Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I really want to turn my Grixis Death's Shadow into Jeskai control, but hot drat are Colonnades way too much. That card has got to be due for a reprint soon.

Does anyone have experience with the deck? I miss Spell Queller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lmao people in the LGS groups are freaking out about cardboard prices crashing

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

How much is The Wal Mart charging for it?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
lol at using up two display hooks

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

I'm glad my LGS drafts with rare/foil repicks (and we do it in private drafts as well) but it feels like people on reddit consider it highway robbery not to be able to greedpick. What do you think?

They're bad because it skews prizing to heavily reward good players and heavily punish bad ones. Drafts are the best entry point to LGS play and it's a huge feelbad for inexperienced players to pick a sweet rare then have it taken away and replaced with worthless junk (on top of losing all their matches). And god forbid you forget to mention that it's a redraft (or you do tell them but they forget or don't know what "redraft" means).

All the stores near me do it and while it's nice to have cheap drafts (one store only charges 20$ for masters drafts), i'd rather just have more people to play with, redrafts have a noticeable effect of people showing up once, losing out and never coming back. One store even does it with the winner getting the first two picks, coincidentally nobody goes there any more.

It's totally fine in private drafts though where everyone is on the same page, but the "sanctity of the draft" poo poo is highly overrated.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I've done one rare redraft, it was in rtr and I pulled a foil deathrite. My last opponent was beating me and smugly said "I can't wait to get that card" so I said "suck my dick" and took my cards and left while the lgs owned yelled at me.

The end

i too deal with rude people by being an even bigger rude baby

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Eh the rules are very clear that the pile of cards you're holding at any given time are your cards and you can't expect to be a total rear end in a top hat and still maintain a ~gentleman's agreement~ to the contrary.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

C-Euro posted:

$15 Vials would rule hardcore and might be low enough for me to finally get over my weird hangup about buying Vials.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
On the one hand, there's an argument that redrafting the rares will prevent people from raredrafting and you'll have a more "pure" draft, because the players will pick the best card over the $20 land.

On the other hand, that argument is bullshit and if you open a pack with a $20 card in it, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to keep it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

“My deck should’ve had a foil tarmogoyf in it but the person to my right took it” is the same type of whining in blackjack

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Some Numbers posted:

On the one hand, there's an argument that redrafting the rares will prevent people from raredrafting and you'll have a more "pure" draft, because the players will pick the best card over the $20 land.

On the other hand, that argument is bullshit and if you open a pack with a $20 card in it, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to keep it.

The argument is also bullshit because for the few cards that are worth that much and AREN'T already bombs in limited outside of masters sets for obvious reasons, thinking that any random draft at an LGS is a decent representation of a "competitive" draft is a delusion.

There are always at least two or more people in any random pod whose "drafting skill" isn't conducive to a "competitive" draft.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
When I started playing around the tail end of Onslaught, my LGS only did RareDrafts, so I didn't know there was any other way. We also never had a problem with it.
I don't know any store that does that anymore.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If you have that much of a boner for ~the sanctity of the draft~ do magic the gathering online phantom drafts. Or free drafts in the offbrand clinet of your choice.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I've done one rare redraft, it was in rtr and I pulled a foil deathrite. My last opponent was beating me and smugly said "I can't wait to get that card" so I said "suck my dick" and took my cards and left while the lgs owned yelled at me.

The end

You're not the good guy in this story, just so you know.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

suicidesteve posted:

Yes he is.

Of course, I'm a spiteful dick in the face of glaring assholery, too, so :shrug:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Don't listen to the haters mbt

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

There are no heroes left in Magic Man

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rare drafting is fun when you're drafting with friends but it kinda sucks if you're new and then just get all the sweet cards you drafted taken by the guy who's been playing forever

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord

AlternateNu posted:

Yes he is.

Of course, I'm a spiteful dick in the face of glaring assholery, too, so :shrug:

Have you tried unsleeving and riffle shuffling your deck into oblivion?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Yes he is.

being a dick back just teaches the other person that they should continue to be a toxic shithead, because everyone else is too

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

little munchkin posted:

being a dick back just teaches the other person that they should continue to be a toxic shithead, because everyone else is too

if someone leaving the store with all of their legal possessions completely wrecks your prize support system then maybe you should consider offering some packs or store credit

see:

Elyv posted:

rare drafting is fun when you're drafting with friends but it kinda sucks if you're new and then just get all the sweet cards you drafted taken by the guy who's been playing forever

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

little munchkin posted:

Toxic shitheads are toxic shitheads for a reason. It's their baseline mode. They don't require a recipricating dose of their own medicine to remain toxic shitheads. They won't react to feel bads. They need a material deterrent to prevent them from acting on their toxic shithead mentality.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

I would have said 25 a few weeks ago due to all the demand, but I have a feeling this is going to be under 20 very soon. The prices are plummeting hard. Hell, vial is the most played card in the set and its going to be under 20 in a few days. It might settle at 15.

Sweet, I'll hold out for a while and watch the price then.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

They need a material deterrent to prevent them from acting on their toxic shithead mentality.

lol at pretending that telling your opponent to "suck my dick" is some sort of moral high ground

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

little munchkin posted:

lol at pretending that telling your opponent to "suck my dick" is some sort of moral high ground

???

My whole point was the moral high ground doesn't mean anything. The toxic shithead doesn't care about the moral high ground. That's why he's a toxic shithead.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Toxic shitheads are toxic shitheads for a reason. It's their baseline mode. They don't require a recipricating dose of their own medicine to remain toxic shitheads. They won't react to feel bads. They need a material deterrent to prevent them from acting on their toxic shithead mentality.

Bingo. You're not going to "correct" bad behavior by rewarding it with adherence to a social contract in a setting like this. If he had called a judge and the judge had penalized the other kid for poor sportsmanship then maybe that would have some impact.

People aren't rational actors. Stop acting like Economists from the mid 70's.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anyway, stupid rare redrafting can of worms aside, how is GP Portland going? I hit up vendors yesterday and was really disappointed. TcgMid (or higher) prices on most everything. Some vendors had displays priced higher than their own online stores for things that were out of Standard.

Was kinda shocked tbh. A few good deals to be found but it was a whole lot of panning.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

God bless this mess. Pray for me goons.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

When I started playing around the tail end of Onslaught, my LGS only did RareDrafts, so I didn't know there was any other way. We also never had a problem with it.
I don't know any store that does that anymore.

We had a store start doing it, everybody stopped drafting and even playing there except 4-5 assholes, and they went out of business. A couple of months later, another store started doing it to accommodate those assholes, lost the players that weren't assholes, and also went out of business.

Both stores got what they deserved.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Dead image, try imgur

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Image is dead. The image upload hasn't been working for me lately on the app.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
how much do stores with prize support charge for drafts, and what is the prize structure like?

I literally have no experience with non-redrafts outside of gps/scg events :(

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ooops.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The image actually is there but only if you go there directly

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

little munchkin posted:

how much do stores with prize support charge for drafts, and what is the prize structure like?

I literally have no experience with non-redrafts outside of gps/scg events :(

In my experiences, drafts with prize support have always been $15. The handful of drafts I've been to that do rare redrafts around Denver were all $11.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Drafts at CFB were 10 with pack per win and the store I go to now because it's closer is 12, also pack per win

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

$15, 9 packs for 1st 6 for 2nd.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My LGS is $16.50 for 3 + guaranteed pity pack. Prize packs by record:
3-0: 6
2-0-1: 5
2-1: 3

Yeah, they're overpriced, and their singles are 50% - 300% above TCGlow. :downsgun:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
12.50 with a pack or $3 store credit per win. If you go 3-0 you get the next draft for free.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Paul Rietzl is commentating GP Portland. I think it's his first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Star Man posted:

In my experiences, drafts with prize support have always been $15. The handful of drafts I've been to that do rare redrafts around Denver were all $11.

The two closest stores to me are...

$15
Two prize schemes
4 round (FNM)
4-0: 6 packs
3-0-1: 4 packs
3-1: 2 packs
Promos to the top 8 or so.

3 round
3-0: 5 packs
2-0-1: 3 packs
2-1: 1 pack

The other store is $10, half a pack per drafter into the prize pool, prizes paid out to anyone with either a 3-1(4 rounds) or a 2-0-1 (3 rounds) or better record.

I'd love for stores to do a $20, $10 store credits/player into the prize pool draft. The rake for low EV sets is atrocious.

While on a business trip/vacay I found a store that does $12 drafts, pack or $4 store credit per win, pity pack (but no store credit) if you go 0-3. I imagine it was a loss leader but was a fun way to kill time.