should drop the entire building onto the Jenner and eliminate it, as well as setting up a flanking opportunity for P2 next turn and opening up a lane of movement.

cwDeici posted:

I think it's more important to save the Kingfisher then kill the Jenner.

It's going to take all those mechs firing at it for one turn no matter what they do. Opening up another route to move through instead of through that gigantic clusterfuck that is surrounding the Kingfisher is going to help everyone bring their firepower to bear properly on Yorinaga and the Thug, which is going to be necessary if you want to get rid of the most important threats in a fair amount of time. The Kingfisher is a 90 ton, cherry, max-armor assault mech. It is not going to instantly brew up, but most of the enemy mechs are fairly tough (esp. Yorinaga and the Thug). You cannot extricate P5 from his clusterfuck in one turn, especially not if you're setting up a conga line of mechs. Opening up a flanking route and simultaneously killing the Jenner is going to be helpful.

The good thing is that the Thug is at min range for its PPCs, so it's going to be shooting on 7s for those plus anything from shielding movement, and the lights don't have enough firepower to be immediately threatening.

What Goonstar should be planning for is an extrication within two or three turns, not trying to rush in and apply as much firepower as possible right now.

I suggested dual UAC/20s on Rock-and-Roll because you've got very good shots against someone you will have to beat your way through. With no movement mods for you or the enemy, you're autohitting Yorinaga barring any shielding shenanigans.

Again, when you're stuck in like this to survive an ambush you either retreat (impossible), or turn into it and roll them. Right now, this is what Goonstar needs to do. It needs to turn into the ambush and roll everyone.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 15, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

:confused: What's racist about eating dogs?

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'll have to switch to white.

loving dichromats! You know who else only has two color receptors in their retinas? That's right, dogs! Eat the bastards! :argh:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, you could try challenging Yorinaga to a duel. The worst thing he can do is refuse. He's Yorinaga Kurita, he's probably bored right now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Huh. Did we actually end up losing one of the pilots?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, you could try challenging Yorinaga to a duel. The worst thing he can do is refuse. He's Yorinaga Kurita, he's probably bored right now.

If they listed the deeds of their ancestors he'd be forced to accept or lose face.

... oh.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ah. That'll be amended on future turns, then. I picked the light gray for dead `Mechs because it stands out better then black. I'll have to switch to white.

Thanks. I'm also reppin' the colorblind and can't see any difference between the colors for dead and alive on that map.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Shadow Dragon, I'm pretty sure Lowtax could make a mortgage payment with how many times people have bought you an avatar:v:

I'd like to throw my name into the Mechwarrior candidates for if there is any Solaris stuff coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's so beautiful. :allears:

• Locked thread