Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
drat I wish there was a Sharpe thread now.

Caff is Perkins?

Edit: Ban Daur is D'Allembord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Harper is like a mix between Corbec and Rawne.

Who would be the Cooper analogue? Shows up in early stories/episodes and then is injured and never heard from again?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Who is Stephen Maturin?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nuclear War posted:

Who is Stephen Maturin?

Dorden's cousin who joined the Navy instead of the Guard, presumably

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Man. Now I kinda wanna read the book about his and space Aubreys adventures

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They travel through the warp and discover a rare species of crotylid for maturin to study.

That would be interesting actually. As far as I know, the imperium only applies the term Xeno to sentient alien species that directly oppose their interests, but not native species of fauna like barking toads or grox. I wonder if the biologist division of the mechanicus are considered deviants.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 16, 2019

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

Also I've been reading the first Inquisition War book recently. It's an interesting read so far and its fun to notice all the slight differences between old and new warhammer fiction.

It's a great series but prepare yourself for an abrupt ending. It literally just stops in the middle of the plot without any warning and with tons of plot threads not finished. It was so abrupt I thought the ebook copy I had was bad and tried removing it and redownloading it a few times before frantically googling wtf.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

If that makes Gaur into Napoleon I'm having a fun time imagining a giant angry chaos marine wearing a bicorn hat.

Fun fact, Urlock Gaur isn't a Chaos Marine! :eng101:

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

a lovely king posted:

Follow up fun fact, if GW releases a range of chaos marines wearing bicorn hats I will never need to buy any other range of models for the span of my natural life.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

a lovely king posted:

No, but he does have Chaos Marines under his employ. So they can still wear the hats.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Randalor posted:

No, but he does have Chaos Marines under his employ. So they can still wear the hats.

Very true. God the Arnogaur short story by ABD is so drat good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Blood Pact do not kill Blood Pact! You-
"I am the exception"

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Bit late to comment on this, but I feel like it's worth mentioning that the Eldar managed to exist as a space faring race for millions of years without creating a galactic warp catastrophe. Humanity only took forty thousand. If somehow the chaos gods just vanished and the warp became quiet tranquil realm of souls again, I'd expect the Eldar would do better at avoiding another pangalactic warp shitstorm than humans.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Galvanik posted:

Bit late to comment on this, but I feel like it's worth mentioning that the Eldar managed to exist as a space faring race for millions of years without creating a galactic warp catastrophe. Humanity only took forty thousand. If somehow the chaos gods just vanished and the warp became quiet tranquil realm of souls again, I'd expect the Eldar would do better at avoiding another pangalactic warp shitstorm than humans.

You’re forgetting that they were the principle army in the war that created the original catastrophes that led to Chaos.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Arkhan Land is a turbo goon. From ADB's Bringer of Sorrow:

quote:

Land lifted his goggles to scratch the side of his considerable nose. He was not what many people would consider attractive, though most people weren’t what he would consider intelligent enough for him to give their opinions any credence. And besides, attraction and sexual tension were distractions from the Pursuit of Knowledge. You could spend your life flinging genetic material at other people, or you could get things done.

Land got things done.

Very amusing and worthwhile short story overall.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

The Rat posted:

Arkhan Land is a turbo goon. From ADB's Bringer of Sorrow:

Very amusing and worthwhile short story overall.

Who's the most goony of Land and Perturabo?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Land seems like a lot more of a pure strain goon, especially in this short story.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Plucky Brit posted:

You’re forgetting that they were the principle army in the war that created the original catastrophes that led to Chaos.

And yet it was only humanity's purestrain latent psychic energy that manifested three of the primary Chaos Gods in just a few centuries. It took the eldar mullions of years of murderfucking to spawn Slaanesh, while Humanity birthed Nurgle in less than a decade with the Black Death and Khorne manifested in the carnage of the middle ages and Renaissance and Tzeentch from the incredibly fast (galactically speaking) development of human culture.

The imperium talks about how fast the Tau have developed in the five thousand years since they were first noticed, but the Tau are still pretty slow compared to the utter insanity that was human development and expansion. The Eldar see humans as naive children but they are rightly afraid of the psychic will that humanity can manifest. We're like Orks but with more of a propensity for spawning giant psychic hell monsters.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

We're like Orks but with more of a propensity for spawning giant psychic hell monsters.
But enough about the Emperor.

Didn't the three other chaos gods being humanity's fault get retconned? At least I think I read that somewhere. It's hard to keep it all straight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought the retcon was that they were always there since the birth of the warp but they took an interest in humanity's rampant development and only really started to coalesce into their current forms after investing in our self destructive behaviors.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The imperium talks about how fast the Tau have developed in the five thousand years since they were first noticed, but the Tau are still pretty slow compared to the utter insanity that was human development and expansion. The Eldar see humans as naive children but they are rightly afraid of the psychic will that humanity can manifest. We're like Orks but with more of a propensity for spawning giant psychic hell monsters.

Wasn't the thing with Tau more that they have almost no psychic potential, so their impact on the Warp is so negligible as to not exist, while humanity are not blatantly psychic, but theres enough potential that a big number of humans can cause ripples in the warp?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Randalor posted:

Wasn't the thing with Tau more that they have almost no psychic potential, so their impact on the Warp is so negligible as to not exist, while humanity are not blatantly psychic, but theres enough potential that a big number of humans can cause ripples in the warp?

Yes, in fact the Tau chaos god wasn't created by the Tau but by humans. It's been described as a reflection of the human conception of the Tau and not a reflection of the Tau themselves.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

There a tau chaos god now??

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Xun posted:

There a tau chaos god now??

Sort of. There’s something out there in the Warp that helped the lost Fourth Sphere Expansion get back to realspace. Current theory is that it’s the embodiment/incarnation of the Greater Good as understood by the gue’vesa, created by their belief in it. As a result the Fourth Sphere decided to wipe out their gue’vesa in the probably misguided reasoning that this would destroy the weird Tau god thing.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

What

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Galvanik posted:

Bit late to comment on this, but I feel like it's worth mentioning that the Eldar managed to exist as a space faring race for millions of years without creating a galactic warp catastrophe.

I'm afraid I have some bad news

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Humans and other brickabrack that follow Tau philosophy made a religion and god out of The Greater Good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tau might have a low warp presence but their auxiliaries certainly don't.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Holy gently caress where can I read about Communism the chaos god?????

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/20/20th-mar-siege-of-terra-meet-the-authorsgw-homepage-post-2/

Full roster of authors for the Siege of Terra series. Some welcome omissions (James Swallow, Nick Kyme) and is generally cream of the crop at BL. The only weak link I can see is Gav Thorpe. No Graham McNeil is surprising as he's generally one of the better authors but perhaps he isn't writing for BL anymore.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

a lovely king posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/20/20th-mar-siege-of-terra-meet-the-authorsgw-homepage-post-2/

Full roster of authors for the Siege of Terra series. Some welcome omissions (James Swallow, Nick Kyme) and is generally cream of the crop at BL. The only weak link I can see is Gav Thorpe. No Graham McNeil is surprising as he's generally one of the better authors but perhaps he isn't writing for BL anymore.

Chris Wraight looks extremely chilled

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

a lovely king posted:

Graham McNeill is head writer over at Riot now, doing background stuff for LoL. I doubt he has time.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Biplane posted:

Holy gently caress where can I read about Communism the chaos god?????

War of Secrets

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tau might have a low warp presence but their auxiliaries certainly don't.

God that's a pretty goddamn neat way to justify it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

boredsatellite posted:

God that's a pretty goddamn neat way to justify it

And their taush overlords don’t practice the Great Tithe. That’s probably another part of it?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm like 65% through Betrayer and wanted to thank eveyone who recommended it. Holy poo poo.

I never thought I'd like Khârn or want to be his friend.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

moths posted:

I'm like 65% through Betrayer and wanted to thank eveyone who recommended it. Holy poo poo.

You'd love the night Lord's trilogy by the same author then. Starts with soul Hunter, you'll still be rooting for them by then end of the trilogy even with all the terrible poo poo they do throughout.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

moths posted:

If you like the World Eaters the short story "A Rose Watered in Blood" is also very good, dealing with how the flagship works after the fall of the legion.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moths posted:

Kharn's really just a good guy, a good bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Foxtrot_13 posted:

If you like the World Eaters the short story "A Rose Watered in Blood" is also very good, dealing with how the flagship works after the fall of the legion.

:smith: skane was also a bro