Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Anime Reference posted:

My parents sent me a Korg Monologue as an early birthday present. Look at this beautiful golden boy:

I'm pretty surprised at how much better even a cheap simple hardware synth like this one sounds than the softsynths I had been using before.

Hell yeah. Gold monologue 4 lyfe. It’s pretty insane just how much they packed into that thing for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
My birthday present to myself:

Thing's a loving tank. It's only about the size of a normal Boss pedal plus about an extra inch of width but I swear it weighs 2-3 pounds.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
a fun thing nobody knows about those pedals is the opamps are socketed so you can switch them out

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
All the parts on it are beefy as hell -- the knobs are solid metal and the footswitch is so stiff I actually thought it was broken when I first got it, since it took so much more effort than any other stompbox I'd ever used. I thought there'd be trim pots in it but I guess that's just the FatMetal.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The last thing I need is a new project but I have no self control when cheapish stuff pops up on craigslist.

~1980 Fender Lead II. I think it was originally black and had the finish stripped, the pickguard cut down and some weirdo humbucker put in the bridge position.

Its more like two single coils put right next to each other, the seller said he couldn't figure out who made it. No idea if the electronics work, I plan on getting a stock pickguard and something single coil shaped for the bridge, the neck pickup looks stock and if it still works I'll keep it.

I plan on cleaning up the neck and refinishing the body. It was sanded down to what seems to be a Fullerplast sealer which will not be easy to remove, so I'll just try to fix the damaged areas and spray a dark transparent mocha/walnut finish on top of that.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Muppets On PCP posted:

a fun thing nobody knows about those pedals is the opamps are socketed so you can switch them out

Yep but I wouldn't get my hopes up that it sounds much different. I think you would notice the differences in tolerance between the different chips more than the actual model of chip. That said, it is something that anyone can do and is a fun way of dipping your toe into pedal modding.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yep but I wouldn't get my hopes up that it sounds much different. I think you would notice the differences in tolerance between the different chips more than the actual model of chip. That said, it is something that anyone can do and is a fun way of dipping your toe into pedal modding.

yeah it doesn't really change much. i switched out the stock tl072s with burr browns and i guess it was slightly less noisy when you cranked the gain all the way, which sounds like poo poo anyway so who cares

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

DrChu posted:

The last thing I need is a new project but I have no self control when cheapish stuff pops up on craigslist.

~1980 Fender Lead II. I think it was originally black and had the finish stripped, the pickguard cut down and some weirdo humbucker put in the bridge position.

Its more like two single coils put right next to each other, the seller said he couldn't figure out who made it. No idea if the electronics work, I plan on getting a stock pickguard and something single coil shaped for the bridge, the neck pickup looks stock and if it still works I'll keep it.

I plan on cleaning up the neck and refinishing the body. It was sanded down to what seems to be a Fullerplast sealer which will not be easy to remove, so I'll just try to fix the damaged areas and spray a dark transparent mocha/walnut finish on top of that.

They cut that pickguard too

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Schlieren posted:

They cut that pickguard too

Yeah, that's another reason why I'm replacing it with a stock one.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Should be here next week.The wiring will be way more complicated than either of my other two builds, but at least I get a break on the painting and sanding.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Lester Shy posted:

Should be here next week.The wiring will be way more complicated than either of my other two builds, but at least I get a break on the painting and sanding.

Awesome(ly goofy)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Does that come with a "Trans-trem" or just some "licensed by Steinberger" non-transposing system?

The bar doesn't have any steps on it so I'm assuming the latter.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

DrChu posted:

Yeah, that's another reason why I'm replacing it with a stock one.

I'll take a piccie or two of my rebuilt Lead II some time soon for this thread...

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Because sometimes you buy a guitar simply because it's the trashy JC Penney catalog guitar you never got for Xmas

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Got a Pedaltrain Classic Jr so I could finally organize pedals and get them off the floor:

(I still have to clean up all the wires and poo poo with some zipties.)

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

betterinsodapop posted:

Got a Pedaltrain Classic Jr so I could finally organize pedals and get them off the floor:

Did you compare it against the Novo 18? I've just ordered a Classic JR but I have a few mini pedals and considering a switcher, and I feel like the Novo 18 might have been a better fit. The shop didn't have either in stock though so I ended up trying to work it all out using what they did have, and there's a nagging feeling I got it wrong.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Scikar posted:

Did you compare it against the Novo 18? I've just ordered a Classic JR but I have a few mini pedals and considering a switcher, and I feel like the Novo 18 might have been a better fit. The shop didn't have either in stock though so I ended up trying to work it all out using what they did have, and there's a nagging feeling I got it wrong.
I didn't. But, it does seem pretty nice. Is it a little bigger, or just a different shape?
As you can see, that loving Zvex pedal is loving EVERYTHING up on my drat board. :cry: Why doesn't every pedal have output/input on top?!

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

betterinsodapop posted:

I didn't. But, it does seem pretty nice. Is it a little bigger, or just a different shape?
As you can see, that loving Zvex pedal is loving EVERYTHING up on my drat board. :cry: Why doesn't every pedal have output/input on top?!

I think it might be slightly bigger but it's hard to tell from what I found online. It's 5 rails but the lower 4 have 1" spacing between them instead of 1.5" on the Classic. My thinking is that if things fit right then you get less dead space.

Is the Zvex chained to both of the pedals next to it? It might fit better with direct connectors like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rayzm-Connector-Coupler-Pedalboard-Straight/dp/B07116Q2N4

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Buncha crap from the guitar center dumpster.
The busted acoustic with the sawed off headstock is a Martin. The banjo is mostly complete. Off to the side a bit is the back and sides from a Taylor 614e I'll go through the box more tomorrow.
I just hate seeing this stuff wasted.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Another day, another pawn shop buy of something stupid

DOD FX69(nice) Grunge pedal. Early Made in USA version, with BUTT and FACE markings. Missing the battery door and the battery wires are taped together, but it works. Well, it makes noise, whether it's the noise it's supposed to make is questionable. Oddly enough, not unusable sounds

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Does the switch work?
Usually that vintage of DOD pedal the battery door is long gone and the switch stopped working in the 90's.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
https://imgur.com/gallery/g1hnDdx
80’s Peavey Foundation bass I just picked up.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Krustic posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/g1hnDdx
80’s Peavey Foundation bass I just picked up.

I love this. Super simple but not boring at all. How does it feel and play?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
And today's addition, 500mm(19.5") scale Harmony Les Paul-ish thing

Will get severe cleaning and new strings tonight. Hopefully I can get close to some kind of intonation, right now it is way off.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love this. Super simple but not boring at all. How does it feel and play?

It feels and plays great in my large hands. Feels super solid and has a nice glossy neck that is just right to me. It plays well in standard tuning and seems to play just as well in drop c# tuning. I’m pretty happy with it so far and I think it’s a keeper. I thought about sanding it down and staining with a dark stain that would still show the wood grain but I’ll probably just keep it as is.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yassss finally replaced my last FZ-2 clone with a new one.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Gretsch jet jr. Short scale bass plus one very good boy sitting next to it. Retails for 300 new in the US, I paid 450 because I'm living in a country with high import taxes. This is my first bass and I absolutely love it.

This is a lovely low res picture but my dog is in it so

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 8, 2018

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Seems just fuzzy enough to me. :kimchi:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
It's so cute :kimchi:

I found out after I got it that the wireless doesn't work with Windows, only Mac/Android. So that was a bit of a bummer.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's so cute :kimchi:

I found out after I got it that the wireless doesn't work with Windows, only Mac/Android. So that was a bit of a bummer.

I hated the stupid config util for the OG LPD8 so much that I figured out the file format and wrote a script to generate your own using sensible parameters. It's powershell, so no pretty GUI. No idea if it works with the wireless version. If you're interested I'll dig it up and post it.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Excuse the lovely pic but I got this 1980s Korg SDD-2000 delay for relatively cheap on eBay. Can’t use it on everything but it’s got its particular sound, and the main thing is it looks cool!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

AnnoyBot posted:

I hated the stupid config util for the OG LPD8 so much that I figured out the file format and wrote a script to generate your own using sensible parameters. It's powershell, so no pretty GUI. No idea if it works with the wireless version. If you're interested I'll dig it up and post it.

Sure. I'll let you know if it works with the wireless one!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

For some reason I was thinking about Toneloks last night so when I saw this in a thrift shop this afternoon I had to snap it up.

I had one many moons ago but sold it as ignorant teenage me did not at that point understand the different useage cases of OD and distortion.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

gbs but from 2004 posted:

Excuse the lovely pic but I got this 1980s Korg SDD-2000 delay for relatively cheap on eBay. Can’t use it on everything but it’s got its particular sound, and the main thing is it looks cool!

The stompbox version that The Edge managed to get Korg to produce for a while a few years back is a neat box, too, and a lot more flexible.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

rickiep00h posted:

The stompbox version that The Edge managed to get Korg to produce for a while a few years back is a neat box, too, and a lot more flexible.

Yeah the model up from the one I bought is the 3000 which is the famous Edge one as it has the preamp which people like, except they’re like £1200 as opposed to the £150 I paid - I’ve already got nice preamps so I don’t care too much about having the model down!

The stompbox version is very cool but I’m a sucker for vintage gear and filling up my rack. I’ve got a lot of decent plugin delays and access to a space echo so I bought the Korg sdd for looking cool and fun value more than anything!

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Bought a pair of boring but useful pedals:

The box art on the VD400 is delightful:

Dude looks like a Eric Wareheim character.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
"So I'm playing a bluesman suffering from 400 cases of VD, right?"

"...sure."

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
He sings about his startup running out of VC money.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I know a solo acoustic guy who pimps his act after telling you how he doesnt care about being a star. He makes Mr Behr Blues look like a stallion.