Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I liked The Pirate's Curse, the story was charming and the platforming was good. The boobs are a thing that is present in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
If you really didn't like Dead Space 1 I'd still highly recommend checking out 2. The game improves in every single aspect. As I recall you move faster (even then there's a run button), the design of the game moves away from monster closets that are obvious since you're not in close corridors or on a ship constantly, the enemies are designed in such a way that they don't just explode outta random things, they'll sneak up/come outta places you didn't expect, the story's better as well.

Dead Space 2 is honestly one of the best horror games of the last 10 years and honestly better than Resident Evil 5 and 6 and, tbh, Revelations 1.

3 sucks rear end though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Man Prompto you couldn't get a picture of any of the party getting run over by a mine cart?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

OldTennisCourt posted:

If you really didn't like Dead Space 1 I'd still highly recommend checking out 2. The game improves in every single aspect. As I recall you move faster (even then there's a run button), the design of the game moves away from monster closets that are obvious since you're not in close corridors or on a ship constantly, the enemies are designed in such a way that they don't just explode outta random things, they'll sneak up/come outta places you didn't expect, the story's better as well.

Dead Space 2 is honestly one of the best horror games of the last 10 years and honestly better than Resident Evil 5 and 6 and, tbh, Revelations 1.

3 sucks rear end though.

also isaac starts cussing up a storm if you mash the stomp button

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Another lovely thing about Civ VI is the news bar thing they have now. It's really awkward to inspect, getting rid of prompts doesn't always work. More than once I've tried to get rid of one of a million messages (because they never, ever go away automatically) and accidentally sent a unit around the world because the game just decided I clicked through the icon instead of on it.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
So I bought xcom 2 during the steam sale, great game plenty to love, except two things, first is the difficulty, I't really seems like the second difficulty setting is harder than it needs to be, and one thing that I hate in all games xcom 2 has plenty of, fighting against the clock.I loving hate a game pitting me against the clock and it seems like 2/3 missions are exactly this, why for the love of god why it makes me rush and do stupid poo poo and I hate it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, I played Pirate's Curse and my assessment was "reasonably solid platformer that I'd be embarrassed to be seen playing".

This isn't just limited to Shantae, go check out Mighty Switch Force also from Wayforward.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FFXV may as well end at Chapter 8, with all the rest being chapters of story missions and no side quests until the end game. They teased me with three continents but it's really just one and a half, maybe two.

On the bright side, all the content for level 50+ (where I'm at) is on the first one, so I can continue the pal around road trip. On the downside, I will need either a shitload of gold or a shitload of patience to get the last set of car paints :(

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tarantula posted:

So I bought xcom 2 during the steam sale, great game plenty to love, except two things, first is the difficulty, I't really seems like the second difficulty setting is harder than it needs to be, and one thing that I hate in all games xcom 2 has plenty of, fighting against the clock.I loving hate a game pitting me against the clock and it seems like 2/3 missions are exactly this, why for the love of god why it makes me rush and do stupid poo poo and I hate it.

I'm also not a great fan of fighting against the clock in games, but I love turn based strategy and I've been eyeing up Xcom 2 on the PS4. Is it a timer that is running on your turns or is it a "You have X turns to do this thing?" because I can deal with the "get to the place within 4 turns" much easier than "you have 60 seconds to do all your planning and scrolling through menus!". The exact moment the final fantasy games lost me was when they switched from turn based gameplay to real time/menu gased hybrid mechanics, because that means I rarely use any ability more than 2 menus deep because I feel under time pressure.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

SiKboy posted:

I'm also not a great fan of fighting against the clock in games, but I love turn based strategy and I've been eyeing up Xcom 2 on the PS4. Is it a timer that is running on your turns or is it a "You have X turns to do this thing?" because I can deal with the "get to the place within 4 turns" much easier than "you have 60 seconds to do all your planning and scrolling through menus!". The exact moment the final fantasy games lost me was when they switched from turn based gameplay to real time/menu gased hybrid mechanics, because that means I rarely use any ability more than 2 menus deep because I feel under time pressure.

It's a "You have X turns to do this" so you can think about your turns as long as you want to.

I totally get the complaint, and there's a reason why many people mod it out, but at the same time it's very obviously balanced around it so taking the timer out completely isn't a great solution either. A fairly well known XCOM streamer called Beaglerush messes with his games a lot, trying to find the right spot between difficulty and fun, and I think one his favourite solutions was to only start the timer once you're discovered. You could set yourself up strategically at your leisure, but once poo poo went down you did get the sense of urgency appropriate to the game. They're also pretty generous, giving you plenty of turns to complete the objective, so Beagle did shave off some turns to account for the advantage of being able to set up your strategy.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mighty switch force is my favorite eshop-only game(s). It's campy, but both are very solid.

Hate the soundbite when you select it on the home menu, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hand of Fate is pretty fun but it sucks a whole lot that whether or not you win or lose is entirely dependent on if it feels like recognizing that you hit counter or not. I lost because it didn't six times in a row. At least it saves quest progress so it's not a total loss or anything, but the annoying thing is that it not recognizing the input well is the only real difficulty in the combat (which is simpler, easier Batman combat). Also I countered an attack and my character rolled into a jet of fire, losing three times as much health than if it didn't perform the action. :argh:

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Dec 27, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I love the idea of hand of fate but it really should a been a turn based game when you fight, or something with cards, because the real time fighting ranges from boring to frustrating

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I was excited to play as Ghost Brother in F.E.A.R. 3 coop, but there are so few ghost powers and missed opportunities for fun puzzles with the possess power. Also Point Man is very underpowered in comparison to GB, and GB has a way easier time achieving mission challenges so the "bad" ending is almost guaranteed.

Also GB is a ghost, why does he have a shadow and can be shot by normal bullets?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kazil posted:

Most space horror games are pretty bland because it's just endless loving corridors. How does this genre get such a pass for being so uncreative?

Because they're all trying to be System Shock 2, which is an old game that didn't have the tech for much besides endless corridors until you got to the final level or two.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Why is there a stealth section in the Deadpool game? It's not very long or very difficult, but I'm here to be loud and shoot guns.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Leavemywife posted:

Why is there a stealth section in the Deadpool game? It's not very long or very difficult, but I'm here to be loud and shoot guns.

stealth segments became a box in a checklist for games around the early 2000s and they still crop up from time to time as a way to break up the monotony of the game loop.

for a while I thought fully driveable vehicles were gonna be That Thing this generation.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Whenever I think about checklist games in the 2000s, I think about Timesplitters: Future Perfect (2005), which had a gravity gun and fully driveable vehicles for absolutely no benefit to the game other than to ape off of Half-Life 2 and Halo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

stealth segments became a box in a checklist for games around the early 2000s and they still crop up from time to time as a way to break up the monotony of the game loop.

for a while I thought fully driveable vehicles were gonna be That Thing this generation.

I thought it was Crafting Systems. Or is that just the new RPG Elements?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

I love the idea of hand of fate but it really should a been a turn based game when you fight, or something with cards, because the real time fighting ranges from boring to frustrating

I thought it was going to still be a card game when it came to combat. If the presentation wasn't so good I'd probably refund it - I bought Arkham Knight on sale too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I just started Virtue's Last Reward and discovered that although the NA version has dual English/Japanese audio, the EU version only has Japanese :mad:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

repiv posted:

I just started Virtue's Last Reward and discovered that although the NA version has dual English/Japanese audio, the EU version only has Japanese :mad:

If you care to buy it again, it's coming to Steam next year, which shouldn't do the same thing. But yeah Rising Star were kind of idiots about it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh no :( I bought too many games and now I don't know what to play, this really burns my biscuits.

Seriously though; Someone in one of these topics posted about some huge terraria mods and so I decided to go destroy my game with as many giant fuckoff terraria mods as I can, but apparently there's just no single like mod database for that game. They don't use the steam workshop, the nexus page for it is barren. The only site is the official forums and trying to find specific mods on a forum is a nightmare, especially if you don't actually know what you're looking for. Kind of disappointing.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

I thought it was Crafting Systems. Or is that just the new RPG Elements?

Crafting is the new hotness, yes. It allows games to have rpg elements without needing to have actual rpg elements.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

QuietLion posted:

Also GB is a ghost, why does he have a shadow and can be shot by normal bullets?

To be fair, "shooting ghosts with normal bullets" has been a thing since FEAR. No explanation. You can just do it. It's hilarious and I love it.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Wild Arms 4. A good game in many ways but that's not what this thread is for.

- Battle takes place on a board made of 7 hexes. At the end of a battle a treasure chest will spawn and yield its treasure which you will only receive only if a character is in the same hex. Having the treasure you missed out on rubbed in your face adds to the frustration associated with random drops (as well as a further 4/7ths (at best) multiplier to the drop rate).

- There are *shudders* anime cliches including streaky backgrounds (sometimes with characters posing), creepy doll characters, heavy exposition including explanations of things everyone but the audience already knows, and antagonists who explain their gimmicks and become allies after being defeated by the protagonists, and of course, poo poo tons of corny dialogue.

- A platforming minigame requires you to lose no lives to get the high score but has no retry option so if you make a mistake you will have to kill yourself several times and then endure the level intro to try again. This obviously gets frustrating if you have to make more than a few attempts. If you finish a level you immediately go the next one so if you have failed to get high score then it's even more multiple suicides to retry because their isn't even a quit option.

- The best exp and money grinding comes from a semi-rare enemy. If you get it set up right it's amazing but the rarity can be a problem. It took me several hours to get a character to level 99 once (though that was much longer than usual) and if you buy items from the black market you will have to do that several times at least. The best accessory costs 8080 levels if you do it purely by the black market but thankfully I got around most of that and managed to buy 2 of them which were enough to turn around the Superboss fight from one-sided in its favour to one-sided in mine. As for the rarity problem perhaps they could have put in a mechanism to increase its appearance rate especially as the other encounters in the atra are utterly worthless.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

QuietLion posted:

'Cos bustin' makes me feel good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Oh no :( I bought too many games and now I don't know what to play, this really burns my biscuits.

Seriously though; Someone in one of these topics posted about some huge terraria mods and so I decided to go destroy my game with as many giant fuckoff terraria mods as I can, but apparently there's just no single like mod database for that game. They don't use the steam workshop, the nexus page for it is barren. The only site is the official forums and trying to find specific mods on a forum is a nightmare, especially if you don't actually know what you're looking for. Kind of disappointing.

Well, I'd suggest, asking about mod links in the Terraria thread in Games and seeing if that gets you anywhere.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728729

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blind Sally posted:

To be fair, "shooting ghosts with normal bullets" has been a thing since FEAR. No explanation. You can just do it. It's hilarious and I love it.

Also, you can roundhouse kick them.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Epistory is a cool little typing game but the movement controls are efij to have your hands ready to type at a moments notice. Which would be fine if the traditional wasd wasn't enabled as well. I keep bumping the d key and end up going in the wrong direction entirely.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
trial of purification in shadow warrior 2 is garbage. who thought it was a good idea

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I did. I loathe you, gamer :twisted:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RyokoTK posted:

I did. I loathe you, gamer :twisted:

get in line

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Got GTA 5, and I'm remembering why I never really got into this series. Like 10 hours of tutorials and just chaffeuring people around. It's like the Final Fantasy of action games.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
GTA5 is definitely a lot quicker than the rest of the series when it comes to just giving you some drat guns and action, but yeah for being a game called "Grand Theft Auto" it's a surprisingly chill and slowly paced game.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

GTA5 is definitely a lot quicker than the rest of the series when it comes to just giving you some drat guns and action, but yeah for being a game called "Grand Theft Auto" it's a surprisingly chill and slowly paced game.

I disagree that it gets you started faster. The game feels like one long tutorial for the online stuff. It's afraid to ever really let you let loose. Even the cheats don't really give you any serious firepower.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
GTA5 needed more heists. Like even if you doubled them you can still count them all on 2 hands.

And like half of them don't actually GET you anything!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

For gripes with GTA V, I enjoyed plenty of it, but boy did they not need to ratchet up the "The world sucks and is insufferable" angle of it.

After long enough I pretty much would've been fine with the ending being Los Santos getting wiped off the map by something, because everyone just got that loving annoying and awful.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Yardbomb posted:

For gripes with GTA V, I enjoyed plenty of it, but boy did they not need to ratchet up the "The world sucks and is insufferable" angle of it.

After long enough I pretty much would've been fine with the ending being Los Santos getting wiped off the map by something, because everyone just got that loving annoying and awful.

My brother mentioned while he was over in L.A that Los Santos was a pretty accurate replication of both the city and the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Action Tortoise posted:

I'd say mandatory stealth sections were an early 2000s thing but stealth returned around the start of the 2010s generally as an optional thing to do before you started popping heads (ie, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Dishonored, Watch_Dogs, Far Cry 3). This means that a lot of games now have light stealth systems to try to live up to the whole "total freedom!" thing but have settled into a rut where you sneak up behind enemies to instantly take them down and the enemies have no situational awareness or even ability to hear. That is until they go into alert mode at which point they instantly know where you are and the system is shelved until you kill them all.

The worst is when the mandatory stealth of yore combines with the modern generic watered down stealth system to make terrible, boring slog levels.